Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: No. 7 pick offers many scenarios for Vikings

If we draft Quinn, I am coming up to Minnesota and having a few boxing matches with personel.

"vike_mike" wrote:
    If we draft Quinn, I am coming up to Minnesota and having a few boxing matches with personel.
    Suggestion: don't start with Spielman or Studwell.
    Try Childress or Brzezinski first.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikings are putting up a very good smokescreen...to cover up the fact that they will trade up for Calvin!!! ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"vike_mike" wrote:
    I'm sure they're quaking in their boots at the thought of that.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I will post my two round mock later (Oh goody right) ;D but here is how I see it falling out.
    Basically we stay at number 7 because a trade between Miami and Detroit causes Adams to fall to us.

2. Trade – Miami/Detroit - Brady Quinn, QB, Detroit (Miami gets a QB for the future even if they sign Green)
    9. Trade – Detroit/Miami - Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (Detroit still gets a pretty good OT and an extra pick(s))

Of Course someone could move up to Wash and mess this all up but I don't who would need him that would want to waste extra picks for a DE.

Minnesotas Picks.

7. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
    41. Sidney Rice, WR, South Carolina

For Picks 72, 106, 146, 182, 217, don't get wrapped to much around the actual name I stuck in there, but rather the position they are selecting.
    The guys I put in looked like they would fit our scheme (Cover 2/WCO)

72. Ben Patrick, TE, Delaware
    Strengths:
    Has adequate size and bulk...Smooth athlete who moves like a wideout...He has terrific hands and will make the spectacular grab...Can do some damage after the catch...Shows great ball skills...Versatile and can be used in a number of different ways...Runs good routes and knows how to get open...He gives great effort as a blocker and excels in space...Smart...Appears to possess exceptional intangibles.

Weaknesses:
    Timed speed and quickness are only average...Plays like a smaller guy and is not as physical or aggressive as you'd like to see...Production was solid but not great until he was going up against inferior competition...He won't physically overpower defenders as a blocker so he has to be technically sound & use proper leverage.

Notes:
    Played the first three years of his career at Duke and actually graduated before transferring down a level...Was a consensus first team All-American in 2006...An underrated prospect who just may be a hidden gem in a weak crop of seniors at his position...One of the best all-around tight ends in this draft when it comes to catching and blocking...Absolutely has the talent to be a starter at the next level.

106 Trent Edwards, QB, Stanford
    Pros: Very Accurate, tall and fast. Good arm strength and can make all the throws. Has great, not good, intelligence. He played on a team who's offensive line made swiss chees look like Fort Lauderdale. Was rated higher than Vince Young coming out of High school in most publications. Bill Walsh says he's the best QB to come out of Stanford since Elway.
    Cons: Got beat up a lot in his career and has never played an entire season. Could be injury prone, but that's hard to tell considering the pumeling he took
    Overall: He made the horrific decision to go to Stanford instead of attending any other school and paid the price because of it. Once a potential top 10 pick now should be happy to be in the first day of the draft. If healthy, will be an absolute steal.

146 Jacoby Jones, WR, Lane
    Strengths:
    Has good size and the frame to get bigger...A smooth natural athlete...Very good timed speed and terrific quickness...An outstanding leaper who will high point the ball...Good vision in the open field and is elusive after the catch...Explosive off the snap and eats up a cushion...Vertical threat who can stretch the field...Productive and stood out at the Division II level...Will be able to contribute as a return man.

Weaknesses:
    Did not play against elite competition...Does not have real big hands...Will drop some balls...Is not very physical and won't work over the middle much...Doesn't run great routes...Needs to display better concentration...Still very raw and will need a lot of work when it comes to the nuances of the position...Needs to bulk up and get stronger...Sub par blocker...Takes too many chances as a return man.

Notes:
    He did not play much football at the prep level and accepted a track scholarship to Southeastern Louisiana out of high school in 2002 before transferring to Lane in 2003...Also ran track and played basketball at Lane...One of the standouts of the East / West Shrine game, just like Marques Colston was a year ago...Has all the physical tools you look for...Should be one of the top sleepers available this year.

182 Deandre Jackson, CB, Iowas St.
    Strengths:
    Size and speed are adequate...Has good quickness...Phenomenal instincts...Gets good jumps and knocks down a lot of balls...Pretty physical and aggressive...Solid tackler who will support the run...Great technician who does all of the little things well...Also has experience as a kick returner and can contribute on special teams.

Weaknesses:
    Durability is a major concern...An average athlete who lacks make up speed and a burst...Does not have fluid hips...Gives too big of a cushion...He should probably make more plays for as much as he's around the ball...Not a fit for every scheme.

Notes:
    He did not play his junior season in high school due to a bruised kidney and then tore his ACL and missed half of his senior season with the Cyclones...Underrated prospect who will more than likely slip a bit since he is just coming off of a serious injury...A potential steal whose best fit could come in a Cover 2 or zone scheme.

217 Marquay McDaniel, WR, Hampton.
    Strengths:
    A smooth athlete...Very athletic...A terrific route runner...More quick than fast with great change of direction...Elusive and has a burst...Great hands...A hard worker and team leader with top intangibles...Solid blocker...Can return kicks and punts.

Weaknesses:
    Size is only average...Timed speed is nothing special...Needs to get stronger...Will get jammed at the line...Is not a deep threat...Won't run away from anyone and go the distance...His upside may be limited...Didn't play against elite competition.

Notes:
    The type who does most everything well but nothing great...Will never be a star in the NFL but could make a roster and contribute as a backup wideout...His most significant contributions might come on special teams...Profiles as a slot receiver.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Just a side note, this is the only topic regarding the Minnesota Vikings on the homepage under latest talk, shows how slow the offseason has been.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    IMO, there is not a
    player out there that is an "absolutely have to have", other than perhaps Calvin Johnson, but I highly doubt he will be available at number 7.
    I think that if CJ, Quinn, Thomas or Adams are available at the number 7 pick, then we will take one of the.
    If not, I expect us to trade down.
    I don't envision Quinn as an "absolutely have to have" & if he's there at number 7 I think the Vikings would trade that pick, becuse it should bring good value.

Childress drafted his QB in T-Jack last year & I don't believe he would take another QB in the first round.

IMO, he will stick with T-Jack as his starting QB to save face. T-Jack was his star pick from last year. His project, that he has & is, molding into the type of QB he wants for the future of the Vikings.

To draft another QB with the 1st pick & give competition for the starting role, might give fans & T-Jack the impression that Childress feels his last years QB pick was a flop or he doesn't have faith in him.

IMO, Childress' ego is to big to let that happen. Especially when he was highly touted as one who could train & mold QB's.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

That TE sounds like a poor man's Jermaine Wiggins. Why would we draft him? He can't "stretch the field" like the TE that everyone says we need. Yes I am still bitter than we let Wiggy go, and I will be until Shiancoe outperforms him.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V-Unit" wrote:
    That TE sounds like a poor man's Jermaine Wiggins. Why would we draft him? He can't "stretch the field" like the TE that everyone says we need. Yes I am still bitter than we let Wiggy go, and I will be until Shiancoe outperforms him.
    That shouldn't be to tough based on his performance from last year.
    ;D

For Picks 72, 106, 146, 182, 217, don't get wrapped to much around the actual name I stuck in there, but rather the position they are selecting.
    The guys I put in looked like they would fit our scheme (Cover 2/WCO)
    Feel free to give me a better option.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

davike is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    The Vikings are putting up a very good smokescreen...to cover up the fact that they will trade up for Calvin!!! ;D
    I think they are secretly negotiating a trade for Vick at this very moment ;D

I wouldn't mind trading up for CJ in the least.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast