Prophet Guest

NFL Draft info. (29 April 2006) from KFFL

CFL | Dolphins may let Williams play in the CFL
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:00:52 -0700

Perry Lefko, of the Toronto Sun, reports the Miami Dolphins are thinking about the possibility of allowing RB Ricky Williams to play for the CFL's Toronto Argonauts this year while he serves a one-year National Football League suspension for substance abuse. Agent Leigh Steinberg talked to a senior member of the Dolphins' management Thursday, April 27, about letting Williams come to Toronto. The Dolphins can decide to let Williams sit out the season and protect their investment or allow him to come to the CFL and play.

Broncos | Team had pre-draft visit with W. Reid
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 01:00:18 -0700

Robyn Disney, of the Macon Telegraph, reports Florida State WR Willie Reid had a pre-draft visit with the Denver Broncos last week in Denver. Reid said he's met with every NFL head coach.

Giants | Team had pre-draft visit with W. Reid
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:54:58 -0700

Robyn Disney, of the Macon Telegraph, reports Florida State WR Willie Reid had a pre-draft visit with the New York Giants last week in New York. Reid said he's met with every NFL head coach.

Titans | Team expected to draft V. Young
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:51:28 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports indications are the Tennessee Titans will draft QB Vince Young with the No. 3 selection in the NFL Draft, even if RB Reggie Bush is on the board. Many within the Titans organization view Young as the next Steve McNair, the Titans current quarterback.

Lions | Team conducted pre-draft visit with E. Winston
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:50:46 -0700

Christopher Stock, of the News-Journal, reports the Detroit Lions conducted a pre-draft visit with Miami OL Eric Winston.

Jets | Team conducted pre-draft visit with E. Winston

Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:46:48 -0700

Christopher Stock, of the News-Journal, reports the New York Jets conducted a pre-draft visit with Miami OL Eric Winston.

Dolphins | Team showing interest in Sebald
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:46:08 -0700

Sal Interdonato, of the Times Herald-Record, reports the Miami Dolphins are showing an interest in Hofstra TE Brandon Sebald heading into the NFL Draft.

Jaguars | Team showing interest in Sebald
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:45:37 -0700

Sal Interdonato, of the Times Herald-Record, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars are showing an interest in Hofstra TE Brandon Sebald heading into the NFL Draft.

Colts | Team showing interest in Sebald
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:45:05 -0700

Sal Interdonato, of the Times Herald-Record, reports the Indianapolis Colts are showing an interest in Hofstra TE Brandon Sebald heading into the NFL Draft.

Jets | Team showing interest in Sebald
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:44:31 -0700

Sal Interdonato, of the Times Herald-Record, reports the New York Jets are showing an interest in Hofstra TE Brandon Sebald heading into the NFL Draft.

Broncos | Team showing interest in Sebald
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:39:12 -0700

Sal Interdonato, of the Times Herald-Record, reports the Denver Broncos are showing an interest in Hofstra TE Brandon Sebald heading into the NFL Draft. Of teams showing interest, the Broncos have called Art Weiss, Sebald's agent, the most in the past week.

Dolphins | Team showing interest in Plackemeier
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:38:06 -0700

Dan Collins, of the Winston-Salem Journal, reports Miami Dolphins have shown particular interest in Wake Forest P Ryan Plackemeier.

Ravens | Team watched Plackemeier workout
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:36:20 -0700

Dan Collins, of the Winston-Salem Journal, reports coaches from the Baltimore Ravens attended a session at Wake Forest where players worked out for a group of NFL coaches. They checked out Wake Forest P Ryan Plackemeier and they have shown particular interest in him.

Rams | Team worked out Plackemeier
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:35:08 -0700

Dan Collins, of the Winston-Salem Journal, reports Wake Forest P Ryan Plackemeier worked out individually for the St. Louis Rams.

Redskins | Team worked out Plackemeier
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:34:00 -0700

Dan Collins, of the Winston-Salem Journal, reports Wake Forest P Ryan Plackemeier worked out individually for the Washington Redskins. The Redskins are showing particular interest in him.

Seahawks | Team worked out Plackemeier
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:28:07 -0700

Dan Collins, of the Winston-Salem Journal, reports Wake Forest P Ryan Plackemeier worked out individually for the Seattle Seahawks. The Seahawks are showing particular interest in him.

Eagles | Team reportedly discussed a trade with Buffalo
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:24:10 -0700

Les Bowen, of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports the Philadelphia Eagles are believed to have discussed switching picks with the Buffalo Bills, which chooses eighth, six slots before the Eagles. Bills general manager Marv Levy told the Buffalo News that he didn't expect the pick-swapping market to heat up until Saturday morning, April 29, and that the Bills weren't close to doing anything. Most mock drafts have Buffalo choosing Florida State DT Brodrick Bunkley, who also is believed to be of interest to the Eagles.

NFL | L. White had positive test?
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:23:38 -0700

Scott Wolf, of the Press Telegram, reports USC RB LenDale White reportedly tested positive for an undisclosed drug, according to multiple sources, which could affect his stock the NFL draft. White spoke briefly to a reporter Friday, April 28, but sounded unconcerned about the situation. "(The NFL) ain't worried about it," he said. "The issue's been addressed." Several sources said the test took place at the NFL Combine in late February. "If it's out, it's got to be a Combine test," said a source with knowledge of NFL drug testing. "Some teams also give their own tests but those are at individual workouts and no one releases those."

Dolphins | Team showing interest in R. Doughty
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:18:45 -0700

Samuel G. Mustari, of the Greeley Tribune, reports Northern Colorado S Reed Doughty said the Miami Dolphins are one of the teams showing the most interest in him heading into the NFL Draft. "I really think my best shot at being drafted will come on the second day," Doughty said. "The first day is for the first couple of rounds, and I don't expect to be drafted that high."

Cardinals | Team showing interest in R. Doughty
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:18:15 -0700

Samuel G. Mustari, of the Greeley Tribune, reports Northern Colorado S Reed Doughty said the Arizona Cardinals are one of the teams showing the most interest in him heading into the NFL Draft. "I really think my best shot at being drafted will come on the second day," Doughty said. "The first day is for the first couple of rounds, and I don't expect to be drafted that high."

Eagles | Team showing interest in R. Doughty
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:17:50 -0700

Samuel G. Mustari, of the Greeley Tribune, reports Northern Colorado S Reed Doughty said the Philadelphia Eagles are one of the teams showing the most interest in him heading into the NFL Draft. "I really think my best shot at being drafted will come on the second day," Doughty said. "The first day is for the first couple of rounds, and I don't expect to be drafted that high."

Steelers | Team showing interest in R. Doughty
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:17:17 -0700

Samuel G. Mustari, of the Greeley Tribune, reports Northern Colorado S Reed Doughty said the Pittsburgh Steelers are one of the teams showing the most interest in him heading into the NFL Draft. "I really think my best shot at being drafted will come on the second day," Doughty said. "The first day is for the first couple of rounds, and I don't expect to be drafted that high."

Patriots | Team showing interest in R. Doughty
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:16:41 -0700

Samuel G. Mustari, of the Greeley Tribune, reports Northern Colorado S Reed Doughty said the New England Patriots are one of the teams showing the most interest in him heading into the NFL Draft. "I really think my best shot at being drafted will come on the second day," Doughty said. "The first day is for the first couple of rounds, and I don't expect to be drafted that high."

Broncos | Team showing interest in R. Doughty
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:03:54 -0700

Samuel G. Mustari, of the Greeley Tribune, reports Northern Colorado S Reed Doughty said the Denver Broncos are one of the teams showing the most interest in him heading into the NFL Draft. "I really think my best shot at being drafted will come on the second day," Doughty said. "The first day is for the first couple of rounds, and I don't expect to be drafted that high."

[size=18px]CFL | Blue Bombers may sign O. Smith[/size]
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:00:12 -0700

Paul Friesen, of the Winnipeg Sun, reports the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL are attempting to sign NFL free agent RB Onterrio Smith (Vikings). Blue Bombers general manager Brendan Taman was smiling about the very real chance Smith could join the Bombers this season. "It's better than 50-50, is my gut right now," Taman said. "It's not a P.R. stunt." Released by the Minnesota Vikings this week, Smith's suspension prevents him from signing with another NFL team before October, but Smith doesn't want to wait.

Prophet Guest

Re: NFL Draft info. (29 April 2006) from KFFL

Jets | Ferguson taken with No. 4 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:47:56 -0700

With the 4th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the New York Jets selected OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson (Virginia).

Titans | V. Young taken with No. 3 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:35:36 -0700

With the 3rd overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans selected QB Vince Young (Texas).

Saints | R. Bush taken with No. 2 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:27:33 -0700

With the 2nd overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints selected RB Reggie Bush (USC).

Texans | M. Williams taken with No. 1 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:14:24 -0700

With the 1st overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans selected DL Mario Williams (North Carolina State).

Titans | Team likely to pick V. Young
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:00:16 -0700

Updating previous reports, the NFL Network reports the Tennessee Titans are likely to select Texas QB Vince Young with the No. 3 overall pick.

Jets | Team yet to make a formal offer to the Saints
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:13:02 -0700

ESPN reports the New York Jets have yet to make a formal offer to the New Orleans Saints for the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft. There is some pressure on the Jets to do anything possible to land USC RB Reggie Bush.

Titans | Team debates moving up to No. 2
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:11:48 -0700

ESPN reports the Tennessee Titans are giving some thought to moving up to the No. 2 pick in today's NFL Draft to select USC RB Reggie Bush.

Saints | Team looking at two options
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 07:04:20 -0700

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the New Orleans Saints apparently have narrowed their options for the NFL Draft to selecting USC RB Reggie Bush or trading out of the pick.

Browns | Ngata and Wimberley at the top of their draft board
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:52:51 -0700

Tony Grossi, of the Plain Dealer, reports the Cleveland Browns apparently have Oregon DT Haloti Ngata and Florida State DE Kamerion Wimbley rated about even on the top of their NFL Draft board. The team is expected to select Ngata with their No. 12 pick, if he is still on the board.

Jets | Team worked out C. Morris
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:45:56 -0700

Matt Markey, of the Toledo Blade, reports the New York Jets conducted a pre-draft workout with Michigan State OC Chris Morris. "I've talked to probably 20 teams or so, and I've heard that I could go anywhere from as early as the third round, or not get drafted at all and end up signing as a free agent," Morris said. "I really have no idea, other than what many people who should know told me, and that is that I'll definitely get a free agent deal if nothing else comes about."

Seahawks | Team worked out C. Morris
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:36:38 -0700

Matt Markey, of the Toledo Blade, reports the Seattle Seahawks conducted a pre-draft workout with Michigan State OC Chris Morris. "I've talked to probably 20 teams or so, and I've heard that I could go anywhere from as early as the third round, or not get drafted at all and end up signing as a free agent," Morris said. "I really have no idea, other than what many people who should know told me, and that is that I'll definitely get a free agent deal if nothing else comes about."

Lions | Team open to trading from No. 9
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:28:59 -0700

The Detroit Free Press reports the Detroit Lions have the No. 9 pick in today's NFL Draft, but they may not remain there. The stage seems set for some trading, and the Lions could be right in the middle of it. "I think there could be some movement," team president Matt Millen said. "It kind of feels like that maybe a little bit more than it has in the past." Millen has a history of draft-day trades. If the Lions move down, whom might they target? Two possibilities are USC OT Winston Justice and Florida State LB Ernie Sims.

Bengals | Team had pre-draft workout with Baugher
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:24:46 -0700

John Moredich, of the Tucson Citizen, reports Arizona P Danny Baugher had a pre-draft individual workout with the Cincinnati Bengals. If he's not picked, Baugher might be best served to sign a free agent deal immediately after the NFL Draft's conclusion.

Titans | Team had pre-draft workout with Baugher
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:24:11 -0700

John Moredich, of the Tucson Citizen, reports Arizona P Danny Baugher had a pre-draft individual workout with the Tennessee Titans. If he's not picked, Baugher might be best served to sign a free agent deal immediately after the NFL Draft's conclusion.

Redskins | Team had pre-draft workout with Baugher
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:23:31 -0700

John Moredich, of the Tucson Citizen, reports Arizona P Danny Baugher had a pre-draft individual workout with the Washington Redskins. If he's not picked, Baugher might be best served to sign a free agent deal immediately after the NFL Draft's conclusion.

Ravens | Team had pre-draft workout with Baugher
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:19:04 -0700

John Moredich, of the Tucson Citizen, reports Arizona P Danny Baugher had a pre-draft individual workout with the Baltimore Ravens. If he's not picked, Baugher might be best served to sign a free agent deal immediately after the NFL Draft's conclusion.

Cowboys | Team had pre-draft visit with A. Fasano
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:18:13 -0700

Notre Dame TE Anthony Fasano writes for the Star-Ledger that he had a pre-draft visit with the Dallas Cowboys.

Buccaneers | Team had pre-draft visit with A. Fasano
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:17:14 -0700

Notre Dame TE Anthony Fasano writes for the Star-Ledger that he had a pre-draft visit with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Jets | Team had pre-draft visit with A. Fasano
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:14:03 -0700

Notre Dame TE Anthony Fasano writes for the Star-Ledger that he had a pre-draft visit with the New York Jets.

Giants | Team has many options for No. 25 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:13:33 -0700

Ralph Vacchiano, of the New York Daily News, reports New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi has said the team would select the best available player with the 25th pick in today's NFL Draft. Now that LB LaVar Arrington has been signed, Accorsi's statement may ring true. Ideally, according to someone with knowledge of the Giants' draft plans, the team would prefer to use its first-round pick for defense. But if all the top linebackers, cornerbacks and defensive tackles are gone, the source couldn't rule out the possibility that they'd take a receiver, a running back or an offensive tackle instead.

[size=24px]Vikings | Team held workout for S. Weatherford[/size]
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:02:39 -0700

John Supinie, of the State Journal-Register, reports the Minnesota Vikings held a pre-draft individual workout for Illinois P Steve Weatherford. Weatherford's ability to kick off could help his marketability.

Buccaneers | Team held workout for S. Weatherford
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:02:02 -0700

John Supinie, of the State Journal-Register, reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers held a pre-draft individual workout for Illinois P Steve Weatherford. Weatherford's ability to kick off could help his marketability.

Packers | Team held workout for S. Weatherford
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:01:22 -0700

John Supinie, of the State Journal-Register, reports the Green Bay Packers held a pre-draft individual workout for Illinois P Steve Weatherford. Weatherford's ability to kick off could help his marketability.

Ravens | Team held workout for S. Weatherford
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 05:59:41 -0700

John Supinie, of the State Journal-Register, reports the Baltimore Ravens held a pre-draft individual workout for Illinois P Steve Weatherford. Weatherford's ability to kick off could help his marketability.

Bears | Team attended on-campus workout for S. Weatherford
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 05:59:01 -0700

John Supinie, of the State Journal-Register, reports the Chicago Bears attended an on-campus workout for Illinois P Steve Weatherford. Weatherford's ability to kick off could help his marketability.

Giants | Team attended on-campus workout for S. Weatherford
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 05:58:39 -0700

John Supinie, of the State Journal-Register, reports the New York Giants attended an on-campus workout for Illinois P Steve Weatherford. Weatherford's ability to kick off could help his marketability.

Prophet Guest

Colts | Addai with No. 30 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:46:28 -0700

With the 30th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Indianapolis Colts selected RB Joseph Addai (Louisiana State).

Jets | Mangold with No. 29 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:44:32 -0700

With the 29th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the New York Jets selected C Nick Mangold (Ohio State).

Jaguars | Lewis with No. 28 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:38:28 -0700

With the 28th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars selected TE Marcedes Lewis (UCLA).

Panthers | D. Williams with No. 27 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:32:21 -0700

With the 27th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Carolina Panthers selected RB DeAngelo Williams (Memphis).

Bills | McCargo with No. 26 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:30:58 -0700

With the 26th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills selected DT John McCargo (North Carolina State).

Steelers | Holmes with No. 25 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:21:27 -0700

With the 25th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected WR Santonio Holmes (Ohio State).

Bengals | J. Joseph with No. 24 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:08:00 -0700

With the 24th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Cincinnati Bengals selected CB Johnathan Joseph (South Carolina).

Buccaneers | Joseph with No. 23 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:57:19 -0700

With the 23rd overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected OG Davin Joseph (Oklahoma).

49ers | Lawson taken with No. 22 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:43:41 -0700

With the 22nd overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers selected DE Manny Lawson (North Carolina State).

Patriots | Maroney taken with No. 21 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:40:02 -0700

With the 21st overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots selected RB Laurence Maroney (Minnesota).

Chiefs | T. Hali taken with No. 20 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:28:47 -0700

With the 20th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs selected DL Tamba Hali (Penn State).

Chargers | A. Cromartie taken with No. 19 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:18:31 -0700

With the 19th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers selected CB Antonio Cromartie (Florida State).

Cowboys | Carpenter taken with No. 18 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:05:44 -0700

With the 18th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys selected LB Bobby Carpenter (Ohio State).

Eagles | Fast fact
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:00:27 -0700

The Associated Press reports by taking DT Brodrick Bunkley with the No. 14 overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, it marks the second straight year and third time in the last six drafts that the Philadelphia Eagles have taken a defensive tackle in the first round.

[size=24px]Vikings | C. Greenway taken with No. 17 pick[/size]
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:54:21 -0700

With the 17th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings selected LB Chad Greenway (Iowa).

Dolphins | J. Allen taken with No. 16 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:44:34 -0700

With the 16th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins selected DB Jason Allen (Tennessee).

Rams | T. Hill taken with No. 15 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:32:52 -0700

With the 15th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams selected CB Tye Hill (Clemson).

Eagles | B. Bunkley taken with No. 14 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:27:24 -0700

With the 14th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles selected DL Brodrick Bunkley (Florida State).

Browns | Wimbley taken with No. 13 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:04:39 -0700

With the 13th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns selected DL Kamerion Wimbley (Florida State).

Ravens | H. Ngata taken with No. 12 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:03:28 -0700

With the 12th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Baltimore Ravens selected DL Haloti Ngata (Oregon).

Ravens | Team trades up to No. 12 overall draft pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:02:48 -0700

The Baltimore Ravens have traded up to the No. 12 overall draft selection. Details of the trade are unknown.

Broncos | J. Cutler taken with No. 11 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:47:30 -0700

With the 11th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos selected QB Jay Cutler (Vanderbilt).

Broncos | Team trades up to No. 11 overall draft pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:46:57 -0700

The Denver Broncos have traded up to the No. 11 overall draft selection. Details of the trade are unknown.

Cardinals | M. Leinart taken with No. 10 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:35:55 -0700

With the 10th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Arizona Cardinals selected QB Matt Leinart (USC).

Lions | E. Sims taken with No. 9 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:33:28 -0700

With the 9th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions selected LB Ernie Sims (Florida State).

Bills | D. Whitner taken with No. 8 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:26:38 -0700

With the 8th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills selected S Donte Whitner (Ohio State).

Cardinals | Looking at Leinart?
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:22:41 -0700

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN.com, reports the Arizona Cardinals would likely not let Southern Cal QB Matt Leinart pass by should he drop to the No. 10 overall pick in the NFL Draft.

Raiders | M. Huff taken with No. 7 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:15:13 -0700

With the 7th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Oakland Raiders selected DB Michael Huff (Texas).

Jets | Team takes first OL since 1988
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:14:25 -0700

ESPN reports with the selection of OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson as the No. 4 overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, it marks the first time the New York Jets selected an offensive lineman in the first round since taking former NFL OG Dave Cadigan with the No. 8 overall pick in 1988.

49ers | V. Davis taken with No. 6 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:02:09 -0700

With the 6th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the San Francisco 49ers selected TE Vernon Davis (Maryland).

Jets | Team tried trading up to No. 2 overall
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:00:08 -0700

The NFL Network reports the New York Jets tried to trade up for the No. 2 overall pick, but the New Orleans Saints did not want to trade out of that spot.

Packers | Hawk taken with No. 5 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:59:57 -0700

With the 5th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Green Bay Packers selected LB A.J. Hawk (Ohio State).

Prophet Guest

NFL | Fast fact: NFL Draft
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:14:25 -0700

Rick Freeman, of the Associated Press, reports there were 12 underclassmen taken in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft, including the first three picks and six of the top 10.

NFL | Fast fact: NFL Draft

Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:05:11 -0700

Rick Freeman, of the Associated Press, reports seven defensive backs were taken in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft, tied for the most with the 1998 NFL Draft.

Jaguars | M. Drew selected with No. 60 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:04:23 -0700

With the 60th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Jacksonville Jaguars selected RB Maurice Drew (UCLA).

Colts | Addai becomes heir apparent to James; Rhodes still the starter
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:39:43 -0700

Reggie Hayes, of the News-Sentinel, reports Indianapolis Colts RB Joseph Addai became the heir apparent to RB Edgerrin James when the Colts selected him with the No. 30 pick in today's NFL Draft. "He's exactly the same size as Edgerrin (and) has many of the same attributes," Colts president Bill Polian said. "I'm not trying to make him Edgerrin – that's far too heavy a burden for any back to carry. But he's a very good blocker, a very good receiver and a very hard-running, speedy, shifty back." Addai said he doesn't mind the pressure of ultimately replacing Edge. "I just want to come in and compete with the other players and get on the field as soon as quick as I can," Addai said via conference call. "I feel I can catch the ball, run the ball and block when I have to block. I feel I'm an every-down back." Polian likes the fact Addai has low mileage on his legs, and the Colts decided early this morning that he was their targeted first-round pick. Head coach Tony Dungy said returning RB Dominic Rhodes would be the team's starter to open training camp, with Addai as a complementary back.

Giants | Kiwanuka a little surprised by Giants selecting him
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 16:18:48 -0700

New York Giants DE Mathias Kiwanuka said he was a little surprised he was selected by the New York Giants in the NFL Draft. "I was a little bit surprised. I was waiting throughout the whole draft and knew somebody would take me, I just didn't know who. When it got to that point I was surprised that the Giants took me but I wasn't surprised that I went." He also said he's not sure where he fits in with the Giants, but he's sure he will. He said he did not have surgery in the offseason and that his injured knee, from the 2005 season, is fine.

Chargers | Smith happy with Cromartie pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:39:10 -0700

San Diego Chargers general manager is very happy with the team's selection of CB Antonio Cromartie in the first round of the NFL Draft. "First pick, very, very pleased. We had a cluster of players. You've heard me say that a lot. We had everything we wanted to pick from. We had linebackers, tackles and a corner we think is special. I know a lot of your questions are why not a tackle. We were looking for corners and tackles so we could've gone either way. This guy we believe is going to be a special player so we're excited. We really think he's got everything you're looking for. The one thing he didn't have which you heard is somewhat of a gamble is not a large body of work and an injury. Again he's a very good player."

Seahawks | Team's selection of Jennings keeps Miami's streak alive
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:37:49 -0700

Susan Miller Degnan, of the Miami Herald, reports the University of Miami's streak of having at least one player taken in the first round of the NFL Draft was preserved when the Seattle Seahawks selected Miami CB Kelly Jennings with the 31st overall pick. It is the 12th straight year Miami has had a first-round selection.

Titans | White selected with No. 45 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:29:41 -0700

With the 30th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Tennessee Titans selected RB LenDale White (Southern Cal).

Patriots | C. Jackson selected with No. 36 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:28:23 -0700

With the 36th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the New England Patriots selected WR Chad Jackson (Florida).

49ers | Lawson can fit into 3-4 or 4-3 schemes
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:25:28 -0700

Greg Beacham, of the Associated Press, reports the San Francisco 49ers have not yet decided whether to play with a 3-4 or 4-3 defense in 2006. However, DE/LB Manny Lawson, who the team drafted No. 22 overall in the 2006 NFL Draft, has the versatility to fit into either scheme. "I told them they can use me any which way," Lawson said. "They just have to tell me. I'm excited now. I still haven't stopped shaking."

Lions | Millen happy with Sims' pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:34:26 -0700

Detroit Lions team president Matt Millen was happy with the team's first-round draft pick, Florida State LB Ernie Sims. "When we sat and spoke the other day, the one thing we said was that the guy that we were going to get was going to be a guy who was going to exemplify all of the non-talent issues. That's exactly what we picked. This is a guy, who on top of the non-talent stuff, has a lot of talent. Most importantly, he's got great speed; he's a great hitter; great range. He'll come in and he'll be able to add to what we're trying to do. I think the biggest thing here is that it's a piece. We'll put the piece in and he's got to work and make it work, and he will because he's a talented kid and it's important to him. That was important to us." Millen said he is not worried about Sims' history of concussions, calling them a non-issue. Millen says it shows that Sims is a big-hitter.

Eagles | Bunkley says signing should not be a problem
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:06:05 -0700

Philadelphia Eagles DT Brodrick Bunkley, the team's No. 1 draft choice in Saturday's NFL Draft, said he does not expect his signing to be an issue. He's going to leave that to his agent.

Eagles | Bunkley says other teams looked at him; he's happy in Philadelphia
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:04:29 -0700

Philadelphia Eagles DT Brodrick Bunkley, the team's No. 1 draft choice in Saturday's NFL Draft, said he knew the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns were interested in him. He also said he did not visit Buffalo so he was not surprised the Buffalo Bills bypassed him. He also visited Detroit, but he knew the Detroit Lions were high on LB Ernie Sims. He's happy to be in Philadelphia though. "I landed in a great place. You've got athletes around here everywhere. It's a great place and I'm just ready to go. I'm really excited right now."

Giants | Kiwanuka with No. 32 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:02:12 -0700

With the 32nd overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the New York Giants selected DE Mathias Kiwanuka (Boston College).

Seahawks | Jennings with No. 31 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 14:00:47 -0700

With the 31st overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Seattle Seahawks selected CB Kelly Jennings (Miami, FL).

Prophet Guest

Raiders | Gallery looks like he will change positions
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:28:09 -0700

Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, reports there has been much speculation that ORT Robert Gallery will be moved to the left tackle. Raiders head coach Art Shell confirmed that there is more there than idle chatter. "We have discussed moving Robert Gallery and, in our plans, he's probably going to move to the left tackle spot, yes," Shell said. Shell refused to say what his plans are for current OLT Barry Sims.

Texans | Ryans will compete for starting linebacker job
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:26:33 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans rookie LB DeMeco Ryans will compete with LB Shantee Orr and LB Morlon Greenwood at strongside linebacker and weakside linebacker.

Texans | McKinney moving to right guard
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:26:13 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans OG Steve McKinney is moving to right guard, a position he has never played before.

Texans | Pitts back at left guard
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:25:52 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans OG Chester Pitts has been working at left guard. The team moved him back there in anticipation of improving personnel at offensive tackle.

Texans | E. Winston will compete at right tackle
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:25:25 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans rookie OT Eric Winston will compete with OT Zach Wiegert and OT Todd Wade at right tackle.

Texans | Spencer will compete for starting left tackle
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:24:49 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans rookie OT Charles Spencer will compete with OT Seth Wand for the starting left tackle job.

Raiders | Huff wants to wear No. 24
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:18:07 -0700

Steve Corkran, of the Contra Costa Times, repots Oakland Raiders rookie DB Michael Huff wants to wear No. 24 with the Raiders. No decision about Huff's number has been announced, but teams generally go out of their way to accede to the wishes of top draft picks. Due to that consideration you can expect to see Huff in that familiar jersey next season and beyond.

Redskins | McIntosh will compete for weakside role
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:17:42 -0700

David Elfin, of the Washington Times, reports Washington Redskins rookie LB Rocky McIntosh will compete with LBs Warrick Holdman and Chris Clemons to fill the weakside linebacker role.

Browns | C. Thompson could move to inside linebacker
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:17:19 -0700

Mike McLain, of the Tribune Chronicle, reports Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel and defensive coordinator Todd Grantham have considered moving LB Chaun Thompson to inside linebacker.

Browns | M. Stewart could move to inside linebacker
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:16:37 -0700

Mike McLain, of the Tribune Chronicle, reports Cleveland Browns head coach Romeo Crennel and defensive coordinator Todd Grantham have considered moving LB Matt Stewart to inside linebacker.

Browns | Savage thinking highly of D. Jackson
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:15:53 -0700

Mike McLain, of the Tribune Chronicle, reports Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage believes Browns rookie LB D'Qwell Jackson could go tot-to-toe with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Savage said, "He has a great football demeanor and will give us a presence. He'll go toe-to-toe with Pittsburgh. I believe that. In spite of his size (6-0.5, 230 pounds), he can punch off and get to the outside and make plays behind the line of scrimmage. At the Senior Bowl, he did a great job in one-on-one blitzes and coverage."

[size=24px]Vikings | Team coveted T. Jackson[/size]
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:15:17 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings had wanted QB Tarvaris Jackson in the NFL Draft. The team's interest in him increased after regional scout Frank Gilliam watched him play during the 2005 season. The team's director of college scouting, Scott Studwell said, "He's going to take time like they all do, but he was a player that we coveted in this draft, and we're just very, very pleased to have him in our program."

Rams | Klopfenstein has ability to line up at several spots
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:01:54 -0700

Bill Coats, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports St. Louis Rams TE Joe Klopfenstein has the ability to line up at several positions, including fullback and slot receiver. His speed makes him a downfield threat as well. Klopfenstein said, "When I get singled up on those safeties, it's a mismatch. If they put the ball up there, more likely than not I'm going to be able to go up and get it." He has acknowledged that he needs to improve his blocking.

Patriots | Belichick called Dillon before selecting Maroney
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:01:11 -0700

Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick called RB Corey Dillon before selecting rookie RB Laurence Maroney with the No. 21 overall selection in the NFL Draft. Belichick said he think Dillon understands and explained to him what the situation was. Belichick added, "We expect Corey to be ready to go. I'm sure that he will be. He's professional and he's been a very productive player for us."

Steelers | S. Holmes likely to play slot for 2006 season
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:00:33 -0700

Jim Wexell, of the Tribune-Democrat, reports Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach Bruce Arians plans to use rookie WR Santonio Holmes in the slot for the 2006 season.

Bears | Hester will play cornerback
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:00:08 -0700

K.C. Johnson, of the Chicago Tribune, reports Chicago Bears DB Devin Hester will play cornerback with the team.

Cowboys | Team views Hatcher as a run-stopper
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:57:30 -0700

Jean-Jacques Taylor, of the Dallas Morning News, reports the Dallas Cowboys view rookie DL Jason Hatcher as a run-stopper.

Cowboys | J. Jones would be disappointed if Carpenter isn't a starter
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:56:53 -0700

Jean-Jacques Taylor, of the Dallas Morning News, reports Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones would be disappointed if Cowboys rookie LB Bobby Carpenter is not a starter. Jones said, "Bobby has played the position and done all of the types of things we would ask him to do. His work ethic, skill level and love of the game make him have good odds of being successful. I would be disappointed to use that high of a pick and not have a starter. My expectation is for him to move pretty quickly once he gets here."

Titans | Agent ready to begin negotiations for V. Young
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:50:37 -0700

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Tennessee Titans rookie QB Vince Young is ready to get things going with the Titans. "I'm going to compete as hard as I can to play as soon as possible," Young said. "I'll do whatever it takes. I don't know of any other way. "I'm excited to be coached by (offensive coordinator) Norm Chow. He's one of the greatest quarterback coaches in history. We're going to become very good friends. It's very important to get the contract done so I can get to Nashville and concentrate on football." Young's agent, Major Adams, is ready to begin contract negotiations.

Cardinals | K. Warner expects to remain starter
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:42:36 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports Arizona Cardinals QB Kurt Warner called vice president of football operations Rod Graves after the pick of QB Matt Leinart to congratulate the team on the pick, and while he remains aware of the pressure for Leinart to get on the field, Warner is taking the team's word that he will be the starter. "We expect to win with Kurt Warner this year," Graves said.

Cardinals | Team hoping L. Pope will eventually start
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:21:56 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports the Arizona Cardinals are hoping rookie TE Leonard Pope will eventually add 15 pounds and become their starter at tight end.

Dolphins | Allen's role with team will be defined after rookie minicamp
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:21:22 -0700

Alex Marvez, of the Sun-Sentinel, reports Miami Dolphins DB Jason Allen will have his exact role in the secondary as a safety or cornerback more clearly defined after he participates in his rookie minicamp, according to head coach Nick Saban.

Patriots | Belichick called Dillon before selecting Maroney
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:01:11 -0700

Michael Felger, of the Boston Herald, reports New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick called RB Corey Dillon before selecting rookie RB Laurence Maroney with the No. 21 overall selection in the NFL Draft. Belichick said he think Dillon understands and explained to him what the situation was. Belichick added, "We expect Corey to be ready to go. I'm sure that he will be. He's professional and he's been a very productive player for us."

Rams | Team drafts two tight ends
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:19:46 -0700

Jim Thomas, of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, reports the St. Louis Rams drafted TEs Joe Klopfenstein (Colorado) and Dominique Byrd (USC) during the second and third rounds of the 2006 NFL Draft. The selection of two tight ends is an obvious wake-up call for TE Brandon Manumaleuna, who has skipped most of the Rams' offseason conditioning program.

[size=24px]Vikings | Cook insurance for Birk[/size]
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:17:48 -0700

Mark Craig and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, report the Minnesota Vikings selected OC Ryan Cook (New Mexico) in the second round of the NFL Draft. At 6-6 and 328 pounds, his size makes him highly unusual for the position. He figures as a possible insurance policy against the health of starting OC Matt Birk.

[size=24px]Vikings | Team trades up to select quarterback[/size]Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:17:13 -0700

Mark Craig and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, report the Minnesota Vikings traded up into the second round of the NFL Draft to select their quarterback of the future, QB Tarvaris Jackson (Alabama State). Vikings head coach Brad Childress is considered one of the league's better developers of quarterbacks. With QB Brad Johnson as the starter and QB Mike McMahon as the backup, Jackson won't need to start any time soon, barring injuries. Jackson said he thought he had a "slight chance" of being picked Saturday, April 29. "I really didn't expect to go," Jackson said. "I knew (the Vikings) were interested in me, but I didn't know it would come in the second round. I'm excited to get up there and get started."

Titans | Team made best offer to move up to No. 2
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:05:48 -0700

The Titans Radio Network, citing Mike Detillier, of the M & D Draft Report, reports the Tennessee Titans actually put the best trade offer on the table to the New Orleans Saints to move up to the No. 2 pick in the NFL Draft. If the Titans would have gotten a deal done with New Orleans for the second pick, it is still uncertain on how they would have used it, although earlier reports said they were considering drafting RB Reggie Bush.

Jaguars | Team selects back-to-back college teammates for the first time
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:02:48 -0700

Jacksonville.com reports when the Jacksonville Jaguars picked UCLA TE Marcedes Lewis in the first round of the NFL Draft and UCLA RB Maurice Drew in the second round, it marked the first time the Jaguars picked back-to-back teammates in team history.

Jaguars | Drew will be given a chance to compete
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:02:23 -0700

Jacksonville.com reports the Jacksonville Jaguars picked RB Maurice Drew in the second round of the NFL Draft. "We like our running backs and we're not asking him to come in here to be the number one guy, but he will have a chance to compete for playing time," said Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio.

Dolphins | Saban happy with Hagan selection
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:38:19 -0700

Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban was pleased with the team's selection of WR Derek Hagan (Arizona State) in the third-round of the NFL Draft. "We're obviously very pleased. Receiver was one of the areas that we had targeted in this draft. Derek Hagan was one of our top guys at that position. He's a guy that probably was very highly rated going into this draft. He was at the Senior Bowl. We got to see him. He was kind of a big play guy there and a go to guy. He dropped some balls, made some people question some interest in him. A little inconsistent at the (NFL) Combine but I think when you go back and actually watch the guy play at Arizona State which we spent a significant amount of time doing, he made a tremendous amount of big plays there and was a very consistent catcher and seemed to do a little bit better in the games than he did maybe in the drill work. So he's a fine young man. We're very pleased to have him in the organization. Saban recognized the team needed to add a third wide receiver to the mix.

Chargers | McNeill says back cost him first-round selection
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:16:14 -0700

San Diego Chargers rookie OT Marcus McNeill (back) said he expected to be selected in the first round of the NFL Draft, but that concerns over his back cost him that chance. He said his back is fine now. "My back is fine. I plan on showing everybody that when I get into camp. I'll be down there showing off my back." He said his back has not limited him at all. He said he is ready to learn from Chargers current OLT Roman Oben.

Chiefs | Croyle selected with No. 85 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:15:39 -0700

With the 85th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Kansas City Chiefs selected QB Brodie Croyle (Alabama).

Chargers | Whitehurst selected with No. 81 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:15:36 -0700

With the 81st overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers selected QB Charlie Whitehurst (Clemson).

Lions | Calhoun selected with No. 74 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 18:10:07 -0700

With the 74th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions selected RB Brian Calhoun (Wisconsin).

Prophet Guest

[size=24px]Vikings general news tidbits from KFFL:[/size]

Vikings | Team coveted T. Jackson
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:15:17 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings had wanted QB Tarvaris Jackson in the NFL Draft. The team's interest in him increased after regional scout Frank Gilliam watched him play during the 2005 season. The team's director of college scouting, Scott Studwell said, "He's going to take time like they all do, but he was a player that we coveted in this draft, and we're just very, very pleased to have him in our program."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Cook insurance for Birk
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:17:48 -0700

Mark Craig and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, report the Minnesota Vikings selected OC Ryan Cook (New Mexico) in the second round of the NFL Draft. At 6-6 and 328 pounds, his size makes him highly unusual for the position. He figures as a possible insurance policy against the health of starting OC Matt Birk.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Team trades up to select quarterback
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:17:13 -0700

Mark Craig and Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, report the Minnesota Vikings traded up into the second round of the NFL Draft to select their quarterback of the future, QB Tarvaris Jackson (Alabama State). Vikings head coach Brad Childress is considered one of the league's better developers of quarterbacks. With QB Brad Johnson as the starter and QB Mike McMahon as the backup, Jackson won't need to start any time soon, barring injuries. Jackson said he thought he had a "slight chance" of being picked Saturday, April 29. "I really didn't expect to go," Jackson said. "I knew (the Vikings) were interested in me, but I didn't know it would come in the second round. I'm excited to get up there and get started."

Vikings | Team debated moving up for Cutler
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:48:06 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings debated trading up to acquire Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler in the first round of the NFL Draft, but the Denver Broncos jumped from the 15th spot to the St. Louis Rams' 11th pick by giving up a high third-round choice. For the Vikings to even have a chance to move up, they would have had to part with at least both of their third round picks, meaning they would have had to give up three of their five first-day picks for one player. In the end, the Vikings felt the price was too steep. "To say that we didn't call wouldn't be fair," Vikings' vice president of player personnel Fran Foley said. "But to say that we had an interest in going way up into the draft to get (Cutler), I don't know that we would say that."

Vikings | Trade details with Steelers
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:36:31 -0700

ESPN.com reports the Pittsburgh Steelers have traded their second-round pick (No. 64 overall) to the Minnesota Vikings for two third-round picks - Nos. 83 and 95. The Vikings used the No. 64 pick to select QB Tarvaris Jackson (Alabama State).

Vikings | Greenway fits team’s biggest need
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 17:00:45 -0700

Josh Fielder, of Vikings.com, reports while the Minnesota Vikings may have missed out on getting one of the draft's top quarterbacks in the first round, they were able to fill their largest immediate need at No. 17 overall with LB Chad Greenway. With LBs Sam Cowart, Raonall Smith and Keith Newman leaving in the offseason, they were in need of a player at the position, especially someone as talented as Greenway.

Vikings | C. Greenway taken with No. 17 pick
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:54:21 -0700

With the 17th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings selected LB Chad Greenway (Iowa).

Vikings | Team held workout for S. Weatherford
    Sat, 29 Apr 2006 06:02:39 -0700

John Supinie, of the State Journal-Register, reports the Minnesota Vikings held a pre-draft individual workout for Illinois P Steve Weatherford. Weatherford's ability to kick off could help his marketability.