Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

With our signing in FA we filled to clear holes we had, WR and FS, which probably means we are not focusing in at those postions in the 1st round. We still have the huge hole at DE, there are plenty of good DEs in this draft class(Long,Gholston,Harvey,Merling,Campbell). But 4 out of 5 of those players could be gone by the time we pick at 17. And if Campbell is there for us i would not like us taking him because there are rumors that he is already gaining weight before even hitting the pros, which is not good. Some fans are wanting a change of helm at QB, by getting Brohm/Flacco, but i dont this the FO is going to take one in the 1st rd, maybe with one of our 3rd round picks.But heres my pick, i hated getting this guy before we got Bernard Berrian, and that is Cal WR Desean Jackson. By drafting him now with having BB it means he does not have to come in and be the #1 or #2 WR. He can play the slot with Bobby Wade and burn people deep and across the field. Just think how ridiculous our WR core would be if we were to get him, we would go from one of the worst WR cores to one of the bests. And him and Mo Hicks would make an amazing tandem at KR/PR. If Tjack cant rack up good stats with that core, he needs to be booted.

and by the way, Jackson is working out with a pretty good WR
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Re: New Thoughts on the Draft After FA

i would love that pick.. i love how he catches the ball with his hands not his body

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    i would love that pick.. i love how he catches the ball with his hands not his body
    i just love that he can catch

Thanks josdin00

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Personally I prefer Devin Thomas from Michigan State for one big reason...his size.
    Jackson is hovering around 170 and is under 6 feet tall.
    I'm not saying he can't succeed at that size, but the odds of him getting hurt going across the middle are pretty good.
    Thomas is 6'2" over 200 lbs and can do all the things Jackson does, i.e. return kicks, RAC, and present a huge downfield threat.
    We could probably trade down to get this guy too, but he has been getting a lot of attention since he blew up the Combine, so he might go earlier than his previous projections.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jkjuggalo" wrote:
    Personally I prefer Devin Thomas from Michigan State for one big reason...his size.
    I'm not saying he can't succeed at that size, but the odds of him getting hurt going across the middle are pretty good.
    Thomas is 6'2" over 200 lbs and can do all the things Jackson does, i.e. return kicks, RAC, and present a huge downfield threat.
    We could probably trade down to get this guy too, but he has been getting a lot of attention since he blew up the Combine, so he might go earlier than his previous projections.
    I think his risk of injury will be decreased because his size won't allow him to get off the line.
    ;D

JK, his size is an issue for me.
    And for all of you out there that are gonna run up the small WR's that have succeeded in the NFL of late, make sure you add what round they were drafted in and how many games they miss a year.

If this guy were available in say like the 3rd round, I would jump at him, but because of his size (again) I would have to pass in the first round NO MATTER HOW TALENTED you say he is.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mjuaire is offline Rookie

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    I think his risk of injury will be decreased because his size won't allow him to get off the line.

;D

And for all of you out there that are gonna run up the small WR's that have succeeded in the NFL of late, make sure you add what round they were drafted in and how many games they miss a year.

If this guy were available in say like the 3rd round, I would jump at him, but because of his size (again) I would have to pass in the first round NO MATTER HOW TALENTED you say he is.
    I love Devin Thomas as well, for the same reasons mentioned above, especially how his size compliments our current WR Core...I'm a big fan of that addition, just not sure if at #17 that is our best option.
    I'm hoping we can get him in 2nd round

I also think that when we're talking about size we need to talk about both aspects of that word.
    the height isn't an issue for me becuase we have seen plenty of people succed at below 6 feet.
    but it's his frame that worries me.
    Those other WR's that are making the case for the "smaller" WR are put together quite well.
    Steve Smith = stacked, Joey galloway = stacked, Deion Branch, Wes Welker...etc etc.
    these guys are able to withstand a degree of punishment because of how they are put together, and I think Galloway may have been the only 1st rounder of them all on top of that.

I'm not saying Jackson cannot become a star, i'm saying he has a more difficult road than others because of his size and WR's usually take a little bit to come in and contribute regardless.
    His special teams capabilities are an advantage but not at #17.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"tb04512" wrote:
    "DustinDupont" wrote:
    i just love that he can catch
    No kidding.
    He could catch the ball with his asshole and as long as he did it on a consistent basis I would still be happy. ;D

Honestly though, I just don't see us going WR in round 1.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jkjuggalo" wrote:
    ;D

I understand your point of contention in regards to size.. and i do think jackson would be a good addition to play in the slot, but i also think rice and berrian could play the slot and we pick up a devon thomas, Limas Sweed, the hardy guy, or some of the other big receivers in the draft, Me as you all know really likes Sweed.. but also.. consider, Manningham and Doucet in the second round.. those are both options... IMO...

but as for small receivers.. according to ESPN profiles +/- an inch or two bc they aren't always spot on....

1.Santana Moss 5'10 200lbs was selected in the 1st round at pick 16.. avg 1.3 games missed the last three years.
    2. Laverneous coles 5'11 193 lbs 3rd round avg 1.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    3. Wes Welker 5'9 undrafted 185lbs no games missed
    4. steve smith 5'9 185lbs 3rd round avg game missed last 3 yrs
    5. Deon Branch 5'9 192lbs 2nd round 2.3 games missed last 3 yrs
    6. Greg Jennings 5'11 197lbs 2nd round 2.5 games missed last 2 yrs
    7. Lee Evans 5'10 197 lbs 1st round pick 13 no games missed in 3 yrs
    8. Joey Galloway 5'11 197lbs 1st round pick 8 1 game missed in last 3 yrs due to playoffs d next wk
    9. randall El 5'10 192lbs 2nd round 1 gm missed last 3 yrs
    10. Sanantonio Holmes 5'11 189lbs 1st round pk25 3 games missed last 2 yrs

On the lists above these are arguably some of the best if not the best receivers in the game...

the list of 6foot receivers is even longer with the likes of
    torry holt, Reggie wayne, marvin harrison, Houshmenzada (6'1) Chad Johnson (6'1) to name a few...

Look here.. Desean Jackson is listed at 6'0 and 179lbs so he could put on more weight roughly 10-15 lbs.. so to say he's not durable or hes too small to draft that high is ridiculous... Yall should actually look into what the facts are before taking ppl's word for it... I wouldn't be upset with this pick at all.... And he has only the greatest receiver of ALL TIME... JERRY RICE tutoring and mentoring him.... what's not to like about this guy.... that's even more reason to take him at #17..

mjuaire is offline Rookie

I'm not sure what facts are being alluded to, but my point is I don't think he's worth the #17 pick.
    And, I previously mentioned a few of the WR's on the above list and stated that they were quality WR's... What I said, in reference to Jackson, was that he is more frail than those WR's are and he is more frail than they were coming out of college, not to mention that Jackson will PROBABLY not be as effective as any of them, at least right away.
    And, I feel his size will be a bit of a factor initially, therefore leading me to go elsewhere with the pick.

Additionally, how many of those WR's listed were 1st round picks??

I don't feel our greatest need is at WR, although I would like another one.
    I don't think Jackson will be the BPA at #17 either, so I wouldn't want him there.
    I'm not saying he can't be successful, but with WR's it takes a little bit to impact a game (outside of ST) so I think that his physical attributes leave a little to be desired and I think there are WR's that are better ready to help immediately.

Having said all that, I agree with "bleedpurple" that adding one WR in the first 2 rounds would be advantageous.
    I just don't feel it would be jackson unless of course he slips to round 2, I think he would be a great value there.
    I like Devin Thomas a lot too as I'm mentioned, but we do need immediate help at DE and I just think that's where we gotta go. if one of our top 2 guys is on the board at that time.

But this is all just my opinion, great thing about the draft is nobody REALLY knows until D-Day.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mjuaire" wrote:
    But this is all just my opinion, great thing about the draft is nobody REALLY knows until D-Day.
    Only 44 more days!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast