Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My take and updates please!

Ok, now I'm back after my vacation I've been trying to catch up on things Purple, so here's my belated views on things..

Draft
    Chad Greenway - good pick and I'm glad that Sims was off the board as I was having some doubts over him following the issue of concussions that was surfacing before the draft. Different quotes I've seen about him and from him give me reason to be optimistic about this choice - look forward to seeing how he looks in Training Camp and how that transitions to the regular season.

Cedric Griffin - always good to see some depth added at the DB slot and someone who can play CB or Safety could be a big plus.Classed as being a physical and agressive presence, so could help bring a little more swagger to the Vikes D which would not go amiss.

Ryan Cook - interesting choice and seems to have upset some fans with the slot he was taken at. I can see him being moved out to Tackle though will be the first choice backup to Birk. Potentially a good player which is needed with the OL rebuilding that is going on.

Tarvaris Jackson - now this has definitely had a few people groaning after jackson was taken earlier than expected. The biggest that I have seen against him is that he plays at a small school. In my view it doesn't matter where you play, If you have the ability then it will show up regardless of what level of competition you play against. Of course better competition will improve you and add to experience but that won't stop a good player coming forward if he has what it takes. At present the Vikes think he has the ability and I'm happy to go along with that.

Ray Edwards - well defensive line is one of our better positions on the team but at this stage of the year the extra depth is always welcome. Maybe the Vikes have an eye on bringing him along as a situational pass-rusher now that Lance Jonhston has gone back to the Raiders. One of those picks to file under " time will tell "

Greg Blue - seems to classed more as a run stuffer than being good in pass coverage. May be a good ST player but could see playing time on obvious running plays.

In all an interesting draft from the Vikes and certainly didn't pan out as many were expecting. Time will tell over the Jackson pick - given that Clemons, Croyle and Jacobs were still available to the Vikes in the second round then it could be considered a reach or an inspired pick by the team. If things don't work out then the blame will be put the way of Fran Foley I'm sure ..

Speaking of which can someone give me a brief rundown of what has happened with Foley? Some articles I have read say that he's been given the boot for clashes within the organisation, some mention his embellished resume being the cause and I also saw mention regarding some inappropriate comments regarding Tarvaris Jackson.
    So anyone have some more definite info on this ?

Also anything else being going on that I should know about ?

Skol!
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: My take and updates please!

"AngloVike" wrote:
    Speaking of which can someone give me a brief rundown of what has happened with Foley? Some articles I have read say that he's been given the boot for clashes within the organisation, some mention his embellished resume being the cause and I also saw mention regarding some inappropriate comments regarding Tarvaris Jackson.

Also anything else being going on that I should know about ?
    I don't think there are anyone who know definite why they decided to can Foley, it has been mostly speculation up to this point. But the best theories - imo - is that he were trying to take a dictatorial grasp at part of the organisation, which weren't liked by key members of the staff, or that something happened in the draft that were not intended/went in another direktion than some key people wanted it to.

Other things to be noted is some of the UDFA brought in after the draft were concluded. The most notable of those:

RB Wendell Mathis (Fresno State)
    CB Charles Gordon (Kansas)
    RB Taurean Henderson (Texas Tech)
    WR Hank Baskett III (New Mexico)

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Hope you had a good vacation Anglo!

"AngloVike" wrote:

Ryan Cook - interesting choice and seems to have upset some fans with the slot he was taken at. I can see him being moved out to Tackle though will be the first choice backup to Birk. Potentially a good player which is needed with the OL rebuilding that is going on.
    It was just a shock that some of the QB's that were projected to go to the Vikes were still available and a LB from Iowa Abdul Hodge were still on the board and the Vikes take a center that was projected as a second day pick that should have gone in the 5th to 6th round was taken.

Tarvaris Jackson - now this has definitely had a few people groaning after jackson was taken earlier than expected. The biggest that I have seen against him is that he plays at a small school. In my view it doesn't matter where you play, If you have the ability then it will show up regardless of what level of competition you play against. Of course better competition will improve you and add to experience but that won't stop a good player coming forward if he has what it takes. At present the Vikes think he has the ability and I'm happy to go along with that.
    After the Vikes took Cook they move up, giving up both 3rd rounders and they select a QB that was not expected to go until the 6th or 7th round or as an undrafted FA.

It just was such a bizarre turn of events as the drafted good value with their 1st 2 picks and then went haywire with these next 2 picks.

Ray Edwards - well defensive line is one of our better positions on the team but at this stage of the year the extra depth is always welcome. Maybe the Vikes have an eye on bringing him along as a situational pass-rusher now that Lance Jonhston has gone back to the Raiders. One of those picks to file under " time will tell "
    He was drafted as a situational pass rusher and he has good talent but had problems with the coaching staff at Michigan State and an attitude problem.
    Hopefully the Vikes can get his head straight because before the start of the 2005 college season he was concidered one of the best D-lineman in the Big Ten conference if not the best.

Greg Blue - seems to classed more as a run stuffer than being good in pass coverage. May be a good ST player but could see playing time on obvious running plays.
    He could end up as a LB after this year or as a big hitting FS like Tank.

There is an unsubstantiated report from MR Cheer Or Die that the Vikings were going to draft Clemens in the second round, and that the Jets moved up between our picks and sniped him. That Studwell wanted to take Clemens with the 48th pick and Foley wanted to wait until the 51st pick and that Foley and Studwell got into a shouting match and that Foley was trying to bully everybody in the warroom.

Speculation from a few people that I value their opinions is that Foley picked Cook with the 51st pick to show everybody that he was in charge and took the guy he wanted. And that Childress made Foley move up to get Jackson because he lost one QB that he wanted, and did not want to lose another one.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

6-KINGS Guest

We just plain got bent over and owned in this years draft.

I will just pretend we didn't have a draft.

Jackson with that pick OMG!!!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the updates guys - and yes I did have a good vacation thanks !
    Must say that I was surprised with the choice of QB but assumed that there were some very good reasons for it ... sounds like there may have been some big issues in the War Room that day. Having said that it sounds as if Childress was still pretty high on Jackson anyway considering that other more touted QB's were available. Still we shall see - he may yet surprise us !

Blog Entries

Thanks for the updates guys - and yes I did have a good vacation thanks !
    Must say that I was surprised with the choice of QB but assumed that there were some very good reasons for it ... sounds like there may have been some big issues in the War Room that day. Having said that it sounds as if Childress was still pretty high on Jackson anyway considering that other more touted QB's were available. Still we shall see - he may yet surprise us !

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    Hope you had a good vacation Anglo!

"AngloVike" wrote:

It was just a shock that some of the QB's that were projected to go to the Vikes were still available and a LB from Iowa Abdul Hodge were still on the board and the Vikes take a center that was projected as a second day pick that should have gone in the 5th to 6th round was taken.

After the Vikes took Cook they move up, giving up both 3rd rounders and they select a QB that was not expected to go until the 6th or 7th round or as an undrafted FA.

It just was such a bizarre turn of events as the drafted good value with their 1st 2 picks and then went haywire with these next 2 picks.

He was drafted as a situational pass rusher and he has good talent but had problems with the coaching staff at Michigan State and an attitude problem.
    Hopefully the Vikes can get his head straight because before the start of the 2005 college season he was concidered one of the best D-lineman in the Big Ten conference if not the best.

He could end up as a LB after this year or as a big hitting FS like Tank.

There is an unsubstantiated report from MR Cheer Or Die that the Vikings were going to draft Clemens in the second round, and that the Jets moved up between our picks and sniped him. That Studwell wanted to take Clemens with the 48th pick and Foley wanted to wait until the 51st pick and that Foley and Studwell got into a shouting match and that Foley was trying to bully everybody in the warroom.

Speculation from a few people that I value their opinions is that Foley picked Cook with the 51st pick to show everybody that he was in charge and took the guy he wanted. And that Childress made Foley move up to get Jackson because he lost one QB that he wanted, and did not want to lose another one.
    Thank God we got rid of that IDIOT!!!! He RUINED our draft!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"6-KINGS" wrote:

Courtesy of Fran "Fat Bastage" Foley!!! Thank God he's gone!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:

But was the severance of Foley fast enough to help us this year?

I like Tarvaris Jackson. With some good coaching he will make a good QB. Maybe not this year, but soon.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "6-KINGS" wrote:

I heard today on NPR that George Bush is picking Foley to be his new secretary of commerce due to the 4 years Fran spent running Exxon/Mobil in the late 90s.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast