Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 68
  1. #11
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1091005
    Kirwan; Need at QB so dire, expect a 'reach' and several 'runs' in the draft


    ...Teams that need a quarterback are going to have to consider reaching for one, or there might not be a lot to pick from by the time they draft again. Carolina, for example, picks first overall but doesn't select again until the top of the third round. Can Cincinnati, which owns the fourth overall pick, really call Carson Palmer's bluff? The Redskins might not love a guy like Jake Locker enough to take him with the 10th pick, but who will be there when they pick again in the second round (No. 41)? What choice does Minnesota have at No. 12 if Joe Webb is the only QB under contract and a realistic trade isn't possible?

    As predictable as the fact that the draft is coming in April, quarterbacks are going to start to drive toward the top of the draft process. In each of the past 10 years, there has been at least one quarterback taken among the top three picks...
    This kindof tracks with what I was talking about in my last post.

    Teams are either going to reach and grab a kid, or they are going to try to move back into the bottom of the first.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  2. #12
    stackithigh is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    My first post...:cheer:
    Anyways lol I personally am a big fan of Joe Webb, for as long as I have been following him, I feel he is twice the quaterback T-jack was already. Bringing in some veteran help might be a decent idea as well. I just think he has some great upside considering his speed is comparable to Vick's and his poise in the pocket is not terrible considering the amount of snaps he has had.
    None

  3. #13
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Welcome to the forum. You already moved up a few columns on the spreadsheet with that post.


    Now tell us what you think of the firing of Childress, the hiring of Frazier and who we need to take at #12 in the draft.:laugh:

  4. #14
    stackithigh is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Personally, I enjoyed the firing of Chilly and I feel like there is a new hope with Frazier. With that being said I like the assistant hiring of Singletary- I think he will spark an added tenacity and look to our defense that will be refreshing.

    We have an all-pro cast already minus Ben Leber at linebackers, add HOF Linebacker as coach and I cant see anything wrong with that. =)
    And hmmm to who we should draft 12...

    This is a tough one,
    I see a few weaknesses around our defense, safety play is bad... I can't stand Medaui Williams much longer. Most of the time he is hurting us by blowing coverages, and taking terrible angles to the ball. As for Hussein he improved I thought but still made some young mistakes.

    Drafting 12.
    DE, CB, maybe a Cam Newton? (increase revenue, and more national exposure)

    It's hard to say, if Edwards is out and the intentions are to start Brian Robison (New Contract Extension) or Everson Griffin thats not too bad either. I feel like Griffen has amazing athletic ability and can learn some technique from some not too bad all-pros. Split time(Griffin,Robison)
    Considering I am sold on Joe Webb, i'd go DB if available, or big solid 10 year O-line.
    None

  5. #15
    Geebus is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    I am really high on either Locker or Christian Ponder. Was hoping we could steal Ponder in a later round (still hoping to get our 3rd rounder back)

    However the talking heads are sadly starting to hype him up :-)

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81ecaa12/Ponder-s-draft-stock?module=HP_video

    What I see in Locker and Ponder is somewhat accurate dropback passers with great legspeed to buy time execute bootlegs (off of AP playactions). And adequate armstrength to stretch the field when necessary.

    In addition both of them strike me as "Wise" kids which I find essential for a modern day QB.
    None

  6. #16
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "stackithigh" #1091638
    My first post...:cheer:
    Anyways lol I personally am a big fan of Joe Webb, for as long as I have been following him, I feel he is twice the quaterback T-jack was already. Bringing in some veteran help might be a decent idea as well. I just think he has some great upside considering his speed is comparable to Vick's and his poise in the pocket is not terrible considering the amount of snaps he has had.
    Welcome to the site.

    So you don't think we should draft a QB then.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #17
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "stackithigh" #1091738
    Personally, I enjoyed the firing of Chilly and I feel like there is a new hope with Frazier. With that being said I like the assistant hiring of Singletary- I think he will spark an added tenacity and look to our defense that will be refreshing.

    We have an all-pro cast already minus Ben Leber at linebackers, add HOF Linebacker as coach and I cant see anything wrong with that. =)
    And hmmm to who we should draft 12...

    This is a tough one,
    I see a few weaknesses around our defense, safety play is bad... I can't stand Medaui Williams much longer. Most of the time he is hurting us by blowing coverages, and taking terrible angles to the ball. As for Hussein he improved I thought but still made some young mistakes.

    Drafting 12.
    DE, CB, maybe a Cam Newton? (increase revenue, and more national exposure)

    It's hard to say, if Edwards is out and the intentions are to start Brian Robison (New Contract Extension) or Everson Griffin thats not too bad either. I feel like Griffen has amazing athletic ability and can learn some technique from some not too bad all-pros. Split time(Griffin,Robison)
    Considering I am sold on Joe Webb, i'd go DB if available, or big solid 10 year O-line.
    DE - Not likely, but they could if Spielman holds true to the BPA approach. Rationale for them not taking a DE:

    a. They just inked Rob. Not a true LDE, but he is pretty good at coming in on passing downs, much like we used to use Lance.

    b. The drafted Griff last year. He is the obvious choice to replace Ray.

    c. Ray is on a 1 year tender.

    In short, alot of money stacked up on the DE position.

    CB - Not likely either, again, they could if Spielman holds true to the BPA and Prince drops to us.

    a. Money tied up in Griff. His rehab might change that.

    b. Cook and Asher are recent high picks. To soon to give up on them.

    c. A butt load of has beens/almost wasses on the roster to add depth.

    Safety could be an option but I think they are going to try to get Husain resigned as it appeared the light came on for him last year. Jamarcus is still under contract etc etc etc, but mostly, there really isn't a S worth taking at 12. Truth is, a S at 12 is a bigger reach than a QB at 12.

    Defense might still be the choice though as there will be 2 nice OLB'rs sitting there. That, coupled with the contract status of Leber, and Chad only being tendered for one year, Erin a FA, albeit a Restricted FA, a guy like Aldon Smith sure would look good next to EJ with Chad on the other side.

    Push come to shove, even though we can rationalize it to several options, and not taking away your like of Webb, I still have this gut feeling its gonna be Mallet head if he is there at 12.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Geebus" #1091745
    I am really high on either Locker or Christian Ponder. Was hoping we could steal Ponder in a later round (still hoping to get our 3rd rounder back)

    However the talking heads are sadly starting to hype him up :-)

    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81ecaa12/Ponder-s-draft-stock?module=HP_video

    What I see in Locker and Ponder is somewhat accurate dropback passers with great legspeed to buy time execute bootlegs (off of AP playactions). And adequate armstrength to stretch the field when necessary.

    In addition both of them strike me as "Wise" kids which I find essential for a modern day QB.
    What is your opinion on the issues related to his (Ponders) injuries and limited arm strength.

    I see that he impressed with a "Bit" more arm strenght in his workouts, but maybe it still ins't enough to fit the scheme we run.

    Locker, I just can't get a read on him. Like Mallet head, I wouldn't be to suprised (or upset) if they took him at 12 as both, all 3 really would be a reach there with Locker and Mallet probably not there in the second.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091749
    What is your opinion on the issues related to his (Ponders) injuries and limited arm strength.
    Ponder has overcome serious injuries over the last two seasons. In 2009, he suffered a Grade 3 right shoulder separation and in 2010 he played through a nagging elbow injury that took multiple surgeries to repair. At the Senior Bowl, Ponder told scouts that his arm strength was back to full health and he didnít disappoint, silencing his critics by capturing the gameís MVP Award.

    Since then he has done a good job working his way up draft boards, and looked solid at the Florida State Pro Day this afternoon, displaying above-average arm strength and excellent footwork. His performance today will only help further his draft stock as we inch closer to April 28.

    I see that he impressed with a "Bit" more arm strenght in his workouts, but maybe it still ins't enough to fit the scheme we run.

    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:



    Locker, I just can't get a read on him.

    Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's "gut" feeling is still that Jake Locker will be the Vikings' draft pick at No. 12 overall.
    Zulgad, the top Vikings beat reporter in the country, expressed a similar belief a few weeks back. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has predicted Locker will not fall out of the top-20 picks. Locker has his Pro Day on March 30


    Not sure on the guy either and that generally means he should last until the 3rd or 4th round unless things get crazy at the draft.

    Interesting side topic: If it actually happened that every player mayock picked to go in the top 20 did they would have 40-50 players taken in the top 20:laugh:

    Like Mallet head, I wouldn't be to suprised (or upset) if they took him at 12 as both, all 3 really would be a reach there with Locker and Mallet probably not there in the second
    .

    I basically agree with this. I will say though that the guys who are grading these athletes out in the media are in the media because they can't do it well enough to make a career out of it with a team.

    And really, there are 22 players on offense and defense and depending on how the talent stacks up you can get a very very good player at some position with the 12th pick and if it happens that the DL, CB's and WR's start to go it is very possible to get a franchise guy at the 12 spot.

    I am sure right after Rodgers fell to GB there were very few who thought it was a mistake for him to fall that far and look how that has turned out. Especially when you compare him to Alex Smith. In that draft the positions of RB, WR, LB and CB dominated the top 20 of the draft

  10. #20
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091809
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091749
    What is your opinion on the issues related to his (Ponders) injuries and limited arm strength.
    Ponder has overcome serious injuries over the last two seasons. In 2009, he suffered a Grade 3 right shoulder separation and in 2010 he played through a nagging elbow injury that took multiple surgeries to repair. At the Senior Bowl, Ponder told scouts that his arm strength was back to full health and he didnít disappoint, silencing his critics by capturing the gameís MVP Award.

    Since then he has done a good job working his way up draft boards, and looked solid at the Florida State Pro Day this afternoon, displaying above-average arm strength and excellent footwork. His performance today will only help further his draft stock as we inch closer to April 28.

    I see that he impressed with a "Bit" more arm strenght in his workouts, but maybe it still ins't enough to fit the scheme we run.

    Marty- My damn arm is strong enough to throw a 3 yard checkdown on 3rd and 7.:laugh:



    Locker, I just can't get a read on him.

    Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune's "gut" feeling is still that Jake Locker will be the Vikings' draft pick at No. 12 overall.
    Zulgad, the top Vikings beat reporter in the country, expressed a similar belief a few weeks back. NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has predicted Locker will not fall out of the top-20 picks. Locker has his Pro Day on March 30


    Not sure on the guy either and that generally means he should last until the 3rd or 4th round unless things get crazy at the draft.

    Interesting side topic: If it actually happened that every player mayock picked to go in the top 20 did they would have 40-50 players taken in the top 20:laugh:

    Like Mallet head, I wouldn't be to suprised (or upset) if they took him at 12 as both, all 3 really would be a reach there with Locker and Mallet probably not there in the second
    .

    I basically agree with this. I will say though that the guys who are grading these athletes out in the media are in the media because they can't do it well enough to make a career out of it with a team.

    And really, there are 22 players on offense and defense and depending on how the talent stacks up you can get a very very good player at some position with the 12th pick and if it happens that the DL, CB's and WR's start to go it is very possible to get a franchise guy at the 12 spot.

    I am sure right after Rodgers fell to GB there were very few who thought it was a mistake for him to fall that far and look how that has turned out. Especially when you compare him to Alex Smith. In that draft the positions of RB, WR, LB and CB dominated the top 20 of the draft
    Fair enough.
    But when I think about Troy Williamson and Erasmus James, I don't think the so called experts are that much better than the journalists.
    I doubt any journalists said we should have moved up to get Tarvaris or Gerhart.

    After last years draft, I will once again register concern that Spielman wasn't sent packing, along with Childress.

    The only time to trade a pick to move up is when you are going to pick the ripest fruit from the tree.
    Not Tarvaris Jackson. Not Toby Gerhart.

    Wilf needs to get a clue and send anyone moving up for a project, down the road.

    If they reach for a QB this year,that has no more to offer than Webb, the future is bleak.
    ďWhat takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Itís the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2009 Draft - Network poll
    By Zeus in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM
  2. Vikings of '69 of NFL network
    By CanuckVike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 08:33 AM
  3. Vikings vs. Bears on NFL Network 8pm Sun
    By Turboe in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 12:39 PM
  4. Mike Mayock/NFL Network Draft...
    By Lundar in forum Trash the Pack
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 02:19 AM
  5. Vikings on NFL Network
    By Webby in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 02:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •