Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

With NFL's new salary cap, Vikings will find a way

For 10 years Rob Brzezinski has been the man who signs most of the Vikings players and handles the salary cap.

But Brzezinski, one of the best in the business, never has faced a challenge like this year with such a short time to try to sign the team's own free agents, free agents from other teams, undrafted free agents who are needed to fill the 90-man roster expected in camp Monday, and, last but not least, the Vikings' draft choices
    With NFL's new salary cap, the Vikings will find a way

Its almost like our owner didn't cut our CAPOLOGIST in on what the owners plans were gonna be for the new CBA.

Other teams were ready. Sure seems like ole Bryzcheapski got caught with his pen up his, well, you know what on this one.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: With NFL's new salary cap, Vikings will find a way

The Vikings will definitely bring back nose tackle Pat Williams if they can sign him for the right price. However, the days of free-agent defensive end Ray Edwards being a Viking are over. One quarterback the Vikings didn't have any interest in was Vince Young, whom current Vikings quarterback coach Craig Johnson coached last year with Tennessee. The Titans released Young on
    A little nugget, buried deep for those who don't actually read the articles....

I've been speculating that they will bring Phat Pat back, but in a limited role. Hope this rumor is true.

Saw an article that says the Browns are the bidder after Ray.

Glad we didnt' go after VY.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1101801
    The Vikings will definitely bring back nose tackle Pat Williams if they can sign him for the right price. However, the days of free-agent defensive end Ray Edwards being a Viking are over. One quarterback the Vikings didn't have any interest in was Vince Young, whom current Vikings quarterback coach Craig Johnson coached last year with Tennessee. The Titans released Young on
    A little nugget, buried deep for those who don't actually read the articles....

I've been speculating that they will bring Phat Pat back, but in a limited role. Hope this rumor is true.

Saw an article that says the Browns are the bidder after Ray.

Glad we didnt' go after VY.
    I can agree there. I wouldn't want to overpay for Pat, since we need our cap room for other holes as well, but at a modest salary reflecting how he doesn't play a full series, He'd be a great option for a couple years until our younger guys get more comfortable and ready to be a starter.

delviking is offline Starter

i agree Pat is still got an 8th of a tank left though Id use him and the new guy as our DTs during goal line situations and 3rd and short, but thats all hes just not got enough to be the 2 down guy he was during his first years here.

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1101862
    i agree Pat is still got an 8th of a tank left though Id use him and the new guy as our DTs during goal line situations and 3rd and short, but thats all hes just not got enough to be the 2 down guy he was during his first years here.
    I think he could be even more productive, especially late in the game, if he were to only come in on certain situations during the first 3 quarters and then used alot in the 4th.

My guess, he could still put up 40 tackles and still be good at collapsing the pocket on passing downs if he wasn't used as much. If nothing else, he is better that Evans.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1101800
    For 10 years Rob Brzezinski has been the man who signs most of the Vikings players and handles the salary cap.

But Brzezinski, one of the best in the business, never has faced a challenge like this year with such a short time to try to sign the team's own free agents, free agents from other teams, undrafted free agents who are needed to fill the 90-man roster expected in camp Monday, and, last but not least, the Vikings' draft choices
    With NFL's new salary cap, the Vikings will find a way

Its almost like our owner didn't cut our CAPOLOGIST in on what the owners plans were gonna be for the new CBA.

Other teams were ready. Sure seems like ole Bryzcheapski got caught with his pen up his, well, you know what on this one.
    Under the new CBA for the next 2 years teams can borrow cap space from future years, 3 mill this year and 1.5 next year so there is some wiggle room and the cap for salaries doesn't

Transition rules[/quote]

Also
    A note on salary cap savings
    Heres the key thing to remember: If a player is cut or traded now, their entire salary cap hit comes off the books for 2011. The old June 1? rule applies.

So when Cowboys receiver Roy Williams was cut, the pro-rated bonus money got pushed to next years cap. (Theyll have over $20 million pushed to next year.
    Teams can be doing things that are going to make the next couple of years look pretty rought for them.

And I'm sure Rob knew the direction the cap was headed or Rice, Edwards and Peterson would have had contracts reworked last year and some of the guys last year that were brought in on one year contracts may have got 2 year deals.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

To me it looks like we are going to dance with the girl we brought to the dance this year. Not really surprising considering the inept fashion Wilf handles the past coach, the stadium plans and everything else.

The head brass at the Vikings are in over their head and until the hire a real, honest, bona fide GM to run things we are going to be a second level franchise.