Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MindFreak is offline Starter

Re: NFL Offseason Roadmap: Minnesota Vikings

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    From the article:
    The Vikings passing problems weren't entirely because of quarterback problems. Minnesota boasted one of the worst groups of wide receivers in the NFL. Bobby Wade led the team with only 54 catches, while no other Vikings wideout had more than 400 yards all season
    Ahhhhh, isn't that somewhat due to the fact that the Vikings were a running first, pass second team. The entire offense was keyed around their run game. The pass blocking was terrible most of the season and we had an inexperienced QB. So why blame it on the receivers. Even if we had Moss we would have been near the bottom of the list in receptions.
    I got to agree with Marrdro, there are far greater needs than a WR. It starts up from with a pass blocking line and then good safeties.
    Wouldn't Pittsburgh be considered run first? Holmes had 991 receiving yards
    Ward had 871 receiving yards
    SD they're considered run first - Chambers 1248, of course some of that was with the Dolphins
    Chicago aren't they are grind it out team? Berrian 948 yards
    Redskins, they are run first - Santana Moss 876 yards
    Randel El 822 yards
    You can't be let down if you don't expect the world

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"MindFreak" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    From the article:
    The Vikings passing problems weren't entirely because of quarterback problems. Minnesota boasted one of the worst groups of wide receivers in the NFL. Bobby Wade led the team with only 54 catches, while no other Vikings wideout had more than 400 yards all season
    Ahhhhh, isn't that somewhat due to the fact that the Vikings were a running first, pass second team. The entire offense was keyed around their run game. The pass blocking was terrible most of the season and we had an inexperienced QB. So why blame it on the receivers. Even if we had Moss we would have been near the bottom of the list in receptions.
    I got to agree with Marrdro, there are far greater needs than a WR. It starts up from with a pass blocking line and then good safeties.
    SD they're considered run first - Chambers 1248, of course some of that was with the Dolphins
    Randel El 822 yards
    You are missing the point of my thread. It's a combinations of things...blocking, inexperience, and a run first mentality. None of your other teams had all of those things in combination going for them.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"MindFreak" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    From the article:
    Randel El 822 yards
    There are alot of things that degraded our passing prowess this year.........

a.
    Not alot of sustained drives.
    If they aren't on the field they don't get yards (via the pass or the run).

b.
    WR issues.
    I still contend that if we can add the last piece to this puzzle (Field stretcher that can get off the line clean and catch the ball) our pass production will go up.
    Additionally, if you have to keep a FB and 2 TE's in to help pass protect then you have less WR's on the field.

c.
    QB issues.
    Face it.
    He wasn't that great this year but who the hell expected him to put up huge numbers.
    All I expected was for him not to shoot us in the foot every game.

All the reps he got this year will help with his ability to read defenses, make the right line calls/audibles if necessary and get the ball out faster and on target.

d.
    OL lines pass protection issues.
    Again, back to the reps. They struggled a bit with respect to blitz pickups especially if they were switching between a run to a pass play audibles at the line.
    This resulted in things like TE's and RB's having to commit to blocking vice chipping and getting into routes reducing the number of playmakers in passing routes.

e.
    RB protection issues. We all know that this is the hardest thing for a rookie RB to pickup which kindof made our play selection a bit telegraphed at times.
    Again back to the reps thing.
    AD will be alot better with his blitz pickups allowing for better protection for the QB.

Long story short, although TJ was the prime contributor to most of our passing woes, he is not solely to blame.
    The whole offense has to work on thier respective parts to what is still called (in my book) a team sport.

I for one think that we won't even be talking about this next year.
    Well almost, there will always be a few haters that will beeeyyyyatch.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

We need to address the DE and WR position in Free agency... We need a veteran WR and DE... can't wait on a rookie to contribute...

if we do that...

then we can afford to take the best available Safety, WR or DE in the first three rounds...

I think we'll sign back Tank or Doss... if smith was gonna be suspended i think they'd of done it by now... remember pacman never got convicted but got suspended... same with most of the guys that were suspended.. including Henry and Tank IMO...

i didn't mention QB purposely bc that's obvious.. but at this point i think we'd be better served getting a WR or two before we get a QB....

IMO our biggest offseason needs in order.. draft/FA

1. DE - this pick up drastically improves the pass D.. need a Vet or stud rookie

2. WR - bar none need a vet at this position.
    then, draft one in the 3rd or 4th round (needs to possibly be able to return kicks)

3. Safety/CB who moves to safety - assuming we pick up a DE in FA, we pick one in the first rd.. 2nd at the latest.. If we don't pick up a DE, then we get a FA safety. (needs to possibly be able to return kicks)

4. QB - Veteran pick up.. depending on who we get.. 1st (starter) 2nd backup or 3rd (suck backup) tier
    we end up drafting one in the 3rd or 4th round.... think Erik ainge or Colt Brennon, no more small school prospects i.e. Deleware QB..

5. this is a depth spot.. either LB/DT

6. same as 5 / Kick returner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12