Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: My thoughts on the draft

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks. Greenway, James, and whoever we pick this year.

In this years draft I think It would be great if we could select Laron Landry with the 7th pick, and then trade up to around 25 (it would cost us our second and third rounders) and then select Robert Meachem.

What do you think?

PS I think Ray Edwards can be a great player.
    Problem is, that Meachem has been moving up many mock draft boards...he probably won't be there at #25!
    :'(
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

I think Meacham will go in the early teens.
    I would not be opposed to the vikes trading down to grab him but the compensation better be good if they are going to give up a shot at a blue chip player like adams or landry.

Nebvikefan is offline Rookie

"vikings11_27" wrote:
    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks.
    Greenway, James, and whoever we pick this year.

In this years draft I think It would be great if we could select Laron Landry with the 7th pick, and then trade up to around 25 (it would cost us our second and third rounders) and then select Robert Meachem.

What do you think?

I think that this post is 100% absolutely right.
    If i was in charge, this is exactly what i would do.
    I would have liked to trade down and still get Landry but that won't happen with Atlanta right behind us.
    I wouldn't mind getting Dwaine Bowe but i think Meachem is going to be a better receiver.
    Although, i think getting Landry is a MUST.
    It would help improve our secondary immediately!!
    "If you need two yards, I'll get you three.
    If you need five yards, I'll get you three.
    "-Leroy Hoard

"Nebvikefan" wrote:
    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks.

What do you think?

I would have liked to trade down and still get Landry but that won't happen with Atlanta right behind us.

I wouldn't mind getting Dwaine Bowe but i think Meachem is going to be a better receiver.

If your focus is improving the secondary, and your 'MUST' solution is Landry, you forgot other changes that are due to occur WITHOUT considering the impact of the draft.

Those FOUR key expected changes are:

1. EJames. The return from IR of EJames; not immediately, but eventually. Udeze was playing out of position last year, and with EJames' return, he will be able to return to his most effective side.
    EJames will return after a few games, or will be gradually worked into the lineup from game 1.

2. Greenway. The return of C.Greenway from IR; with a year of insight developed by being on IR but watching and waiting for his chance to return.
    He was noted to have good pass coverage skills and good speed.
    He will very likley be an upgrade over Harris, at MLB, or EJHenderson, at OLB, in terms of pass coverage skills.

3. D.Edwards. The return of Devonte Edwards from IR, as CB#2, or nickel CB.
    He has very good speed, which hopefully he will still have after rehab, so the CBs will include Winfield, Griffin, Edwards and ... Gordon or Whitaker.

4. T.Williams.
    The return of Tank Williams is, admittedly, the biggest uncertainty in the Vikings secondary.
    He was leading the competition at strong(?*) safety when he was injured in training camp last year.
    How well he recovered from his injury will determine
    his effectiveness, but if it is close to how well he performed in last year's training camp, he will challenge D.Smith to start.

* - the distinction between FS and SS was insignificant in the Tomlin version of the TBC2 last year.

Due to anticipated changes 1-4 above, the Vikings pass defense will most likely improve over last year without an influx of new roster players.
    Thus, the need for an upgrade at safety will be insignificant relative to the need to improve the passing offense with several WRs and/ or an upgrade at QB.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

I'm torn about this draft. I would LOVE to trade up to get Calvin Johnson, but that seems unlikely. I was anti-Quinn at first, but I can't help but start to think that might not be so bad. As for taking a DE... we got James returning, and Ray Edwards could be good, plus Udeze was a first round pick... And I'm not that hot about taking a DB. Maybe we could trade down, get a good receiver like Ginn, Jarret, someone like that, and get a couple more picks with which we could strenghthen the line and secondary
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:
    "vikings11_27" wrote:

What do you think?

If your focus is improving the secondary, and your 'MUST' solution is Landry, you forgot other changes that are due to occur WITHOUT considering the impact of the draft.

Those FOUR key expected changes are:

1. EJames. The return from IR of EJames; not immediately, but eventually. Udeze was playing out of position last year, and with EJames' return, he will be able to return to his most effective side.
    EJames will return after a few games, or will be gradually worked into the lineup from game 1.

2. Greenway. The return of C.Greenway from IR; with a year of insight developed by being on IR but watching and waiting for his chance to return.
    He was noted to have good pass coverage skills and good speed.
    He will very likley be an upgrade over Harris, at MLB, or EJHenderson, at OLB, in terms of pass coverage skills.

3. D.Edwards. The return of Devonte Edwards from IR, as CB#2, or nickel CB.
    He has very good speed, which hopefully he will still have after rehab, so the CBs will include Winfield, Griffin, Edwards and ... Gordon or Whitaker.

4. T.Williams.
    The return of Tank Williams is, admittedly, the biggest uncertainty in the Vikings secondary.
    He was leading the competition at strong(?*) safety when he was injured in training camp last year.
    How well he recovered from his injury will determine

his effectiveness, but if it is close to how well he performed in last year's training camp, he will challenge D.Smith to start.

* - the distinction between FS and SS was insignificant in the Tomlin version of the TBC2 last year.

Due to anticipated changes 1-4 above, the Vikings pass defense will most likely improve over last year without an influx of new roster players.
    Thus, the need for an upgrade at safety will be insignificant relative to the need to improve the passing offense with several WRs and/ or an upgrade at QB.

I agree that this year the vikings secondary SHOULD be better and more improved with the addition of EJames eventually, and Greenway who is a decent cover linebacker.
    I also think that Coach Frazier will help out A LOT.

But what i meant by helping the secondary was a general term.
    I mean we can't be any worse this year then we were last year right? lol.
    I think he is such a stud and at the #7 spot he is perfect.
    He is a hard hitter and he can cover and make up ground well.
    I read he isn't as fluid and a ball hawk like Nelson but we already have a ball hawk in Sharper.
    I also read on Rotoworld that he hasn't had a TD scored on him in college!!!!
    Is that even possible?
    If that is even half true, then i would pick him in a second.
    He is probably the most NFL ready of anyone on defense coming out of the draft in my opinion.
    Think about he and Sharper teamed up together.
    Landry shutting down the whole secondary while Sharper is free to do his interception thing.
    I think he is going to have the impact in the secondary that Polamalu and Reed have.
    What do you think?
    "-Leroy Hoard

"farvathevikinglover" wrote:
    I'm torn about this draft. I would LOVE to trade up to get Calvin Johnson, but that seems unlikely. I was anti-Quinn at first, but I can't help but start to think that might not be so bad. As for taking a DE... we got James returning, and Ray Edwards could be good, plus Udeze was a first round pick... And I'm not that hot about taking a DB. Maybe we could trade down, get a good receiver like Ginn, Jarret, someone like that, and get a couple more picks with which we could strenghthen the line and secondary
    I agree that if we don't have a chance for Landry or Gaines that we should move down in the draft.
    As far as WR go, I am not a big fan or Ginn but i do like Jarrett.
    I would rathar the vikes pick up Bowe, Meachem, or Rice if they can do it.

I think they can get Rice in the Second round but i also want them to get Steve Smith and i don't think they can do both.
    What do you think?
    "-Leroy Hoard

OK, I'll take a different tack on the Landry option at #7.

Why is Landry needed at #7 when Tank Williams returns to join Sharper, Blue and D.Smith as safeties?

'Hitting hard' is for highlight reels.
    That only occurs in 5% or less of plays from scrimmage.
    'Hitting hard' occassionally jars a ball free, resulting in an incompletion, or a fumble.
    A safety needs to cover, tackle and read the formation and pass patterns developing in front of him.
    There is no guarantee that a collegiate safety will adapt to the pro game quickly, if at all.

The Vikings have a severe deficiency of WRs which they need to address with at least 1, if not 2, first day draft selections.
    Drafting a safety doesn't result in the same improvement in the pass defense, after considering the 4 defensive players returning from IR, as does the improvement resulting from adding a top WR or QB in round 1.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

"Purplexing" wrote:
    OK, I'll take a different tack on the Landry option at #7.

Why is Landry needed at #7 when Tank Williams returns to join Sharper, Blue and D.Smith as safeties?

'Hitting hard' is for highlight reels.
    That only occurs in 5% or less of plays from scrimmage.
    'Hitting hard' occassionally jars a ball free, resulting in an incompletion, or a fumble.
    A safety needs to cover, tackle and read the formation and pass patterns developing in front of him.
    There is no guarantee that a collegiate safety will adapt to the pro game quickly, if at all.

The Vikings have a severe deficiency of WRs which they need to address with at least 1, if not 2, first day draft selections.
    Drafting a safety doesn't result in the same improvement in the pass defense, after considering the 4 defensive players returning from IR, as does the improvement resulting from adding a top WR or QB in round 1.

I agree that WR is more of a need then S right now for the Vikes but i don't think there is one worth taking at #7 other than Johnson and he won't be there that long.
    We could move down and get more pics and then pick up a WR but i think we can get quality WRs of the same calibur in the 2nd and 3rd round.

As far as Williams at S, we still don't know what we have with him.
    Landry is a far better upgrade in my opinion then blue, and D Smith.
    The reason for a hard hitting safety is that he is comfortable coming up in run blitzes and when he tackles he leaves an impression on the WR catching the ball.
    It isn't a must to have a hard hitting S but it is something to look for when you are a run stopping team like we are.
    Also our secondary needs to develop a swagger and some confidence and i think his style is perfect to make that happen.

If you look at the bust ratio at first round pics, especially the last couple of years, the safety postion has been the most reasuring.
    Also Landry is one out of all the defenders that EVERYBODY is calling a ready made player for the NFL.
    That may not be the case but i think he could step right in with the veteren leadership we have and dominate.
    "-Leroy Hoard

IIRC, Tank Williams is a hard hitting safety.

IIRC, Washington took Sean Taylor, another hard hitting safety, and they haven't gotten anywhere near the playoffs lately.

IIRC, Adam Archuletta was a top prospect at safety when he was drafted, but he did very little to improve the Rams defense, and that team won a SB based on Kurt Warner, their WRs, M.Faulk, and not their defense.

I would prefer the Vikings select at 7 either a WR or QB, both of which would likely improve their passing attack.
    As I said before, four players on defense who were on IR, who will return this year, will improve the pass defense, so a rookie safety will have less impact than a rookie QB or WR taken at 7.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast