Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: my rant on our off season hopes

I have to say that I was very angry that we took TJ with all the QBs available last year in the draft.
    Having said that there is nothing we can do about it now.
    So we have a talented QB that has a lot to learn, sounds familiar.
    I do think we need to give TJ more time than one two games.
    There is a learning curve and very few shine in their first year.
    He has even more to learn coming from a small school.

Hearing all the excuses for TJ makes me angry too.
    The same people making excuses for TJ are the same ones calling for BJ head.
    When Brad was in there he couldn't move the ball and he was making bad decisions.
    As soon as TJ gets in there it's the WR fault, the line doesn't block or gets a penalty to kill a drive, or the play calling sucks!
    Well, I've got news for you, those are all valid excuses for BJ too.

I am sure the people who said Brad suppporters should be eating crow are very quiet right about now.
    Not that I would say they should be eating crow because that sounds as if I am happy TJ didn't do well.
    But maybe they will wait a little longer before they start mouthing off again.
    Let's hope TJ can come back next year and excel because we don't have many options at this point.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

As for huard why would we go and get another freakin old guy, welcome back dennis green with the quarterback carousel, shuffling through a new old guy every year.
    What happens, Good Lord Forbid, if TJ goes down.
    You want to put your playoff hopes on what we have for a BACKUP?

Oldest Cliche' in the book, Gotta have two QB's these days.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    I have to say that I was very angry that we took TJ with all the QBs available last year in the draft.

When Brad was in there he couldn't move the ball and he was making bad decisions.
    As soon as TJ gets in there it's the WR fault, the line doesn't block or gets a penalty to kill a drive, or the play calling sucks!

I am sure the people who said Brad suppporters should be eating crow are very quiet right about now.
    Not that I would say they should be eating crow because that sounds as if I am happy TJ didn't do well.
    Let's hope TJ can come back next year and excel because we don't have many options at this point.

that is probably the smartest post i've read so far. Even if im still in favor of getting a new qb your still right about everything in that post
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

Del Rio Guest

"Marrdro" wrote:
    As for huard why would we go and get another freakin old guy, welcome back dennis green with the quarterback carousel, shuffling through a new old guy every year.
    What happens, Good Lord Forbid, if TJ goes down.
    You want to put your playoff hopes on what we have for a BACKUP?

Oldest Cliche' in the book, Gotta have two QB's these days.
    last time I looked we had 3

Del Rio Guest

"tarkenton10" wrote:

that is probably the dumbest post i've read so far. Even if im still in favor of getting a new qb your still wrong about everything in that post.

Just wanted to keep you grounded Tark
    ;D

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

1) Hope
    As far as our hopes, I love the way the ball looks coming out of TJs hand.
    It looks like it is floating, but it is traveling at MACH 1.

He might be eating the turf 25 times a game next season, but his passes will look sweet when he has a chance to release the ball.

I like the D-2 Ticket called TJ, can't base that on his play so far, only on HOPE.

2) Comparisons

Obscure QBs (not popular or from not so popular schools)

a.) QBs currently in the NFL.
    Brady wasn't good enough to start at D-1 - SuperBowl MVP
    Romo was D-2 if I remember correctly, Eastern Illinois
    Warner - Northern Iowa - SuperBowl MVP
    McNair - Alcorn State - SuperBowl
    DelHomme - La.-Lafayette - SuperBowl

b.) QBs formerly in the NFL.
    Doug Williams is the only one that comes to me at this time, won the SuperBowl for the redskins, came from Grambling State, the same SWAC that TJ came from.
    Not a great argument but it is a fact.

3) D-1 vs D-2 mentality or David vs Goliath
    If it really matter that you have a D-1 QB:
    Don't forget that TJ was a D-1 QB at Arkansas.
    He was a medical redshirt his first year, realized that he wasn't going to get playing time because Matt Jones was going to be the "coach's" guy.
    So instead of transferring to another D-1 school (he would have had to sit out a year?) and making his college career 6 years long he went to a D-2 school.
    He went where he could play and learn.

http://www.vikings.com/player_detail_objectname_Tarvaris_Jackson.html

4) Daunte Argument?
    Using Daunte as a basis against D-2 school QBs is not a good argument because anyone that had a year like he did in 2004 deserves to be in the NFL.
    IMHO!!!!!!!!!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Thank you Del - I can always count on you to make a well thought out and yet concerned response.
    Thank you for taking the time to think a bout my welfare, I only hope that someday I can return the favor and hopefully make you a more well rounded person!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:
    The problem
    It wasn't Johnson’s fault. I always hated the stupid 2nd round draft choice since the beginning. I really did try to stay optimistic from my first blog but it didn’t last. Everyone loved him though. That he’s what the team needs. They were looking for Daunte Culpepper who I never liked either. He is a even crappier version of him who didn’t seem too mobile against the nfl linebackers because everyone in the nfl is as good and better then the best in your division 2 school. Green Bay gave him a little welcome to the NFL greeting. In green bay they talk about how different it would have been if Troy made that catch downfield. He practically had to do the limbo while outrunning the cornerback for the ball to hit his shoulder! Put the ball a few feet in front of him and that’s 6. That’s the deep ball he supposedly can throw.
    Oh the veteran Brad Johnson sucks let’s put in this 3rd string, division 2 quarterback from a crappy school. He's more quote "mobile" then Johnson. Oh it was all his fault. He couldn't throw it long. He throws before the first down marker on 3rd down. He can’t scramble or move from the pocket.
    Then Tavaris Jackson gets in there and suddenly everyone else gets worse supposedly, say the fans, and when he stinks it up worst then Johnson its the wide receivers who can't catch a ball, oh it's the offensive line not holding a block long enough and the play calling from Childress that every thing got worst when T. Jackson got in. Brad Johnson had to deal with the same crap except he took all the heat for all of it and idiot fans blamed him and it got to brad Childress. It was a bad move.

Hope in Childress
    My only hope I have is that Brad Childress was just giving Tavaris Jackson two games of experience so next year he'll know what to expect from the nfl or a heck of a lot better something that wouldn’t include TJack he wanted to see for himself if this so called prodigy is really as good as the fans say. Then he could see if he needs a new qb for the off season (Which he probably figured out he does). The bad though is either way he gave up on the season which held playoff hopes which was wrong If we had played Brad Johnson and if we could have won those last two games gone 8-8 and gone to the playoffs.

Never give up on playoff hopes
    And this is how. We beat the tiebreaker with NYG who went 8-8 because they lost to Seattle, We beat Atlanta even if they did happen to beat Phily but they went 7-9, because our NFC conference record was better and we win the their tiebreaker. We beat the Carolina Panthers. We could have beat St. Louis so that would make them 7-9. SF lost to Arizona so they went 7-9. Green Bay would have gone 7-9 too if we got some frickin’ first down and burned clock with brad and won the GB game. So we would have beat everyone for the tiebreaker if they did go 8-8, except San Francisco and Dallas but SF went 7-9 and Dallas can go in with us but the only team that did was NYG who we beat in tiebreaker. The only team we don't beat was Dallas for the wild card so we would have gotten the number 2 spot and once you get to the playoff who cares what you did in the regular season none of that matters. You have to win out just like the 14-2 team next to you.

Next year’s looks hopeful
    Childress didn't see our playoff hopes. So now Childress knows this guys sucks so he got to get a qb and a wr target. All Donavon McNabb (PHI), Michael Vick(ATL), Jeff Garcia(PHI) and
    Matt Shaub (ATL) say they aren't going to settle for 2nd string. They all are 1st string material obviously. So two of those four say they’ll go free agent, probably Matt Shaub and Jeff Garcia, so one of those would be a lot better then now and with a seventh pick we can go for one of the top 3 draft WR in the draft to give that guy a target. There's Teddy Ginn Jr., the electrifying #7, who can return kicks which we need from the Ohio St. Buckeyes, Calvin Johnson from Georgia Tech, or Dwayne Jarret from the USC Trojans. And most the picks in front of us don't really need a WR so at least two of the three WR will remain for our pick. We get a coach in a couple years after Childress proves himself one way or another and we got ourselves a super bowl team because the WR will develop and our qb will as well and then everything will start looking up.

Blah, Blah, Blah

Garcia is not going to make us better, he walked into the number 1 offense in the NFL when McNabb went down, as bad as the Viking's offense was last year what makes you think he will do better than he did in Cleveland in 2004 (benched) or Detroit last year when he couldn't bet out Joey Harrington?
    And he is going to be 37 years old next year!

Schaub is unproven after 3 years in the league and will cost a 1st and 3rd round pick and 8 million a year, not going to happen!

McNabb not going anywhere and the same with Vick!

And Johnson did suck and you are ridiculous if you thought his play was good, he wasn't a rookie learning he was a 14 year veteran that played like dog crap and that is that!

Prove to me how well Johnson played!
    Come on show me how he was playing sound football!

You never liked the pick of Jackson in the 2nd round, who did you want?
    Lets look at some of the QB's after the big 3 where taken because we were never going to move up and take one of them.

Kellen Clemens was draft 49, ahead of T-Jack and was not available.

got in 2 games 1 attempt 0 completions

Brodie Croyle

2 games 7 attempts
    3 completions
    2 INT's
    0 TD's

Charlie Whitehurst

2 games
    0 attempts

Omar Jacobs
    Pitt drafted him and he couldn't make the team they cut him, and Philly picked him up and put him on their practice squad.

So where were these great QB's you wanted?

Let's look at Vince Young rookie of the year

Vince Young
    2006 regular season 1st 9 games played

game 1:

3 out of 4 passing

27 yards

1 INT
    (loss)

game 2:

7 for 20 passing

106 yards

1 TD
    2 fumbles
    (loss)

game 3:

14 of 29
    passing
    155 yards

1 TD
    2 INT's
    2 fumbles
    (loss)

game 4:

10 of 21 passing

63 yards

1 INT

(loss)

game 5:

13 of 25 passing

161 yards

1 TD

1 fumble
    (won)

game 6:

7 of 15 passing

87 yards

1 TD

(won)

game 7:

15 of 36 passing

163 yards

1 TD

3 INT's

1 fumble
    (loss)

game 8:

13 of 25 passing

211 yards

1 INT

(loss)

game 9:

8 of 22 passing

101 yards

1 TD

1 fumble

(won)

3 and 6 in 1st 9 games he played in.

Season stats
    184 of 357 passing

51.5% completion ratio

2,199 yards
    12 TD's
    13 INT's 12 fumbles

Titans didn't give up on Vince after these 9 disasters!

T-Jack stats 4 games he played in
    47 of 81 passing
    completion ratio 58%
    475 yards passing
    2 TD's
    4 INT's

Vince's 1st 4 games
    34 of 99 passing
    completion ratio 34%
    351 yards passing
    2 TD's
    4 INT's

T-Jack had better numbers than Vince Young in their 1st 4 games

Blah, Blah, Blah
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"tarkenton10" wrote:

1.) Brad's arm stinks, he had WR's dropping passes left and right and all the other stuff that TJ had going on also, O-line, penalties, etc.

2.) Difficult to get behind BJ when he doesn't represent the future, it lacks HOPE.
    It is duct tape at best, even though there is nothing wrong with duct tape according to the "High Life."

3.) Crow can't be fed for a while.
    Like you said, it will take time to let TJ play out and then we will know.

4.) How angry are you (we) going to be this year when the triangle* pulls out another lame pick that is UNPOPULAR with the fans?

* I heard there is a motion amongst the triangle to call themselves the Rubic's Cube, it sound more complicated and impressive that way.

Del Rio Guest

"snowinapril" wrote:
    2) Comparisons

Obscure QBs (not popular or from not so popular schools)

a.) QBs currently in the NFL.
    Brady wasn't good enough to start at D-1 - SuperBowl MVP
    Romo was D-2 if I remember correctly, Eastern Illinois
    Warner - Northern Iowa - SuperBowl MVP
    McNair - Alcorn State - SuperBowl
    DelHomme - La.-Lafayette - SuperBowl

I don't know about all that, Brady was stuck playing behind Brian Greise at the University of Michigan, he considered transfering much like you mentioned Tarvaris did do, but he stuck it out an he lead the University of Michigan to an Orange Bowl victory putting up big time numbers. In the bowl alone he had 369 Yards and 4Tds, and he did in fact start he beat out Drew Henson for the starting position in his senior year I believe. So yes he did manage to start and find success in winning the Orange Bowl in a Div 1 A school.

Romo did play Div-I AA ball. He also had many school and conference records. Not to mention he won the Walter Payton award and managed to throw for over 3418 yards in his senior season.

Warner is an odd story. He did play college ball and did ok. He managed to play a while in the Arena leagues winning a few awards, and then he was a backup behind a very good Qb in trent green. Point is he didn't get drafted into the NFL, he was involved in football for many years after college before getting his shot even got time behind a good NFL QB. He worked his way up the latter. Who is to say if he gets drafted immediately out of college he misses out on the learning he gained in Arena and other clinics and turns into nothing? Just a strange story.

McNair is my favorite, I love when people bring him up when discussing Div I-AA football. First of all he was heavily recruited by Div1A except no one would guarantee him a QB position so he chose to go somewhere else. Now when a DivI-A caliber player decides to go to a Div I AA football program I would assume they would really put some some solid numbers and bring home some awards some team bling...... Mcnair did that and then some. He had huge years in passing managing over 6000 total yards in one season 4000 of those passing. He was also the first EVER Div I AA QB to be considered for the Heisman in the top 3. His name and TJ's name should probably not even be mentioned in the same sentence.

Delhomme.... played for a Div 1 A team, so he was playing against some good competition in the BWC conf. Other then that I guess you have a valid argument he is a relatively unknown.

My thing is you were in a DIV 1 A school and you chose to go to a different school so you could play. Now that the level of competition is worse wouldn't you think you would be totally dominant? McNair was totally dominant. Tarvaris? I personally do not think so.

All that being said I see what you are saying.

I am not sold on the guy, but he deserves a solid shot, I also have a feeling that as long as Childress is head coach this guy is going to be our QB. He is hanging his hat on TJ and so as Vikings fans love him or hate him I think TJ is here to stay.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast