Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68
  1. #21
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1091813
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091809
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091749
    What is your opinion on the issues related to his (Ponders) injuries and limited arm strength.
    Ponder has overcome serious injuries over the last two seasons. In 2009, he suffered a Grade 3 right shoulder separation and in 2010 he played through a nagging elbow injury that took multiple surgeries to repair. At the Senior Bowl, Ponder told scouts that his arm strength was back to full health and he didnít disappoint, silencing his critics by capturing the gameís MVP Award.

    Since then he has done a good job working his way up draft boards, and looked solid at the Florida State Pro Day this afternoon, displaying above-average arm strength and excellent footwork. His performance today will only help further his draft stock as we inch closer to April 28.

    I see that he impressed with a "Bit" more arm strenght in his workouts, but maybe it still ins't enough to fit the scheme we run.

    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:



    Locker, I just can't get a read on him.

    Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's "gut" feeling is still that Jake Locker will be the Vikings' draft pick at No. 12 overall.
    Zulgad, the top Vikings beat reporter in the country, expressed a similar belief a few weeks back. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has predicted Locker will not fall out of the top-20 picks. Locker has his Pro Day on March 30


    Not sure on the guy either and that generally means he should last until the 3rd or 4th round unless things get crazy at the draft.

    Interesting side topic: If it actually happened that every player mayock picked to go in the top 20 did they would have 40-50 players taken in the top 20:laugh:

    Like Mallet head, I wouldn't be to suprised (or upset) if they took him at 12 as both, all 3 really would be a reach there with Locker and Mallet probably not there in the second
    .

    I basically agree with this. I will say though that the guys who are grading these athletes out in the media are in the media because they can't do it well enough to make a career out of it with a team.

    And really, there are 22 players on offense and defense and depending on how the talent stacks up you can get a very very good player at some position with the 12th pick and if it happens that the DL, CB's and WR's start to go it is very possible to get a franchise guy at the 12 spot.

    I am sure right after Rodgers fell to GB there were very few who thought it was a mistake for him to fall that far and look how that has turned out. Especially when you compare him to Alex Smith. In that draft the positions of RB, WR, LB and CB dominated the top 20 of the draft
    Fair enough.
    But when I think about Troy Williamson and Erasmus James, I don't think the so called experts are that much better than the journalists.
    I doubt any journalists said we should have moved up to get Tarvaris or Gerhart.

    After last years draft, I will once again register concern that Spielman wasn't sent packing, along with Childress.

    The only time to trade a pick to move up is when you are going to pick the ripest fruit from the tree.
    Not Tarvaris Jackson. Not Toby Gerhart.

    Wilf needs to get a clue and send anyone moving up for a project, down the road.

    If they reach for a QB this year,that has no more to offer than Webb, the future is bleak.
    You my friend, make sense.

    I've posted a few posts here explaingin this exact thing. The CHildress era has been terrible at drafting.

    Proof? We though Tice was bad. How much better was Childress? We had mid-early round picks, and what did we get?

    Peterson, Harvin and Greenway. Those are great picks. However, those were first rounders. What else did we get? Rice. Ok, one great value pick. Other than that what? Some backups and players who shouldn't be starting, but are because we have a brutal roster at alot of positions.

    Trading up for TJ? Stupid. Trading up for a mediocre powerback? Stupid. especially since we had a pick to grab a better runningback, multiple times.

    How about Grabbing a 6th round center in the second? Good move.

    Wait a second, something i find curious, over the past few years, Marrdro has been talking about how great Childress has been at drafting, but he'll also be the first to tell you when we point out a bad pick, that Childress doesn't make draft decisions.

    I've decided Spielman is Marty's scapegoat. When we did a good move, it's Childress's doing. When we didn't, all Spielman.

  2. #22
    Brewtal's Avatar
    Brewtal is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    256

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Just don't think Locker is worth a #12 pick. Not aginst him, but would like to see us trade down before picking him up. I think we are going to see a lot of QB slide again this year.

  3. #23
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1091836
    Just don't think Locker is worth a #12 pick. Not aginst him, but would like to see us trade down before picking him up. I think we are going to see a lot of QB slide again this year.
    WHO CARES. We've doe enough of who we "THINK" is "WORTH" a pick. If there's a great player you feel fits your system, draft him.

    Question, name the last good QB we had and the round he was drafted.

    Name the top three QB's in Vikings History.

    Tark, Kramer and Pep. two firsts and a second.

  4. #24
    stackithigh is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091829
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1091813
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091809
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091749
    What is your opinion on the issues related to his (Ponders) injuries and limited arm strength.
    Ponder has overcome serious injuries over the last two seasons. In 2009, he suffered a Grade 3 right shoulder separation and in 2010 he played through a nagging elbow injury that took multiple surgeries to repair. At the Senior Bowl, Ponder told scouts that his arm strength was back to full health and he didnít disappoint, silencing his critics by capturing the gameís MVP Award.

    Since then he has done a good job working his way up draft boards, and looked solid at the Florida State Pro Day this afternoon, displaying above-average arm strength and excellent footwork. His performance today will only help further his draft stock as we inch closer to April 28.

    I see that he impressed with a "Bit" more arm strenght in his workouts, but maybe it still ins't enough to fit the scheme we run.

    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:



    Locker, I just can't get a read on him.

    Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's "gut" feeling is still that Jake Locker will be the Vikings' draft pick at No. 12 overall.
    Zulgad, the top Vikings beat reporter in the country, expressed a similar belief a few weeks back. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has predicted Locker will not fall out of the top-20 picks. Locker has his Pro Day on March 30


    Not sure on the guy either and that generally means he should last until the 3rd or 4th round unless things get crazy at the draft.

    Interesting side topic: If it actually happened that every player mayock picked to go in the top 20 did they would have 40-50 players taken in the top 20:laugh:

    Like Mallet head, I wouldn't be to suprised (or upset) if they took him at 12 as both, all 3 really would be a reach there with Locker and Mallet probably not there in the second
    .

    I basically agree with this. I will say though that the guys who are grading these athletes out in the media are in the media because they can't do it well enough to make a career out of it with a team.

    And really, there are 22 players on offense and defense and depending on how the talent stacks up you can get a very very good player at some position with the 12th pick and if it happens that the DL, CB's and WR's start to go it is very possible to get a franchise guy at the 12 spot.

    I am sure right after Rodgers fell to GB there were very few who thought it was a mistake for him to fall that far and look how that has turned out. Especially when you compare him to Alex Smith. In that draft the positions of RB, WR, LB and CB dominated the top 20 of the draft
    Fair enough.
    But when I think about Troy Williamson and Erasmus James, I don't think the so called experts are that much better than the journalists.
    I doubt any journalists said we should have moved up to get Tarvaris or Gerhart.

    After last years draft, I will once again register concern that Spielman wasn't sent packing, along with Childress.

    The only time to trade a pick to move up is when you are going to pick the ripest fruit from the tree.
    Not Tarvaris Jackson. Not Toby Gerhart.

    Wilf needs to get a clue and send anyone moving up for a project, down the road.

    If they reach for a QB this year,that has no more to offer than Webb, the future is bleak.
    You my friend, make sense.

    I've posted a few posts here explaingin this exact thing. The CHildress era has been terrible at drafting.

    Proof? We though Tice was bad. How much better was Childress? We had mid-early round picks, and what did we get?

    Peterson, Harvin and Greenway. Those are great picks. However, those were first rounders. What else did we get? Rice. Ok, one great value pick. Other than that what? Some backups and players who shouldn't be starting, but are because we have a brutal roster at alot of positions.

    Trading up for TJ? Stupid. Trading up for a mediocre powerback? Stupid. especially since we had a pick to grab a better runningback, multiple times.

    How about Grabbing a 6th round center in the second? Good move.

    Wait a second, something i find curious, over the past few years, Marrdro has been talking about how great Childress has been at drafting, but he'll also be the first to tell you when we point out a bad pick, that Childress doesn't make draft decisions.

    I've decided Spielman is Childresses scapegoat. When we did a good move, it's Childress's doing. When we didn't, all Spielman.
    Man, I loved Spielman! :blink:
    None

  5. #25
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "stackithigh" #1091839
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091829

    You my friend, make sense.

    I've posted a few posts here explaingin this exact thing. The CHildress era has been terrible at drafting.

    Proof? We though Tice was bad. How much better was Childress? We had mid-early round picks, and what did we get?

    Peterson, Harvin and Greenway. Those are great picks. However, those were first rounders. What else did we get? Rice. Ok, one great value pick. Other than that what? Some backups and players who shouldn't be starting, but are because we have a brutal roster at alot of positions.

    Trading up for TJ? Stupid. Trading up for a mediocre powerback? Stupid. especially since we had a pick to grab a better runningback, multiple times.

    How about Grabbing a 6th round center in the second? Good move.

    Wait a second, something i find curious, over the past few years, Marrdro has been talking about how great Childress has been at drafting, but he'll also be the first to tell you when we point out a bad pick, that Childress doesn't make draft decisions.

    I've decided Spielman is Childresses scapegoat. When we did a good move, it's Childress's doing. When we didn't, all Spielman.
    Man, I loved Spielman! :blink:
    haha, I meant Marty's scapegoat, but I bet Chilly feels the same way too, until he got kicked to the curb like he belonged

  6. #26
    stackithigh is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091748
    Quote Originally Posted by "stackithigh" #1091738
    Personally, I enjoyed the firing of Chilly and I feel like there is a new hope with Frazier. With that being said I like the assistant hiring of Singletary- I think he will spark an added tenacity and look to our defense that will be refreshing.

    We have an all-pro cast already minus Ben Leber at linebackers, add HOF Linebacker as coach and I cant see anything wrong with that. =)
    And hmmm to who we should draft 12...

    This is a tough one,
    I see a few weaknesses around our defense, safety play is bad... I can't stand Medaui Williams much longer. Most of the time he is hurting us by blowing coverages, and taking terrible angles to the ball. As for Hussein he improved I thought but still made some young mistakes.

    Drafting 12.
    DE, CB, maybe a Cam Newton? (increase revenue, and more national exposure)

    It's hard to say, if Edwards is out and the intentions are to start Brian Robison (New Contract Extension) or Everson Griffin thats not too bad either. I feel like Griffen has amazing athletic ability and can learn some technique from some not too bad all-pros. Split time(Griffin,Robison)
    Considering I am sold on Joe Webb, i'd go DB if available, or big solid 10 year O-line.
    DE - Not likely, but they could if Spielman holds true to the BPA approach. Rationale for them not taking a DE:

    a. They just inked Rob. Not a true LDE, but he is pretty good at coming in on passing downs, much like we used to use Lance.

    b. The drafted Griff last year. He is the obvious choice to replace Ray.

    c. Ray is on a 1 year tender.

    In short, alot of money stacked up on the DE position.

    CB - Not likely either, again, they could if Spielman holds true to the BPA and Prince drops to us.

    a. Money tied up in Griff. His rehab might change that.

    b. Cook and Asher are recent high picks. To soon to give up on them.

    c. A butt load of has beens/almost wasses on the roster to add depth.

    Safety could be an option but I think they are going to try to get Husain resigned as it appeared the light came on for him last year. Jamarcus is still under contract etc etc etc, but mostly, there really isn't a S worth taking at 12. Truth is, a S at 12 is a bigger reach than a QB at 12.

    Defense might still be the choice though as there will be 2 nice OLB'rs sitting there. That, coupled with the contract status of Leber, and Chad only being tendered for one year, Erin a FA, albeit a Restricted FA, a guy like Aldon Smith sure would look good next to EJ with Chad on the other side.

    Push come to shove, even though we can rationalize it to several options, and not taking away your like of Webb, I still have this gut feeling its gonna be Mallet head if he is there at 12.
    I like your response, I agree taking a DE is not the best choice with the first round, what do you think about the Rice situation and how would that play in with the draft? Possible reciever at 12?
    None

  7. #27
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "stackithigh" #1091841
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091748
    Quote Originally Posted by "stackithigh" #1091738
    Personally, I enjoyed the firing of Chilly and I feel like there is a new hope with Frazier. With that being said I like the assistant hiring of Singletary- I think he will spark an added tenacity and look to our defense that will be refreshing.

    We have an all-pro cast already minus Ben Leber at linebackers, add HOF Linebacker as coach and I cant see anything wrong with that. =)
    And hmmm to who we should draft 12...

    This is a tough one,
    I see a few weaknesses around our defense, safety play is bad... I can't stand Medaui Williams much longer. Most of the time he is hurting us by blowing coverages, and taking terrible angles to the ball. As for Hussein he improved I thought but still made some young mistakes.

    Drafting 12.
    DE, CB, maybe a Cam Newton? (increase revenue, and more national exposure)

    It's hard to say, if Edwards is out and the intentions are to start Brian Robison (New Contract Extension) or Everson Griffin thats not too bad either. I feel like Griffen has amazing athletic ability and can learn some technique from some not too bad all-pros. Split time(Griffin,Robison)
    Considering I am sold on Joe Webb, i'd go DB if available, or big solid 10 year O-line.
    DE - Not likely, but they could if Spielman holds true to the BPA approach. Rationale for them not taking a DE:

    a. They just inked Rob. Not a true LDE, but he is pretty good at coming in on passing downs, much like we used to use Lance.

    b. The drafted Griff last year. He is the obvious choice to replace Ray.

    c. Ray is on a 1 year tender.

    In short, alot of money stacked up on the DE position.

    CB - Not likely either, again, they could if Spielman holds true to the BPA and Prince drops to us.

    a. Money tied up in Griff. His rehab might change that.

    b. Cook and Asher are recent high picks. To soon to give up on them.

    c. A butt load of has beens/almost wasses on the roster to add depth.

    Safety could be an option but I think they are going to try to get Husain resigned as it appeared the light came on for him last year. Jamarcus is still under contract etc etc etc, but mostly, there really isn't a S worth taking at 12. Truth is, a S at 12 is a bigger reach than a QB at 12.

    Defense might still be the choice though as there will be 2 nice OLB'rs sitting there. That, coupled with the contract status of Leber, and Chad only being tendered for one year, Erin a FA, albeit a Restricted FA, a guy like Aldon Smith sure would look good next to EJ with Chad on the other side.

    Push come to shove, even though we can rationalize it to several options, and not taking away your like of Webb, I still have this gut feeling its gonna be Mallet head if he is there at 12.
    I like your response, I agree taking a DE is not the best choice with the first round, what do you think about the Rice situation and how would that play in with the draft? Possible reciever at 12?
    I wouldn't be mad, but I don't think WR is the best way to go. There's only two receivers I like that early, AJ Greene or J(hu)lio Jones, I have my doubts that either will be there.

    However, I'm curious, I saw a mock draft that saw CB Peterson drop to #7 I believe (49ers) and saw Prince drop to #11 (immediately before we pick)

    What if either of those two CB's were available to us. I'd want to jump on that.

  8. #28
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091829
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1091813
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091809
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091749
    What is your opinion on the issues related to his (Ponders) injuries and limited arm strength.
    Ponder has overcome serious injuries over the last two seasons. In 2009, he suffered a Grade 3 right shoulder separation and in 2010 he played through a nagging elbow injury that took multiple surgeries to repair. At the Senior Bowl, Ponder told scouts that his arm strength was back to full health and he didnít disappoint, silencing his critics by capturing the gameís MVP Award.

    Since then he has done a good job working his way up draft boards, and looked solid at the Florida State Pro Day this afternoon, displaying above-average arm strength and excellent footwork. His performance today will only help further his draft stock as we inch closer to April 28.

    I see that he impressed with a "Bit" more arm strenght in his workouts, but maybe it still ins't enough to fit the scheme we run.

    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:



    Locker, I just can't get a read on him.

    Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's "gut" feeling is still that Jake Locker will be the Vikings' draft pick at No. 12 overall.
    Zulgad, the top Vikings beat reporter in the country, expressed a similar belief a few weeks back. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has predicted Locker will not fall out of the top-20 picks. Locker has his Pro Day on March 30


    Not sure on the guy either and that generally means he should last until the 3rd or 4th round unless things get crazy at the draft.

    Interesting side topic: If it actually happened that every player mayock picked to go in the top 20 did they would have 40-50 players taken in the top 20:laugh:

    Like Mallet head, I wouldn't be to suprised (or upset) if they took him at 12 as both, all 3 really would be a reach there with Locker and Mallet probably not there in the second
    .

    I basically agree with this. I will say though that the guys who are grading these athletes out in the media are in the media because they can't do it well enough to make a career out of it with a team.

    And really, there are 22 players on offense and defense and depending on how the talent stacks up you can get a very very good player at some position with the 12th pick and if it happens that the DL, CB's and WR's start to go it is very possible to get a franchise guy at the 12 spot.

    I am sure right after Rodgers fell to GB there were very few who thought it was a mistake for him to fall that far and look how that has turned out. Especially when you compare him to Alex Smith. In that draft the positions of RB, WR, LB and CB dominated the top 20 of the draft
    Fair enough.
    But when I think about Troy Williamson and Erasmus James, I don't think the so called experts are that much better than the journalists.
    I doubt any journalists said we should have moved up to get Tarvaris or Gerhart.

    After last years draft, I will once again register concern that Spielman wasn't sent packing, along with Childress.

    The only time to trade a pick to move up is when you are going to pick the ripest fruit from the tree.
    Not Tarvaris Jackson. Not Toby Gerhart.

    Wilf needs to get a clue and send anyone moving up for a project, down the road.

    If they reach for a QB this year,that has no more to offer than Webb, the future is bleak.
    You my friend, make sense.

    I've posted a few posts here explaingin this exact thing. The CHildress era has been terrible at drafting.

    Proof? We though Tice was bad. How much better was Childress? We had mid-early round picks, and what did we get?

    Peterson, Harvin and Greenway. Those are great picks. However, those were first rounders. What else did we get? Rice. Ok, one great value pick. Other than that what? Some backups and players who shouldn't be starting, but are because we have a brutal roster at alot of positions.

    Trading up for TJ? Stupid. Trading up for a mediocre powerback? Stupid. especially since we had a pick to grab a better runningback, multiple times.

    How about Grabbing a 6th round center in the second? Good move.

    Wait a second, something i find curious, over the past few years, Marrdro has been talking about how great Childress has been at drafting, but he'll also be the first to tell you when we point out a bad pick, that Childress doesn't make draft decisions.

    I've decided Spielman is Marty's scapegoat. When we did a good move, it's Childress's doing. When we didn't, all Spielman.
    It goes back farther than Childress. Look back at the draft for the past 17-18 years under Studwell and we have done poorly.

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091809
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091749
    What is your opinion on the issues related to his (Ponders) injuries and limited arm strength.
    Ponder has overcome serious injuries over the last two seasons. In 2009, he suffered a Grade 3 right shoulder separation and in 2010 he played through a nagging elbow injury that took multiple surgeries to repair. At the Senior Bowl, Ponder told scouts that his arm strength was back to full health and he didnít disappoint, silencing his critics by capturing the gameís MVP Award.

    Since then he has done a good job working his way up draft boards, and looked solid at the Florida State Pro Day this afternoon, displaying above-average arm strength and excellent footwork. His performance today will only help further his draft stock as we inch closer to April 28.

    I see that he impressed with a "Bit" more arm strenght in his workouts, but maybe it still ins't enough to fit the scheme we run.

    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:



    Locker, I just can't get a read on him.

    Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's "gut" feeling is still that Jake Locker will be the Vikings' draft pick at No. 12 overall.
    Zulgad, the top Vikings beat reporter in the country, expressed a similar belief a few weeks back. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has predicted Locker will not fall out of the top-20 picks. Locker has his Pro Day on March 30


    Not sure on the guy either and that generally means he should last until the 3rd or 4th round unless things get crazy at the draft.

    Interesting side topic: If it actually happened that every player mayock picked to go in the top 20 did they would have 40-50 players taken in the top 20:laugh:

    Like Mallet head, I wouldn't be to suprised (or upset) if they took him at 12 as both, all 3 really would be a reach there with Locker and Mallet probably not there in the second
    .

    I basically agree with this. I will say though that the guys who are grading these athletes out in the media are in the media because they can't do it well enough to make a career out of it with a team.

    And really, there are 22 players on offense and defense and depending on how the talent stacks up you can get a very very good player at some position with the 12th pick and if it happens that the DL, CB's and WR's start to go it is very possible to get a franchise guy at the 12 spot.

    I am sure right after Rodgers fell to GB there were very few who thought it was a mistake for him to fall that far and look how that has turned out. Especially when you compare him to Alex Smith. In that draft the positions of RB, WR, LB and CB dominated the top 20 of the draft
    Thats a damn fine post right there. Lots of good discussion topics. Let me just pull a few.......

    Arm Strength/Injuries. Thanks for the quote. Again, I am happy that he showed more strength than some thought he would but you can't ignore the injuries. Will they keep re-occuring or will he, like Bradford, show they were only flukes.

    By the way, loved this,.....
    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:
    .....except, the 3, 4, 5 and even the 6 routes need alot of zip on them. A weak arm isn't gonna get it done, especially for a kid who will (HE WILL) probably tend to look down his recievers.

    Mix that with a weak arm and you will see lots of picks to start off with.

    Media Graders. Some are there cause they don't want to go back to the grind. Guys like Casserly are happy not being a GM anymore. Another one who questioned his arm strenght is now a DB coach......(Woodson).

    12th Pick. Agree. We should get a damn fine player not only at 12, but in every round in that spot.

    Again, a good post.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091873
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091809
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091749
    What is your opinion on the issues related to his (Ponders) injuries and limited arm strength.
    Ponder has overcome serious injuries over the last two seasons. In 2009, he suffered a Grade 3 right shoulder separation and in 2010 he played through a nagging elbow injury that took multiple surgeries to repair. At the Senior Bowl, Ponder told scouts that his arm strength was back to full health and he didnít disappoint, silencing his critics by capturing the gameís MVP Award.

    Since then he has done a good job working his way up draft boards, and looked solid at the Florida State Pro Day this afternoon, displaying above-average arm strength and excellent footwork. His performance today will only help further his draft stock as we inch closer to April 28.

    I see that he impressed with a "Bit" more arm strenght in his workouts, but maybe it still ins't enough to fit the scheme we run.

    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:



    Locker, I just can't get a read on him.

    Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's "gut" feeling is still that Jake Locker will be the Vikings' draft pick at No. 12 overall.
    Zulgad, the top Vikings beat reporter in the country, expressed a similar belief a few weeks back. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has predicted Locker will not fall out of the top-20 picks. Locker has his Pro Day on March 30


    Not sure on the guy either and that generally means he should last until the 3rd or 4th round unless things get crazy at the draft.

    Interesting side topic: If it actually happened that every player mayock picked to go in the top 20 did they would have 40-50 players taken in the top 20:laugh:

    Like Mallet head, I wouldn't be to suprised (or upset) if they took him at 12 as both, all 3 really would be a reach there with Locker and Mallet probably not there in the second
    .

    I basically agree with this. I will say though that the guys who are grading these athletes out in the media are in the media because they can't do it well enough to make a career out of it with a team.

    And really, there are 22 players on offense and defense and depending on how the talent stacks up you can get a very very good player at some position with the 12th pick and if it happens that the DL, CB's and WR's start to go it is very possible to get a franchise guy at the 12 spot.

    I am sure right after Rodgers fell to GB there were very few who thought it was a mistake for him to fall that far and look how that has turned out. Especially when you compare him to Alex Smith. In that draft the positions of RB, WR, LB and CB dominated the top 20 of the draft
    Thats a damn fine post right there. Lots of good discussion topics. Let me just pull a few.......

    Arm Strength/Injuries. Thanks for the quote. Again, I am happy that he showed more strength than some thought he would but you can't ignore the injuries. Will they keep re-occuring or will he, like Bradford, show they were only flukes.

    By the way, loved this,.....
    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:
    .....except, the 3, 4, 5 and even the 6 routes need alot of zip on them. A weak arm isn't gonna get it done, especially for a kid who will (HE WILL) probably tend to look down his recievers.

    Mix that with a weak arm and you will see lots of picks to start off with.

    Media Graders. Some are there cause they don't want to go back to the grind. Guys like Casserly are happy not being a GM anymore. Another one who questioned his arm strenght is now a DB coach......(Woodson).

    12th Pick. Agree. We should get a damn fine player not only at 12, but in every round in that spot.

    Again, a good post.
    Someone said a first round pick should be able to come in right away and score points or prevent points from being scored.
    That's a pretty good standard as far as I'm concerned.

    One other crucial thing in my opinion is obtaining players to counter the strengths of the top team in the NFCN.

    The Vikings were the top team the previous two years. The Bears went and got a player who owned our left tackle. I think it worked fairly well for them.

    So what should we do?

    Well we won't have the QB that can match Green Bays offense touchdown for touchdown. So we need to counter with defense.

    We could use a penetrating Randle,Page,Millard, type tackle. KW was that when he was young but has been inconsistant lately.
    I wouldn't mind a Pat Williams clone, but we need to stop the pass in our division, not the run.

    One alternative might be to take a replacement for Ray, but I would prefer pressure up the middle.
    Pressure up the middle always makes the ends better.

    In addition we need to work on upgrading the nickel and dime packages.
    Green Bay has more good receivers than we have good cover guys.
    So we need to work on upgrading safety and cornerback.

    Everybody is worried about QB, and I am too. But I think the key to beating Green Bay, Chicago, and Detroit is going to be defense.

    I'm ok with bolstering the offensive line or taking a QB. But I think we will primarily be drafting defense this year.
    ďWhat takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Itís the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2009 Draft - Network poll
    By Zeus in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM
  2. Vikings of '69 of NFL network
    By CanuckVike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 08:33 AM
  3. Vikings vs. Bears on NFL Network 8pm Sun
    By Turboe in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 12:39 PM
  4. Mike Mayock/NFL Network Draft...
    By Lundar in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 02:19 AM
  5. Vikings on NFL Network
    By Webby in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 02:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •