Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

NFL Draft 2011: Vikings to Add QBs Ryan Mallett or

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/658618-nfl-draft-2011-vikings-to-add-qbs-ryan-mallett-or-andy-dalton-in-early-rounds

This year, Leslie Frazier and company invited only two of the quarterbacks they scouted over the month of March: Andy Dalton of TCU and Ryan Mallett of Arkansas.

I will add the following comment. After looking through the youtube videos of Dalton and also Locker, who is another prospect whose name comes up frequently I have a question- Are they looking for a QB or a RB? Because to me both of those QB's looked to be doing as much if not more running than passing and really, with AP and Harvin I see no need to look for anyone else to be running with the ball.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re: NFL Draft 2011: Vikings to Add QBs Ryan Mallett or

I think if we believe mallett is our guy then we just take him at 12. Don't risk missing out on the guy who we believe is the future of our franchise.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093229
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/658618-nfl-draft-2011-vikings-to-add-qbs-ryan-mallett-or-andy-dalton-in-early-rounds

This year, Leslie Frazier and company invited only two of the quarterbacks they scouted over the month of March: Andy Dalton of TCU and Ryan Mallett of Arkansas.

I will add the following comment. After looking through the youtube videos of Dalton and also Locker, who is another prospect whose name comes up frequently I have a question- Are they looking for a QB or a RB? Because to me both of those QB's looked to be doing as much if not more running than passing and really, with AP and Harvin I see no need to look for anyone else to be running with the ball.
    Thanks for the read my friend.

Someone started a thread called "Joe Webb is Better than Cam Newton". It was a pretty good thread that died to young. Anyway, I think my comments in that thread apply to this post......

For the Vikes, I've been harping alot, especially last year, how this offense seems to work best when the QB can move around. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a guy who will give you one look and run but rather a guy who can throw on the move.........Case in point, the best we saw the time we saw the offense most effective was in 2009. The Noodles legs worked. He did alot of nice stuff off the play action followed by a naked rollout to hit a reciever coming across the grain.

TJ wasn't a pure runner, but he was mobile. Had a cannon for a arm.

Thigpen. Another guy who excells when he is on the move. Not your traditional pocket passer. Most scouting reports said he played faster than he ran. Again, aluding to his mobility more than his passing skills.

JDB wasn't very mobile. More of a pocket passer with a weak arm. Didn't stick.

Webb, probably more of a runner than a thrower but he has a big arm and make some throws while on the move.

The next point of discussion that will arise, is the potential for a scheme change so you can then, if you want, take a look a the QB's that were selected when Musgrove was either a Coordinator or the QB coach.

Panthers 99(QB coach)00 (OCord) No QB taken
    Jax 03 (Coord) Leftwich - Big Arm/Slow delivery/mobile QB
    Jax 04 (QB Coach)
    Deadskins 05 (QB Coach) Jason Campbell - Big Arm/Mobile QB.
    Falcons 06-09 (QB Coach) 06 DJ Shockley - Mobile QB. Nice Arm.
    08 Matt Ryan - Not a very fast QB but moves in and around the pocket nicely.

Having said all of that, I have 3 guys that seem to fit what the Vikes (in the past 4 years or so) (Gabbert/Newton/Locker) and Musgrove has looked at over his tenure that could be taken at 12 and (Ponder, Dalton, Stanzi, and Kaepernick) that could be taken at 43 if they are still there. All seem to move around nicely and seem to be pretty accurate throwers when on the move even though they can't be considered pure pocket passers. Again, I don't think the Vikes are looking for a cat like that.
    Joe Webb Thread

In short, if you take into account what Musgrove has done before he got here, what the staff has looked at over the Chiller tenure, I don't think they are looking for a RB, but rather a kid who can not only move around in the pocket, but get out on the outside and stretch a defense laterally.

The day and age of a QB standing in the pocket are long gone. Defenses are getting just to creative at putting pressure on guys like that. Mallet, IMHO, is one of those cats.

His lack of athleticism, will, IMHO, make him slide to the point that he will be one of the last QB's taken of the 10 most discussed this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093229

well based on past pre-draft performances and smokescreens then I'd say we won't be drafting Dalton or Mallet. So does that mean we're going to be looking for a Michael Vick type QB ( minus the dogs and jailtime ), if so who fits that mould who may be that at #12 or who could be on the board come the second round.
    My only gripe with that style of QB is that you're then inviting the D to get a few extra licks on him during a game and have a better chance of taking him out - Culpepper anyone?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1093267
    well based on past pre-draft performances and smokescreens then I'd say we won't be drafting Dalton or Mallet. So does that mean we're going to be looking for a Michael Vick type QB ( minus the dogs and jailtime ), if so who fits that mould who may be that at #12 or who could be on the board come the second round.
    I wouldn't say a Mike Vick (pre-Iggles) but rather someone who can get around a bit more than a guy like Mallet can.

Here is the list of QB's Musgrove has had under his tutelage. Leftwich I kindof liken to Mallet more than I do a Vick kindof kid. Big slow windup/slow release.
    Panthers 99(QB coach)00 (OCord) No QB taken
    Jax 03 (Coord) Leftwich - Big Arm/Slow delivery/mobile QB
    Jax 04 (QB Coach)
    Deadskins 05 (QB Coach) Jason Campbell - Big Arm/Mobile QB.
    Falcons 06-09 (QB Coach) 06 DJ Shockley - Mobile QB. Nice Arm.
    08 Matt Ryan - Not a very fast QB but moves in and around the pocket nicely.

My only gripe with that style of QB is that you're then inviting the D to get a few extra licks on him during a game and have a better chance of taking him out - Culpepper anyone?
    I guess its how you look at it.

2009 - Noodles ankle was fine. Worked the playaction, bootleg to perfection several times a game. Didn't take near as many hits as he did in 2010. Offense clicked.

Only issue we saw was during the NFC Championship game when he tried to stay in the pocket. Mugging at the line and flooded gaps resulted in the Noodle almost getting killed.

2010 - Ankle was still messed up from the approach the Ain'ts took when they saw the Noodle standing in the pocket. Lack of mobility almost got the old man killed.

In short, QB's that stand in the pocket these days are going to get killed and it doesn't matter what your OL looks like. Defenses are getting that good.

Teams that keep their QB's upright will be teams that can move the QB around, making it hard for the D's to T off on where he is each and every play.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

and there's you using logic and reason.. curse you Marr :P
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1093305
    and there's you using logic and reason.. curse you Marr :P
    I try real hard this time of year to use "GM Logic" and not the "What Would Marrdro Do" approach.

I've done alot of research into Musgrove and if he has a say in it, it won't be Mallet if one of the more mobile guys are there.

If it is Mallet, its because the guys they really wanted are gone and Mallet is the next best thing.

Again, as I told our good friend Bleed. I'm not saying Mallet is a piece of crap, I just don't think that he is the best option for what I believe the staff is trying to do at the QB position.

The rationale behind that analysis is mostly based on what Musgrove has had under him in the past.

None of those cats run as slow as ole Mallet head my friend. He runs so slow our good friend Bleed thinks he wasn't trying very hard when he ran his last 40.