Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: NFL draft: Top-flight safeties few in number

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Fair enough.
    I a convinced enough to add him to the list of players I would take.
    The good news is that list is up to seven, so barring a Tice-like move in the draft, we should get at least one of them.
    Is it a realistic list?
    Or does it include Calvin Johnson?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Sharper is a pro-bowl player and Doss, Tank, and Dwight Smith have all been solid starters when healthy.
    Not to mention I saw some good flashes by Greg Blue.

As good as Landry may be, we don't really need him.
    Or at least, we have more pressing needs.
    IS; your wise words will bypass the ears of those who saw all of LL's highlight films and who forget how poor the WR crew is, how green the QBs are, and how awful the OL was last year.

If LL were taken by MN at 7, and the Vikings cut a few safeties in pre-season, some of those same people will complain that the Vikings should have traded those safeties before they were released, to address the remaining WR problem... which could have been DIRECTLY addressed at 7, or at 10-12 with a trade back.

Five prospects at safety who are currently on the Vikings roster, under contract for at least 1-2 years each, will easily yield 2 good starters and 2 fairly decent backups.

IMO, more pressing needs are: WR (duh, obviously), QB, RT, and OL/DL depth.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Fair enough.
    The good news is that list is up to seven, so barring a Tice-like move in the draft, we should get at least one of them.
    Is it a realistic list?

=Z=
    It is an all encompassing list, so yes, it includes CJ.

CJ
    Thomas
    Quinn
    AP
    Adams
    Landry
    Okoye

J Anderson and Levi Brown are up there too, but I would rather trade down with Miami and still take them at #9.
    No matter what, one of the other 7 will be available with the #7 pick, and so I think taking Anderson or Brown would be reaching for a need instead of taking BPA.
    That is a gray area with with those two though...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    Fair enough.
    Is it a realistic list?

=Z=
    It is an all encompassing list, so yes, it includes CJ.

CJ
    Thomas
    Quinn
    AP
    Adams
    Landry
    Okoye
    So, it's not realistic, then.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I'd LOVE for us to snag Landry..The guy has pro bowl written alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllll over him.If we got him we could allow Dwight Smith to play nickle, which would be perfect.I've been thinking about the possibility of Dwight playing nickle for quite some time actually.
    This article reminds me just why I want Landry.

Then we wouldnt have to worry about drafting another CB early in the draft.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Picking Landry wouldn't be a bad idea, but I still believe that we need more impact players on offense than defense. IMO if Peterson is gone at our pick along with Gaines Adams, we should trade down to the middle of the first round in a trade like the 7th pick for a starting WR, 4th-5th rounder, and pick 11-20. That way we can have our choice of Meachem, Ginn, Bowe, or Jamaal Anderson. If we don't trade down we get an impact player like Gaines Adams to help at end or Adrian Peterson to add a spark to our anemic offense. With Adrian we could also trade away Mewelde to a team in dire need of a RB or use him as trade bait to move into the end of the first round with our 2nd, picking up Jarrett.

Why would Childress sign Doss if he thought we needed another safety? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me at all. Hell, we could probably convince Atlanta that we would pick Landry and trade down one spot, still picking up the player of our choice minus landry.

Landry COULD be a pro-bowler, but will he really make an immediate impact stuck in a crowded bunch of safeties? Will he really help us that much next year? I would take a shot at the next LT rather than the next Ed Reed.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Picking Landry wouldn't be a bad idea, but I still believe that we need more impact players on offense than defense. IMO if Peterson is gone at our pick along with Gaines Adams, we should trade down to the middle of the first round in a trade like the 7th pick for a starting WR, 4th-5th rounder, and pick 11-20. That way we can have our choice of Meachem, Ginn, Bowe, or Jamaal Anderson. If we don't trade down we get an impact player like Gaines Adams to help at end or Adrian Peterson to add a spark to our anemic offense. With Adrian we could also trade away Mewelde to a team in dire need of a RB or use him as trade bait to move into the end of the first round with our 2nd, picking up Jarrett.

Why would Childress sign Doss if he thought we needed another safety? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me at all. Hell, we could probably convince Atlanta that we would pick Landry and trade down one spot, still picking up the player of our choice minus landry.

Landry COULD be a pro-bowler, but will he really make an immediate impact stuck in a crowded bunch of safeties? Will he really help us that much next year? I would take a shot at the next LT rather than the next Ed Reed.
    i agree but if its AP or Landry
    hands down i would pick AP but if AP is gone i would love to get Landry or trade down and maybe get okoye or one of the wr/ j. anderson and get some extra picks with doing that

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"Mr." wrote:
    I'd LOVE for us to snag Landry..The guy has pro bowl written alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllll over him.If we got him we could allow Dwight Smith to play nickle, which would be perfect.I've been thinking about the possibility of Dwight playing nickle for quite some time actually.

We have 5 starting capable safeties on the roster would you really want to add another? How does he have probowl written all over him? He hasnt even played 1 NFL game.

I would much rather have us go after Peterson, and if he is gone get either Okoye, or try to trade down and get Jarrett.

Thanks josdin00

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"tb04512" wrote:
    "Mr." wrote:

We have 5 starting capable safeties on the roster would you really want to add another? How does he have probowl written all over him? He hasnt even played 1 NFL game.

I would much rather have us go after Peterson, and if he is gone get either Okoye, or try to trade down and get Jarrett.
    As much as I like Landry, it doesn't make any sense to draft at that position.

Peterson would be a steal at that spot!
    Unless we move up that is!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12