Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

NFC North rookie camp roundup

NFC North rookie camp roundup
    Just talks about Bores, PUKERs and Kitties.

Vikes comments are in the next url/article.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:NFC North rookie camp roundup

Joe Webb is one big dude. The Vikings drafted Webb in the sixth round, hoping to convert him from quarterback to receiver. He was listed at 6-2 or 6-3 in many pre-draft analyses, but the Vikings have him at 6-foot-4 and he is every bit of it. I have no idea if he can play receiver in the NFL, but he sure looks the part.
    Spoke briefly with tailback Toby Gerhart, whom the Vikings hope will fill the Chester Taylor role as a backup/third-down back. Gerhart seemed fully aware that his ability to pick up blitzes will play the biggest role in whether he wins that job. "You have to understand your scheme, who you have, who the line is blocking and who you are responsible for," Gerhart said. "Once you get the hang of that, it's picking up tendencies. There are a lot of subtleties you can see on film from safety rotations to alignment tendencies. Then you got to have to have the will and stick your head in there and protect the quarterback
    Childress: Favre can skip camp

Just skip over the Noodle crap. Go comment on that in the thread were everyone freaked out and were ready to start jumping from bridges.

Loved what I read so far on Webb. Who was trying to convince me that he will make it on the 53 man roster. Whoever you were, I'm finally convinced.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    Joe Webb is one big dude. The Vikings drafted Webb in the sixth round, hoping to convert him from quarterback to receiver. He was listed at 6-2 or 6-3 in many pre-draft analyses, but the Vikings have him at 6-foot-4 and he is every bit of it. I have no idea if he can play receiver in the NFL, but he sure looks the part.
    Spoke briefly with tailback Toby Gerhart, whom the Vikings hope will fill the Chester Taylor role as a backup/third-down back. Gerhart seemed fully aware that his ability to pick up blitzes will play the biggest role in whether he wins that job. "You have to understand your scheme, who you have, who the line is blocking and who you are responsible for," Gerhart said. "Once you get the hang of that, it's picking up tendencies. There are a lot of subtleties you can see on film from safety rotations to alignment tendencies. Then you got to have to have the will and stick your head in there and protect the quarterback

Just skip over the Noodle crap. Go comment on that in the thread were everyone freaked out and were ready to start jumping from bridges.

Loved what I read so far on Webb. Who was trying to convince me that he will make it on the 53 man roster. Whoever you were, I'm finally convinced.
    I'm convinced we'll here alot of hype about this Webb(y) guy from now on and at least all through training camp.

And every time I hear him mentioned in the same sentence as Cribbs, my nausea level will increase, right until he actually / potentially shows something on the field.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Marrdro wrote:

I will take partial credit on Webb, he is going to be a beast WR off the line and a heck of a blocker in the running game, think Ward of Pittsburgh, but think bigger, stronger, faster,as a physical WR he is something JJ and GL will never be. We will see a pretty limited route tree out of him for the first year, but, as a 4th or 5th WR, he doesn't need to do much.
    None

bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

I will take partial credit on Webb, he is going to be a beast WR off the line and a heck of a blocker in the running game, think Ward of Pittsburgh, but think bigger, stronger, faster,as a physical WR he is something JJ and GL will never be. We will see a pretty limited route tree out of him for the first year, but, as a 4th or 5th WR, he doesn't need to do much.
    Wow. That's quite a goal. Being physical is one thing, catching the ball in traffic and holding it when getting hit by a LB who's a few pounds heavier than you is another. WRs like Ward and Driver don't grow on trees. I'll believe that Webb is all that when I see it.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

The Vikings don't make this post because they closed all but about 30 minutes of their camp. While they did institute the first pool report in modern-day rookie minicamp history for Friday's practice, the efforts of said pool reporter were hampered by the limited roster he was provided. The Vikings wouldn't identify the nearly 30 players who participated on a tryout basis. This isn't punishment. It's just an acknowledgement of too little information to write anything useful.
    Rounding up (some) rookie minicamps
    Bastardo's.......

UNDRAFTEDS ANONYMOUS
    Perrilloux is one of more than 30 free agents participating in camp on a tryout basis.

Many of their identities have been revealed through media reports and others, such as former Gophers and Kansas City Chiefs receiver Logan Payne, were recognizable. But the Vikings didn't release a complete list.

"It's going to be a limited number of guys that we can select out of the 55 that are here, but it gives you a mind's-eye picture of these guys," Childress said. "Quite honestly, other people will have camps and see who we invited to camp, and I wouldn't be surprised to see guys travel on and go to another weekend minicamp somewhere along the line, because (another team) saw that they were here. They can flash and make something happen and you say, ‘Geez, what a playmaker.'"

After the unannounced signing of former Northern Illinois center Eddie Amanski, the Vikings entered camp with 73 players on contract, not including end Ray Edwards (unsigned restricted tender) and eight draft picks. The offseason limit is 80.
    Rookie Camp Notes: Free agent QB Ryan Perrilloux shows of strong arm

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Rockmolder wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Wow. That's quite a goal. Being physical is one thing, catching the ball in traffic and holding it when getting hit by a LB who's a few pounds heavier than you is another. WRs like Ward and Driver don't grow on trees. I'll believe that Webb is all that when I see it.
    Who said anything about Driver?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marko Mitchell signs with Detroit Lions

Marrdro's comments follow:
    Seems they only got him because when the Vikes tried to claim him off waivers as well, the Lions beat us out because of our record from last year was better than thiers.

Vikings try to nab former Redskins receiver

Makes one wonder why they are working so hard to upgrade the WR position. Maybe one of our starters is not gonna be a starter anymore...... :huh:

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Rockmolder wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:

Who said anything about Driver?
    We're talking about that mold, right? Okay, take away Driver. Hines Ward and Derrick Mason.

Hard working guys who go over the middle, make the catch in traffic, get hit hard by LBs that have 40 lbs on them. And Ward's versatile, as well. He's not just running slants and unders, he goes deep, as well. And gets open.

To declare Webb a bigger, stronger and faster Ward is quite a prediction.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast