Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

A new and improved Smoot?

Vikings | Smoot looks impressive at team's first practice
    Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:41:33 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings CB Fred Smoot was among the team's most impressive performers at the team's first practice. Smoot appeared to have put on muscle after a disappointing 2005 season.
    =================================================
    Y'know, I was always leery of guys like Smoot. Guys dat like ta shoot dere moufs off, y'know? I figured after last season, dis Smoot guy was a bust, y'know?

But, mebbe not. He's got a lotta pride, I figger. And after a disappointing season like he had last year, mebbe he wants ta show everyone dat he's da real deal, y'know? Looks like he's takin' pains to walk da walk as well as talk da talk, y'know? I like dat. As long as a guy can back up what he says, dat guy is ok in my book, y'know?
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

Re: A new and improved Smoot?

That's good to hear. He and Winfield should be a good tandem this year.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

whiteboy is offline Pro-Bowler

good, hopefully he'll remind me why i was so excited we got him

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

I hope he is more humble but still has that swagger. I know that sounds like a contradiction but last year he came in acting like Deion Sanders but played more like Denard Walker. CBs need to be cocky and have an attitude but something about Smoot rubbed me the wrong way last year, especially after Steve Smith made him his beeyatch. Lets hope we get what we paid for this season from him. If he can lock guys down on the island the entire defense will beworlds better. Its good to hear he committed himself to hard work this offseason.

[color=red]

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"especially after Steve Smith made him his beeyatch."

Don't you mean after Teddy Cottrell let Smith treat Smoot like a bitch. The defensive scheme was 99% of the problem that game, not Smoot. Now that we have a decent DC, we will get to see what Smoot can really do.

Smmmooooooooooot! :grin:
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

I was going to add that and knew someone would point it out. You are right that the coaches gave us ZERO chance to win that game. I didn't put that in my post because I was trying to avoid rambling, but now that you've brought it up, I agree he was in a bad situation. Regardless of the coaching, however, he was dissapointing last season and I expect him to be much better. Hearing that he's in great shape and impressed this week is a great start.

[color=red]

Json is offline GM

I hope Smoot's got his stuff together. I think after switching from Washington to Minnesota and signing a nice contract he'd be able to continue to talk the talk but forgot to start walking in the process.

Maybe some of the negative remarks made by the media opened his eyes a little and he took it personal, now he's looking to prove that is an elite corner in the league.

I do blame the coaching staff as well, but either way Smoot didn't perform up to his expectations, so I hope he got his act together and get himself into the pro bowl this year.

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

smoot is going to have a better year w/o cottrell

I think that it was the just the system that was the problem....!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I'm just trying to remember who on this board wanted to get rid of Smoot as recently as last week..

Now one pick-off in a no-pads Mini-Camp and he's being mentioned in the same breath as Neon Deion!? Come on guys, I want him to be amazing just as much as the rest of you do.. But let's try and keep some perspective on this.

I know that sounds overly negative, so I'll just say I LOVE our starting defensive backfield. I think we're going to see a lot of game-changing plays from in 2006 from those 4 guys (Smoot, Winfield, Sharper and Tank Williams).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast