Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: My offseason wish list / Evaluation by position

"Property0f" wrote:
    I know it may seem Calvin Johnson will be gone by the 7th pick because of his greatness, but if you look at the needs of each team ahead of us he may still be around at number 7.

1. Oakland Raiders - Brady Quinn - Their offense is horrible and the fix always begins at the qb position.

2. Detroit Lions - Adrian Peterson - With Matt Millen coming back for another year as GM there is no way he will take another WR with his first pick.

3. Cleveland Browns - Joe Thomas - Took Braylon Edwards with their first pick last year, and I doubt they would take another WR with other needs at RB and the OL.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gaines Adams - This is the only team that could really use a WR, but their ageing defense seems to be a higher priority.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Sam Backer/Jake Long - All their skill positions on offense are set, so the only thing left is to fix the OL.

6. Washington Redskins - Alan Branch - Spent a lot of money on WR's in FA last year, and their defense was very disappointing in 06 so starting the fix with a DT seems logical.

7. Minnesota Vikings - Do I really need to put his name here? hah...Yea, this all may be a stretch, but most of the teams before us are set at WR and have bigger holes to fill. If each team drafted by need and not best player available it could happen. If all else fails we could trade our first round pick and Smoot to Tampa/Cleveland for their pick.
    I have seen this logic on alot of 2007 NFL Draft pages and really like it however, I believe, he won't fall to #7 but will go early as at least one of the teams who need alot of help would/could trade with a team that has the ability to package multiple picks (i.e. pats two 1rst rounders 23 and 28) who need a WR.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Stonecoldet3 is offline Starter

"Property0f" wrote:
    I know it may seem Calvin Johnson will be gone by the 7th pick because of his greatness, but if you look at the needs of each team ahead of us he may still be around at number 7.

1. Oakland Raiders - Brady Quinn - Their offense is horrible and the fix always begins at the qb position.

2. Detroit Lions - Adrian Peterson - With Matt Millen coming back for another year as GM there is no way he will take another WR with his first pick.

3. Cleveland Browns - Joe Thomas - Took Braylon Edwards with their first pick last year, and I doubt they would take another WR with other needs at RB and the OL.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gaines Adams - This is the only team that could really use a WR, but their ageing defense seems to be a higher priority.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Sam Backer/Jake Long - All their skill positions on offense are set, so the only thing left is to fix the OL.

6. Washington Redskins - Alan Branch - Spent a lot of money on WR's in FA last year, and their defense was very disappointing in 06 so starting the fix with a DT seems logical.

7. Minnesota Vikings - Do I really need to put his name here? hah...Yea, this all may be a stretch, but most of the teams before us are set at WR and have bigger holes to fill. If each team drafted by need and not best player available it could happen. If all else fails we could trade our first round pick and Smoot to Tampa/Cleveland for their pick.

Actually I believe they took Braylon Edwards 2 years ago, last year they chose Kamerion Wimbley in the 1st round last year.

As far as raiders getting Brady Quinn on ESPN they mentioned that he has hinted he wanted to be the QB of Clevland Browns.
    So he might pull an Eli and there might be a trade.
    The next logical pick for the raiders would be C.J. IMO.
    It will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few months.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

drop the whole WR corp and drop the QB corp and start over.
    this team is in a world of hurt if TJ is the starter and williamson and travis taylor are his main targets.
    6-10 next year if it stays the same in the two positions.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Very good post NP. I agree with alot of it, and I'll give you my comments by section.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    In summary, I expect us to pursue two WRs, a verteran QB backup, a DE, and a LB in the FA or through trades.
    I believe we will draft an OL with our #7 pick, and a CB in the second, and a WR in the third.
    After that it is anybody's guess.

Enjoy.
    I could see this go as you said. I'm not sure that we'll draft the players you said in that order. It also depends on the value of the players availible at set times.

Also we'll bring in some kind of OL in the FA.

I think we'll take the WR in the first, and an OL-man in the 2nd or 3rd. We could possibly go for a RB talent in rounds 2 or 3 also if we don't keep Pinner.

If there are in good TEs it is also an option at some point.

My offseason wish list / Evaluation by position

QB
    Jackson and Bollinger will be back, but both will probably be competing for roster spots against a veteran brought in through FA or trade.
    While the name Schuab seems to grace a lot of wish lists, he will be a RFA with a high price tag. Plus, despite all of the good press, he is actually rather unproven (6 career TDs, 6 career INTs).
    I think Jeff Garcia or Jake Plummer are more likely candidates, with the later being my personal choice.
    I expect Jackson to be the starter next year though.
    I think you're right here. Except that I don't think/hope we'll go for Plummer. He doesn't fit the WC offense that well, because he likes to throw on the run alot.
    Garcia would probably be a good fit.

WR
    <Sigh>
    Where to start.
    With M-Rob gone, and Taylor probably on his way out, this is our biggest area of need.
    I'll admit that I was drooling a little watching Calvin Johnson in the Bowl game, but there is no way we can bank on him dropping to us in the draft.
    Besides, skill positions like WR usually need at least a year to get into the swing of the NFL, and we need help immediately.
    Kevin Curtis has shown a couple flashes of excellence, and Donte' Stallworth has the speed to stretch the field.
    Either would be a welcome addition to the Vikings WR corps, but neither could be the number 1 we need.
    To fill that role, I see us going after Jerry Porter aggressively.
    The Raiders are looking for a team to take him off their hands, and we could probably get him for a third round draft pick.
    Before all of the Moss supports pipe up... yes, I know we could probably get moss for the same, but remember that Childress makes the calls when it comes to personnel, and he already lived though one WR mess with T.O.

If we can secure a number 1 and 2 WR through FA or trade, then look for us to bundle a couple of low round draft picks to grab a rookie WR in the late third round.
    Childress has already demonstrated that he is willing to part with a sixth or seventh rounder to make a move if he sees someone he likes.
    Williamson, if he returns, will have to compete for the slot position against Carter, McMullen, and the new WR.
    We'll definatly go for one or two WRs in the FA, but I think the market is a bit thin and there will be alot of competition for the ones there is. Bennett would be the best there is, and maybe Stallworth too, even if I'm not sure he'll come through in the long run. I like to see us go for younger services the most in players like Curtis or D.J. Hackett from Seattle.

TE
    Sauce and Wiggy, two fan favorites since they came to the Vikes, have probably see their last days in a Vikes uniform.
    Childress's scheme calls for a faster TE who can stretch the field and generate some YAC.
    Unfortunately, there are any fast, tough TEs available with good hands in FA.
    Maybe Daniel Graham, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Owens and Dugan weren't bad this year, so it is possible that we could just stick with them if nothing opens up.
    This area remains the biggest question mark for me, so I will wait to see what Childress has in the works...
    We will get a new TE next year. I think the best option is Eric Johnson. But I could also see us go for one in the draft, maybe in the 2nd or 3rd.

RB
    Finally a position were we aren't hurting!
    Chester Taylor turned out to be the workhorse we thought he would be.
    A lack of any vertical threat allowed defenses to stack the box against the run constantly, but Taylor still put up decent numbers. Moore, Fason, and Pinner all were solid back ups.
    As longs as we keep at least three out of the four over the offseason, we will be fine.
    We could be set for next year. But as Childress has not been willing to give up much of Taylors reps at any point, I wouldn't be totally surprised if we brought in a middle to high round prospect in the draft.

FB
    Richardson is a YAC machine, but we could use a solid back up.
    Owens, Pinner and Dugan took turns in the role, but none excelled.
    We have Owens for a couple more years, so this isn't a glaring need.
    We could look at someone in the late rounds of the draft, assuming we don't package those picks in a trade.
    I think we are set for next year. Maybe a guy like Dugan or Owens will try to be put in the role some more next season, and see if they can fit, otherwise we'll look at it next offseason.

OL
    Our left side finally started to mesh.
    McKinnie still gets beat consistently by a fast DE, but we have committed to him for several more years.
    Our right side, however, needs a lot of work.
    Cook is a work in progress, and I personally like Rosenthal.
    Hicks and Herrera are back ups at best, so we need to address both the right guard and right tackle positions.

I expect Childress to take an OL with the number seven pick in the draft.
    He has made it clear that the OL and DL are always high on his priority list.
    And there are several that fit our needs.
    Jake Long played great in Michigan, and would be a great right tackle.
    Joe Thomas and Sam Baker are also excellent linemen likely coming out in the draft, but I expect the Cardinals to take Thomas, and Baker hasn't announced whether or not he will opt for the draft or play his last year with the Trojans.
    We'll have to fix that right side of the line as you said. I think we'll look at RG prospects in the FA. I'm not sure who it'd be though.

We'll still draft some OL somewhere. But it's definatly not certain to be in the 1st round.

DE
    Our number 1 rush defense was also the number 32 pass defense, and it all starts up front.
    Darrion Scott simply can't bring the pressure like James can.
    In 2005, after James replaced Scott on the line our average yards per game dropped from 361.1 to 293.8.
    When James went out for the season, it allowed opposing lines to double team Kevin Williams almost every play, with a back swinging out to put an extra man on Udeze.
    This effectively eliminated our pass rush for the entire season.

The good news is this is a fairly deep position in both FA and the draft.
    Robert Geathers, Jared Allen, and Bobby McCray are all solid ends, but are all also RFAs, and I don't see the Vikes spending too much for someone who will basically be a backup or designated pass rusher.
    Patrick Kerney or Justin Smith are more likely candidates IMHO.
    Their numbers have slipped recently, and both could be solid DEs willing to come in at reliever for James and Udeze.
    Leonard Little would be a steal, but I expect the Rams to retain him.

If it comes down to the draft (which I would be surprised if it did), Quentin Moses is a nice prospect who would easily be there at #7.
    Ray McDonald and Anthony Spencer could also slip into the second round, and might be a possibility then.
    I'm a little baffled about the DE position. We clearly needed passrush on the D-side. Even if by looking at it we shouldn't. But Erasmus went out early and Udeze played well below what is expected.
    I think we'll be better next year even if we didn't do anything because we get Erasmus back, and Ray Edwards will get better as a pass rusher. But something will probably be done wether it is by bringing a FA or looking at the draft.

DT
    The Williams's are the premier run stuffing DTs in the league.
    Phat Pat is getting up there in age though, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see another struggle between him and Childress regarding his offseason weight.
    That being said though, I expect both to return.
    The Vikes might look for a little more depth in FA or the late rounds of the draft, but this isn't a glaring need.
    We have the best DT tandem in the league imo. But as you said we could use depth. So we'll bring someone from the late rounds in the draft I think. DTs should be able to be found on the 2nd day.

CB
    With Smoot most likely gone, Griffin will retain the starting job opposite Winfield, with Devonte Edwards coming back in at nickel.
    Whitaker and Gordon are OK in relief or dime back, but neither one can fill one of the top three spots if we have another CB go down.
    If Leon Hall is still on the board when the Vikes pick comes up, Childress will face a difficult decision between picking him up or fixing our patchy OL.
    My guess is he would still go with the OL.
    Expect us to look into the second or even third round to find another Cedric Griffin.
    Marcus McCauley had a horrible senior season in Fresno, and his stock has easily slipped into the second round.
    One of the dificult ones again. It all depends if Smoot is gone, but I still think we could be set on our top 3 guys in Winfield, Griffin and Edwards. So it's not a must to draft a high pick or get a star player in FA. We could bring in someone in the as high as the 3rd round though. Or maybe find someone in FA that needs a new chance.

LB
    Harris is probably gone, but Greenway will be back.
    Still, we need a solid veteran LB who understands the Cover 2 scheme.
    After New England showed the world how to beat the Vikings, everyone began dumping passes just over the linebackers once the WRs cleared the zone.
    We need a MLB with more speed and vision to drop back and prevent that type of pass while still being able to come up and meet a runner at the line.
    Unfortunately we can't clone Urlacher, so we will have to look in FA and trade instead.
    Adalius Thomas is at the top of my list, and the last I heard he was a UFA this year.
    I don't know if EJ could get back in the middle instead of Harris, but I think it is a posibility with Greenway coming back. Adalius Thomas would be a great guy to bring in, but that's probably what team thinks at this point. The most important thing given how our season went however is finding some LBs that can cover.

S
    There should be enough skill between Sharper, Blue, Smith and Tank (if he returns) to make this a solid position.
    Still, there are rumors about Sharper being unhappy with the first losing season in his career, and Childress obviously isn't afraid to bring in competition in training camp.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see another veteran brought in, although no names come to mind immediately.
    It's strange about the Sharper rumours, but I guess Blue would play then. I hope they bring back Tank to get him a shot at this team.

K
    Longwell had a good year, going 21 for 25 and kicking 100% at everything less than 40 yards.
    However his leg strength is an issue.
    Considering our special teams coverage isn't exactly stellar, we could use a kicker who could consistently put it in the end zone.
    No big names come up, but don't be surprised if a few other kickers aren't brought in for looks during the offseason.
    I were really not impressed with Longwells kickoffs and I think the length hurt us at times. But we probably won't change anything here yet. And we will not get someone here solely for kickoffs either.

P
    Kluwe started out rough this season as he learned how to kick the ball directionally.
    However, by the end of the season he had pulled his average up to 42.3 yards, over half of which came down inside the 20.
    I don't think his job is in jeopardy, and he will continue to develop his directional kicking and we will start pinning opponents more this year.
    Kluwe didn't have the best year statisticly, but I still like him to stay our punter for next year.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Property0f is offline Pro-Bowler

"Stonecoldet3" wrote:
    "Property0f" wrote:

Actually I believe they took Braylon Edwards 2 years ago, last year they chose Kamerion Wimbley in the 1st round last year.

As far as raiders getting Brady Quinn on ESPN they mentioned that he has hinted he wanted to be the QB of Clevland Browns.
    So he might pull an Eli and there might be a trade.
    The next logical pick for the raiders would be C.J. IMO.
    It will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few months.
    Yea you're right, my mistake...But still considering they drafted him with their first overall and he is their WR of the future it's hard to believe they would take C.J. Especially with a great TE in Winslow also.

Anyways..just have to hope for the best lol.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I also highly doubt Taylor will be back, given his latest incident with 50,000 volts.
    I wouldn't be so quick to toss Taylor off the team. His incident was pretty minor, thus the $50 bail, as compared to Joe Woods' two counts of DUI's & Dwight Smiths indecent conduct with a woman. Both of whom are still with the Vikings.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I'd be very surprised to see Calvin Johnson drop to us. His stock will most likely sky-rocket at the Combine and if none of the teams above us now draft him you can bet someone with a need at wide receiver will make a play to trade up to get him. That being said, I'd love to see us take him.. The more I watch of him the more I like what he does on the field. While I still wish we made a play for Larry Fitzgerald years ago (home-town kid an' all, like the Twins have with Mauer) CJ would be a great shot in the arm for this offence.

Failing that.. We take Jarrett :P

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the only way we get CJ is if we trade up for him.

Personally I don't think he will drop past #4.
    First, Tampa Bay can use a WR.

Michael Clayton is a disappointment, and Joey Galloway is 35 years old.
    CJ would bring an immediate impact.

However, Tampa Bay's DL also could use an upgrade.
    If Cleveland wins the coin toss and Tampa has the 4th pick (the Browns and Bucs are tied for draft order), then things can get interesting.
    If all of the top 3 DLs are still available, I wouldn't be shocked if Tampa Bay entertains the idea of swapping their first for a top 10 first and a third.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

patistheman is offline Starter

Great post Paul, I agree with all of it.
    However im not real sure of the Ravens cap situation but if they can I am sure they will not let Thomas go, although he would be a very nice pickup for us.

Also why did we not see Devonte Edwards get playing time this year, last year he looked promising, but I don't remember seeing him in action at all this year.

Why does everybody think if we got Moss back he would save the team.
    If we got him I would say that there would only be a 25% chance that he would be as great as before, if that.
    Don't be so quick to wish for him back, yes I realize what he did for the team, but he has done nothing since except ruin his reputation even more.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Devonte Edwards broke his right arm in the first quarter of the preseason game against Dallas and was lost for the season.
    I am really looking forward to getting him back next season.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast