Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    tclawmen is offline Starter

NEEDS IN THE 2008 DRAFT

We have certainly filled some holes with free agency this year but there is still some improvement to be made before we can be considered one of the favorites and make any noise in the playoffs. List the positions in order of importance 1-5 and share who you think we should take with our 1st round pick and why.

#1 - D/E - We have not been able to address the position in free agency and it is without question our biggest need and I would love to see Derrick Harvery/Florida fall to us at 17

#2 - C/B - We got some help with Madieu Williams but based on our pass D last year we still need some help and need to get another C/B that can cover
    #3 - OT - With McKinneys situation and with the problems we had on the right side, we need to get some help on the O line to protect TJack and create holes for AP.
    #4 - W/R - I think Berrian certainly filled a need and his presence should help create room for AP to run
    #5 - Q/B - this still needs to be fixed thru free agency. But, if Flacco some how fell in the draft, I would consider him as early as the 2nd round and surely grab him if he fell to the 3rd.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: NEEDS IN THE 2008 DRAFT

"tclawmen" wrote:
    We have certainly filled some holes with free agency this year but there is still some improvement to be made before we can be considered one of the favorites and make any noise in the playoffs. List the positions in order of importance 1-5 and share who you think we should take with our 1st round pick and why.

What are your thoughts?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tclawmen is offline Starter

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "tclawmen" wrote:

What are your thoughts?
    Sorry Marrdro, I somehow posted this before I got my choices in. I went back and edited my original post.

Texanvike is offline Rookie

1. DE - No debate here.
    We need to come through in draft at this position.
    2. QB - I want to see us get serviceable veteran backup.
    Or somebody to maybe compete with T.J.
    3. DT- We need at least a good backup at this position.
    Hopefully we can pick up somebody in the draft that can eventually replace Big Pat.
    4. OT - I'm not excited about our right side and the looming suspension of B. Mckinnie.
    Guessing they'll probably draft an offensive lineman or two.
    5. CB - Winfield is getting older.
    Griffin wasn't too great last year, but I expect him to rebound nicely.
    Mccauley should improve.
    I love lamp.

"tclawmen" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "tclawmen" wrote:

What are your thoughts?
    Sorry Marrdro, I somehow posted this before I got my choices in. I went back and edited my original post.
    No worries my friend.

I would rank the top 5 a bit different than your options.

#1 DE - Good assesment. I like Derrick Harvey as a RDE but don't think he fits the bill at 6'4 - 262 lbs.
    With all the talent we currently have at RDE I bet they look at a guy like Calais Campbell, 6'8 - 280 lbs, if he is there in the 1rst round or wait until the 3rd for a guy like Kendall Langford in the 3rd or 4th round.

#2 S - Williams was a nice addtion but we still have 2 roster spots open.
    That alone drives the need up a bit.
    If for some reason Kenny Phillips is there at 17 I bet the take him as in order for him to get there a few of the DEs are probably gone.

#3a. DT - Need to get a guy behind Phat Pat that can give him some reps this year and collapse the pocket.

#3b. OT - This is a big shift for me.
    I used to have FB here but after the McKinnie issue I don't like what I see at LT if he goes out for any reason (i.e. suspension).
    One of the backups would have to come in to spell him (Johson brothers) leaving us thin at OT.

LB - I like prospect of Rufus coming off the bench to play all the positions but believe we need to draft another guy that can play ST's as well as add some depth to the LB corp.
    We evaded injuries at this position last year.
    Might not happen that way this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mjuaire is offline Rookie

I agree 100% about Derrick Harvey.
    I don't think he'll slip to us but I sure hope he does.
    If he does not, then I am not sure where I go...probably BPA or perhaps Phil Merling...but not sold on him as much as I am Harvey.

I like: Aquib Talib, Limas Sweed, and best ranked OT for possible secondary 1st round selections.

I love Early Eoucet if he can drop to us for 2nd round.
    also continued to address our OL, and we need depth at LB.
    Someone Mentioned Adibi, LB from Auburn and I would love that pick in or around the 3rd round. Not sure about a QB but I would think one needs to be taken in the first 3 or 4 rounds.
    I'm kind of indifferent on that one though.

my 2 cents anyway.

KevinK is offline Starter

I have been researching the key positions as well Marrdro.
    It is obvious that we need a DE, but I'd still like the coaches to go with best player available formula, after addressing the DE problem in the first round. I do believe that addressing the QB backup would be the other obvious choice but in the second round and later I think finding any position as key backups to our starters is the right choice. I hope they address the QB problem through trades for Losman or Rosenfeld. Or a second rounder for Brady Quinn would be a long shot considering I still believe the first rounder is needed for DE.

Here are my choices for the Vikings key positions:
    1. DE-
    I hope we get either Derrick Harvey or Calais Campbell in the first round.
    But I would not be surprised if their both gone.
    I really could see Long, Campbell, Harvey, Gholston all gone.
    If this is the case I would trade up to snag one and trade a draft pick in rounds 3-5.
    2. DT-
    We need a quality player to backup the Williams brothers.
    Heaven forbid we lose one to injury.
    It could cost us a playoff spot to lose one of them.
    3. Best CB or Safety available is needed to help our aging best players in Sharper and Winfield.
    4. OL-
    The McKinnie incident will hurt us without some insurance policy throught the draft.
    I think Bryant really screwed things up for us in our draft process.
    5. QB- If Brohm is available as a third rounder grab him and see what he can do to compete with TJack in 2009 if he doesnt develop.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

If we pick Campbell with the 17th overall, its a very bad move..

Guy has had a very dissapoiting year and has failed to impress in any workout, combine or proday.

My bet is that he wont be selected in the first round.

Phillip Merling is the guy im looking for right now.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Not a voice of authority or anything but here is what I see happening in the first round now that the big rash of FA signings are over.

Kindof a funny thing when you really dig into the other sites and see what the teams might do (ie Pats.).
    I at first had them going LB all the way but if you break down what happened to them in the SB you will see that maybe they need to get some OL help.
    Clady now goes to the pats.

1 Dolphins Chris Long, DE
    2 Rams Jake Long, OT
    3 Falcons Glen Dorsey, DT
    4 Raiders Darren McFadden, RB
    5 Chiefs Cedric Ellist, DT
    6 Jets Vernon Gholston, DE
    7 Patriots(49ers) Ryan Clady, OT
    8 Ravens Matt Ryan, QB
    9 Bengals Derrick Harvey, DE
    10 Saints Keith Rivers, LB
    11 Bills Malcomb Kelly, WR
    12 Broncos DeSean Jackson, WR
    13 Panthers Johnathan Stewart, RB
    14 Bears Brian Brohm, QB
    15 Lions Dan Conner, LB
    16 Cardinals Mike Jenkins, CB
    17 Vikings Calais Campbell, DE
    18 Texans Rashard Mendenhall, RB
    19 Eagles Jeff Otah, OT
    20 Buccaneers Aqip Talib, CB
    21 Redskins Kenny Phillips, S
    22 Cowboys (Browns) Early Doucet, WR
    23 Steelers Brandon Albert, OG
    24 Titans Phillip Merling , DE
    25 Seahawks James Hardy, WR
    26 Jaguars Leodis McKelvin, CB
    27 Chargers Chris Williams, OT
    28 Cowboys Felix Jones, RB
    29 49'rs (Colts) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
    30 Packers Antoine Cason, CB
    31 Patriots Forfiet
    32 Giants Anthony Collins, OT

As I pointed out in another thread, no matter how the draft falls, we should have several good options at 17.
    I personnaly like Calais Campbell
    as he is 6'7 3/4
    290 (A bit slow at 5.03) but would seem to be a perfect fit for our LDE woes.

The best thing about him, in my book, is that he can come in and give us instant reps at LDE and then in a couple of years move him to DT after he puts on some additional weight.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_...s-campbell.htm

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Not a voice of authority or anything but here is what I see happening in the first round now that the big rash of FA signings are over.

Kindof a funny thing when you really dig into the other sites and see what the teams might do (ie Pats.).
    I at first had them going LB all the way but if you break down what happened to them in the SB you will see that maybe they need to get some OL help.
    Clady now goes to the pats.

1 Dolphins Chris Long, DE
    2 Rams Jake Long, OT
    3 Falcons Glen Dorsey, DT
    4 Raiders Darren McFadden, RB
    5 Chiefs Cedric Ellist, DT
    6 Jets Vernon Gholston, DE
    7 Patriots(49ers) Ryan Clady, OT
    8 Ravens Matt Ryan, QB
    9 Bengals Derrick Harvey, DE
    10 Saints Keith Rivers, LB
    11 Bills Malcomb Kelly, WR
    12 Broncos DeSean Jackson, WR
    13 Panthers Johnathan Stewart, RB
    14 Bears Brian Brohm, QB
    15 Lions Dan Conner, LB
    16 Cardinals Mike Jenkins, CB
    17 Vikings Calais Campbell, DE
    18 Texans Rashard Mendenhall, RB
    19 Eagles Jeff Otah, OT
    20 Buccaneers Aqip Talib, CB
    21 Redskins Kenny Phillips, S
    22 Cowboys (Browns) Early Doucet, WR
    23 Steelers Brandon Albert, OG
    24 Titans Phillip Merling , DE
    25 Seahawks James Hardy, WR
    26 Jaguars Leodis McKelvin, CB
    27 Chargers Chris Williams, OT
    28 Cowboys Felix Jones, RB
    29 49'rs (Colts) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
    30 Packers Antoine Cason, CB
    31 Patriots Forfiet
    32 Giants Anthony Collins, OT

As I pointed out in another thread, no matter how the draft falls, we should have several good options at 17.
    I personnaly like Calais Campbell
    as he is 6'7 3/4
    290 (A bit slow at 5.03) but would seem to be a perfect fit for our LDE woes.

The best thing about him, in my book, is that he can come in and give us instant reps at LDE and then in a couple of years move him to DT after he puts on some additional weight.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_...s-campbell.htm

I'd like to see us try to trade up for Vernon Gholston, but I wouldn't be upset if the first round turned out like this. Besides, I don't think we're going to trade up regardless.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast