Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

North Practice Notes: DT Sylvester Williams Dominates

Dominant DT
    The star of the show for the North team on Tuesday was clearly North Carolina DT Sylvester Williams. He displayed a combination of size, strength and quickness that could make him a dominant player in the NFL. In a one-on-one drill with Kent State G Brian Winters, Williams used a quick rip move to get past the blocker and find the QB. Then moments later in a drill where the defensive linemen were working against double-teams, Williams split the two players blocking him with ease to make a play.

Williams, who goes by ďSlyĒ instead of Sylvester, measured in at the Senior Bowl a touch over 6-2 and at 313 pounds. He has a solid base and good upper body strength, which allows him to anchor well and also fend off blockers with his arms so he can penetrate the backfield to make a play or force a play the wrong direction so a teammate can make a play. There were a couple of times when Oregon RB Kenjon Barner was able to dance around Williams in the backfield, but I think you have to give the defense a break there because players donít tackle to the ground in these practices and because Barner is a great player in his own right.

Another impressive part of Williamsí game is his ability to anticipate snap counts. Iím not sure if this was a strength of his during actual games in college, but during practice on Tuesday he was able to anticipate a few snap counts, which made his already explosive first step even more explosive and his already dominant performance even more impressive.
    Vikings Blog | North Practice Notes: DT Sylvester Williams Dominates

Most of the reputable sites big boards have this kid slated to go late into the second round as most of the teams that need DT's ahead of us will take one in the first round.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    You and me both, my friend, you and me both!!!!!!

If we have two more drafts like last year we will be real contenders for the Super bowl. I think if we get a few more pieces this year we will have a good chance to win a playoff game and another good one (draft) we could go all the way but we need to hit on the draft big time for two more years.

We need in order of importance a #1 WR, 0/1 tech NT, S, Will LB, CB, RG, RT and a DE. We will not get all those players in one draft. If we could get a stud WR and a stud NT in this years draft I would be very happy. I would be estatic if we get a starter at S, CB or WLB this year. We would be looking at another 10-6 season and a wild card IMO. But I think we would have a very good chance of winning the wild card game.
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 01-30-2013 at 10:49 AM.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    You and me both, my friend, you and me both!!!!!!

If we have two more drafts like last year we will be real contenders for the Super bowl. I think if we get a few more pieces this year we will have a good chance to win a playoff game and another good one (draft) we could go all the way but we need to hit on the draft big time for two more years.

We need in order of importance a #1 WR, 0/1 tech NT, S, Will LB, CB, RG, RT and a DE. We will not get all those players in one draft. If we could get a stud WR and a stud NT in this years draft I would be very happy. I would be estatic if we get a starter at S, CB or WLB this year. We would be looking at another 10-6 season and a wild card IMO. But I think we would have a very good chance of winning the wild card game.
    Love the post, and the enthusiasm. Lots of conditions placed on this draft, but I get the point. As Kevon has stated, combine your positional observations for the Draft with supplemental FA acquisitions...then we got something going. In fact, that's my expectation...

Football basics, regardless of the amount of the "evolution of the game" remain the same.....score more, have a good turnover ratio, and stop the opponent from scoring. Sounds easy, but, we know better. That's what Ricky gets paid to deliver, in its most simple form.

I would argue that the Vikes need more explosive playmakers. With respect to AD, and, Percy, if/when healthy... vikes need - A WR that can snatch the ball from a DB. A DB that can snatch the ball from a WR. A QB that can convert on third downs, and, make plays down the field. Almost as important as the QB, a DL that terrorizes the QB.

As you point out, Vikes are close...and, I agree. Just trying to supplement your points.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Love the post, and the enthusiasm. Lots of conditions placed on this draft, but I get the point. As Kevon has stated, combine your positional observations for the Draft with supplemental FA acquisitions...then we got something going. In fact, that's my expectation...

Football basics, regardless of the amount of the "evolution of the game" remain the same.....score more, have a good turnover ratio, and stop the opponent from scoring. Sounds easy, but, we know better. That's what Ricky gets paid to deliver, in its most simple form.

I would argue that the Vikes need more explosive playmakers. With respect to AD, and, Percy, if/when healthy... vikes need - A WR that can snatch the ball from a DB. A DB that can snatch the ball from a WR. A QB that can convert on third downs, and, make plays down the field. Almost as important as the QB, a DL that terrorizes the QB.

As you point out, Vikes are close...and, I agree. Just trying to supplement your points.
    Thanks, a DB would be nice in the second but if we can get a disruptive force in the middle of our line watch how much better our CBs can cover. I agree about the QB also but we are going to have to see if Ponder is the answer for another year. Which I don't mind, so far Ponder has been a mixed bag of goods so I will be interested this year if he can make that leap and become a legitimate starter in the NFL. Hopefully he can and hopefully if he can't Ricky see it and addresses the issue. Good post.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Vikings Blog | North Practice Notes: DT Sylvester Williams Dominates

Most of the reputable sites big boards have this kid slated to go late into the second round as most of the teams that need DT's ahead of us will take one in the first round.
    I taped the game and watched it twice now, I probably will watch several more times but a few notes I took from the game.

1. There were some DT (warpigs) that would make my friend Marrdro happy. Sly Williams had a good game but if you watch the tape Kawann Short was a beast. He was quite a disruptive force in the middle of the line and consistantly pushed the pocket to near collapse on almost every play (reminds me of Phat Pat). John Jenkins did not impress me but I am sure we would be happy with him if he was there at #23.

2. The DEs were impressive with Datone Jones (UCLA) And alex Okafor (Texas) for the North Squad. They beat the O-line most of the time and the QBs were under pressure all day. The real start was DE Ezekial Ansah (BYU), he was just everywhere and is a superb athlete and reminds me of JPP from the Giants. We would be lucky to get this cat!!! He made a lot of money at this game, his stock is going to rise way up the boards.

3. The only WR that stood out to me that I would like to see at the Combine was Marquise Goodwin out of Texes. Sprinters speed , good hands and decent route running. He needs work on his routes but I would love to see what he could do at the combine. Terrance Williams was there and he will be a first round pick because he is the most complete WR in the draft but I don't think he has a very high ceiling. What you get right now is about what you are going to get for his career.

4. The only TE that would intrigue me would be Michael Williams, huge TE and good hands, good inline blocker, depends on when we could get him.

5. Linebackers were very good and good athletes too. Zavier Gooden out of Missouri is an excellent athlete and has fairly good instincts. I love his motor and his desire, he could be around in the third. Others who did well in the game are Khaseeme Greene out of Rutgers, he was Big East defensive player of the year I believe and had 136 tackles IIRC. Author Brown is another good looking LB we could draft in the middle rounds. Great athlete and always in the mix and around the ball. Nico Johnson (ALA) is a solid LB and a thumper, I would be interested to see his forty time and weight. Vince Williams (FSU) also flashed, he has good speed for a LB and another one I would love to see what his measurables are at the combine.

6. Linemen - I would love to get Warford in round three. This cat from Kentucky dominated all game and a huge road grader at RG. He is an absolute beast and I think he is highly underrated, although after this game he might start to fly up the draft board. Oustanding game for him, same could be said for LT Lane Johnson out of USC. He had great feet and technique, he definitely helped his draft stock.

7. The only DBs that I would bother looking at in the senior bowl were Jonathan Cyprien out of FIU, don't be fooled by the small school he is a baller. Great looking athlete and a feel for the position. Jordan Poyer had a few moments and can return kicks, a big plus if you want to get drafted. T. J. McDonald out of USC. Great athlete and a thumper, a little stiff in the hips and sometimes misjudges angles but had a great game and I would like to see his measurables at the combine and more info on him.

Well, those are some guys I saw and wouldn't mind if we got some of those cats on the Vikes. I will review the 2013 all star football challenge when I get some time. Great athletes at that event and some more cats that could get drafted by us that would defintely make an impact!!

Go Vikes!!
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 02-05-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    I taped the game and watched it twice now, I probably will watch several more times but a few notes I took from the game.

1. There were some DT (warpigs) that would make my friend Marrdro happy. Sly Williams had a good game but if you watch the tape Kawann Short was a beast. He was quite a disruptive force in the middle of the line and consistantly pushed the pocket to near collapse on almost every play (reminds me of Phat Pat). John Jenkins did not impress me but I am sure we would be happy with him if he was there at #23.

6. Linemen - I would love to get Warford in round three. This cat from Kentucky dominated all game and a huge road grader at RG. He is an absolute beast and I think he is highly underrated, although after this game he might start to fly up the draft board. Oustanding game for him, same could be said for LT Lane Johnson out of USC. He had great feet and technique, he definitely helped his draft stock.

Go Vikes!!
    I think Short made some money as well. Loved what he was flashing. He has actually moved ahead of Sly on a few big boards.

Warford seems to be way under valued based on what I saw as well. CBS has him as either a 7th rounder or UDFA if my memory serves.

I think Short made some money as well. Loved what he was flashing. He has actually moved ahead of Sly on a few big boards.

Warford seems to be way under valued based on what I saw as well. CBS has him as either a 7th rounder or UDFA if my memory serves.
    I would be bat crap crazy if we could get Warford in round 7. I think he is an upgrade at RG and is a dominating run blocker. He would add a few yards to AP total yards at the end of the year. He has decent footwork when pass blocking but that is why he is playing guard. I think if he can get him in here and improve his pass blocking he can be a great guard. IMO we would have to draft him by the third round to get him, we would be gambling to wait for the fourth round, but stranger things have happened.

Again as I feared as I was perusing some your mocks in your previous post I came across "Mocking the draft" which placed Warford at 30 to the Falcons, RATS!!
    Last edited by tarkenton10; 02-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.