Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    punisher is offline Training Camp

Need O-line help, linebacker, RB

Brand spanking new to this site - love it. I bleed purple. I think the biggest needs are O-line and linebacker. Hope they make a serious run at Witherspoon or the guy from San Fran. I trust that signing or Taylor and Leber doesn't mean they're done at these two positions. I'd like to see us get Maroney at 17 - he's just awesome on our turf.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Need O-line help, linebacker, RB

"punisher" wrote:
    Brand spanking new to this site - love it. I bleed purple. I think the biggest needs are O-line and linebacker. Hope they make a serious run at Witherspoon or the guy from San Fran. I trust that signing or Taylor and Leber doesn't mean they're done at these two positions. I'd like to see us get Maroney at 17 - he's just awesome on our turf.

Hey man, welcome to the site... Go introduce yourself in the free beer section, and Ultra will be by with your free beer...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

welcome to the site, i hope you stick around. I think that they may still make a run at Witherspoon, but they'll most likely draft a LB in the first round.

if they don't get Hutchinson then i'll expect to see an OL drafted in the second. if they do get Hutch i think they'll probably get a safety in the second.

I think wiht the signing of Taylor that means that they're done with Running backs.

Big C is offline Coordinator

I've heard a number of analysts say that the draft is deep at LB so I doubt we will go after anymore FA LBs. Signing Taylor means we won't draft an RB in the 1st or 2nd rounds. We could even go QB since Dante will be gone.

I am just hoping and praying that we don't blow our biggest FA need - OL.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    welcome to the site, i hope you stick around. I think that they may still make a run at Witherspoon, but they'll most likely draft a LB in the first round.

if they don't get Hutchinson then i'll expect to see an OL drafted in the second. if they do get Hutch i think they'll probably get a safety in the second.

I think wiht the signing of Taylor that means that they're done with Running backs.

According to PA on KFAN, Foley told him that Witherspoon was property of another team, when PA asked him about our interest in him, so it sounds like we think Witherspoon is all but signed with another team already.

As far as RB's go, the Taylor signing does not at all rule out us drafting one at 17. We only really had 2 RB's before we signed Taylor, not counting onterrio who I'm sure will not be brought back by childress, so we needed multiple RB's. We still lack that bigger, inside running, more workhouse type of RB, so Maroney or White would still be a possibility at 17, if they were available.

Obviously there are still holes needed to be filled in FA, before we could look at RB at 17, but I would not at all be suprised to see us fill those holes still in FA, so we can use the draft for depth and to take the BPA.

And on Hutch, we are gonna have to offer a monster contract to him, for seattle not to be able to match it. We now only have like $5 million or so more in cap space then them, so expect to see them match our offer if it isn't rediculously huge. We are apperently working on an offer sheet for Hutch right now though. I pray we somehow can get him.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Look who came out of the woodwork!!!! :grin:

We have been needing some of that special insight that you have, ML4S...now explain to me why we gave Leber a BIGGER contract than we gave Taylor...it doesn't make sense to me that we would pay the guy that is most likely going to be our feature RB less than we would pay an LB that has been best described as a "solid" player, but nothing special...we already had a "solid" player in Newman at the same position!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

punisher is offline Training Camp

We just have so much cap room, I hope we make a real push at Hutch or Witherspoon. Our d-line is set as is our D backfield (outside of depth). We do need a pounder at back and L. White would be great but likely gone. Maroney would give us something we haven't had since Robert Smith. I'm a season ticket holder and bleed purple so I'm hear for good. Was sort of bummed when Bently was signed so quickly, but he went back to his Ohio roots so maybe we didn't have a shot at him.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Look who came out of the woodwork!!!! :grin:

We have been needing some of that special insight that you have, ML4S...now explain to me why we gave Leber a BIGGER contract than we gave Taylor...it doesn't make sense to me that we would pay the guy that is most likely going to be our feature RB less than we would pay an LB that has been best described as a "solid" player, but nothing special...we already had a "solid" player in Newman at the same position!

I still don't think we are set on using Taylor as our feature back. As I stated in my last post, it was also a numbers signing. We only had 2 RB's, so we had to sign at least 1 RB in FA and 2 if we weren't planning on drafting one. Taylor just fits the mold of a WCO back. He is in a similar mold of westbrook. He is a little better inside runner, not as quick as westbrook, and a good receiver like westbrook. However, we have yet to see if this guy can be a 20+ carry a game guy. I really think we still may look at Maroney at 17, if we do fill a few more holes in FA. Maroney fits that inside power running hole we still lack at RB.

As far as Leber and his contract goes, I am not real sure about that one either. Obviously Foley must know something we don't, regarding Leber. One very important thing about Leber though, is his versatility. Also very important is Leber's ability to cover the TE. We just didn't have that at LB and Leber excells at that. He knows all 3 LB positions and can play them all at about the same level. SAM would be the obvious spot to expect to see him line up, but he may end up playing MIKE this season. It sounds like we are gonna try a few of our current Lb's at MIKE, guessing Napo and EJ, and if they don't work, we will probably play Leber there. I think Leber is better inside then EJ. Hopefully we leave EJ outside. I'd like to see EJ at SAM, Leber at MIKE and Spoon(even though he is supposidly all but signed by another team) or Peterson at WILL.

I want Hutch, but don't see us being able to sign him, because it will cost so much. And if we do, we won't be able to afford other guys we may want or need, like some LB's.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

i agree!! I saw that on NFL Network the draft expert said that Chad Greenway is probably going in the mid to late 1st round!!! That puts us right in the mix for him!!! I think if we don't get Chad or another great LB then i say spend the 1st on either a DB or more likely a Safety!! If we can wait to the second round we can maybe pick up 2 good LB in, Dqwell Jackson or Thomas Howard, the speedster from UTEP. i pray to god that we can get Hutch!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Dis is a liddle info I got on dis mug Hutchison.
    =================================================
    A shopping spree for the Purple
    Normally one of the league's more conservative bidders, the Vikings signed three of their top prospects on Day 1 of free agency.

Mark Craig and Kevin Seifert Star Tribune Staff Writers, Star Tribune

Free agency finally began and teams moved furiously to address their most pressing needs. The Vikings, with a league-high $31 million war chest and a more aggressive spending directive from new owner Zygi Wilf, were uncharacteristically smack-dab in the middle of it on Day 1.

They immediately filled three holes, signing Chargers outside linebacker Ben Leber, Ravens running back Chester Taylor and decisively outbidding the Packers and Buccaneers for Green Bay kicker Ryan Longwell, a nine-year division nemesis who beat the Vikings with last-second field goals twice in 2004. And late Saturday night they were attempting to fill a fourth. Seattle Pro Bowl guard Steve Hutchinson arrived in the Twin Cities for a visit, and negotiations could begin today on an offer sheet.
    ===============================================
    Here's da whole article:

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/300677.html

Cross your fingers, Vikes fans! Let's haul dis mug in, y'know?
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast