Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re:NFC North rookie camp roundup

Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Overlord wrote:
    If I were going to compare Webb to an NFL receiver based on size, speed, stength, etc., I would compare him to Andre Johnson of the Texans. Both are about 6'3", 225 pounds, run 4.4 40's, and have verticals of about 41".

Guys like Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, and Donald Driver are significantly smaller than Webb (2-6" shorter and about 20-40 pounds lighter depending on who is measuring). Not big guys, but they play tough.

I think it's too early to try and assign that playing style to Webb. Plenty of big guys can't play tough or make catches in traffic. Some guys can't even make catches in space.

We'll see what Webb can do when he's actually on the field across from NFL defensive backs. I'm optimistic he'll make the team, since I think he's basically competing with Greg Lewis and Jaymar Johnson. That duo combined for a not so intimidating 24 receptions last year.
    I like what I see so far...at least about the playing tough (thats what we are talking about)...

Notes from the Senior Bowl Practice...

Webb is extremely raw.... but he was extremely physical. Not only did Webb show the ability to get off the line and beat the jam against guys like Taylor Mays and Nate Allen but he did it in a violent fashion. On one rep he simply threw Javier Arenas to the ground and on another he delivered a bona fide headslap to Taylor Mays.

As for who he plays like as a pass catcher, we will probably have to wait a year or two before we find that out, but, I like his chances to get on the field based on his other attributes.
    Can you see that kindof physicality transitioning into run blocking as well?

I can and can't wait to see him in action this season.
    A big receiver on the edge...AD loves to bounce it outside...an interesting combination.

It will be nice to have some beef on the edge controlling CBs. He will outweigh most CBs by 30 lbs. Add that to a willingness to be physical and we may just have something.

I just hope he has the dedication needed to make a smooth transition and works on the WR fundamentals enough to prove himself next year on the field.
    Not just on the outside edge, you put him in motion and let him have a crack at a Will or Sam LB'r and I bet he seals the inside edge nicely.
    You guys have built up Webb nicely, hopefully we'll get to see something out of this guy.

I do like the headslap, a little nasty from the prima donna position is always good.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

tastywaves wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Overlord wrote:
    If I were going to compare Webb to an NFL receiver based on size, speed, stength, etc., I would compare him to Andre Johnson of the Texans. Both are about 6'3", 225 pounds, run 4.4 40's, and have verticals of about 41".

Guys like Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, and Donald Driver are significantly smaller than Webb (2-6" shorter and about 20-40 pounds lighter depending on who is measuring). Not big guys, but they play tough.

I think it's too early to try and assign that playing style to Webb. Plenty of big guys can't play tough or make catches in traffic. Some guys can't even make catches in space.

We'll see what Webb can do when he's actually on the field across from NFL defensive backs. I'm optimistic he'll make the team, since I think he's basically competing with Greg Lewis and Jaymar Johnson. That duo combined for a not so intimidating 24 receptions last year.
    I like what I see so far...at least about the playing tough (thats what we are talking about)...

Notes from the Senior Bowl Practice...

Webb is extremely raw.... but he was extremely physical. Not only did Webb show the ability to get off the line and beat the jam against guys like Taylor Mays and Nate Allen but he did it in a violent fashion. On one rep he simply threw Javier Arenas to the ground and on another he delivered a bona fide headslap to Taylor Mays.

As for who he plays like as a pass catcher, we will probably have to wait a year or two before we find that out, but, I like his chances to get on the field based on his other attributes.
    Can you see that kindof physicality transitioning into run blocking as well?

I can and can't wait to see him in action this season.
    A big receiver on the edge...AD loves to bounce it outside...an interesting combination.

It will be nice to have some beef on the edge controlling CBs. He will outweigh most CBs by 30 lbs. Add that to a willingness to be physical and we may just have something.

I just hope he has the dedication needed to make a smooth transition and works on the WR fundamentals enough to prove himself next year on the field.
    Not just on the outside edge, you put him in motion and let him have a crack at a Will or Sam LB'r and I bet he seals the inside edge nicely.
    You guys have built up Webb nicely, hopefully we'll get to see something out of this guy.

I do like the headslap, a little nasty from the prima donna position is always good.
    I build em all up this time of year, however, I also harp on one little point along with that hyping.....

They are rooks and rooks will make mistakes.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Purple Floyd wrote:
    Webb has practically no experience running routes or catching the ball in a game type situation let alone all the other stuff that comes with learning the position. I don't see him making the final roster cut but maybe the practice squad for a year to see if he can grasp some of the responsibilities. It is a huge longshot to think he would see the field during any games this year unless he does a hell of a job on ST.
    What, no purple cape?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123