Prophet Guest

NFL draft info. (20 April 2006) from KFFL

Jets | V. Davis entering the picture
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:29:33 -0700

Bob Glauber and Ken Berger, of Newsday, report there is increased speculation in league circles that the New York Jets are giving serious consideration to drafting Maryland TE Vernon Davis, whom some scouts consider one of the best talents at his position in years. The 6-3, 254-pound Davis has been on the rise on draft boards all spring because of his athleticism, 4.4 speed in the 40-yard dash and ability to stretch the field. Last season at Maryland, Davis had 51 catches for 871 yards and six touchdowns.

Jets | Team liking R. Bush; but won't move up
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:24:57 -0700

Gary Myers, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets are smitten with USC RB Reggie Bush, but will not call the Houston Texans about moving up to the top spot to get him, even with Houston willing to listen to trade offers. There are many smokescreens out and about at this time of the year, but Wednesday night, April 19, Texans general manager Charley Casserly insisted that Houston has not decided between the dynamic Bush and North Carolina State DE Mario Williams. Casserly said he hasn't received any offers for the No.1 pick. "It doesn't mean we won't," he said. "We are open to offers." One source believes Casserly is trying to use Williams to create leverage in negotiations with Bush's agent, Joel Segal. Casserly, naturally, rejected that theory and also said he is not trying to entice trade offers by talking up Williams.

Saints | Team conducted pre-draft visit with V. Davis
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:11:52 -0700

Jimmy Smith, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the New Orleans Saints conducted a pre-draft visit with Maryland TE Vernon Davis. Davis met with Saints owner Tom Benson at a hotel Tuesday night, April 18, ate dinner and met informally with the coaching staff that also was in attendance, according to one of the player's agents. The Saints also met with four other players during that timeframe.

Saints | Team invited R. Bush to meet with them; he had conflicts
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:06:42 -0700

Jimmy Smith, of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, reports the New Orleans Saints invited USC RB Reggie Bush to meet with them, but he had scheduling conflicts and could not attend.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: NFL draft info. (20 April 2006) from KFFL

Thanks for the update Prophet, I have been hearing a lot of speculation that the Saints will take AJ Hawk now which would change the top 10 picks dramatically.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Prophet Guest

Browns | Savage high on Ngata
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:39:49 -0700

Steve Doershuck, of the Canton Repository, reports Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage believes Oregon DT Haloti Ngata is athletic enough to play outside. Should he be chosen by the Browns at No. 12, they could move him to defensive end and then move DE Orpheus Roye to the right side.

NFL | White brings a lot to the table?
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:38:56 -0700

Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle, reports several running backs will likely be taken in the first round of the NFL draft. Among them is University of Southern California RB LenDale White (hamstring). White was picked by many as the No. 2 running back in the draft after his teammate Reggie Bush. However, a blown hamstring has kept him from working out for teams and lowered his draft stock somewhat. Still, White is expected to be among the top running backs chosen in the 2006 NFL Draft. White is one of the bigger backs available. "I think how big I am and how strong I am helps me out a lot," White said. "I'm kind of happy to be in this class because you get a lot more touchdowns when you're big."

NFL | Williams could be the 1
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:15:16 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports North Carolina State DE Mario Williams may be making a bid to be taken No. 1 overall in the upcoming draft. His measurables are off the charts. Williams stands 6-7 and weighs nearly 300 pounds. He runs the 40-yard dash in 4.7 seconds. "I haven't seen a guy like this in years,' Tennessee Titans Coach Jeff Fisher said of Williams. "I've seen solid players, impact players, but nobody that has a potential to impact a defense like him.'

Vikings | Could move around on draft day?
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:14:18 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings vice president of player personnel Fran Foley is not opposed to trading up during the upcoming NFL Draft. He said the team could move up or down a couple of spots, but the team is avoiding reaching on a player. He added history over the past 20 years shows teams won't move more than six or seven spots because it's too big of a jump. The Vikings have an NFL-high five picks amongst the top 95 selections. He also added the team has talked about just staying put, taking their selections and being happy with where they are already slotted.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

The crazy thing about the draft is all the speculation that goes on prior to draft day with what players are on the rise and who the top teams really like. Things usually fall into line on draft day it seems like so it will probably look something like:

1. Bush
    2. Williams
    3. Leinart
    4. Young
    5. Hawk

But I guess you just never know. Personally, I'm hoping that the vikes stay put and keep all 5 of their picks in the top 95!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Prophet Guest

Raiders | Stinson visits with team
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:43:51 -0700

Nancy Gay, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the Oakland Raiders have brought Jackson State OT Albert Stinson in for a pre-draft visit.

Dolphins | Acquiring a quarterback does not rule one out in the NFL Draft
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:08:33 -0700

David J. Neal, of the Miami Herald, reports during his pre-draft news conference Thursday, April 20, Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban said even a trade for a backup quarterback wouldn't preclude the Dolphins from taking one in the first round of the NFL Draft. 'I think we have a situation where we would like to get someone to be our backup quarterback,' Saban said. "The priority is that guy would have a few skins on the wall in terms of his experience in the National Football League. But, certainly, a young player who has a tremendous amount of potential who we felt good about would create value to the organization, especially down the road.'

Raiders | Young visits
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:56:16 -0700

Nancy Gay, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the Oakland Raiders have shown interest in University of Texas QB Vince Young. Quarterback is high among the team's needs. Last month during Young's Pro Day the Raiders elected to send regional scouts as opposed to high-ranking player personnel heads. The Raiders did conduct a pre-draft visit with the Texas quarterback Wednesday, April 19.

Raiders | Team visits with Huff
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:38:35 -0700

Nancy Gay, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the Oakland Raiders visited with University of Texas DB Michael Huff Wednesday, April 19.

Raiders | Leinart to visit with team
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:38:14 -0700

Nancy Gay, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the agent for University of Southern California QB Matt Leinart confirmed that he has scheduled a visit for Leinart with the Oakland Raiders Friday, April 21.

Raiders | Team visits with Keiaho
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:37:53 -0700

Nancy Gay, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports the Oakland Raiders have brought San Diego State LB Freddy Keiaho in for a pre-draft visit.

Prophet Guest

NFL | 11 teams attend J. Lewis workout
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:25:55 -0700

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports seven teams were expected at the workout of George Mason basketball player Jai Lewis, but 11 teams showed up. Lewis looked more like an offensive tackle than a tight end at his workout. He measured in at 6-5 ½ and 292 pounds. He ran his 40s in 4.99 and 5.03.

Bengals | Team takes J. Lewis back to Cincinnati
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:18:43 -0700

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Cincinnati Bengals were at the workout of George Mason basketball player Jai Lewis Thursday, April 20. They liked him so much they flew him back to Cincinnati for further workouts. Lewis looked more like an offensive tackle than a tight end at his workout. He measured in at 6-5 ½ and 292 pounds. He ran his 40s in 4.99 and 5.03.

Lions | Team could trade down
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:11:10 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Detroit Lions could trade down in the first round of the NFL Draft. Team president Matt Millen has wanted to trade down for years and acquire an extra pick or two. Texas DB Michael Huff is expected to be the first defensive back taken, but if Millen is willing to trade down, it's not out of the question to still get Huff a few spots lower. The Eagles could make a move up from the No. 14 spot to make sure they get USC OT Winston Justice.

Packers | Team not likely to draft quarterback in Round 1
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:10:41 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Green Bay Packers are not likely to draft a quarterback in the first round of the NFL Draft. Drafting a quarterback with the fifth pick in the draft could cost the Packers two quarterbacks, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Favre would not want to return to mentor two young quarterbacks and drafting a quarterback in the first round would be an indication that management doesn't believe in Rodgers and it would be hard for him to win over the locker room with another first-round quarterback around.

Bears | Cooling down on signing Manning Jr. to an offer sheet
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:59:03 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Chicago Bears seemed to have cooled on the idea of signing restricted free agent CB Ricky Manning Jr. (Panthers) to an offer sheet. The biggest reason seems to be the depth available at cornerback in the NFL Draft. Also, Manning probably would only be a third corner on the Bears, so the Panthers would probably match any contract that wasn't for starters' money.

Cowboys | Jones evasive on quarterback talk
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:57:10 -0700

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports although Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said the Cowboys could be looking into the future at just about every position, he was somewhat evasive when it came to possibly taking a quarterback this year. "I think with Bledsoe at the juncture he is in his career, we would be looking at what we're going to be doing in the future at some point, not this year," Jones said. "I don't want to imply not next year or even maybe the next year. But this would be the time to looking into the future and we may have it right here." Jones said the Cowboys' future quarterback could already be "in-house," referring directly to QBs Tony Romo and Drew Henson, who has been playing well in NFL Europe this summer.

Cowboys | Jones comments on the NFL Draft
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:52:57 -0700

Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones did not rule out the possibility of the Cowboys moving out of the 18th pick in the NFL Draft. When asked if there was a better chance of moving down in the first round than up, Jones said, "That's fair. It's so expensive to go up." Trading down would allow the Cowboys to pick up an extra draft choice or choices, and possibly give them a chance to recoup the fourth-round pick they already spent last year in their effort to trade up.

Bears | Team calls LaCasse
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:51:02 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports Syracuse DE Ryan LaCasse told him the Chicago Bears called him to ask him some questions. LaCasse has no plans to visit the Bears.

Colts | LaCasse visit goes well
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:50:37 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports Syracuse DE Ryan LaCasse told him his visit to the Indianapolis Colts went well. He was checked out by the team's medical staff. LaCasse said the Colts only want him to play defensive end, not linebacker, if they draft him. LaCasse said he is now done with his visits, but he expects teams may call him with questions.

Falcons | Team has pre-draft visit with D. Manning
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:21:35 -0700

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports the Atlanta Falcons conducted a pre-draft visit with Abilene Christian CB/special teams standout Danieal Manning Thursday, April 20. Manning can play safety or cornerback and has a highly regarded reputation as a kick returner and a kick blocker.

Giants | Accorsi says team more likely to add veteran QB than rookie
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:08:42 -0700

New York Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi said the team was more likely to add a veteran quarterback to their roster than a rookie quarterback in the NFL Draft. "It is possible we could pick somebody. It depends. Basically it is a luxury pick. If there is somebody there that you think has a chance to make your team, you are just going to always be tempted not to take the quarterback. But if you really have a feeling about a young quarterback, I have always been one, I have never picked them as much as I really wanted to because a lot of times you get a lot of resistance to that. It could happen," said Accorsi.

Dolphins | Saban has been busy evaluating players
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:02:52 -0700

Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban said during his pre-draft press conference he has looked at film of many NFL Draft prospects. "The number of guys would probably be at least 200, maybe approaching 300. What I try to do is guys who have been ranked a certain level and above I try to look at all of those guys. That's initially how I try to go about it. I do it by position. I have a laptop, which our video people here do a phenomenal job of putting things together on that, keeping it current, keeping it updated and adding workouts. If Florida State had a workout last week that ends up on there. I can pull it up and look at it and watch those particular players, even though they may not have been on there two weeks ago when I looked at those particular players at that time. Then, as we go through a particular position, we get all the input and information on guys if we have discrepancies. Maybe the scouts have a guy rated a little higher or lower and the coaches have a guy rated a little different higher or lower, or maybe one scout thinks one thing and somebody else thinks something else," said Saban.

Prophet Guest

Broncos | Team conducted pre-draft visit with J. BloomThu, 20 Apr 2006 21:32:11 -0700

Mike Prisuta, of the Tribune-Review, reports the Denver Broncos previously conducted a pre-draft visit with Colorado WR/KR Jeremy Bloom.

Bears | Team conducted pre-draft visit with J. Bloom
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:31:38 -0700

Mike Prisuta, of the Tribune-Review, reports the Chicago Bears previously conducted a pre-draft visit with Colorado WR/KR Jeremy Bloom.

Saints | Team conducted pre-draft visit with J. Bloom
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:30:46 -0700

Mike Prisuta, of the Tribune-Review, reports the New Orleans Saints previously conducted a pre-draft visit with Colorado WR/KR Jeremy Bloom.

Browns | Team conducted pre-draft visit with J. Bloom
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:30:16 -0700

Mike Prisuta, of the Tribune-Review, reports the Cleveland Browns previously conducted a pre-draft visit with Colorado WR/KR Jeremy Bloom.

Eagles | Team conducted pre-draft visit with J. Bloom
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:29:24 -0700

Mike Prisuta, of the Tribune-Review, reports the Philadelphia Eagles previously conducted a pre-draft visit with Colorado WR/KR Jeremy Bloom.

Steelers | Team conducts pre-draft visit with J. Bloom
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:28:59 -0700

Mike Prisuta, of the Tribune-Review, reports the Pittsburgh Steelers conducted a pre-draft visit with Colorado WR/KR Jeremy Bloom Thursday, April 20. "It was a really exciting and humbling experience, very cool," Bloom said just before boarding a plane late Thursday afternoon. "We didn't get into too much detail (about a potential role with the Steelers). We just got to know each other a little bit. I met with the wide receivers coach (Bruce Arians), the special teams coach (Kevin Spencer), the offensive coordinator (Ken Whisenhunt) and head coach (Bill) Cowher. "I've been a big fan of coach Cowher's for a long time. That was a really neat experience."

NFL | More about J. Lewis workout
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:00:13 -0700

The Washington Post reports George Mason basketball player Jai Lewis finished his 20-yard shuttle drill in approximately 4.6 seconds during his workout for NFL scouts Thursday, April 20. Lewis was tested in the vertical jump, reaching about 28 inches, and in the standing broad jump, traveling about 8 feet 8 inches. He has not yet started weight training and did not do the bench press, a standard pre-draft exercise. Speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of player assessments, several scouts said Lewis has ample room for improvement and will need to convince NFL teams that he hungers for the aggression and violence of professional football. Still, they said his athleticism and explosiveness were impressive, particularly after he left the track surface for the football turf. Lewis went through drills for defensive ends, tight ends and offensive linemen, but scouts said his attributes and 6-foot-5, 292-pound frame likely were best suited for the offensive line.

Patriots | Team worked out N. Turnbull
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:58:56 -0700

The Miami Herald reports Florida International S Nick Turnbull has worked out for the New England Patriots.

Eagles | Team worked out N. Turnbull
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:58:22 -0700

The Miami Herald reports Florida International S Nick Turnbull has worked out for the Philadelphia Eagles.

Jaguars | Team worked out N. Turnbull
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:57:54 -0700

The Miami Herald reports Florida International S Nick Turnbull has worked out for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Bengals | Team worked out N. Turnbull
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:55:36 -0700

The Miami Herald reports Florida International S Nick Turnbull has worked out for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Dolphins | Team worked out C. McKinney
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:54:47 -0700

The Miami Herald reports Florida International WR Cory McKinney worked out for the Miami Dolphins.

Browns | Team contacted McKinney
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:51:48 -0700

The Miami Herald reports Florida International WR Cory McKinney has most frequently been contacted by the Cleveland Browns after running the 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds last month.

Buccaneers | Team conducted pre-draft visit with Cernius
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:50:47 -0700

The Miami Herald reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers conducted a pre-draft visit with Florida International OC Victor Cernius Wednesday, April 19.

Buccaneers | Team conducted pre-draft visit with Gorman
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:50:26 -0700

The Miami Herald reports the Tampa Bay Buccaneers conducted a pre-draft visit with Florida International FB Adam Gorman Wednesday, April 19.

Texans | R. Bush still expects to be No. 1 NFL Draft pick
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:02:08 -0700

Todd Harmonson, of the Orange County Register, reports USC RB Reggie Bush said he still expects to be the top overall selection in next week's NFL Draft. However, he confirmed widespread reports that the Houston Texans have not opened contract negotiations with him. "There are some people saying it's because I'm demanding $30 million (for a signing bonus), but that's not true," Bush said in a telephone interview. "We haven't talked numbers with them at all. Right now it's kind of on them to start negotiations if they want to." Bush said he only has met with officials from Houston and the New York Jets.

Patriots | Team had private workout with A. Hodge
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:00:48 -0700

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports the New England Patriots sent defensive coordinator Dean Pees and regional scout Bob Quinn for a private workout with Iowa LB Abdul Hodge on the team's Iowa City campus Monday, March 20.

Patriots | Team had private workout with J. Allen
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:54:02 -0700

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports New England Patriots director of pro personnel Nick Cesario held a private workout Monday, March 20, with Tennessee DB Jason Allen on the team's Knoxville campus.

Ravens | Team would like to acquire more picks
    Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:48:07 -0700

Jamison Hensley, of the Baltimore Sun, reports the Balitmore Ravens are clearly prepared to move down from the 13th spot in the first round of the NFL Draft to acquire more picks. Director of college scouting Eric DeCosta did little to hide his displeasure over the Ravens having two picks on the first day of a deep draft. "I wish I had six," he said. If the Ravens drop from the 13th pick to somewhere in the low 20s, they probably would receive an additional third-round pick. General manager Ozzie Newsome even said the Ravens could be enticed to give up the No. 13 pick before they are on the clock. According to a league source, the Ravens' two most coveted players are Texas DB Michael Huff and Texas QB Vince Young, but neither is expected to slip past the top 10. Unlike any other draft, this one will be unusual for the Ravens because they must pick immediately after the Cleveland Browns and their general manager Phil Savage, who ran the Ravens' college scouting department for nine years. "I would love nothing better than to jump up over (Savage) and pick his pocket," DeCosta said.