Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 63
  1. #1
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,179

    No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    The Minnesota Vikings' 2011 home stadium remains in doubt, but their plans for the draft are not. In reviewing comments Thursday from coach Leslie Frazier and new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, it seems clear they intend to draft a quarterback who could jump in as a near-immediate starter when the season begins.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/36183/no-secret-vikings-plan-to-draft-a-qb

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boise Idaho
    Posts
    1,022

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    Good to hear. Hope we don't go after someone like VY.

  3. #3
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    Well as a day one starter..

    Blaine Gabbert - comes from the spread.. unlikely
    Cam Newton - has never been under center.. shotgun only while at Auburn
    Jake Locker - Likely, but how good is he really?
    Ryan Mallett - maybe, but footwork needs a lot of work
    Christian Ponder - might be ready, but durability issues are a concern
    Pat Devlin - project QB, very raw
    Andy Dalton - Comes from spread


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  4. #4
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    And if i can add the posibility of a huge smokescreen here


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  5. #5
    Vikes_King's Avatar
    Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,104

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1088129
    And if i can add the posibility of a huge smokescreen here
    Its possible, but unless the Vikings nabbed someone along the lines of Orton or Kolb, I expected them to draft a QB early.


    http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

    "We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

    - Dan Calabrese

  6. #6
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,840

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    Here's a couple of lists of potential QBs from a couple of teams that need one as bad as us...and, pick before us. :blink:

    This list is includes Free Agents, Top Draft picks, AND Trade Possibilities:

    http://www.carolinagrowl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=861:w here-do-panthers-turn-at-qb-some-options-to-provide-competition-for-clausen&catid=1:articles

    1. Cam Newton, Auburn: Probably the fan favorite and perhaps the most intriguing of the quarterback prospects with a very high ceiling for his potential. An outstanding athlete, the Heisman Trophy winner can make plays with his feet and arm but needs to improve fundamentals. There are questions about his ability to read defenses.

    2. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: At 6-foot-7 and 238 pounds, this strong-armed kid is much more of a pocket passer than Newton. He threw for 3,869 yards and 32 touchdowns his senior season with the Razorbacks. Phil Simms thinks he’s better than Luck, but at times he appears a little awkward in the pocket. The benefit is he played in pro style offense in college.

    3. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri: Another big quarterback at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, Gabbert threw for 3,186 yards and 16 touchdowns this past season for the Tigers and is rising up some draft boards. Teams are high on his leadership capability and strong arm.

    4. Washington’s Jake Locker: At 6-foot-2 and 229 pounds, Locker is probably a long shot to be the No. 1 pick. He threw for 2,265 yards for the Huskies last season and 17 TDs. He doesn’t have outstanding mobility. He’d be a tremendous stretch with the first pick and could even fall to the second or third round.
    The Cards got a poll up:

    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/01/20/20110120arizona-cardinals-starting-quarterback-odds.html

    Who would you like to see be the Cardinals starting quarterback next season?

    Kevin Kolb.19.60%
    Kyle Orton.14.66%
    Donovan McNabb.13.75%
    Marc Bulger.10.55%
    John Skelton.8.81%
    Cam Newton.7.78%
    Vince Young.7.00%
    Someone else.5.07%
    Blaine Gabbert.4.10%
    Ryan Mallett.2.96%
    Matt Hasselbeck.2.90%
    Max Hall.1.75%
    Derek Anderson.1.09%

    Total Votes: 1658

    Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/01/20/20110120arizona-cardinals-starting-quarterback-odds.html#ixzz1Bh4TGQdm
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  7. #7
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1088152
    Here's a couple of lists of potential QBs from a couple of teams that need one as bad as us...and, pick before us. :blink:

    This list is includes Free Agents, Top Draft picks, AND Trade Possibilities:

    http://www.carolinagrowl.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=861:w here-do-panthers-turn-at-qb-some-options-to-provide-competition-for-clausen&catid=1:articles

    1. Cam Newton, Auburn: Probably the fan favorite and perhaps the most intriguing of the quarterback prospects with a very high ceiling for his potential. An outstanding athlete, the Heisman Trophy winner can make plays with his feet and arm but needs to improve fundamentals. There are questions about his ability to read defenses.

    2. Ryan Mallett, Arkansas: At 6-foot-7 and 238 pounds, this strong-armed kid is much more of a pocket passer than Newton. He threw for 3,869 yards and 32 touchdowns his senior season with the Razorbacks. Phil Simms thinks he’s better than Luck, but at times he appears a little awkward in the pocket. The benefit is he played in pro style offense in college.

    3. Blaine Gabbert, Missouri: Another big quarterback at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, Gabbert threw for 3,186 yards and 16 touchdowns this past season for the Tigers and is rising up some draft boards. Teams are high on his leadership capability and strong arm.

    4. Washington’s Jake Locker: At 6-foot-2 and 229 pounds, Locker is probably a long shot to be the No. 1 pick. He threw for 2,265 yards for the Huskies last season and 17 TDs. He doesn’t have outstanding mobility. He’d be a tremendous stretch with the first pick and could even fall to the second or third round.
    The Cards got a poll up:

    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/01/20/20110120arizona-cardinals-starting-quarterback-odds.html

    Who would you like to see be the Cardinals starting quarterback next season?

    Kevin Kolb.19.60%
    Kyle Orton.14.66%
    Donovan McNabb.13.75%
    Marc Bulger.10.55%
    John Skelton.8.81%
    Cam Newton.7.78%
    Vince Young.7.00%
    Someone else.5.07%
    Blaine Gabbert.4.10%
    Ryan Mallett.2.96%
    Matt Hasselbeck.2.90%
    Max Hall.1.75%
    Derek Anderson.1.09%

    Total Votes: 1658

    Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2011/01/20/20110120arizona-cardinals-starting-quarterback-odds.html#ixzz1Bh4TGQdm
    Nicely compiled list. However I found it funny that the guy from the Growl has Sage as still a Viking. :huh:

  8. #8
    Brewtal's Avatar
    Brewtal is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    258

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    I'm just not a big fan of any of the quarterbacks in the draft. I would rather see us take OL at the 12 pick, lets protect the guy and help AP out a little better. I believe like we have seen in prevous drafts that QB's are going to fall further than people think.

  9. #9
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    Im sold on both Mallet and Newton

    If we land one of these 2 im more then stoked

  10. #10
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: No secret: Vikings plan to draft a QB

    Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1088161
    I'm just not a big fan of any of the quarterbacks in the draft. I would rather see us take OL at the 12 pick, lets protect the guy and help AP out a little better. I believe like we have seen in prevous drafts that QB's are going to fall further than people think.
    I agree. IMHO we need to build the line first and even if that means we struggle for a year or 2 with Webb at QB and end up drafting higher down the road to get the Qb we need.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. (merged) Secret "plan" ?
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-27-2007, 01:42 AM
  2. Vikings - Two-back plans remain a secret
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 01:29 PM
  3. Vikings, Lions and Packers have secret weapon?
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-25-2007, 06:55 AM
  4. Vikings follow plan and nail their draft
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 04:47 AM
  5. What was the Vikes' Secret Offensive Plan?
    By BBQ Platypus in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2005, 04:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •