Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Now that the excitement is over

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Teams with good passing games don't have 1 WR that does 1 job...

Cards= Both Fitz and Anquan both are redzone threats..both run deep paterns, both work the middle of the field.

I can go on but i hope you ge the point. Saying we have a WR to fill each role isn't saying much. We need good Wrs. We are lacking that certified # 1 Wr.
    Very true, but who said we planned to have a good passing game? Hopefully, our passing game will be average enough to keep our running game great. Besides:

Berrian can do it all, he just needs better QB play.
    Rice can do it all, he just needs another year to prove it.
    Lol that's a great plan. Lets be just good enough to suceed so when teams adjust and schme to sto p us we are a powerless to stop them....Oh wait that happened last year.
    Last year, when teams stopped the run, we weren't good enough to beat them with the pass. This year, I hope that we ARE good enough. You don't have to be a good passing team to do that. 7 of 12 teams playoff teams (Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, San Diego, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, New York, and Washington) had average passing games.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Cards= Both Fitz and Anquan both are redzone threats..both run deep paterns, both work the middle of the field.

I can go on but i hope you ge the point. Saying we have a WR to fill each role isn't saying much. We need good Wrs. We are lacking that certified # 1 Wr.
    Very true, but who said we planned to have a good passing game? Hopefully, our passing game will be average enough to keep our running game great. Besides:

Lol that's a great plan. Lets be just good enough to suceed so when teams adjust and schme to sto p us we are a powerless to stop them....Oh wait that happened last year.
    Last year, when teams stopped the run, we weren't good enough to beat them with the pass. This year, I hope that we ARE good enough. You don't have to be a good passing team to do that. 7 of 12 teams playoff teams (Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, San Diego, Tennessee, Tampa Bay, New York, and Washington) had average passing games.
    I agree with the point.
    We don't need to have the Patriots or Colts offense next year to be able to move the ball effectively and score enough points to win.
    We should have a good defense that keeps the opposing team out of the endzone, and maybe now some receivers that make plays when the opposing team lines up 11 guys in the box.

But I do want to point out that Pittsburgh and Jacksonville actually had very good passing games, and Tampa Bay's passing game was fairly efficient as well.
    But these three teams were all in the bottom eight in pass attempts, so they look average in total yards.
    Here are some stats for each team that give a more accurate appraisal of their passing ability, in my opinion (team - Y/A(rank) - TD(rank) - INT(rank) - Rate (rank)):

PIT - 7.7(3) - 34(3) - 14(6) - 99.9(2)
    JAX - 7.5(6) - 28(9) - 8(1) - 97.1(3)
    TB - 7.3(8 ) - 18(20) - 8(1) - 91.7(8 )

I also think New York had a bad passing game - not average - led by Eli the Terrible.
    What a joke.
    I put him right in with the Trent Dilfers of the world (okay, not that bad).

Anyway, I'm hoping for a SD type team this year.
    Okay if not good QB performance, a strong running game, and a strong defense.
    Hopefully that mix can carry us to just as many wins as they've had the past several years, and a few more when it counts.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

Good teams aim for an elite passing game and rushing game. Are you serious?
    The teams you named have
    great passing games...
    The steelers can pass the ball with the best of them. I would put their passing game light years above ours.
    Health, Ward and Holmes are better than almost anything on our roster.

Jacksonville's Qb was extremely efficent. I believe he had only 1 int late in the season. Again passing game was better than ours.

San Deigo - LT is big in the passing game, V. Jackson is comparable to Rice but a little better. Then there is their TE and other WRs they go from the Fins. They have a young Qb that's holding back a great group of receivers/backs. Still way better than ours.

Washington - Injuried Qb was way ahead of where we were. I believe he threw for 2700 yaards and go hurt around week 13. His favorite weapon was his H-Back and backs. His WRs had solid seasons( not a lot of TDs) but I hink he Coach was responsible for holding the team
    back wih his 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

Again you brought up these teams that made playoffs. How many of them made playoffs last year. We aren't trying to build a 1 and done. We are trying to build an elite title contender year in and out. Why look at our passing game as secondary to our running game. Yes we will be good with an average passing game but think how much better we could be with a great passing game. It will prevent teams from scheming against us. I don't know if you realized but our coaching staff seems a bit slow to react to adjustments.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

The excitement is over?
    It is just beginning.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

no, I thought its over.
    I though we just speculate on what will happen, then once it happens, we wait untill next offseason.
    I'm confused now...

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    no, I thought its over.
    I though we just speculate on what will happen, then once it happens, we wait untill next offseason.
    I'm confused now...
    Confusion is good.

It also feels good to get this sig. back into action so C Mac D can look at Grant and Childress and complete the love triangle with himself.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    no, I thought its over.
    I'm confused now...
    Confusion is good.

It also feels good to get this sig. back into action so C Mac D can look at Grant and Childress and complete the love triangle with himself.

Gotta say...Chiller looks like a manly man in that sig! ;D
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:

The teams you named have
    great passing games...
    The steelers can pass the ball with the best of them. I would put their passing game light years above ours.

Jacksonville's Qb was extremely efficent. I believe he had only 1 int late in the season. Again passing game was better than ours.

San Deigo - LT is big in the passing game, V. Jackson is comparable to Rice but a little better. Then there is their TE and other WRs they go from the Fins. They have a young Qb that's holding back a great group of receivers/backs. Still way better than ours.

Washington - Injuried Qb was way ahead of where we were. I believe he threw for 2700 yaards and go hurt around week 13. His favorite weapon was his H-Back and backs. His WRs had solid seasons( not a lot of TDs) but I hink he Coach was responsible for holding the team

Again you brought up these teams that made playoffs. How many of them made playoffs last year. We aren't trying to build a 1 and done. We are trying to build an elite title contender year in and out. Why look at our passing game as secondary to our running game. Yes we will be good with an average passing game but think how much better we could be with a great passing game. It will prevent teams from scheming against us. I don't know if you realized but our coaching staff seems a bit slow to react to adjustments.
    I look at our passing game as secondary to our running game, because it is secondary to our running game. The Running Game is simply our strength and we need to use that to our advantage. You'll see my attitude as we head into the season. I would like us to run first, and keep on running it until the D forces us to pass. That was exactly my stance last year. The plan fell apart because our passing game was not good enough. Hopefully Berrian, a more experienced Rice, and a more experienced TJ will get us over the hump.

Those teams I mentioned were far ahead of us yes, meaning they were the middle of the pack, not dead last like us. Still, they are much better comparisons to draw than the Cardinals. We simply don't need all that, we just need an efficient passing game.

Personnel-wise I agree that you should aim for an elite team in all facets. In reality that doesn't happen. Everyone who has watched the Vikings for the last two decades knows that.

Strategy-wise, we have the personnel to make this offense work.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=44302.msg766832#msg766832 date=1208973022]

The teams you named have
    great passing games...

I look at our passing game as secondary to our running game, because it is secondary to our running game. The Running Game is simply our strength and we need to use that to our advantage. You'll see my attitude as we head into the season. I would like us to run first, and keep on running it until the D forces us to pass. That was exactly my stance last year. The plan fell apart because our passing game was not good enough. Hopefully Berrian, a more experienced Rice, and a more experienced TJ will get us over the hump.

Those teams I mentioned were far ahead of us yes, meaning they were the middle of the pack, not dead last like us. Still, they are much better comparisons to draw than the Cardinals. We simply don't need all that, we just need an efficient passing game.

Personnel-wise I agree that you should aim for an elite team in all facets. In reality that doesn't happen. Everyone who has watched the Vikings for the last two decades knows that.

[/quote]
    Balanced attack, able to exploit whatever the defense gives.

Balance is 60/40 right V!!!!!! ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=44302.msg766832#msg766832 date=1208973022]

The teams you named have
    great passing games...

[/quote]

I felt our team was pretty good when we had Robert Smith, Moss and Carter.
    What was wrong then? In reality it does happen. Aiming for a passing game that is just good enough is how you stay average.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast