Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: No more Brady Quinn Talk!!!!!!!!!

The problem with drafting Quinn is that we don't add ANYTHING to help our offense compete THIS YEAR.
    NO, we probably aren't going to the Super Bowl BUT if for some reason we make some good picks at WR AND the O-line gels on the right side (both Johnson and Cook are second-rounders (which tells me that they have some talent at least) AND TJack steps up and uses his weapons (both new-found and existing), then the Vikings might just be able to win more than a few games.
    Our defense should be pretty stout and possibly be even better than last year.
    All of our rookies that played on defense last year come back with some experience under their belts and we do get back our #1 draft choice from last year (almost like a bonus first rounder this year since he didn't play a down last year) plus we get back Erasmus and Dovonte as well.

All in all, we could be very competitive if the offense can start to move the ball and get first downs in order to sustain drives.
    Look at the Saints...they added Bush (when they already had McCallister) and Brees (who was the real key to their success besides Payton's coaching) and got pretty far in the playoffs despite having a worse defense than the Vikings had.
    We have a very young team (only 5 players over 30) and are in somewhat of a rebuilding mode BUT there is no reason why we can't add some pieces on offense and make it to the playoffs.
    Besides, if TJack is a bust, we can always draft Brian Brohm (much better than Quinn IMO) next year and only be a year behind schedule (but maybe not since we will have more weapons for him to throw to...and he was in a pro-style offense with Petrino so his learning curve wouldn't be that steep).
    Plus, there would be no QB controversy if TJack were to fail.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"jonnyb" wrote:
    "crazycw9" wrote:
    hey if they pick Quinn i be the first to get his jersey, all im saying is it would be a
    bad pick when we could use other players
    I agree. I think we would be better off giving Jackson weapons and seeing what he can do than starting over at QB. What I don't get is the arguments against AP. Yes, we have Chester Taylor and do not need a RB.
    What we need most is a weapon on offense. AP is a freak that we could use in many different ways to improve the O. Any arguments for Calvin Johnson could be used for AP, IMO.
    Except Calvin would start, whereas AP would not...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "jonnyb" wrote:
    "crazycw9" wrote:
    hey if they pick Quinn i be the first to get his jersey, all im saying is it would be a
    I agree. I think we would be better off giving Jackson weapons and seeing what he can do than starting over at QB. What I don't get is the arguments against AP. Yes, we have Chester Taylor and do not need a RB.
    What we need most is a weapon on offense. AP is a freak that we could use in many different ways to improve the O. Any arguments for Calvin Johnson could be used for AP, IMO.
    Except Calvin would start, whereas AP would not...
    Bush didn't start either last year...but he had a most definite impact!
    ;D

AP would do the same!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

crazycw9 is offline Training Camp

Cajunvike you bring up an interesting point.Give Tjack this year to prove himself,If he doesnt,then next year get Brohm.There is
    also Henne,Booty,White for next year's draft.
    Lets give tjack a chance and if it doesnt pan out then go forward and draft one of those Qbs in next year's draft
    No one thought Russell was a top 3 candidate last year. Maybe there is another qb that will turn heads during the upcoming college season and we can pick up in next year's draft
    Lets give Tjack the benefit of the doubt and not give up on him

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"jonnyb" wrote:
    "crazycw9" wrote:
    Not really...but,

If we were to draft AP he would likely be the best player available and therefore, the way I look at it, have the highest value.
    I am assuming Chester will have a similar year as far as production even with AP on the roster.
    Chester would be at the height of his trade value after we build him up as a quality proven starter.
    This is my logic behind justifying drafting AP.

If we were to draft CJ we would have...well....we would have CJ (and Bobby Wade
    ;D).

The assumption is made that if the Vikes select CJ it is because they move up.
    If the Vikes select AP it is because he somehow was there at 7. So they are not that similar.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"crazycw9" wrote:
    if we draft a qb in the draft i hope its in th later rounds,i rather have beck or
    kolb or anyone thats good in the WCO
    i think
    AP and Landry would help us the most if we stay with the 7th pick
    bottom line WE DO NOT NEED BRADY QUINN !!
    AP we could use as a star rb and share time with Taylor
    I would trade fason or even moore for another draft pick if we pick AP
    Landry is a beast, ive seen his highlights and some of his games,he reminds me of donovan darius but younger,even though we havea decent secondary but they are getting older

One more thing
    if Ap or Landry isnt there at 7
    I hope we trade and get more picks
    that be the best thing for us if there is a good trade out there
    You are probably right. But who gives a shit? Bottom Line - you do not draft for need in the top ten.
    You take the BPA.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "crazycw9" wrote:
    What other players are more urgently needed?

WRs?
    Didn't the NE Pats win 3 SBs with fair-to-good WRs, a great QB and great K?

So, which position player is needed most to improve the most?

P, K? - Ryan Longwell is about 32 yo, fairly young for a K.
    Kluwe is young P and developing well.

QB? - What have Bollinger and Jackson done to inspire confidence in their ability to take the Vikings to the next level? { count this as one area in need of upgrading if possible }

WR? - Wade, Williamson, McMullen. Carter are not much to speak of, but they can be good if [size=14pt]2 more good WRs [/size] are acquired in the draft or in final cuts. { [size=14pt]second area in need of an upgrade [/size] }
    RB? - CTaylor, Moore, Fason and possibly Pinner, did well last year.

OL? - Cook, Hicks, Herrera could yield two starters and a backup on the right side. One or 2 more OLs are needed for depth. { another area in need of depth, or upgrading
    }

TE? - got 3 quality TEs, no need for any depth with Dugan on the roster.

DB? - there's a dozen decent to good DBs already on the roster.

LB? - have enough to start and fill backup roles.

DL - perhaps some depth at DT and a pass rushing DE, but that doesn't seem to provide much promise for improvement.
    { a lesser area in need of upgrading }

..... In summary; WR, QB, OL, DL are areas in need of upgrades[size=18pt] or [/size] depth.
    No, first, the Patriots D did just as much to win the Super Bowl as Tom Brady Did.

Chester wore down last year and teams were able to focus on the run, he can't beat teams alone.

It doesn't matter how much depth you have on the OL if all the players still let people through.

WR... Worst comment I have ever seen, ALL WE NEED IS DEPTH AT WR, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? We had "depth", it's the fact that none of them would get open or catch the ball beyond 3 yards.

DB-Adding a great DB is never a bad thing, and will always help your team. Furthermore, we had one of the worst passing D's I have ever seen last year, granted a part of that is due to poor QB pressure. However, adding a young stud DB (Sharper is reaching the end of his career. will only improve the team for years

I helped you comprehend my writing with emphatic highlighting of key points.
    Too bad me misreading two of your points doesn't make your post any less idiotic. The rest of the points stand, and it's not like we are easily going to get good wr's in the draft/final cuts. Yes, I know you said if we can. Funny how you didn't even debate the rest of my points huh?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    The problem with drafting Quinn is that we don't add ANYTHING to help our offense compete THIS YEAR.
    NO, we probably aren't going to the Super Bowl BUT if for some reason we make some good picks at WR AND the O-line gels on the right side (both Johnson and Cook are second-rounders (which tells me that they have some talent at least) AND TJack steps up and uses his weapons (both new-found and existing), then the Vikings might just be able to win more than a few games.
    Our defense should be pretty stout and possibly be even better than last year.
    All of our rookies that played on defense last year come back with some experience under their belts and we do get back our #1 draft choice from last year (almost like a bonus first rounder this year since he didn't play a down last year) plus we get back Erasmus and Dovonte as well.

All in all, we could be very competitive if the offense can start to move the ball and get first downs in order to sustain drives.
    Look at the Saints...they added Bush (when they already had McCallister) and Brees (who was the real key to their success besides Payton's coaching) and got pretty far in the playoffs despite having a worse defense than the Vikings had.
    We have a very young team (only 5 players over 30) and are in somewhat of a rebuilding mode BUT there is no reason why we can't add some pieces on offense and make it to the playoffs.
    Besides, if TJack is a bust, we can always draft Brian Brohm (much better than Quinn IMO) next year and only be a year behind schedule (but maybe not since we will have more weapons for him to throw to...and he was in a pro-style offense with Petrino so his learning curve wouldn't be that steep).
    Plus, there would be no QB controversy if TJack were to fail.
    I like this post.

Throw in a few young players that can contribute:

AP (Offense) or Landry (Def)
    Gonzo/Rice in the second (Offense)
    Dallas Baker 5th

Along with a another veteran WR that might get released after draft/prior to camp and you will have the makings of a team that can win.

Remembering of course, they weren't that far off last year for all the griping most of you do on here.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min2006.htm
    Lost by 3 to Bears
    Lost by 5 to Bills
    Won't mention Pats blowout
    Lost by 6 to 49'rs
    Lost by 6 to GB
    Lost by 4 to Miami
    Lost by 10 to Bears
    Won't mention Jets
    Lost by 2 to GB
    Won't mention Rams

Ranked 21rst in offense (Bad but not that bad)
    Ranked 7th on defense.

Quit talking about Quinn.
    Lets start talking about adding a couple of playmakers and cheer up Bucky.
    ;D

It isn't as bad as the local press and Naysayers on here want to make it out to be.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567