Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: A new and improved Smoot?

Posted on Mon, Apr. 10, 2006

[size=18px]Smoot is trying to prove himself[/size]

Cornerback bulked up, is focusing on future

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Heading into his sixth NFL season, cornerback Fred Smoot isn't thrilled about playing for his fifth head coach and sixth defensive coordinator.

After a tumultuous 2005 season, Smoot is ready for a fresh start.

"I feel like a free agent again," said Smoot, one of the players who starred during the team's three-day minicamp that concluded Sunday. "I'm feeling good about the coaches. For the first time in two years, I feel like I'm being coached. They're well organized, and every time we hit the field, we're getting something done. I got the love that came from coach (Joe) Gibbs, Gregg Williams, Marvin Lewis."

Smoot was charged in the boat party scandal last October, and he was limited to 11 games last season because of injuries. Smoot also was frustrated when Brian Williams replaced him in the starting lineup when he regained his health.

"It wasn't me and Brian Williams," Smoot said of the tension. "It was me and Mike Tice. Brian went out and did his job, and I give all my praise to Brian, and he got rewarded."

Smoot didn't want to elaborate on history, instead focusing on the future. For one, Smoot aggressively worked on building his strength, adding muscle to his frame.

"He has worked out," Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper said. "He has been taking care of his body and doing the things he needs to do to play at a high level, and I think that's going to pay off."

Smoot, whose listed weight last season was 178 pounds, currently weighs 200, but he said his playing weight might be 195.

Now, Smoot wants to show Vikings fans what he's all about.

"I want to prove to Minnesota that I am the best defensive back they probably have ever seen," he said.

Open-minded: After last season ended, E.J. Henderson expressed his desire to return to middle linebacker. But Henderson said that's no longer a priority because of the team's new defensive scheme.

"It doesn't matter where you play in this defense," he said. "Wherever they want to put me is fine, because all three positions are interchangeable."

Because the Vikings will not utilize a middle linebacker in a traditional way, Henderson is open to playing anywhere, as long as he gets a chance to start.

That's not out of the realm of possibilities because he has started 28 games over the past two seasons.

"That's how it goes when you're not a superstar in this league," Henderson said. "So the guys whose jobs are etched in stone are Pro Bowl-caliber players, and they have proven themselves. And I have yet to prove myself to be that type of player, so I have to work for everything I deserve.

"It's going to be fun."

Just passing through: Coach Brad Childress said about 30 draftable players will visit Winter Park this week, but not quarterback Vince Young.

"I don't have the 30-odd names memorized, but just guys we're interested in and guys that we need to talk to some more," Childress said. "We can do a lot of things on these visits.

"I would say that all of those guys fit into those different categories, whether it's a medical question, a personality question, or a guy that we're legitimately interested in. I will say this to you: I'm going to let you guys try to figure that out."

Briefly: Childress excused quarterback Brad Johnson from Sunday's practice. Johnson had a "personal thing," Childress said, declining to elaborate.

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected].

Smoot is trying to prove himself

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Smoot, whose listed weight last season was 178 pounds, currently weighs 200, but he said his playing weight might be 195.

---

UHHHHH...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

That weight increase is great as long as he didn't lose quickness

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

From the looks of mini camp, quickness isn't a problem. I think (hope) Smoot is going to have a Pro Bowl year this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

extra weight might be muscle :lift:

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

muscle dosnt nesicarily transfer into football ability. remeber brock lesner? nobody can deny he had huge muscles but he didnt know how to use it on a football field an was cut.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

alberta_vike is offline Starter

muscle dosnt nesicarily transfer into football ability. remeber brock lesner? nobody can deny he had huge muscles but he didnt know how to use it on a football field an was cut.
    The difference in this situation is that Smoot has already proven he has football skills. I think adding muscle will help him out, unless the extra weight slows him down.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

:grin: It's nice to hear that from Smoot. I knoe he's a big talker, but when you say things like that and your teammates back you up it's usually not just idle chatter. I hope he comes around and kicks some ass this season.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

I wish Smoot the best this season. IMO, Smoot needs to impress early and often this year if he does not want the Vikings organization (and some fans) to turn against him. So far he has been as bad, if not worse than Denard Walker. He talks a lot, so this year he better back it up or he may be working for another coach again.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Purple_Hope is offline Rookie

I was at the Lions' game last year and couldn't tell if the fans were either cheering or booing for Sssmmmoooooot. This wasn't all that long after the whole boat scandal, I remember they were still selling those "I got laid on Al and Alma's '05" t-shirts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123