Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    IIRC, Tank Williams is a hard hitting safety.

    IIRC, Washington took Sean Taylor, another hard hitting safety, and they haven't gotten anywhere near the playoffs lately.

    IIRC, Adam Archuletta was a top prospect at safety when he was drafted, but he did very little to improve the Rams defense, and that team won a SB based on Kurt Warner, their WRs, M.Faulk, and not their defense.

    I would prefer the Vikings select at 7 either a WR or QB, both of which would likely improve their passing attack.   As I said before, four players on defense who were on IR, who will return this year, will improve the pass defense, so a rookie safety will have less impact than a rookie QB or WR taken at 7.
    First of all, I highly doubt we would draft Landry, we would draft a DE in my opinion before we took a S. I personally think we are fairly good at that position right now, I would go so far as to say that Smith almost outplayed Sharper last year, he played very solidly, and I like Williams and Blue, plus we have some other backups for depth. Yes, I know Landy is has the ability to step in right away and be a superstar....every draft has loads of new potential, I think there will be another, "you can't miss" saftey in a couple years.  But this year we have much more demanding needs. I think we desperatly need playmaking ability at WR, we have what will hopefully turn out to be a franchise QB, but we need to give him weapons. I think almost any QB would have choked with out WRs last year.

    But Purplexing, you can't really use the above safteys as examples. Sean Taylor is a good saftey, and he helps their defense, think of where they would be without him, he can't take the blame for his team not making the playoffs. There are some safteys who are leaders on defense, and their defensive unit is not the same without them (Bob Sanders). But still you can't put the whole team load on a safteys shoulders. but I agree that having a hard hitting saftey doesn't make or break a team.



    Is everyone else getting really sick of the #7 spot? Its like your to late to draft what you really need (Calvin Johnson) and to early to draft the second best WR (Meachem).

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    Davike provided the key point as follows:

    But Purplexing, you can't really use the above safteys as examples. Sean Taylor is a good saftey, and he helps their defense, think of where they would be without him, he can't take the blame for his team not making the playoffs. There are some safteys who are leaders on defense, and their defensive unit is not the same without them (Bob Sanders). But still you can't put the whole team load on a safteys shoulders. but I agree that having a hard hitting saftey doesn't make or break a team.

    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

    So, if those 3 very good safeties couldn't help their team win it all, or weren't credited with doing so, it's safe to assume Landry wouldn't put the Vikings over the top, either.

    But people who are sooooooooooo adamant about drafting Landry think his impact will be greater than fixing the major weaknesses first.
    :


    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

  3. #23
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    So, if those 3 very good safeties couldn't help their team win it all, or weren't credited with doing so, it's safe to assume Landry wouldn't put the Vikings over the top, either.

    But people who are sooooooooooo adamant about drafting Landry think his impact will be greater than fixing the major weaknesses first.
     



    I think that the S position is a very important position, I think that if you have an amazing saftey that is the QB of your defense, it could make or break the defense if he is in or out (Sanders). And I think that Sanders did in fact help his team win it all. But there is not many safteys out there like Sanders. Landry could be another Sanders, but in the draft it is all a guessing game, I would rather try to patch up our most important needs before taking a chance with Landry. But I do believe that those three safteys would in fact help a team to a SB, they might not be a really big impact player, but they are pieces of the puzzle. So yes, I think that a saftey can help his team win a SB. I just don't think that they have the power to do it all by their selves. I definetly believe that Landy would not put us over the top. He may be part of the puzzle, but he wouldn't be the key, we have more important issues to address. I think drafting a solid playmaking WR would put the Vikings closer to a SB then Landry would.

    Besides if we were to draft a saftey, why did we sign Williams to another contract and not cut Smith, if we were to draft him we would probably try to open up a spot for him. Hmmm Smith, Williams, Sharper, Blue, Landry.....sounds like a pretty crowded saftey position with all of them fighting for more field time.

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  4. #24
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    16,013

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks. Greenway, James, and whoever we pick this year.

    In this years draft I think It would be great if we could select Laron Landry with the 7th pick, and then trade up to around 25 (it would cost us our second and third rounders) and then select Robert Meachem.


    What do you think?

    PS I think Ray Edwards can be a great player.

    Hate to say it but James=bust. Greenway, we'll see. Can we just get a playmaker this year at ANY position.

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  5. #25
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks. Greenway, James, and whoever we pick this year.

    In this years draft I think It would be great if we could select Laron Landry with the 7th pick, and then trade up to around 25 (it would cost us our second and third rounders) and then select Robert Meachem.


    What do you think?

    PS I think Ray Edwards can be a great player.

    Hate to say it but James=bust. Greenway, we'll see. Can we just get a playmaker this year at ANY position.
    The only reason I would believe that he is a bust is because of injuries. He stayed healthy long enough to show if he is a bust....this years injury was just because of scar tissue wasn't it? Hopefully he will stay healthy after this.

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  6. #26
    vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    459

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    If we were to do what I said and trade up for Meachem, I think we might have a trade partner in New Englend. profootballtalk.com has a one-liner that says that "The receiver-happy Pats could be caliente for Ohio State's Anthony Gonzalez." Since he will probably be there for our pick in the second round, they might be interested in getting an extra 3rd rounder.

  7. #27
    vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    459

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks. Greenway, James, and whoever we pick this year.

    In this years draft I think It would be great if we could select Laron Landry with the 7th pick, and then trade up to around 25 (it would cost us our second and third rounders) and then select Robert Meachem.


    What do you think?

    PS I think Ray Edwards can be a great player.

    Hate to say it but James=bust. Greenway, we'll see. Can we just get a playmaker this year at ANY position.
    How can you say that james is a bust? He got injured, it doesn't reflct his talent level, which is what makes someone a bust. Udeze is a bust.

  8. #28
    Nebvikefan is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    116

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    If we were to do what I said and trade up for Meachem, I think we might have a trade partner in New Englend. profootballtalk.com has a one-liner that says that "The receiver-happy Pats could be caliente for Ohio State's Anthony Gonzalez." Since he will probably be there for our pick in the second round, they might be interested in getting an extra 3rd rounder.
    I love the idea of getting Meachem and we could trade up to get him but i am not sure how the braintrust has valued the WRs.
    I heard the really like the LSU guys, Bowe and Davis and i know that Meachem is one of the players coming in for a visti but that could all be smokescreen.
    Meachem has awesome speed and pretty good hands and a lot of potential.
    I think of him as a Williamson with a lot better hands and a little bigger.
    Bowe on the other hand is a big, strong reciever with great hands and he has a knack for getting 1st downs.
    Davis is a lot like travis taylor but a little bigger.

    I was a big fan of Meachem and still am but i am starting to think Bowe would be better for our team.
    He is a 1st down machine with great hands and a body like a TE.
    He doesn't have great speed but he knows how to get open and he is strong.
    I think that would better suit the vikes.
    I also think we could get another receiver in the later rounds who is fast and has good hands like Jacoby Jones or the guy from UTEP.

    This is long and drawn out but what i am getting at with all of this is if the vikes trade up in the second or later in the 1st to get a WR, I am starting to want it to be Bowe.
    I am really starting to think he is the 2nd best receiver in the draft.
    "If you need two yards, I'll get you three.
    If you need five yards, I'll get you three.
    "-Leroy Hoard

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    I heard the really like the LSU guys, Bowe and Davis and i know that Meachem is one of the players coming in for a visti but that could all be smokescreen.
    I would suffice it to say that because of the whole T-will let down with respect to his ability to
    ;D CATCH THE FRICKING BALL
    ;D, any reciever they are interested in will probably be brought in for a complete workout (grilling) to make sure they make smart picks at that postion.

    Add to that the fact that they are "Building through the draft" and all picks are pretty valuable it might be a smoke screen but I doubt it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Draft/Roster thoughts
    By SoDakfan in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM
  2. New Thoughts on the Draft After FA
    By dcboardr41 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
  3. My thoughts on 2008 Draft
    By ajoyce in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
  4. My thoughts on the draft.
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
  5. Mock Draft- Thoughts Please!
    By PacMan21 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •