Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Re: A new and improved Smoot?

The Tampa 2 is made for the DBs, watch out for the secondary. 9/17 is the Steve Smith vs Smoot rematch.
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

Odin VAVikefan is offline Pro-Bowler

Having seen Smoot's whole career out in the DC area, I was excited for him to come to Minnesota, but I think a lot of people were expecting a top 10 CB out of him, which is not something we're likely to see in him. Smoot is a risk/reward guy, he is not a shutdown corner; never has been. Smoot has a history of being a guy who will ditch coverage to go for the pick, sometimes he gets the INT, sometimes he gets burned. And that's OK with that type of player, but Cottrell seemed to expect Smoot to be the same style of CB as Winfield, which is flat-out rediculous. Smoot is going to need Safety help on some of the best WR's out there, but he wasn't getting it in our old scheme. People shouldn't get too miffed about the occasional burn-play from Smoot, he's a great ----#2---- cornerback who has to play off a bit to ballhawk. Last year was really bad for him (only bad year of his career, and it occurs on his first year with a new team...), but I think the scheme mixed with fans' unfamiliarity with Smoot's penchant for trash-talking and got a lot of backs up. Give him a chance this year, and don't think he's the same type of shut-down corner that AW is.
    NMA -- www.newmodelarmy.org

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Yah lmao..

First day of mini camp and he gets a pick and everyone wants to keep him again

He will be better this year i've been saying it all along.. He won't be hurt and won't have a bad coaching staff that screwed up everything for him

i have a lot of confidence that smoot will be the corner we thought he was going to be when we signed him

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Benet says:
    Now one pick-off in a no-pads Mini-Camp and he's being mentioned in the same breath as Neon Deion!? Come on guys, I want him to be amazing just as much as the rest of you do.. But let's try and keep some perspective on this.
    Leave it to Benet to bring us all back to reality once again! :lol:
    But seriously, a lot of it was bad coaching and I think he will do much better this year.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Benet says:
    Now one pick-off in a no-pads Mini-Camp and he's being mentioned in the same breath as Neon Deion!? Come on guys, I want him to be amazing just as much as the rest of you do.. But let's try and keep some perspective on this.
    Leave it to Benet to bring us all back to reality once again! :lol:
    But seriously, a lot of it was bad coaching and I think he will do much better this year.
    I do my best, buddy!

:grin:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Just because Smoot has been bulking up doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a better athelete.

It just means he's more "ripped".

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Well, he definetly has the potential to be a good corner. Lets not forget that He was awesome when he was playing for Washington two years ago and he didn't have a major injury or anything. Maybe last year was a fluke, we'll see

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

smoot said about a month or so ago that he put on something like 12 pounds of muscle
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Vrehna is offline Rookie

I like Smoot,

Never thought that he was a shut-down corner, but really how many shut down corners do we have in the NFL? I wouldn't even consider Winfield as a shut-down corner. They are both damn fine CBs, and I think with the defense we have here with our Cover 2 scheme, the two should perform fantastically.

Watching what happened to Smoot from Steve Smith was a discrace not on Smoots part, but on the whole coaching staff. All I saw there was the staff punishing Smoot for his trash talking.

Man am I glad that our old coaching staff is gone...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast