Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73
  1. #11
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    I wouldn't select D-Jax with our 17th pick, maybe if we had a later pick like 28th or something...
    I like D-Jax, but I think he's a bit of a gamble, so I'd rather go for something more safe.
    Pluss, I kinda understand that Chilly doesn't believe in drafting WRs in the first round unless it's obvious we should pick him.
    For example, look at Millen in Detroit. You can't say that drafting WRs in the first round was a huge success there.
    ;D

  2. #12
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,951

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    "mjuaire" wrote:
    I'm not sure what facts are being alluded to, but my point is I don't think he's worth the #17 pick.
    And, I previously mentioned a few of the WR's on the above list and stated that they were quality WR's... What I said, in reference to Jackson, was that he is more frail than those WR's are and he is more frail than they were coming out of college, not to mention that Jackson will PROBABLY not be as effective as any of them, at least right away.
    And, I feel his size will be a bit of a factor initially, therefore leading me to go elsewhere with the pick.


    Additionally, how many of those WR's listed were 1st round picks??

    I don't feel our greatest need is at WR, although I would like another one.
    I don't think Jackson will be the BPA at #17 either, so I wouldn't want him there.
    I'm not saying he can't be successful, but with WR's it takes a little bit to impact a game (outside of ST) so I think that his physical attributes leave a little to be desired and I think there are WR's that are better ready to help immediately.


    Having said all that, I agree with "bleedpurple" that adding one WR in the first 2 rounds would be advantageous.
    I just don't feel it would be jackson unless of course he slips to round 2, I think he would be a great value there.
    I like Devin Thomas a lot too as I'm mentioned, but we do need immediate help at DE and I just think that's where we gotta go. if one of our top 2 guys is on the board at that time.

    But this is all just my opinion, great thing about the draft is nobody REALLY knows until D-Day.
    I feel you.. but regardless of whether any of those guys were taken in the 1st round or not.. you can't argue on production and so therefore, if any team had a redo on the draft you can't tell me any of those guys based on who was drafted before them wouldn't be taken in the first round.. so to say they weren't taken in the first round is a moot point! Just take wes welker for instance.. he was undrafted but traded for a second rounder.. to say he wouldn't have been drafted in the first round on a do-over is ridiculous bc you know he would...

    and regardless of whether he can help us immediately or not is silly... Not many receivers make an immediate impact.. Calvin Johnson didn't even do that.. and he was supposed be the next MOSS... (although, he still could develop into that) the only ones recently to do that have been Moss, Bolden and Colston... if i recall.. may be a few others but not many...

    Reggie wayne didn't even make an immediate impact.. but do you think they'd take him in the first round?

    as long as he develops into an elite player then that's the whole point.. and i think he has a good chance of doing that...

    Hey I know DE is our main priority.. but if those guys we need aren't there then we should consider that.... I'm all for taking a Kelly or Sweed with our first pick, but if they aren't there and the top DE prospects aren't there then Jackson should be considered even if we trade down a few spots to get him...

    WR isn't our greatest need. but it sure as hell is one of our top 2 needs in my opinion... our defense was good enough to get us into the playoffs and even possibly win a superbowl but our offense wasn't necessarily good enough to get us over the hump... so to only add berrian and say we are set on offense is ridiculous!... he's not gonna get us over the hump significantly... not by himself when added to what we have in the passing game...




  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Personally I prefer Devin Thomas from Michigan State for one big reason...his size.
    Jackson is hovering around 170 and is under 6 feet tall.
    I'm not saying he can't succeed at that size, but the odds of him getting hurt going across the middle are pretty good.
    Thomas is 6'2" over 200 lbs and can do all the things Jackson does, i.e. return kicks, RAC, and present a huge downfield threat.
    We could probably trade down to get this guy too, but he has been getting a lot of attention since he blew up the Combine, so he might go earlier than his previous projections.
    I think his risk of injury will be decreased because his size won't allow him to get off the line.

    ;D

    JK, his size is an issue for me.
    And for all of you out there that are gonna run up the small WR's that have succeeded in the NFL of late, make sure you add what round they were drafted in and how many games they miss a year.

    If this guy were available in say like the 3rd round, I would jump at him, but because of his size (again) I would have to pass in the first round NO MATTER HOW TALENTED you say he is.
    I understand your point of contention in regards to size.. and i do think jackson would be a good addition to play in the slot, but i also think rice and berrian could play the slot and we pick up a devon thomas, Limas Sweed, the hardy guy, or some of the other big receivers in the draft, Me as you all know really likes Sweed.. but also.. consider, Manningham and Doucet in the second round.. those are both options... IMO...

    but as for small receivers.. according to ESPN profiles +/- an inch or two bc they aren't always spot on....

    1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 yrs


    On the lists above these are arguably some of the best if not the best receivers in the game...

    the list of 6foot receivers is even longer with the likes of
    torry holt, Reggie wayne, marvin harrison, Houshmenzada (6'1) Chad Johnson (6'1) to name a few...

    Look here.. Desean Jackson is listed at 6'0 and 179lbs so he could put on more weight roughly 10-15 lbs.. so to say he's not durable or hes too small to draft that high is ridiculous... Yall should actually look into what the facts are before taking ppl's word for it... I wouldn't be upset with this pick at all.... And he has only the greatest receiver of ALL TIME... JERRY RICE tutoring and mentoring him.... what's not to like about this guy.... that's even more reason to take him at #17..
    Well way to blow my theory about games missed out of the water.
    I used the NFL site (takes to long to load each one at work, but the numbers/games missed doesn't seem to quite jive.) ;D

    By the way, if he did add wieght do you think if he added more wieght it would slow his speed down a bit or break his knees down faster?


    1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 y

    Santana Moss
    Career Stats more

    Season Team
    Receiving Rushing Fumbles
    G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
    2007
    Washington Redskins
    14
    14
    61 808 13.2 49 3 3 13 4.3 11 0 2 2
    2006
    Washington Redskins
    14
    14
    55 790 14.4 68T 6 7 82 11.7 35 0 2 0
    2005
    Washington Redskins
    16
    16
    84 1,483 17.7 78T 9 3 -3 -1.0 3 0 3 1
    2004
    New York Jets





    15
    14
    45 838 18.6 69T 5 6 18 3.0 12 0 2 0
    2003
    New York Jets





    16
    12
    74 1,105 14.9 65T 10 10 67 6.7 25 0 4 2
    2002
    New York Jets





    15
    3
    30 433 14.4 47 4 7 48 6.9 14 0 2 0
    2001
    New York Jets






    5
    0
    2 40 20.0 33 0 1 -6 -6.0 -6 0 -- --





















    TOTAL 351 5,497 15.7 78 37 37 219 5.9 35 0 15 5

    Welker
    Receiving
    Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Long TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    2007 New England Patriots
    16 112 1,175 10.5 73.4 42 8 10 1 65 2
    2006 Miami Dolphins
    16 67 687 10.3 42.9 38 1 9 0 33 0
    2005 Miami Dolphins
    16 29 434 15.0 27.1 47 0 6 2 20 0
    2004 Miami Dolphins
    14 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --
    2004 San Diego Chargers
    1 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --


    Steve Smith
    Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Long TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    2007 Carolina Panthers
    15 87 1,002 11.5 66.8 74T 7 9 4 43 1
    2006 Carolina Panthers
    14 83 1,166 14.0 83.3 72T 8 17 4 51 0
    2005 Carolina Panthers
    16 103 1,563 15.2 97.7 80T 12 22 7 70 1
    2004 Carolina Panthers
    1 6 60 10.0 60.0 15 0 0 0 4 0
    2003 Carolina Panthers
    16 88 1,110 12.6 69.4 67T 7 16 4 48 2
    2002 Carolina Panthers
    15 54 872 16.1 58.1 69 3 18 4 33 1
    2001 Carolina Panthers
    15 10 154 15.4 10.3 33 0 2 0 8 0

    Deon Branch
    Receiving
    Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Long TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    2007 Seattle Seahawks
    11 49 661 13.5 60.1 65 4 10 2 30 0
    2006 Seattle Seahawks
    14 53 725 13.7 51.8 38T 4 8 0 40 0
    2005 New England Patriots
    16 78 998 12.8 62.4 51 5 13 1 51 0
    2004 New England Patriots
    9 35 454 13.0 50.4 26T 4 6 0 27 0
    2003 New England Patriots
    15 57 803 14.1 53.5 66T 3 9 2 40 0
    2002 New England Patriots
    13 43 489 11.4 37.6 49T 2 6 2 22 0

    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,951

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    "HEY" wrote:
    I wouldn't select D-Jax with our 17th pick, maybe if we had a later pick like 28th or something...
    I like D-Jax, but I think he's a bit of a gamble, so I'd rather go for something more safe.
    Pluss, I kinda understand that Chilly doesn't believe in drafting WRs in the first round unless it's obvious we should pick him.
    For example, look at Millen in Detroit. You can't say that drafting WRs in the first round was a huge success there.
    ;D
    the problem with detroit is that their organization sucks... you take those same 1st round receivers and put them on the patriots and they win the superbowl almost every year... so it has alittle more to do than just picking a guy.. the organization has to be there as well....

  5. #15
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,951

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Personally I prefer Devin Thomas from Michigan State for one big reason...his size.
    Jackson is hovering around 170 and is under 6 feet tall.
    I'm not saying he can't succeed at that size, but the odds of him getting hurt going across the middle are pretty good.
    Thomas is 6'2" over 200 lbs and can do all the things Jackson does, i.e. return kicks, RAC, and present a huge downfield threat.
    We could probably trade down to get this guy too, but he has been getting a lot of attention since he blew up the Combine, so he might go earlier than his previous projections.
    I think his risk of injury will be decreased because his size won't allow him to get off the line.
    ;D

    JK, his size is an issue for me.
    And for all of you out there that are gonna run up the small WR's that have succeeded in the NFL of late, make sure you add what round they were drafted in and how many games they miss a year.

    If this guy were available in say like the 3rd round, I would jump at him, but because of his size (again) I would have to pass in the first round NO MATTER HOW TALENTED you say he is.
    I understand your point of contention in regards to size.. and i do think jackson would be a good addition to play in the slot, but i also think rice and berrian could play the slot and we pick up a devon thomas, Limas Sweed, the hardy guy, or some of the other big receivers in the draft, Me as you all know really likes Sweed.. but also.. consider, Manningham and Doucet in the second round.. those are both options... IMO...

    but as for small receivers.. according to ESPN profiles +/- an inch or two bc they aren't always spot on....

    1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 yrs


    On the lists above these are arguably some of the best if not the best receivers in the game...

    the list of 6foot receivers is even longer with the likes of
    torry holt, Reggie wayne, marvin harrison, Houshmenzada (6'1) Chad Johnson (6'1) to name a few...

    Look here.. Desean Jackson is listed at 6'0 and 179lbs so he could put on more weight roughly 10-15 lbs.. so to say he's not durable or hes too small to draft that high is ridiculous... Yall should actually look into what the facts are before taking ppl's word for it... I wouldn't be upset with this pick at all.... And he has only the greatest receiver of ALL TIME... JERRY RICE tutoring and mentoring him.... what's not to like about this guy.... that's even more reason to take him at #17..
    Well way to blow my theory about games missed out of the water.
    I used the NFL site (takes to long to load each one at work, but the numbers/games missed doesn't seem to quite jive.) ;D

    By the way, if he did add wieght do you think if he added more wieght it would slow his speed down a bit or break his knees down faster?


    1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 y

    Santana Moss
    Career Stats more

    Season Team
    Receiving Rushing Fumbles
    G GS Rec Yds Avg Long TD Att Yds Avg Lng TD FUM Lost
    2007
    Washington Redskins
    14
    14
    61 808 13.2 49 3 3 13 4.3 11 0 2 2
    2006
    Washington Redskins
    14
    14
    55 790 14.4 68T 6 7 82 11.7 35 0 2 0
    2005
    Washington Redskins
    16
    16
    84 1,483 17.7 78T 9 3 -3 -1.0 3 0 3 1
    2004
    New York Jets





    15
    14
    45 838 18.6 69T 5 6 18 3.0 12 0 2 0
    2003
    New York Jets





    16
    12
    74 1,105 14.9 65T 10 10 67 6.7 25 0 4 2
    2002
    New York Jets





    15
    3
    30 433 14.4 47 4 7 48 6.9 14 0 2 0
    2001
    New York Jets






    5
    0
    2 40 20.0 33 0 1 -6 -6.0 -6 0 -- --





















    TOTAL 351 5,497 15.7 78 37 37 219 5.9 35 0 15 5

    Welker
    Receiving
    Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Long TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    2007 New England Patriots
    16 112 1,175 10.5 73.4 42 8 10 1 65 2
    2006 Miami Dolphins
    16 67 687 10.3 42.9 38 1 9 0 33 0
    2005 Miami Dolphins
    16 29 434 15.0 27.1 47 0 6 2 20 0
    2004 Miami Dolphins
    14 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --
    2004 San Diego Chargers
    1 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --


    Steve Smith
    Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Long TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    2007 Carolina Panthers
    15 87 1,002 11.5 66.8 74T 7 9 4 43 1
    2006 Carolina Panthers
    14 83 1,166 14.0 83.3 72T 8 17 4 51 0
    2005 Carolina Panthers
    16 103 1,563 15.2 97.7 80T 12 22 7 70 1
    2004 Carolina Panthers
    1 6 60 10.0 60.0 15 0 0 0 4 0
    2003 Carolina Panthers
    16 88 1,110 12.6 69.4 67T 7 16 4 48 2
    2002 Carolina Panthers
    15 54 872 16.1 58.1 69 3 18 4 33 1
    2001 Carolina Panthers
    15 10 154 15.4 10.3 33 0 2 0 8 0

    Deon Branch
    Receiving
    Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Long TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM
    2007 Seattle Seahawks
    11 49 661 13.5 60.1 65 4 10 2 30 0
    2006 Seattle Seahawks
    14 53 725 13.7 51.8 38T 4 8 0 40 0
    2005 New England Patriots
    16 78 998 12.8 62.4 51 5 13 1 51 0
    2004 New England Patriots
    9 35 454 13.0 50.4 26T 4 6 0 27 0
    2003 New England Patriots
    15 57 803 14.1 53.5 66T 3 9 2 40 0
    2002 New England Patriots
    13 43 489 11.4 37.6 49T 2 6 2 22 0

    I used the last three years because it just takes too long to go through more than that... and then i averaged them out....

    I don't think 10 extra pounds will slow him down.. that could just be muscle and him filling out.. i mean the guy is only 20-21 yrs old.. you fill out naturally as you get older.. it's not the same as a LB adding weight to play DE.. so you can't really make that comparison..IMO

    with that said, i'm not saying we should draft him at 17... but if we did i wouldn't be disappointed... he'll be a good receiver and he's taller than alot of those other guys on the list.. he just needs to fill out...


  6. #16
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    and by the way heres my mock draft, boysfan24 and i were bored and made it, all 7 rounds, a lil ridiculous

    and i dont have the vikes getting jackson, cause merling is still on the board

    http://www.mymockdraft.com/MyDraft/dcboardr41.aspx

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  7. #17
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    and by the way heres my mock draft, boysfan24 and i were bored and made it, all 7 rounds, a lil ridiculous

    and i dont have the vikes getting jackson, cause merling is still on the board

    http://www.mymockdraft.com/MyDraft/dcboardr41.aspx
    Not bad.
    Can't see any of the other rounds though.
    Say they aren't available or server is having problems.
    I will check them out later.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #18
    mjuaire's Avatar
    mjuaire is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    103

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    bleedpurple,
    the gift of hindsight is 20/20 and it makes it easier to say that I would draft Welker in the 1st round knowing what I know NOW. (although i'm not sure i would to be honest, another subject ;D)
    the fact is you have to draft based on what you see and forsee in the future, to the best of your ability.
    Clearly there is margin for error, for every stud who has been turned out there is a David Terrell, Troy Williamson, David Boston...etc.
    WR's who were drafted high and pooped the bed.
    I'm not arguing that Jackson is better or worse than any of those, but I'm arguing that I don't think it's worth a #17 pick.


    I obviously agree that WR needs to be addressed as well.
    I think round 2 is best for this due to the depp class of WR.
    But even if our top guys at DE are gone and Kelly and Sweed are too (which I just can't imagine all of them gone by #17)
    I would still rather go with an OT (which could be a major need based on Bryant's issues)
    which I think is a better value at less of a margin for error.
    Now if we were to trade down towards the end of the first round and take him??? that's a little different, but i have no inclination to think that will happen as of now.

    As far as his ability to develop into a top WR, that's something I won't argue because of course that can happen, and in fact, if he's rated that high by everyone (top 3 rounds) he absolutely has the potential to turn in great numbers eventually.
    It's just hard to speak about that when we just don't know.
    So that's why I tend to be a little more conservative with a 1st rounder when juggling a high risk/high reward guy like Jackson.

    quality discussion either way.

  9. #19
    ragz's Avatar
    ragz is offline GM
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,114

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Personally I prefer Devin Thomas from Michigan State for one big reason...his size.
    Jackson is hovering around 170 and is under 6 feet tall.
    I'm not saying he can't succeed at that size, but the odds of him getting hurt going across the middle are pretty good.
    Thomas is 6'2" over 200 lbs and can do all the things Jackson does, i.e. return kicks, RAC, and present a huge downfield threat.
    We could probably trade down to get this guy too, but he has been getting a lot of attention since he blew up the Combine, so he might go earlier than his previous projections.
    I think his risk of injury will be decreased because his size won't allow him to get off the line.

    ;D

    JK, his size is an issue for me.
    And for all of you out there that are gonna run up the small WR's that have succeeded in the NFL of late, make sure you add what round they were drafted in and how many games they miss a year.

    If this guy were available in say like the 3rd round, I would jump at him, but because of his size (again) I would have to pass in the first round NO MATTER HOW TALENTED you say he is.
    I understand your point of contention in regards to size.. and i do think jackson would be a good addition to play in the slot, but i also think rice and berrian could play the slot and we pick up a devon thomas, Limas Sweed, the hardy guy, or some of the other big receivers in the draft, Me as you all know really likes Sweed.. but also.. consider, Manningham and Doucet in the second round.. those are both options... IMO...

    but as for small receivers.. according to ESPN profiles +/- an inch or two bc they aren't always spot on....

    1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 yrs


    On the lists above these are arguably some of the best if not the best receivers in the game...

    the list of 6foot receivers is even longer with the likes of
    torry holt, Reggie wayne, marvin harrison, Houshmenzada (6'1) Chad Johnson (6'1) to name a few...

    Look here.. Desean Jackson is listed at 6'0 and 179lbs so he could put on more weight roughly 10-15 lbs.. so to say he's not durable or hes too small to draft that high is ridiculous... Yall should actually look into what the facts are before taking ppl's word for it... I wouldn't be upset with this pick at all.... And he has only the greatest receiver of ALL TIME... JERRY RICE tutoring and mentoring him.... what's not to like about this guy.... that's even more reason to take him at #17..

    settle down pal, all those listed don't even come close to weighing 169, which is what he weighed at the combine.
    and putting on 10-15 lbs is not so easy for a wr who depends on his speed and quickness.
    i don't think there is anything wrong with questioning his value due to his size.
    it could be the determining factor of successful he is in the nfl.
    qbs drop due to their height, defensive ends due to their weight, every position, so why would this guy be immuned.
    the point is, it has to be considered and considered strongly.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

  10. #20
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

    "ragz" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Personally I prefer Devin Thomas from Michigan State for one big reason...his size.
    Jackson is hovering around 170 and is under 6 feet tall.
    I'm not saying he can't succeed at that size, but the odds of him getting hurt going across the middle are pretty good.
    Thomas is 6'2" over 200 lbs and can do all the things Jackson does, i.e. return kicks, RAC, and present a huge downfield threat.
    We could probably trade down to get this guy too, but he has been getting a lot of attention since he blew up the Combine, so he might go earlier than his previous projections.
    I think his risk of injury will be decreased because his size won't allow him to get off the line.

    ;D

    JK, his size is an issue for me.
    And for all of you out there that are gonna run up the small WR's that have succeeded in the NFL of late, make sure you add what round they were drafted in and how many games they miss a year.

    If this guy were available in say like the 3rd round, I would jump at him, but because of his size (again) I would have to pass in the first round NO MATTER HOW TALENTED you say he is.
    I understand your point of contention in regards to size.. and i do think jackson would be a good addition to play in the slot, but i also think rice and berrian could play the slot and we pick up a devon thomas, Limas Sweed, the hardy guy, or some of the other big receivers in the draft, Me as you all know really likes Sweed.. but also.. consider, Manningham and Doucet in the second round.. those are both options... IMO...

    but as for small receivers.. according to ESPN profiles +/- an inch or two bc they aren't always spot on....

    1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 yrs


    On the lists above these are arguably some of the best if not the best receivers in the game...

    the list of 6foot receivers is even longer with the likes of
    torry holt, Reggie wayne, marvin harrison, Houshmenzada (6'1) Chad Johnson (6'1) to name a few...

    Look here.. Desean Jackson is listed at 6'0 and 179lbs so he could put on more weight roughly 10-15 lbs.. so to say he's not durable or hes too small to draft that high is ridiculous... Yall should actually look into what the facts are before taking ppl's word for it... I wouldn't be upset with this pick at all.... And he has only the greatest receiver of ALL TIME... JERRY RICE tutoring and mentoring him.... what's not to like about this guy.... that's even more reason to take him at #17..

    settle down pal, all those listed don't even come close to weighing 169, which is what he weighed at the combine.
    and putting on 10-15 lbs is not so easy for a wr who depends on his speed and quickness.
    i don't think there is anything wrong with questioning his value due to his size.
    it could be the determining factor of successful he is in the nfl.
    qbs drop due to their height, defensive ends due to their weight, every position, so why would this guy be immuned.
    the point is, it has to be considered and considered strongly.
    all desean jackson has to do is hit the weight room over the summer and he can easily put on 10 lbs of muscle, remember im not saying we are going to take him. but if merling/harvey are off the board its a great pick and it also fits the whole "BPA" idea that the vikings are supposivly going with

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Draft/Roster thoughts
    By SoDakfan in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM
  2. My thoughts on 2008 Draft
    By ajoyce in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
  3. My thoughts on the draft
    By vikings11_27 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 08:16 AM
  4. My thoughts on the draft.
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
  5. Mock Draft- Thoughts Please!
    By PacMan21 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •