Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not suprising

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Not suprising

"soy_ya" wrote:
    Is it just me or is it not suprising we all but gave ourselves the perverbial shaft in the Culpepper trade? Thought we were going to finally get rid of him with three teams majorly interested but of course they screw that up and now the only team that wants him doesnt even have their top prioritey on him at the QB position. Atleast we still seem very interested in giving an offer sheet to Hutchinson.
    we didnt screw anything up..nobody offered anything..the teams interested withdrew their offers because of dauntes injury..you cant say we screwed up
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Daunte wants to be here hes just feeling unappreciated. He's our franchise QB and shouldnt leave at all
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

soy_ya is offline Waterboy

"olson_10" wrote:
    "soy_ya" wrote:
    Is it just me or is it not suprising we all but gave ourselves the perverbial shaft in the Culpepper trade? Thought we were going to finally get rid of him with three teams majorly interested but of course they screw that up and now the only team that wants him doesnt even have their top prioritey on him at the QB position. Atleast we still seem very interested in giving an offer sheet to Hutchinson.
    we didnt screw anything up..nobody offered anything..the teams interested withdrew their offers because of dauntes injury..you cant say we screwed up
    We screwed up because we said we had already been offered a second round pick by one of those 3 teams and the Raiders and Titans said that was too much to give for Daunte so they said they weren't interested. We made a bluff and it didnt work out they way it was supposed to.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"OregonViking" wrote:
    I say Culpepper should stay right where he is. There is no urgent need to trade him. Who cares if some fans have a short memory or a personal problem with themselves. The "crimes" to date are petty and his attitude would totally change if they bother to try to change it.

If they want to deal Peppy for something that benefits us more than a proven 4000 yard passer, year after year, Moss or no Moss, then great.

But nothing is guaranteed at this point. Regardless of what the "news" tells you. He is under contract and will stay that way until the Owner of the Team decides to sign on the dotted line.

I still can't get over how fickle some of my fellow fans are. I'd be absolutely thrilled if we were somehow able to keep Danute. I'll send the haters a Packer bucket to cry in if we do.

Go Vikes!
    Ultra's going to be ticked if you raid his Packer Bucket supply.

But, on to the meat of your post.

Culpepper threw for 4000 yards exactly ONCE in his career - that was the '04 season when he racked up 4717. He came close in 2000 and 2002 with 3937 and 3853 respectively. So, he hasn't done it "year-after-year", and doing it once doesn't make him "proven".

His "crimes" are the LEAST of anyones worries. It's his prima-donna attitude. It's his increasingly adamant demands for more money. It's his incredible need to have his ego stroked more and more often in order to stay "happy".

More to the point, it's his on-the-field issues that concern the majority of us.

I truly think that Daunte has the POTENTIAL to be a great QB. He has all the PHYSICAL tools. It's the mental aspect that I have my doubts about - and I always have.

Comming off the '04 season, a lot of us - myself included - thought (hoped, prayed, etc) that his problems of the past were behind him. Problems like;

1: Fumbling
    2: Costly Interceptions.
    3: Inability to run a 2-minute drill in amything under 7 minutes.
    4: Inability to make good quick decisions in the pocket.
    5: Crumbling under pressure.
    6: inability to engineer late game come-back drives with any regularity.
    7: Inability to read Defenses.

'05 showed us how wrong we all were. Daunte was on pace to crack his '02 stats - especially the part where he threw 23 ints and had a QB rating of only 75.3. Sure, he was throwing ofr the yards, but yards don't win games, points do.

Most of us are all too aware that Daunte is under contract...but so was Terrell Owens last season. Remember him? He started belly-aching about his contract early, and the eagles - who had just lost the Superbowl - fell into the toilet bowl. How much worse would it have been had it been McNabb doing it?

Daunte wanted this to be "His Team". What did he do with it? He LOST. A LOT. That's what. He fumbled it away, threw it away, or simply was ineffective and we punted it away. He looked like a rookie being tossed into his first game...but he looked that way almost every week. once in awhile we had flashes of the '04 Daunte - like versus the Saints, or versus the Packers - but mostly it was shell-shocked Daunte.

But, as BAD as last year was, we were all willing to forgive him. We were ALL willing to chalk it up as a bad transition from a Mossless team, and allow him time to rehab and recoup.

Then he decided to "take charge". Never has a stupider decision been made. Daunte proved, the moment he fired his agent and began attempting to take control of his own destiny, that he was incapable of leading us anywhere.

Moss made Culpepper. I should use that as my tag line. I have never been more certain of that than I am right now. Seeing how Daunte has handled his own affairs, coupled with his inability to accomplish ANYTHING last season, I would bet HUGE dollars on it - if it were proveable.

So, are we REALLY fickle? No. WE aren't the ones who wrote the media an email stating we wanted Daunte out of Minnesota. WE aren't the ones who fired Daunte's agent. WE aren't the ones who told Zygi & Co. that Daunte should have a significant raise (Even though he produced nothing last season, and was still "iffy" on his injury recovery). WE aren't the ones who told Daunte to go hide in Florida after his injury.

Daunte did all that HIMSELF.

Perhaps HE'S the one being fickle.

Caine

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"Caine" wrote:
    Ultra's going to be ticked if you raid his Packer Bucket supply.

But, on to the meat of your post.

Culpepper threw for 4000 yards exactly ONCE in his career - that was the '04 season when he racked up 4717. He came close in 2000 and 2002 with 3937 and 3853 respectively. So, he hasn't done it "year-after-year", and doing it once doesn't make him "proven".

His "crimes" are the LEAST of anyones worries. It's his prima-donna attitude. It's his increasingly adamant demands for more money. It's his incredible need to have his ego stroked more and more often in order to stay "happy".

More to the point, it's his on-the-field issues that concern the majority of us.

I truly think that Daunte has the POTENTIAL to be a great QB. He has all the PHYSICAL tools. It's the mental aspect that I have my doubts about - and I always have.

Comming off the '04 season, a lot of us - myself included - thought (hoped, prayed, etc) that his problems of the past were behind him. Problems like;

1: Fumbling
    2: Costly Interceptions.
    3: Inability to run a 2-minute drill in amything under 7 minutes.
    4: Inability to make good quick decisions in the pocket.
    5: Crumbling under pressure.
    6: inability to engineer late game come-back drives with any regularity.
    7: Inability to read Defenses.

'05 showed us how wrong we all were. Daunte was on pace to crack his '02 stats - especially the part where he threw 23 ints and had a QB rating of only 75.3. Sure, he was throwing ofr the yards, but yards don't win games, points do.

Most of us are all too aware that Daunte is under contract...but so was Terrell Owens last season. Remember him? He started belly-aching about his contract early, and the eagles - who had just lost the Superbowl - fell into the toilet bowl. How much worse would it have been had it been McNabb doing it?

Daunte wanted this to be "His Team". What did he do with it? He LOST. A LOT. That's what. He fumbled it away, threw it away, or simply was ineffective and we punted it away. He looked like a rookie being tossed into his first game...but he looked that way almost every week. once in awhile we had flashes of the '04 Daunte - like versus the Saints, or versus the Packers - but mostly it was shell-shocked Daunte.

But, as BAD as last year was, we were all willing to forgive him. We were ALL willing to chalk it up as a bad transition from a Mossless team, and allow him time to rehab and recoup.

Then he decided to "take charge". Never has a stupider decision been made. Daunte proved, the moment he fired his agent and began attempting to take control of his own destiny, that he was incapable of leading us anywhere.

Moss made Culpepper. I should use that as my tag line. I have never been more certain of that than I am right now. Seeing how Daunte has handled his own affairs, coupled with his inability to accomplish ANYTHING last season, I would bet HUGE dollars on it - if it were proveable.

So, are we REALLY fickle? No. WE aren't the ones who wrote the media an email stating we wanted Daunte out of Minnesota. WE aren't the ones who fired Daunte's agent. WE aren't the ones who told Zygi & Co. that Daunte should have a significant raise (Even though he produced nothing last season, and was still "iffy" on his injury recovery). WE aren't the ones who told Daunte to go hide in Florida after his injury.

Daunte did all that HIMSELF.

Perhaps HE'S the one being fickle.

Caine
    Wow.. Great post!

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Now THAT'S a reality check, Caine!!!!

Great post!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

OregonViking is offline Rookie

Sounds like you're breaking up with a girlfriend to me.

I thought Reusse's article was an interesting take on it.

http://www.startribune.com/508/story/299892.html

Clearly we are dealing with Million Dollar Babies. He's a man-child. So what. There is no shortage of players who need help managing themselves and getting their mind right. They aren't athletes because they make good business decisions and manage to impress the coach with their communication skills.

The way I see it, if I fail to help each member of my team succeed, whatever their malfunction, then I have failed. Just because they are difficult does not mean I cannot overcome them and solve the problem. The Coaches and Owners are not incapable of working with difficult people, though of course there is a limit. But the fact that it ever got to be what it is and was not managed all along, is unfortunate.

If we can afford to keep Culpepper, let him get his health back and see how the season is going. We can trade him then. We can give him a shot. Who would you rather have ready to come in to play if Brad goes down? Culpepper, or whoever our backup to Brad would be? I like Brad. I think he can win with the right line and weapons. He has, in fact. But that does not mean that Culpepper would not be even better. And without two starters, I don't know how lucky you better be to make it all the way without a critical injury in any NFL team.

My goal is not to punish anyone. It seems yours is. My goal is to Win.

And I think you're dead wrong about Culpepper not being proven. Those games were without Moss half the year or playing as an injured decoy when he passed for over 4,700 yards, but that's not a proven player to you? Wow. Peyton Manning must be fired because he didn't win the Superbowl, AGAIN, then, right?

Bottom line. Badmouthing him just hurts the team. IMO.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Regardless what the Raiders say, they are still interested in Pepp, and just want to play hardball.. If Miami doesn't get Brees, they will for sure try and make a trade for Pepp..

The Vikes just need to stand their ground on this situation. Don't give Pepp away. I mean, do you really think the Raiders are wanting to go into the season with 2 unproven QB's? Don't think so...

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

"soy_ya" wrote:
    i know you are new here so i don't want to be too hard on you, but when you start a new topic, you need to do a better job with the title... "not suprising" doesn't offer anyone browsing the topics any clue what you are talking about. it wastes peoples time.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"briboy75" wrote:
    "soy_ya" wrote:
    i know you are new here so i don't want to be too hard on you, but when you start a new topic, you need to do a better job with the title... "not suprising" doesn't offer anyone browsing the topics any clue what you are talking about. it wastes peoples time.
    Thank you.

15 posts for him, 5 are new topics.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast