Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

No. 7 pick offers many scenarios for Vikings

[size=13pt]No. 7 pick offers many scenarios for Vikings[/size]

Spielman says team may swap draft slot if situation is right

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 04/04/2007 12:33:05 AM CDT

Despite a glaring need at wide receiver, the Vikings could end up waiting until the second or third round of the April 28-29 NFL draft to select a pass catcher, and they might be willing to trade down in the first round from the No. 7 spot, depending on who's available. Vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman touched on those subjects and more during an interview Tuesday with the Pioneer Press.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: No. 7 pick offers many scenarios for Vikings

Q: You mentioned the possibility of trading down to accumulate more picks. What are the chances of that happening?

A: That's something we may look at, but if there's a guy we feel strongly about that's sitting there at No. 7, that this is a guy we can't pass on because he's going to make that much of a difference for us, then we're going to definitely take that player.

Q: Do you expect there will be much interest in the pick?

A: I don't know. I guess it depends on who's there. If there is, then I'm sure we'd be willing to possibly trade down, unless it's a player we think we absolutely have to have.
    Sounds to me like the plan is to trade down their no. 7 pick.

It all depends on their definition of "absolutely have to have"

IMO, there is not a
    player out there that is an "absolutely have to have", other than perhaps Calvin Johnson, but I highly doubt he will be available at number 7.

I don't feel Childress would trade up to acquire Johnson either.

From what I have seen of Childress signings of players so far, he has not signed any high profile big name players, but for the most part, has signed players that are lesser known by the football world.

I think he will go for "value" & trade down maybe even more than one of our picks to acquire additional picks to draft "more" lesser know quality players.

Either way, we won't jnow until draft day when the Vikings are on the clock for the 7th overall pick.

Then & only then, will we know who has already been taken, who is still available & does the best player still available fit our needs & an absolutely must have.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

yeah something's up, i see Bchill is doin what he wants and keeping the mystery alive until draft day.

here's hoping for a good set of picks!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

[quote][I don't feel Childress would trade up to acquire Johnson either.
    /quote]

Gotta agree with you on this one.

I have a mock draft that has them moving up and swapping with the Bucs, however, because of the emphasis on the draft to build a team, I just don't see them giving up multiple picks for one player.

Should be an interesting draft.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    IMO, there is not a
    player out there that is an "absolutely have to have", other than perhaps Calvin Johnson, but I highly doubt he will be available at number 7.
    I think that if CJ, Quinn, Thomas or Adams are available at the number 7 pick, then we will take one of the.
    If not, I expect us to trade down.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    IMO, there is not a
    I think that if CJ, Quinn, Thomas or Adams are available at the number 7 pick, then we will take one of the.
    I agree.

The odds of one of those you mentioned being available at 7 are good.....

Russell will be gone before 7, as will CJohnson.
    Either the current 6 teams will draft them, or a desperate team will trade up into 1-6 to pick them.
    A Peterson and Thomas most likely will go in 2-6.
    That leaves 3 more slots for Quinn and Adams.
    It's possible a DE and S Landry could be drafted in 4-6, allowing Adams or Quinn to fall to 7.

I also think the extract was taken out of context; i.e. the reporter asked Spielman about a specific scenario of trading backward and Spielman acknowledged the POSSIBILITY of trading backward, described how it could occur (i.e. all 'must have' players are gone) and what might be done in that case.
    We know all of that is logical and makes (common) sense.
    What we don't know NOW are the 'must have' players names.... and who will be drafted in slots 1-6.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    IMO, there is not a
    I agree.

The odds of one of those you mentioned being available at 7 are good.....

Russell will be gone before 7, as will CJohnson.
    Either the current 6 teams will draft them, or a desperate team will trade up into 1-6 to pick them.
    A Peterson and Thomas most likely will go in 2-6.
    That leaves 3 more slots for Quinn and Adams.
    It's possible a DE and S Landry could be drafted in 4-6, allowing Adams or Quinn to fall to 7.

I also think the extract was taken out of context; i.e. the reporter asked Spielman about a specific scenario of trading backward and Spielman acknowledged the POSSIBILITY of trading backward, described how it could occur (i.e. all 'must have' players are gone) and what might be done in that case.
    We know all of that is logical and makes (common) sense.

What we don't know NOW are the 'must have' players names.... and who will be drafted in slots 1-6.
    Good stuff.

The whole trade down scenario just bothers me a bit.
    I would love to see them do it because of the emphasis the staff is putting on the draft, however, what will be left at 7 that someone would desire enough to move up for?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6421386

We can only hope that they go in the following order so that there is someone at #7 worth trading up for.

JaMarcus Russell
    Joe Thomas
    Adrian Peterson/Quinn

Calvin Johnson

Gaines Adams

LaRon Landry
    Brady Quinn/Peterson

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Trade down to 15 w/ Pittsburgh, get Max Starks. We may have to throw in a later round pick too, but who cares.

Draft Meachem, Bowe, or Jarrett at 15.

If we get Starks we move Marcus Johnson back to guard, where we drafted him to play. And basically have an amazing offensive line. Basically any receiver is an upgrade from what we have now, but I think the guy who could make the most impact for us is Dwayne Jarrett. he stands out from the other receivers that will be available at 15 just because of his size, leaping ability, and super glue hands. He'll catch those red zone TDs that eluded us all of last year.

If Williamson can straighten himself out, Williamson-Jarrett would be a pretty nice 1-2 at WR.

And it doesn't hurt that Pittsburgh's HC was our defensive coordinator last year. They could move up and get LaRon Landry, someone I'm sure Tomlin is crazy about, and with Troy "spearhead" Polamalu's brain health questionable they wouldn't pass up on a safety like him.

Just on a side note. It annoys the hell out of me that Polamalu never gets called for leading with his head, even though he does on every tackle.... which is why he's had 8 concussions since his senior year of high school.

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

I think that we should trade down to get Jarrett. Just logical to get a possession receiver in the draft. I think that is what has hindered the Vikings for the last 5 years. We don't have Cris Carter making the big first down catches anymore, we need a receiver like that. Until we change coaches, I don't think we have many playoff hopes.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

"ballhog27" wrote:
    I think that we should trade down to get Jarrett. Just logical to get a possession receiver in the draft. I think that is what has hindered the Vikings for the last 5 years. We don't have Cris Carter making the big first down catches anymore, we need a receiver like that. Until we change coaches, I don't think we have many playoff hopes.
    Who do we trade down with?

They could move up and get LaRon Landry, someone I'm sure Tomlin is crazy
    Mr. A, that makes sense but if it goes like I have it Landry isn't there anymore.
    The Redskins however, don't have alot of picks, Landry would be there at 6, Steelers would move up and take Landry and Skins get extra picks.

Again, it comes back to Quinn and Peterson, I think, on whether we can trade down with someone.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast