Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1
    vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    459

    My thoughts on the draft

    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks. Greenway, James, and whoever we pick this year.

    In this years draft I think It would be great if we could select Laron Landry with the 7th pick, and then trade up to around 25 (it would cost us our second and third rounders) and then select Robert Meachem.


    What do you think?

    PS I think Ray Edwards can be a great player.

  2. #2
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    I agree that we will have some improvement this year because Greenway and James will be back.
    However, the odds are we will get hit by the injury bug again at least once this season.
    It is a part of football.

    Why Landry?
    He is a very good player (and probably a top ten pick), but I don't know if safety is our biggest need.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    My thoughts?

    I think the return of Devonte Edwards is also like an extra draft pick.
    But he is one year older than Greenway, and two(?) years older than James.

    No need to draft a safety; Blue and D.Smith are fine subs for Sharper and TWilliams

    One option that makes sense, after taking Quinn or Thomas, if either are available, is taking a DE at 7.
    Then, one of the DEs currently on the roster might be traded to move up in rd 2 or 3, rather than lose another draft pick to move up.
    The reason is that one of the DEs would be expendable.
    Keeping the draft pick rather than a roster DE gives more flexibility in improving the roster; e.g add another WR.
    Alternately, a trade of a vet DE for a vet WR could be made after the draft.







    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

  4. #4
    vike_mike's Avatar
    vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    474

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    Now that makes sense.

  5. #5
    davike's Avatar
    davike is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,750

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks. Greenway, James, and whoever we pick this year.

    In this years draft I think It would be great if we could select Laron Landry with the 7th pick, and then trade up to around 25 (it would cost us our second and third rounders) and then select Robert Meachem.


    What do you think?

    PS I think Ray Edwards can be a great player.
    We have Blue, Sharper, Smith, Williams all in there at S, They will all compete for time. I really doubt that we would take another Saftey to compete for the 2 starting jobs, I would say we would trade down rather then take Landry. Plus we signed another S earlier for more depth, and we may sign others off the squad, I think we are solid at that position.

    But I wouldn't mind taking Meachem in the least. I think he is one of the most complete WR in the draft other then Johnson.

    Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

  6. #6
    thepacksux's Avatar
    thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    580

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    I dont believe they are going to draft for need in this draft.
    (other than a receiver at some point of course)
    A rebuilding team drafts the BPA no matter the position.
    A safety would not be a mistake in this draft especially if its landry at 7.
    This guy would be a great addition to this team.
    Also remember that Tank has the size to move to linebacker in passing situations which gives them some flexibility with extra safeties on the team.

  7. #7
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,576

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    in the top 10 i sense you need to draft the best player on the board no matter where he plays. if the player is actually as good as he should be, than he is starting no matter what.
    We're bringing purple back.

  8. #8
    vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    459

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    "davike" wrote:
    "vikings11_27" wrote:
    First of all, I think we will do better than expected this year, because we basically have 3 first round picks. Greenway, James, and whoever we pick this year.

    In this years draft I think It would be great if we could select Laron Landry with the 7th pick, and then trade up to around 25 (it would cost us our second and third rounders) and then select Robert Meachem.


    What do you think?

    PS I think Ray Edwards can be a great player.
    We have Blue, Sharper, Smith, Williams all in there at S, They will all compete for time. I really doubt that we would take another Saftey to compete for the 2 starting jobs, I would say we would trade down rather then take Landry. Plus we signed another S earlier for more depth, and we may sign others off the squad, I think we are solid at that position.

    But I wouldn't mind taking Meachem in the least. I think he is one of the most complete WR in the draft other then Johnson.
    You know what they say, when you have a lot, you probably have nothing. We have a bunch of okay guys and one aging former superstar. This is most likely Sharper's last year, Dwight smith could be our nickel corner, tank williams cant stay healthy, and I think blue can take over for sharper next year.

    Also, like some otehrs said, when you are drafting this high, you take the best player availiable, and this guy is a beast. He's a great hitter and run defender, and he has elite speed, faster than most corners in the draft. So if we can have a superstar in the defensive backfield for thenext 10 years, why wouldnt we jump at the chance.

  9. #9
    VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,433

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    Yeah, you can't really count on Dwight Smith/Tank Williams/Greg Blue.
    They are too average/too injury prone/too young.
    Sharper is good but getting a little old.
    If this team is serious about only thinking about the long term then they could very easily go after Landry because we are a year away from Safety being a bigg issue.


    On the other side, we could draft a guy later in the draft because he won't need to start this year and could just learn from a few veterans.

    Really, since Joe Thomas and Calvin Johnson aren't going to be there (and even thinking about drafting Brady Quinn is extremely dumb), if we stay at #7 we aren't going to get a guy that is going to make the most impact.
    We are aare solid at pretty much every position but WR.
    That our only glaring need.
    Yeah, we could use a Safety (2nd round?), Right OLman (second day?), Defensive End (3-4th round?), Nickel CB (3-4th Round), and maybe even a young defensive tackle (second day?).
    But because they aren't glaring needs we can wait on them.

    So, if we aren't going to trade back to a reasonable slot to pick-up a WR, we basically just have to take the Best Player Available (That isn't Brady Quinn). LaRon Landry is great and Gaines Adams is great, we'll just have to see who is there.
    We'll probably be surprised!
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: My thoughts on the draft

    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    Yeah, you can't really count on Dwight Smith/Tank Williams/Greg Blue.
    They are too average/too injury prone/too young.
    Sharper is good but getting a little old.
    If this team is serious about only thinking about the long term then they could very easily go after Landry because we are a year away from Safety being a bigg issue.


    On the other side, we could draft a guy later in the draft because he won't need to start this year and could just learn from a few veterans.

    Really, since Joe Thomas and Calvin Johnson aren't going to be there (and even thinking about drafting Brady Quinn is extremely dumb), if we stay at #7 we aren't going to get a guy that is going to make the most impact.
    We are aare solid at pretty much every position but WR.
    That our only glaring need.
    Yeah, we could use a Safety (2nd round?), Right OLman (second day?), Defensive End (3-4th round?), Nickel CB (3-4th Round), and maybe even a young defensive tackle (second day?).
    But because they aren't glaring needs we can wait on them.

    So, if we aren't going to trade back to a reasonable slot to pick-up a WR, we basically just have to take the Best Player Available (That isn't Brady Quinn). LaRon Landry is great and Gaines Adams is great, we'll just have to see who is there.
    We'll probably be surprised!
    Great post.

    I would also consider this guy at 7 also.

    Quote
    Anderson is a former wide receiver that made a smooth transition to defensive end. As a freshman reserve, he was in on 18 tackles. As a sophomore, he was in the rotation, and started the last five games of the year after an injury, and he has taken off from that point. He had 47 tackles, 10.5 for loss, and four sacks that season. Anderson blew up as a junior, finishing with 65 tackles, 19.5 for loss, and 13.5 sacks.

    Jamaal Anderson is an absolute freak physically. Not only is he an excellent athlete, with great quickness and agility, but he has great size as well. He is a difference maker off the edge as a pass rusher. He dominated as a junior, and still has a ton of untapped potential. He could be an all around force at the next level.

    Anderson is still adjusting to playing in the trenches, and is still a work in progress. He has been able to get by on his tremendous physical ability, but he will not be able to rely on that alone in the NFL. He declared after his junior year, only having about a season and a half of starting experience under his belt.

    Anderson has the size and talent that will draw comparisons to Mario Williams and Julius Peppers, and he carries a great deal of upside at the next level. He could really put on a show in workouts and has a shot to be the first defensive end selected. He may need a little time to become the force many expect, but if a team is patient, he could be special.
    Unqoute


    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Draft/Roster thoughts
    By SoDakfan in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 07:24 PM
  2. New Thoughts on the Draft After FA
    By dcboardr41 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM
  3. My thoughts on 2008 Draft
    By ajoyce in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
  4. My thoughts on the draft.
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
  5. Mock Draft- Thoughts Please!
    By PacMan21 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 01-20-2007, 12:27 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •