Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1092378
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1092377

As to what beer will be involved....Its hard to ship MGC Light. What isn't hard to ship is something from a local micro brewery. Any one of the 10 or so in the South Easter VA area will suffice for the me. :P
    http://www.shopmerwins.com/beer-miller-products.html

That was easy
    They don't deliver in my area.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1092398
    Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1092343
    I think the question "Should The Vikings Draft A QB?" is a damn good one. We have a legitimate shot at drafting any quarterback in this year's draft since every quarterback has too big question marks to really be a "safe" (if there's such a word) pick in the top 10. That's an unusual situation for us and I'm willing to bet that one of "the big three" (Newton, Mallett, Gabbert) will be available with the 12th selection.

I'm honestly willing to take a chance with Joe Webb, but I would rather see the Vikings draft or trade for another quarterback. The big question is Which quarterback should we draft?

The way I see it, Ryan Mallett has the best potential of success in the NFL. He got a wonderful arm, the stats, the experience, the tools, everything you need in a pro QB. The only knock on him is character issues, and it's a big knock.

Cam Newton has the most upside, but I'm unsure if he can translate to the pro game. Physically, he's arguably the most impressive QB because he's not only big, but has also good running skills for his size. A Vince Young 2.0 perhaps? He also has some character concerns looming over him.

Blaine Gabbert looks and acts like a pro quarterback. Unlike the other two, Gabbert seems to have the right character for the NFL. Combine that with a good arm, prototype size, and solid mobility, and I can see why many experts have him ranked #1. The knock on him is that he never really lit it up in college like Mallet and Newton. That leaves a big question.

Preferably (and reasonably), I'd rather draft a more safe position with the 12th pick, but at the same time I feel that it's time the Vikings draft a quarterback in the first round. I can't wait for the draft to begin! I love the draft. We don't have this kind of thing in Europe.
    Good post. I see it pretty much the way you do.

A couple of points I would make.

There is always a QB who slips in the draft. Some for obvious reasons eg.Quinn, some for not so obvious reasons eg. Rogers.One of this years top rated quarterbacks will be there at 12.

I agree with marrdro that this quarterback class is weak and it would appear each one has issues when considering who will be a franchise QB.

But there always seems to be someone who is under rated and plays better than expected eg. Flacco.

Gabbert has issues with accuracy throwing down the field. Performance issue.
    Newton has issues with experience. Ran an offense with simple reads that didn't resemble what will be required in the NFL. Experience issue.

Mallett has a great arm. The main performance knock on him is a lack of pocket presence. But he has character issues. Question is, has he used drugs for recreation like many young people do, or does he use them as an escape rather dealing with reality. If he uses them for escape, how will he handle the pressure of NFL franchise QB ? Character issue.

Ponder has injury issues. He appears to be fine now but do you take a chance like we did with AP ?

Injury issues are can usually be adequately evaluated by the medical staff, but not always.

I feel performance issues are automatic disqualifiers. I wouldn't have Gabbert number one on my board.

Character issues are tricky to evaluate. Mallett could be a steal if his past issues aren't due to a character flaw.I think of Moss.

As mentioned on the NFL network, a primary consideration is to draft someone who loves to play football, not someone with divided alliegence like McKinnie who wants to be singer or whatever he's trying to do.

I think the last point is crucial since the QB has to immerse his life in his profession to be a sucess. Successful QB's are the hardest working players on any team for the most part.
    Thats two damn fine posts right there my friends. Man I love talking ball this time of year.

For the both of you, going on the assumption that the staff will try to keep the roster together (sign key FA's) and decide not to go after a Vet QB, which one would you rather see under Center this year.

For me, .....

Ponder. I worry to much about injury issues and definately not at 12.

Locker. I think he was rated to high last year and wouldn't have been the number one QB taken off the board. Like this year, teams are seeing he has inconsistency issues with respect to accuracy. I think the selling point for me was how he nearly got the young WR, (Young I think) killed on those two high passes in the senior bowl. Second round? Yes, 12, no.

Mallet. Great arm. Makes all the throws. Looks great when he isn't pressured. Problem is, he will get pressured at the next level. Question is, can you teach pocket pressence and composure under pressure. I'd take him at 12 and gamble the new QB coach and O-coord can do what they were brougth in here for.

Newton. Absolutely love watching the kid play. Might actually be a good fit for our scheme if we can tweak it a bit to match his "Verticle Running" scheme he excelled with in college (for one year). Same with Mallet head. I would take him and 12 and trust the Coaches.

My guess, he won't be there.

Gabbert. The more I see of this kid the more I like him. Understands the game to the point it should translate easily to the next level. Mobile. Nice Arm and has a very quick release that fits the WCO, dink dunk, get it out quick passing scheme. He can also exploit the DB's if they leave our outside reciever single covered. I would take him at 12 and might even think about moving up to get him. Problem is, atleast for me, his lack of experience under Center.

Remember, the WCO is predicated on a couple of things, he has it when it comes to throwing, but what will he do when he turns his back to the defense in the play action area of the game. Will he be able to re-aquire the defense?

Having said all of that, I would take one of 3 at 12.........(in this order)

1. Gabbert (won't be there)
    2. Newton (won't bet there)
    3. Mallet (should be there unless a team ahead of us likes him more).

If none of those three are there I hope they take the pick and use it on a deal for Kolb.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

As mentioned on the NFL network, a primary consideration is to draft someone who loves to play football, not someone with divided alliegence like McKinnie who wants to be singer or whatever he's trying to do.

I think the last point is crucial since the QB has to immerse his life in his profession to be a sucess. Successful QB's are the hardest working players on any team for the most part.
    Thats what I'm thinking. That the QB has to be the right personality almost more than skill set. The press is going to be a pain, the pass rush is going to be trickier, the defenses more complex. Straight skill has a high chance of failure if the guy isnt completely committed as well as willing and capable of learning.

Mallet could be a steal with his arm...IF he's got the mental makeup and will to learn. Mobility/Dexterity can be improved with with time training. I remember when I had only been my full height for a few years, and I was a far far cry from athletic. Now, I'm a pretty good skier, snowboarder, rock climber, trail running fool!

Rodgers had the "lack of mobility" knock and now he's led the league in rushing.

Of course, dfoster just predicted that the Bengals go with Mallet at no.4! :huh:

But if Gabbert and Newton go 1 and 3, I think its at least a possibility!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1092417

Thats what I'm thinking. That the QB has to be the right personality almost more than skill set. The press is going to be a pain, the pass rush is going to be trickier, the defenses more complex. Straight skill has a high chance of failure if the guy isnt completely committed as well as willing and capable of learning.

Mallet could be a steal with his arm...IF he's got the mental makeup and will to learn. Mobility/Dexterity can be improved with with time training. I remember when I had only been my full height for a few years, and I was a far far cry from athletic. Now, I'm a pretty good skier, snowboarder, rock climber, trail running fool!

Rodgers had the "lack of mobility" knock and now he's led the league in rushing.

Of course, dfoster just predicted that the Bengals go with Mallet at no.4! :huh:

But if Gabbert and Newton go 1 and 3
    , I think its at least a possibility!
    Kold will be the man if that happens.

dfosterf is offline Coach

lol-- All I said was that I'm not going to be shocked if the Bengals take Mallett at 4. I do know they have him scheduled for a private workout, and the ASSUMPTION is that they are looking at him in the 2nd...

A- He will not be there in the 2nd for them, because Leslie will take him.

B- He has the "character guy" label, which slows down Brown not one bit

C- Same with the Vikes, but that's editorializing :P

Since we're jumpin' threads...

I'm sorry, but you better include Locker and Ponder into the conversation at 12, along with Gabbert, Newton and Mallett.

Put Locker and Ponder into the "Leslie Frazier/Speilman? job preservation better take at 12 category"

God forbid the Vikes pass on either at 12 and one or the other go all "franchise" on your collective asses for another team- Jesus, the threads would get ugly around here :P

You will not see any of them in the 2nd, and I bet you don't see Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd either... Goes back to my "too many teams needs, etc etc discussion.

...And since you are missing the 3rd, you will probably get "locked out" of Ricky Stanzi and Pat Devlin in the 4th.

So-

It's Mallett at 12.

(Unless Brown takes him, per my "not shocked" prediction.)

Just like I said over a month ago. :P

(You can add NE to the QB "mix"--- with all those picks available---heard it here first B) - Maybe even GB, what with Flynn's contract expiring and his trade value increased-don't say you weren't warned, we're talking Ted Thompson here)

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092430
    lol-- All I said was that I'm not going to be shocked if the Bengals take Mallett at 4. I do know they have him scheduled for a private workout, and the ASSUMPTION is that they are looking at him in the 2nd...

I'm sorry, but you better include Locker and Ponder into the conversation at 12, along with Gabbert, Newton and Mallett.

Put Locker and Ponder into the "Leslie Frazier/Speilman? job preservation better take at 12 category"

God forbid the Vikes pass on either at 12 and one or the other go all "franchise" on your collective asses for another team- Jesus, the threads would get ugly around here :P

You will not see any of them in the 2nd, and I bet you don't see Andy Dalton or Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd either... Goes back to my "too many teams needs, etc etc discussion.

...And since you are missing the 3rd, you will probably get "locked out" of Ricky Stanzi and Pat Devlin in the 4th.

So-

It's Mallett at 12.

(You can add NE to the QB "mix"--- with all those picks available---heard it here first B) - Maybe even GB, what with Flynn's contract expiring and his trade value increased-don't say you weren't warned, we're talking Ted Thompson here)
    Sell crazy someplace else. Were all stocked up here.

If you are even close to right, I'll come back later and eat crow. But if not, I expect you to eat Marmot.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

dfosterf is offline Coach

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1092478

So-

It's Mallett at 12.

If you are even close to right, I'll come back later and eat crow. But if not, I expect you to eat Marmot.
    Hey, I don't care- go ahead and skip QB at 12 and we'll all get to see how that works out for ya :lol: in a world where 11 teams have a well-defined need at QB and the most respected draft pundits get the first round picks correct at a rate of approximately .250, (and go down to darn near .000 in subsequent rounds.) I'm just tellin' ya, it's a "perfect storm" for a run on the position, especially in light of some of the reasons many of these QB's are graded where they are this year, especially if GM's give "weight" to the changed paradigm of a rookie wage scale and the resultant lack of "handcuffing the franchise" with an early QB miss. The pundits (to my knowledge) haven't even addressed that factor, and I'd call it huge. imo

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1092480
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1092478

So-

It's Mallett at 12.

Hey, I don't care- go ahead and skip QB at 12 and we'll all get to see how that works out for ya :lol: in a world where 11 teams have a well-defined need at QB and the most respected draft pundits get the first round picks correct at a rate of approximately .250, (and go down to darn near .000 in subsequent rounds.) I'm just tellin' ya, it's a "perfect storm" for a run on the position, especially in light of some of the reasons many of these QB's are graded where they are this year, especially if GM's give "weight" to the changed paradigm of a rookie wage scale and the resultant lack of "handcuffing the franchise" with an early QB miss. The pundits (to my knowledge) haven't even addressed that factor, and I'd call it huge. imo
    I was just giving you a little poke since that scenario is depressing from our perspective.
    Possible,yes. Probable, no.
    The only way the first round statistic holds up is when teams don't reach.
    What you are suggesting sounds like a lot of reaching.

If the right QB is not there at 12 I pray they have the discipline to take a difference maker at another position,and go back to the free agent bandaid for one more year, or go with Webb.

I think there will be a suitable QB at 12. We'll just have to wait and see.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567