VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

The Non-playing Season is finally here...

Okay, so now we start a period of multiple changes and I just wouldn't be doing my job as a fan if I didn't join in on the speculation.
    So I'll talk about our weaknesses and how I wish they would addressed.

Coaching:
    It may come as a surprise to some but I'm not going to give up on Brad Childress just yet.
    I don't like him.
    I didn't like the way he handled or used Marcus Robinson and from what I hear in interviews with the team he does have a problem with team chemistry.
    I've been saying all along that he is stubbornly sticking to his system instead of using his players to their potentials, however I think if he gets his guys in where he wants them then he might just work out.
    He has to go deep more often and throw into the end zone more often and I think he will realize that.

I think we need to get a different Offensive Coordinator though.
    Our offenses inability to move as a cohesive unit is as much Bevell's fault as it is anyone elses.
    I think we need a guy who can utilize our talents and call plays, so here is my suggestion: Mike Sherman!
    His zone blocking scheme will get the most out of our offensive line and help out the young guys.
    I think he can call plays very well and overall I think he is a good offensive coach who maximized the talent he had on offense in Green Bay.
    What do you all think?

Defense:
    Mike Tomlin needs to fix the holes in his zone.

We need more depth at CB.
    I suggest getting rid of Smoot definitely.
    I also think we should draft a CB on the first day and pick-up a top quality guy in Free Agency.
    Our run defense is amazing and will be next year too so we should see a lot of those 4 WR looks and if we can put 4 quality CBs out there it will help a lot.

I love the way our defensive line stops the run so I'm not ready to get rid of Udeze even though he failed to register a sack.
    However, I am very uncomfortable if Erasmus James doesn't turn out to be the pass rusher we hope he is or he gets injured.
    So if we replace Kenechi I won't be upset but I don't think we need too.

I think Darren Sharper's days in Purple are over and Greg Blue will be starting next season.
    I think we could use a better strong Safety too.

Offense:

Quarterback:
    I'm fine with Tarvaris next year. He made some rookie mistakes in his rookie season but I think with an off-season of learning, a better offensive coordinator, and at least 1 or 2 weapons he will do a lot better next season.
    I know Matt Schaub is tempting and I won't be unhappy if we get him but he is going to be expensive and I think we can improve our team more if we use those draft picks on weapons for Tarvaris.

O-Line: We need a new RG.
    Get rid of Hicks.
    In addition, we need someone else who is really mean on this line.
    We've got Hutch but he needs a "Bash Brother" who has a real mean streak.
    If we were able to get Sherman's zone blocking scheme that would help as well.
    I think we over paid for McKennie, but we'll see.

WR: I like Travis Taylor but the rest of them aren't anything other than #4 WRs except McMullen has a chance to be a #3.
    I say we go after Drew Bennett in Free Agency and use the #7 pick on a talented WR (too early to tell who will be worth picking).
    If there isn't a guy there at #7 then we need to trade up or down and get one.
    This team's biggest need is WR and we can't leave the first round without one.
    This way Bennett can be #1 with Taylor and our draft pick battling for 2 and 3 and McMullen or whoever at 4.

RB:
    Chester is great, love him to death.
    We've got good depth.
    The only position we don't need to mess with.

Special Teams:

We need a new Special Teams coach, I think.
    Ours this year was BAD!
    I think we should resign Kluwe.
    He was a little rocky this season but coming off that surgery we can't blame him and I really think he is an asset to this team and with another year of rehabilitation and a better coach he could be one of the league's best punters.

We also need a new Kicker.
    Signing Ryan Longwell was nice because it was a blow to the Packers but we need someone who has a chance of hitting from outside 50.
    I don't know who is on the Free Agent list and maybe Longwell is our best option but I think we need to consider other options.

And so begins the long offseason. Happy New Year every body!
    Only 9 more months until the regular season kicks off again!
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: The Non-playing Season is finally here...

Where you address a 4 WR set; how often do teams put in 4 CB's?

I can see 3 with the Nickleback in there with the 2 safeties, but 4?

I am not dogging you here, I just do not know if many teams field 4 CB's?

I know the Baltimore Ravens used it when they had Dexter Carter, Prime Time, Chris McAlister, and Samari Rolle.
    I don't think it used often but it is also isn't that often that you have a rush defense that allows under 55 yards per game.
    Having 4 quality CBs will force other teams to come up with something more creative than simply going to 4 and 5 WR sets to gain yards on our defense.
    The 4th guy (the draftee in my scenario but I suppose it could also be Devonte Edwards) might not get all that much playing time but he will be an answer to that 4-set problem. And, since we do play on the Metrodome turf, it can't hurt to have a talented Dime guy to step into that Nickel role if (or when) someone gets hurt.

I also forgot to talk about the Linebackers.
    I don't think Napo will be back and I think EJ will take over as Mike with Leber and Greenway on either side.
    Dontarrious Thomas could push for playing time and perhaps Heath Farwell will too.
    We'll have to add some depth there.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I think a stealth candidate for a #1 WR could be Joe Horn...the Saints don't really need him with all the YOUNG depth that they have at that position.
    Horn would be a viable option and an invaluable veteran that could ease TJs transition to full-time starter...with Bennett on the other side, TJ would have the benefit of two veterans that can make plays for him.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

I don't know if I like the idea of bringing in two veterans.
    I mean Joe Horn would definitely be nice but I really think that you need to build a team through the draft and if we signed two veteran WRs then we would be building that aspect of our team through free Agency.
    I really like the idea of bringing in a WR that can go through the learning process with T-Jack and they can build a QB-WR relationship over a period of a few years.
    If we were to sign both Bennett and Horn then the relationship there would only be 2 or 3 years where we could get a Peyton Manning-Marvin Harrison type connection if drafted a guy that was going to play for us 8 years.
    I think we do need a strong veteran presence from the position and if we could somehow get Joe Horn I would probably want him over Bennett but I still think we need to draft a #1 WR.

Honestly I thought I would get a few more bites on this thread, especially considering I suggested Mike Sherman should be our offensive coordinator...