Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: My Post-Combine 2007 Mock Draft (Round 1)

I would say DE is just as strong of a need as Offensive line.
    More of a need than running back and quarterback.
    Thomas I would take because he is better than Adams or Anderson but other than that, taking a quarterback is pretty darn stupid.
    We spent a high pick on a QB last year, need to give him a chance before we waste another (2-3 games is not a chance).

I think that if Calvin Johnson isn't there we should just trade back because we really need
    #1, #2, and #3 WRs.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    I would say DE is just as strong of a need as Offensive line.
    More of a need than running back and quarterback.
    Thomas I would take because he is better than Adams or Anderson but other than that, taking a quarterback is pretty darn stupid.
    We spent a high pick on a QB last year, need to give him a chance before we waste another (2-3 games is not a chance).

I think that if Calvin Johnson isn't there we should just trade back because we really need
    #1, #2, and #3 WRs.
    #3 WR = Bobby Wade.

Only need #1 WR, and maybe #2 WR if Williamson doesn't begin seeing better.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

haha, I suppose we will have to use Bobby Wade as a number 3 WR, but in all actuality the guy is a number 4 WR and return guy.
    How can we at this point even hope that Williamson is going to be a #2 WR?
    I mean we can be optimistic that it will get better but to even pencil him in lightly as a #2 is just plain dumb.
    We definitely need a #1 and #2 guy.
    We might need a #3.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I think I said Washington will pass on Adams because Anderson can play the run better (not in those words).
    It could very well be that Adams goes first though.
    When I analyzed the Skins (I get to hear about them endlessly down here on both the TV and Radio) I found that they really need to get after the passer with the DE position vice a Run stuffing DE.
    Take a look at thier stats for 2006.
    They were at the bottom of all stats that indicate a poor pass rush/secondary.

Key not here is that I am of the mindset that a good pass rush makes the secondary better and no matter how good your secondary, if there isn't pressure on the QB they will get picked apart by an average QB.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamStats?categoryId=67062

Opponents Total Passing Plays/League Rank

486 / 5
    Opponents Total Passing Yards/League Rank

3491 / 23
    Opponents Avg Yards per Passing Play/League Rank

6.91 / 32
    Opponents Passing Touchdowns/League Rank

30 / 32

I have Nelson ahead of Griffin because Nelson is a better natural athlete.
    Also because he fits in with the Patriots better and they just happen to pick before a team that I think would
    go after Griffin.
    I don't think it is much of a tough call.
    I mean, you never know with the draft, but I think the general consensus among teams and experts is that Nelson should go before Griffin.
    I really like Griffin though, he is going to make for a good safety.
    I guess I will give in to you on that.
    Not much seperates the two other than may Griffins size. Both should have a very bright future in the NFL.

Of course I looked at what teams did in Free Agency before projecting picks!!
    Denver signed Brandon Stokely to a 1 year contract.
    that is the only thing they did to their WRs in Free Agency and it hardly stops them from a picking a WR in this draft.
    No, never said it precluded them from taking a WR here, however, they can get a guy later as this draft is pretty deep in the WR area.
    Here is a list of what they did if FA.

CB Dre Bly (trade, DET)
    TE Danial Graham (UFA, NE)
    RB Travis Henry (FA, TEN)
    OG Montrae Holland (UFA, NO)
    QB Patrick Ramsey (FA, NYJ)
    FB Paul Smith (UFA, STL)
    WR Brandon Stokley (UFA, IND)
    DT Dan Wilkinson (trade, MIA)

Going down just the WR rationale again with your here are the current WR on roster:

Brian Clark

Domenik Hixon
    David Kircus
    Brandon Marshall
    Quincy Morgan
    Rod Smith
    Brandon Stokley
    Javon Walker

Not a bad crew when you look at it.
    Not a real pressing need.
    Again, can get some quality in later rounds.

What I saw when I analyzed them for my mock was a hole in S position. Take a look at what they have in the secondary.
    Sure the have Bailey and Blye to round out thier CB issues after the recent passing of two of thier players, but take a closer look at S.

Lynch - 14 Yrs(Lot of wear and tear there)
    Ferguson - 7 Yrs (Who)
    Harris/Brandon - 5
    Yrs (Who)
    Abdullah/Cox - 2 Yrs (Maybe someone here that can step in)
    Carqile - 1 Yr (Another possibility but again Who?)

Not discounting you WR selection but I think they will go with S here.

Again, I think overall it is a good mock draft.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    haha, I suppose we will have to use Bobby Wade as a number 3 WR, but in all actuality the guy is a number 4 WR and return guy.
    I mean we can be optimistic that it will get better but to even pencil him in lightly as a #2 is just plain dumb.
    We might need a #3.
    Norm(?) Chow of Tennessee said Wade was (one of?) their best receiver(s), so I think his opinion means it is more likely Wade can be WR#3 for the Vikings than your opinion that he is a WR#4.
    I'll trust his opinion of Wade over yours, because Chow is a highly regarded offensive coach, and he is making a living as a pro coach, as are Childress and Bevell.
    In addition, Spielman is making a lot more money assessing talent than anyone posting off-the-cuff comments on this board.

Williamson cannot be counted on as being WR#2, and that is why I saif "if" in my comment.
    But the word "if" does not mean " certainly 'won't" unless you are pessimistic.

Anyone who starts a reply with 'ha ha' seems to be inclined to be unwilling to accept other people's idea, and intend to mock them.
    :
    I'll check the demeanor in your next reply.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I think I said Washington will pass on Adams because Anderson can play the run better (not in those words).
    It could very well be that Adams goes first though.
    When I analyzed the Skins (I get to hear about them endlessly down here on both the TV and Radio) I found that they really need to get after the passer with the DE position vice a Run stuffing DE.
    Take a look at thier stats for 2006.
    They were at the bottom of all stats that indicate a poor pass rush/secondary.

Key not here is that I am of the mindset that a good pass rush makes the secondary better and no matter how good your secondary, if there isn't pressure on the QB they will get picked apart by an average QB.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamStats?categoryId=67062

Opponents Total Passing Plays/League Rank

486 / 5
    Opponents Total Passing Yards/League Rank

3491 / 23
    Opponents Avg Yards per Passing Play/League Rank

6.91 / 32
    Opponents Passing Touchdowns/League Rank

30 / 32

I have Nelson ahead of Griffin because Nelson is a better natural athlete.
    Also because he fits in with the Patriots better and they just happen to pick before a team that I think would
    go after Griffin.
    I don't think it is much of a tough call.
    I mean, you never know with the draft, but I think the general consensus among teams and experts is that Nelson should go before Griffin.
    I really like Griffin though, he is going to make for a good safety.
    I guess I will give in to you on that.
    Not much seperates the two other than may Griffins size. Both should have a very bright future in the NFL.

Of course I looked at what teams did in Free Agency before projecting picks!!
    Denver signed Brandon Stokely to a 1 year contract.
    that is the only thing they did to their WRs in Free Agency and it hardly stops them from a picking a WR in this draft.
    No, never said it precluded them from taking a WR here, however, they can get a guy later as this draft is pretty deep in the WR area.
    Here is a list of what they did if FA.

CB Dre Bly (trade, DET)
    TE Danial Graham (UFA, NE)
    RB Travis Henry (FA, TEN)
    OG Montrae Holland (UFA, NO)
    QB Patrick Ramsey (FA, NYJ)
    FB Paul Smith (UFA, STL)
    WR Brandon Stokley (UFA, IND)
    DT Dan Wilkinson (trade, MIA)

Going down just the WR rationale again with your here are the current WR on roster:

Brian Clark

Domenik Hixon
    David Kircus
    Brandon Marshall
    Quincy Morgan
    Rod Smith
    Brandon Stokley
    Javon Walker

Not a bad crew when you look at it.
    Not a real pressing need.
    Again, can get some quality in later rounds.

What I saw when I analyzed them for my mock was a hole in S position. Take a look at what they have in the secondary.
    Sure the have Bailey and Blye to round out thier CB issues after the recent passing of two of thier players, but take a closer look at S.

Lynch - 14 Yrs(Lot of wear and tear there)
    Ferguson - 7 Yrs (Who)
    Harris/Brandon - 5
    Yrs (Who)
    Abdullah/Cox - 2 Yrs (Maybe someone here that can step in)
    Carqile - 1 Yr (Another possibility but again Who?)

Not discounting you WR selection but I think they will go with S here.

Again, I think overall it is a good mock draft.
    I guess I looked at their WRs and saw something else.
    In 1 or two years the only real solid WR they will have will be Javon Walker.
    Brandon Marshall could turnout to be a quality number 2 guy but Quincy Morgan isnt very good and Stokely and Smith will probably be somewhere else (golfing?).

You dont necessarily draft for the most pressing need (I know you know that) and I think Meachem is better than any player on the board.
    Also, you can find some quality safety prospects later in this draft too.
    I can easily see them taking a safety, I just went for a combination of future need and BPA.

When I looked at the skins I saw a pretty darn bad defensive line.
    Anderson can rush the passer very well (although not as well as Adams) but his ability to help out in the run game, I think, makes him more attractive to Washington.
    I agree you need a pass rush to have a successful pass defense.
    Anderson can give you that but you dont lose much in the run defense department either.
    Because if you dont have an effective run defense teams can set up play-action and pass on you even with a good pass rush.

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    We might need a #3.
    Norm(?) Chow of Tennessee said Wade was (one of?) their best receiver(s), so I think his opinion means it is more likely Wade can be WR#3 for the Vikings than your opinion that he is a WR#4.
    I'll trust his opinion of Wade over yours, because Chow is a highly regarded offensive coach, and he is making a living as a pro coach, as are Childress and Bevell.
    In addition, Spielman is making a lot more money assessing talent than anyone posting off-the-cuff comments on this board.

Williamson cannot be counted on as being WR#2, and that is why I saif "if" in my comment.
    But the word "if" does not mean " certainly 'won't" unless you are pessimistic.

Anyone who starts a reply with 'ha ha' seems to be inclined to be unwilling to accept other people's idea, and intend to mock them.
    :
    I'll check the demeanor in your next reply.
    I was laughing at having to use Bobby Wade as a 3rd WR not because I am unwilling to accept other ideas.

If implies that there is a descent possibility that Williamson can be our #2 guy next year.
    And, barring anything short of a miracle, there really isnt much of a possibility.

Bobby Wade very could have been one of the Titans best receivers last year.
    That isnt saying much however and certainly doesnt mean he isnt a number 4 guy.
    Coaches tend to like a player and then talk them up to be more than they are.
    This could easily be one of those cases.

Also, just because you are getting paid to do something doesnt mean your good at it.
    It is very possible that some schmuck
    off the street is better at judging talent than a guy who is getting paid to do it.
    You can go ahead and blindly trust a coach talking up one of his own guys or another coach who is such a great judge of talent he took a 9-7 team and turned them into a 6-10, or a personnel guy that was fired by another crappy team and hasnt proven anything yet.
    I am going to go by what I see in numbers and play (which, I admit is less than they guys who get paid but it doesnt mean Im wrong).

Hopefully Bobby will prove me and his past history wrong and live up to that lofty #3 expectation.
    He hasnt done anything in 4 seasons that suggests he can be anything more than a pretty good #4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12