Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ragz is offline GM

Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Personally I prefer Devin Thomas from Michigan State for one big reason...his size.
    Jackson is hovering around 170 and is under 6 feet tall.
    I'm not saying he can't succeed at that size, but the odds of him getting hurt going across the middle are pretty good.
    Thomas is 6'2" over 200 lbs and can do all the things Jackson does, i.e. return kicks, RAC, and present a huge downfield threat.
    We could probably trade down to get this guy too, but he has been getting a lot of attention since he blew up the Combine, so he might go earlier than his previous projections.
    I think his risk of injury will be decreased because his size won't allow him to get off the line.

;D

JK, his size is an issue for me.
    And for all of you out there that are gonna run up the small WR's that have succeeded in the NFL of late, make sure you add what round they were drafted in and how many games they miss a year.

If this guy were available in say like the 3rd round, I would jump at him, but because of his size (again) I would have to pass in the first round NO MATTER HOW TALENTED you say he is.
    I understand your point of contention in regards to size.. and i do think jackson would be a good addition to play in the slot, but i also think rice and berrian could play the slot and we pick up a devon thomas, Limas Sweed, the hardy guy, or some of the other big receivers in the draft, Me as you all know really likes Sweed.. but also.. consider, Manningham and Doucet in the second round.. those are both options... IMO...

but as for small receivers.. according to ESPN profiles +/- an inch or two bc they aren't always spot on....

1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 yrs

On the lists above these are arguably some of the best if not the best receivers in the game...

the list of 6foot receivers is even longer with the likes of
    torry holt, Reggie wayne, marvin harrison, Houshmenzada (6'1) Chad Johnson (6'1) to name a few...

Look here.. Desean Jackson is listed at 6'0 and 179lbs so he could put on more weight roughly 10-15 lbs.. so to say he's not durable or hes too small to draft that high is ridiculous... Yall should actually look into what the facts are before taking ppl's word for it... I wouldn't be upset with this pick at all.... And he has only the greatest receiver of ALL TIME... JERRY RICE tutoring and mentoring him.... what's not to like about this guy.... that's even more reason to take him at #17..

settle down pal, all those listed don't even come close to weighing 169, which is what he weighed at the combine.
    and putting on 10-15 lbs is not so easy for a wr who depends on his speed and quickness.
    i don't think there is anything wrong with questioning his value due to his size.
    it could be the determining factor of successful he is in the nfl.
    qbs drop due to their height, defensive ends due to their weight, every position, so why would this guy be immuned.
    the point is, it has to be considered and considered strongly.
    all desean jackson has to do is hit the weight room over the summer and he can easily put on 10 lbs of muscle, remember im not saying we are going to take him. but if merling/harvey are off the board its a great pick and it also fits the whole "BPA" idea that the vikings are supposivly going with
    of course, his ablity is exciting.
    but you can't just dismiss his size as in no way a concern.
    and just like any kinda weight gain, adding muscle could effect his fluidity running, which effects his speed possibly, coming in and out of cuts, ect, ect...
    i'm just saying it's not like he can just blink his eyes and be bigger and have the same ability, there's a risk in that also.
    it's possible of course, but it also could hurt him.

maybe in college they didn't push weight gain cuz he had some success, but i dont think he can cut it that small in the nfl.
    and lets not forget, last season he didn't exactly light it up recieving wise.
    where he goes kinda interest me in this draft.
    his combine numbers are awesome, so i wonder how much that size effects his status.
    i dont know??????
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Martellus Bennett: Top Tight End in the NFL Draft
    by Michael Abromowitz
    NFL Draft Director
    3/12/08

Of all the football positions the one I scrutinize and study the most is the tight end.
    It is my favorite position, and the one I have the strongest knowledge of.
    I have stated that a tight end is the key to opening your offense and is the best weapon/safety net for any quarterback.
    Terrell Owens does not have the success last season that he did

http://thefootballexpert.com/martellusbennetoptightend080001.html

Here is some pretty solid perspective...not to beat a dead horse, but, I completely agree with the point of view and would definitely be happy with an upgrade at the position with the right TE.
    There was some interesting information posted in a different thread covering how many times Shiancoe was targeted; confirming the importance of the position in the passing offense.

First things first, DE, then anything is possible, including TE.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"ragz" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Personally I prefer Devin Thomas from Michigan State for one big reason...his size.
    Jackson is hovering around 170 and is under 6 feet tall.
    I'm not saying he can't succeed at that size, but the odds of him getting hurt going across the middle are pretty good.
    Thomas is 6'2" over 200 lbs and can do all the things Jackson does, i.e. return kicks, RAC, and present a huge downfield threat.
    We could probably trade down to get this guy too, but he has been getting a lot of attention since he blew up the Combine, so he might go earlier than his previous projections.
    I think his risk of injury will be decreased because his size won't allow him to get off the line.
    ;D

JK, his size is an issue for me.
    And for all of you out there that are gonna run up the small WR's that have succeeded in the NFL of late, make sure you add what round they were drafted in and how many games they miss a year.

If this guy were available in say like the 3rd round, I would jump at him, but because of his size (again) I would have to pass in the first round NO MATTER HOW TALENTED you say he is.
    I understand your point of contention in regards to size.. and i do think jackson would be a good addition to play in the slot, but i also think rice and berrian could play the slot and we pick up a devon thomas, Limas Sweed, the hardy guy, or some of the other big receivers in the draft, Me as you all know really likes Sweed.. but also.. consider, Manningham and Doucet in the second round.. those are both options... IMO...

but as for small receivers.. according to ESPN profiles +/- an inch or two bc they aren't always spot on....

1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 yrs

On the lists above these are arguably some of the best if not the best receivers in the game...

the list of 6foot receivers is even longer with the likes of
    torry holt, Reggie wayne, marvin harrison, Houshmenzada (6'1) Chad Johnson (6'1) to name a few...

Look here.. Desean Jackson is listed at 6'0 and 179lbs so he could put on more weight roughly 10-15 lbs.. so to say he's not durable or hes too small to draft that high is ridiculous... Yall should actually look into what the facts are before taking ppl's word for it... I wouldn't be upset with this pick at all.... And he has only the greatest receiver of ALL TIME... JERRY RICE tutoring and mentoring him.... what's not to like about this guy.... that's even more reason to take him at #17..

settle down pal, all those listed don't even come close to weighing 169, which is what he weighed at the combine.
    and putting on 10-15 lbs is not so easy for a wr who depends on his speed and quickness.
    i don't think there is anything wrong with questioning his value due to his size.
    it could be the determining factor of successful he is in the nfl.
    qbs drop due to their height, defensive ends due to their weight, every position, so why would this guy be immuned.
    the point is, it has to be considered and considered strongly.
    settle down pal??? hey when you get a few more than what do you have right now 100 posts.. then come holla at me.. in the mean time getcha weight up rookie!!...

on to ur comment..

he's officially listed at 6'0 179 on ESPN.com.. so we'll stick with that instead of your "unofficial i heard he was 169lbs" combine numers...

Even if he did put on 10-15 lbs that doesn't mean he will loose his speed.. remember this is a young kid that has the ability to put weight on a wiry frame and perhaps even get faster.. like i said we're not talking about a OLB moving to DE where he has to put on 20 lbs on a 6'3 265lb body... that'll be a little different..

and i'm not questioning his size.. all i'm saying is, that he's just as big (with the ability to put on weight) as some of the other guys in the league and on my list.. so to say he can't do it or won't do it.. yadda yadda yadda... base that on more evidence than saying it's an issue when he's the same size as alot of the other guys on there..

it could be an issue, maybe not.. but we don't know bc he hasn't fully developed physically yet...

i'm not for taking him at 17.. if a DE is there then i'm all for it.. but in case he's not.. i can see the argument to take him as well as sweed and kelly at 17.. depends on what we're looking for and what the coaching staff/front office/scouts see's wants...

And a QB dropping due to his height is a helluva lot different than a guy dropping bc he's hasn't fully developed due to a wiry frame which can be added to versus a qb that can't grow any more... and a DE dropping because he's fat and lazy and has a poor work ethic with weight problems dropping is different than a wr dropping because his body doesn't have 10-15 more pounds on his body that will come naturally and with putting time in the weight room... so i have no idea what your talking about... get a better analogy!!! ;D

i'm not saying he's immune.. it could be a legit argument.. but i don't think it's a very good one.. to not select a top talent because he doesn't have 10lbs that he could pick up in 9 months or so...

i'd rather have sweed or a DE anyway

"MaxVike" wrote:
    by Michael Abromowitz
    NFL Draft Director
    3/12/08

Of all the football positions the one I scrutinize and study the most is the tight end.
    I have stated that a tight end is the key to opening your offense and is the best weapon/safety net for any quarterback.

Here is some pretty solid perspective...not to beat a dead horse, but, I completely agree with the point of view and would definitely be happy with an upgrade at the position with the right TE.
    There was some interesting information posted in a different thread covering how many times Shiancoe was targeted; confirming the importance of the position in the passing offense.

i wouldnt be opposed to that.. maybe even in lieu of an early round receiver

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "MaxVike" wrote:
    by Michael Abromowitz
    NFL Draft Director
    3/12/08

i wouldnt be opposed to that.. maybe even in lieu of an early round receiver
    I still think Fred Davis is a better TE... but I would be ok with this too in second or third round...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    settle down pal??? hey when you get a few more than what do you have right now 100 posts.. then come holla at me.. in the mean time getcha weight up rookie!!...
    Post count doesn't mean squat.
    Hell, I have a shitload of posts, but it doesn't mean that my opinion is better than anyone else's... It jsut means that I have more spare time... Besides, if I am not mistaken, ragz was a prior member under a different name (BBR?) who managed to get himself banned, and recently came back...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

theres no need to hostile people
    i know the draft can spark a lot of arguments, but no need to be all pissy

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    Hell, I have a shitload of posts, but it doesn't mean that my opinion is better than anyone else's... It jsut means that I have more spare time... Besides, if I am not mistaken, ragz was a prior member under a different name (BBR?) who managed to get himself banned, and recently came back...
    your right...! but to tell me to settle down when i'm making a valid argument irritated me and so it made it seem appropriate... but i'm glad your sticking up for him nodak...

and i wasn't being pissy... it's all good.. but don't attack me and not expect me to chop you down and address all your points.... it's all good!...
    ;D

just kinda ticked me off...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    Is that right?

Ragz, is that really you big guy?
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    Is that right?

Ragz, is that really you big guy?

;D
    No....it's BLV's "Friend".

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast