Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

Anyone catch this on the NFLN?

The talk alot about Orton and Dnabb, but I don't think the staff is gonna use a pick on a old has been line Dnabb and I think that the Broncos have pretty much voided the possibility of Orton going anyplace.

There are a couple of vets that I have checked out, Bulger and Hasslebeck, with Bulger being the best option of those two IMHO.

Another cat to watch, that I think is a interesting prospect that is flying under the radar.......Matt Moore. I would like to see him on a team that has a bit more talent. Might suprise a few of us.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: NFL Network: Should The Vikings Draft A QB?

Mar 7, 2011 - Over at The Daily Norseman, we've chronicled some of the most recent developments about the Viking QB's: from the Fall of the House of Tarvaris, to How To Draft a QB 101, version 3.0, to the Tyler Durden of Twin Cities journalism, the infamous little birdie that tells Charley Walters things. Beautiful, wonderful things. Like, for instance, that [strike]he should walk into his office with a loaded pistol [/strike]the Vikings might trade for Kyle Orton because Joe Webb, while promising, isn't close to being ready.
    Sign a Free Agent: Over at Viking Update, they ran a story with all the free agent QB's that are available, and that list looks worse than Charlie Sheen's toxicology report. That's a lot of boom, not winning. The most promising names, if you want to call them that, are Matt Hasselbeck, he with the HAWT sister in law and really bad back, and Marc Bulger, a guy who see's more shadows in the pocket than that kid in The Sixth Sense.
    Obviously, the best bet for the Vikings, at least for the near future, is to try and trade for an established starter, but they're so hard to come by I would think a guy like Palmer or Orton would be a fairly steep price. What I think they'll do is look to sign a Marc Bulger-type guy, draft a guy, and go to camp with four guys, with the free agent vet the mentor for the kids.
    Vikings QB Carousel Continues To Turn
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090977

The talk alot about Orton and Dnabb, but I don't think the staff is gonna use a pick on a old has been line Dnabb and I think that the Broncos have pretty much voided the possibility of Orton going anyplace.

There are a couple of vets that I have checked out, Bulger and Hasslebeck, with Bulger being the best option of those two IMHO.

Another cat to watch, that I think is a interesting prospect that is flying under the radar.......Matt Moore. I would like to see him on a team that has a bit more talent. Might suprise a few of us.

I agree with you that Bulger might be a guy we could bring in as a stop gap QB but he had been beat up pretty badly and we would really need to shore up the OL in order to do that one. McNabb? If we sign him and I have to add another washed up retread QB try to revive his career on my favorite team I might just have to quit watching football because I would literally flip my lid if they signed him.

I concur that mallett is the most likely guy we would draft but I know absolutely nothing about him other than he has a great arm and limited mobility. I have no idea what type of leader he is or what his study habits are which are usually the difference between great players and busts.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090985

I agree with you that Bulger might be a guy we could bring in as a stop gap QB but he had been beat up pretty badly and we would really need to shore up the OL in order to do that one. McNabb? If we sign him and I have to add another washed up retread QB try to revive his career on my favorite team I might just have to quit watching football because I would literally flip my lid if they signed him.

I concur that mallett is the most likely guy we would draft but I know absolutely nothing about him other than he has a great arm and limited mobility. I have no idea what type of leader he is or what his study habits are which are usually the difference between great players and busts.
    Well if you go by Charles Davis's mock draft at NFL.com then he sees Mallet dropping right through the first round. If that were true then we go for one of the higher rated OL and see if Mallet dropped down in the second or maybe move up if he was worth it? I'm not familiar with a lot of the college players so don't know if Mallet would be worth that sort of move.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

duvaldomo is offline Coach

Mcnabb is old and washed up but you would rather have Bulger? Nabb had one bad year fellas, come on. It may have been his age catching up to him but I think it was the pressure/scheme he was in. If you get traded to your rivals they expect you to be their hero, Nabb hasnt been in that situation before. Im willing to give him another chance here. If he continues to suck, play Webb. Simple as that.

As for Bulger, he had about 3 good season (that wasnt all that good) and hes a good option? To me hes a backup at best and thats not what we need. We need a vet to come in for a year to let webb learn and look forward to better FA options next year.

Who better to groom Webb than Nabb? Both playing styles are similar.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "duvaldomo" #1090995

Mcnabb is old and washed up but you would rather have Bulger? Nabb had one bad year fellas, come on. It may have been his age catching up to him but I think it was the pressure/scheme he was in. If you get traded to your rivals they expect you to be their hero, Nabb hasnt been in that situation before. Im willing to give him another chance here. If he continues to suck, play Webb. Simple as that.

As for Bulger, he had about 3 good season (that wasnt all that good) and hes a good option? To me hes a backup at best and thats not what we need. We need a vet to come in for a year to let webb learn and look forward to better FA options next year.

Who better to groom Webb than Nabb? Both playing styles are similar.
    Actually I don't want either of them but between the two Bulger is better IMHO because he is not a prima donna and would accept a mentor role and be able to be happy playing second fiddle than McNabb would when the time came.

dfosterf is offline Coach

Kirwan; Need at QB so dire, expect a 'reach' and several 'runs' in the draft

...Teams that need a quarterback are going to have to consider reaching for one, or there might not be a lot to pick from by the time they draft again. Carolina, for example, picks first overall but doesn't select again until the top of the third round. Can Cincinnati, which owns the fourth overall pick, really call Carson Palmer's bluff? The Redskins might not love a guy like Jake Locker enough to take him with the 10th pick, but who will be there when they pick again in the second round (No. 41)? What choice does Minnesota have at No. 12 if Joe Webb is the only QB under contract and a realistic trade isn't possible?

As predictable as the fact that the draft is coming in April, quarterbacks are going to start to drive toward the top of the draft process. In each of the past 10 years, there has been at least one quarterback taken among the top three picks...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Two words. Matt Hasslebeck.

Grab him, draft a guy and we'll be OK. Hasslebeck is a FA(Better than trading), and I'd rather have him than Moore, McNabb, Bulger or whatever washed up or beat down QB is available to us.

We could try and trade for Orton/Kolb, but those are picks that we need for other positions as well.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Percentage of Passes Thrown After Lining Up Under Center In 2010

QUARTERBACK - - PERCENTAGE
    1. Jake Locker - - - - - 36.7
    2. Ryan Mallett - - - - - 36.5
    3. Cam Newton - - - - 4.3
    4. Blaine Gabbert - - - 0.0*

*Conference games only

Source: ESPN Stats & Information

On side note: I think the whole importance of playing under center i overrated. Sometimes I feel that even some experts value the experience under center more than important skills like arm strength or mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1090988

Well if you go by Charles Davis's mock draft at NFL.com then he sees Mallet dropping right through the first round. If that were true then we go for one of the higher rated OL and see if Mallet dropped down in the second or maybe move up if he was worth it? I'm not familiar with a lot of the college players so don't know if Mallet would be worth that sort of move.
    They were talking about the QB's in this class and how most of them aren't worth taking were teams, that need QB's, are drafting. Interesting aspect they put on it was the following:

Teams might not take them in the top 15, but they anticipate (they being Charles, Mayock, Casserly etc) that teams at the top of the second, will worry that the guy they want (that they passed on at the top of the first round) won't make it to them at the top of the second which will drive a few of them to move into the bottom (last 10 or so picks) of the first to get the guy they want.

The one all of them really talked in depth about was Carolina. They don't have a second round pick. All the good QB's will be gone by the third round.

Do they take a kid like Gabbert with the number 1 overall or do they take a defensive player and then try to package picks to get a kid at the bottome of the 1rst round Kindof rational.

Hope that makes sense the way I typed it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast