Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My offseason wish list / Evaluation by position

Keep in mind that I do not claim to be any type of football analyst or sports genius.
    This is just a compilation of my thought regarding each position on the Vikes roster.
    I don't care if you poke holes in it and interject your opinion.
    in fact, I welcome it.
    Healthy, informed debate makes the off season go by that much faster...

In summary, I expect us to pursue two WRs, a verteran QB backup, a DE, and a LB in the FA or through trades.
    I believe we will draft an OL with our #7 pick, and a CB in the second, and a WR in the third.
    After that it is anybody's guess.

Enjoy.

QB
    Jackson and Bollinger will be back, but both will probably be competing for roster spots against a veteran brought in through FA or trade.
    While the name Schuab seems to grace a lot of wish lists, he will be a RFA with a high price tag. Plus, despite all of the good press, he is actually rather unproven (6 career TDs, 6 career INTs).
    I think Jeff Garcia or Jake Plummer are more likely candidates, with the later being my personal choice.
    I expect Jackson to be the starter next year though.

WR
    <Sigh>
    Where to start.
    With M-Rob gone, and Taylor probably on his way out, this is our biggest area of need.
    I'll admit that I was drooling a little watching Calvin Johnson in the Bowl game, but there is no way we can bank on him dropping to us in the draft.
    Besides, skill positions like WR usually need at least a year to get into the swing of the NFL, and we need help immediately.
    Kevin Curtis has shown a couple flashes of excellence, and Donte' Stallworth has the speed to stretch the field.
    Either would be a welcome addition to the Vikings WR corps, but neither could be the number 1 we need.
    To fill that role, I see us going after Jerry Porter aggressively.
    The Raiders are looking for a team to take him off their hands, and we could probably get him for a third round draft pick.
    Before all of the Moss supports pipe up... yes, I know we could probably get moss for the same, but remember that Childress makes the calls when it comes to personnel, and he already lived though one WR mess with T.O.

If we can secure a number 1 and 2 WR through FA or trade, then look for us to bundle a couple of low round draft picks to grab a rookie WR in the late third round.
    Childress has already demonstrated that he is willing to part with a sixth or seventh rounder to make a move if he sees someone he likes.
    Williamson, if he returns, will have to compete for the slot position against Carter, McMullen, and the new WR.

TE
    Sauce and Wiggy, two fan favorites since they came to the Vikes, have probably see their last days in a Vikes uniform.
    Childress's scheme calls for a faster TE who can stretch the field and generate some YAC.
    Unfortunately, there are any fast, tough TEs available with good hands in FA.
    Maybe Daniel Graham, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Owens and Dugan weren't bad this year, so it is possible that we could just stick with them if nothing opens up.
    This area remains the biggest question mark for me, so I will wait to see what Childress has in the works...

RB
    Finally a position were we aren't hurting!
    Chester Taylor turned out to be the workhorse we thought he would be.
    A lack of any vertical threat allowed defenses to stack the box against the run constantly, but Taylor still put up decent numbers. Moore, Fason, and Pinner all were solid back ups.
    As longs as we keep at least three out of the four over the offseason, we will be fine.

FB
    Richardson is a YAC machine, but we could use a solid back up.
    Owens, Pinner and Dugan took turns in the role, but none excelled.
    We have Owens for a couple more years, so this isn't a glaring need.
    We could look at someone in the late rounds of the draft, assuming we don't package those picks in a trade.

OL
    Our left side finally started to mesh.
    McKinnie still gets beat consistently by a fast DE, but we have committed to him for several more years.
    Our right side, however, needs a lot of work.
    Cook is a work in progress, and I personally like Rosenthal.
    Hicks and Herrera are back ups at best, so we need to address both the right guard and right tackle positions.

I expect Childress to take an OL with the number seven pick in the draft.
    He has made it clear that the OL and DL are always high on his priority list.
    And there are several that fit our needs.
    Jake Long played great in Michigan, and would be a great right tackle.
    Joe Thomas and Sam Baker are also excellent linemen likely coming out in the draft, but I expect the Cardinals to take Thomas, and Baker hasn't announced whether or not he will opt for the draft or play his last year with the Trojans.

DE
    Our number 1 rush defense was also the number 32 pass defense, and it all starts up front.
    Darrion Scott simply can't bring the pressure like James can.
    In 2005, after James replaced Scott on the line our average yards per game dropped from 361.1 to 293.8.
    When James went out for the season, it allowed opposing lines to double team Kevin Williams almost every play, with a back swinging out to put an extra man on Udeze.
    This effectively eliminated our pass rush for the entire season.

The good news is this is a fairly deep position in both FA and the draft.
    Robert Geathers, Jared Allen, and Bobby McCray are all solid ends, but are all also RFAs, and I don't see the Vikes spending too much for someone who will basically be a backup or designated pass rusher.
    Patrick Kerney or Justin Smith are more likely candidates IMHO.
    Their numbers have slipped recently, and both could be solid DEs willing to come in at reliever for James and Udeze.
    Leonard Little would be a steal, but I expect the Rams to retain him.

If it comes down to the draft (which I would be surprised if it did), Quentin Moses is a nice prospect who would easily be there at #7.
    Ray McDonald and Anthony Spencer could also slip into the second round, and might be a possibility then.

DT
    The Williams's are the premier run stuffing DTs in the league.
    Phat Pat is getting up there in age though, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see another struggle between him and Childress regarding his offseason weight.
    That being said though, I expect both to return.
    The Vikes might look for a little more depth in FA or the late rounds of the draft, but this isn't a glaring need.

CB
    With Smoot most likely gone, Griffin will retain the starting job opposite Winfield, with Devonte Edwards coming back in at nickel.
    Whitaker and Gordon are OK in relief or dime back, but neither one can fill one of the top three spots if we have another CB go down.
    If Leon Hall is still on the board when the Vikes pick comes up, Childress will face a difficult decision between picking him up or fixing our patchy OL.
    My guess is he would still go with the OL.
    Expect us to look into the second or even third round to find another Cedric Griffin.
    Marcus McCauley had a horrible senior season in Fresno, and his stock has easily slipped into the second round.

LB
    Harris is probably gone, but Greenway will be back.
    Still, we need a solid veteran LB who understands the Cover 2 scheme.
    After New England showed the world how to beat the Vikings, everyone began dumping passes just over the linebackers once the WRs cleared the zone.
    We need a MLB with more speed and vision to drop back and prevent that type of pass while still being able to come up and meet a runner at the line.
    Unfortunately we can't clone Urlacher, so we will have to look in FA and trade instead.
    Adalius Thomas is at the top of my list, and the last I heard he was a UFA this year.

S
    There should be enough skill between Sharper, Blue, Smith and Tank (if he returns) to make this a solid position.
    Still, there are rumors about Sharper being unhappy with the first losing season in his career, and Childress obviously isn't afraid to bring in competition in training camp.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see another veteran brought in, although no names come to mind immediately.

K
    Longwell had a good year, going 21 for 25 and kicking 100% at everything less than 40 yards.
    However his leg strength is an issue.
    Considering our special teams coverage isn't exactly stellar, we could use a kicker who could consistently put it in the end zone.
    No big names come up, but don't be surprised if a few other kickers aren't brought in for looks during the offseason.

P
    Kluwe started out rough this season as he learned how to kick the ball directionally.
    However, by the end of the season he had pulled his average up to 42.3 yards, over half of which came down inside the 20.
    I don't think his job is in jeopardy, and he will continue to develop his directional kicking and we will start pinning opponents more this year.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

vikingsfan717 is offline Rookie

Re: My offseason wish list / Evaluation by position

We can keep Williamson and Taylor and trade a 3rd round pick to Oakland to get Moss back and we can draft either Dwayne Jarrett or and OL with our first round pick. Then we keep Darren Sharper and start him and Tank Williams at the Saftey postions. TJack starts at QB and we trade Smoot for someone good.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"vikingsfan717" wrote:
    We can keep Williamson and Taylor and trade a 3rd round pick to Oakland to get Moss back and we can draft either Dwayne Jarrett or and OL with our first round pick. Then we keep Darren Sharper and start him and Tank Williams at the Saftey postions. TJack starts at QB and we trade Smoot for someone good.
    Even if we were to get Moss back, which I just don't see happening, that would still leave us pretty thin at WR.
    Neither Taylor nor Williamson are strong enough to be the number 2 WR.
    I also highly doubt Taylor will be back, given his latest incident with 50,000 volts.

I agree with the rest of your post though.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Nodak,

Next to the actual season, I am a fool for the offseason/draft stuff.
    Fills my void until turkey season and fishing season starts down here in VA.

Your analysis is pretty good, however, I would recommend that we get a OL in FA to shore up the right side a bit and use the #7 for best WR avail which I believe will be Jarrett.
    I am not sure why everyone is harping that B-chill won't pick a WR in the 1rst round.
    Like RB, WR is one of the positions that can contribute right away with pretty good success (T-Will excluded).

This would give us someone with experience on the OL which wouldn't require such a steep learning curve allowing the line to solidify a bit.
    Additionally, I would get someone like Moulds as a FA above the others you list.
    Great mentor for our young WR corp of

a.
    Jarrett
    b.
    Moulds
    c.
    (so shoot me) T-Will, Mcmullen, Carter, etc.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"vikingsfan717" wrote:
    Please do not hijack every thread and turn it into a Moss thread.

Thank you.

baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Quentin Moses should be our first pick,.

I have a feeling he will be something special. He is a Julius Peppers or Jason Taylor type of DE. Such a pass rushing force.

I wouldn't take him though, if we are lucky enough to land Freeney.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Keep in mind that I do not claim to be any type of football analyst or sports genius.
    This is just a compilation of my thought regarding each position on the Vikes roster.
    I don't care if you poke holes in it and interject your opinion.
    in fact, I welcome it.
    Healthy, informed debate makes the off season go by that much faster...

In summary, I expect us to pursue two WRs, a verteran QB backup, a DE, and a LB in the FA or through trades.
    I believe we will draft an OL with our #7 pick, and a CB in the second, and a WR in the third.
    After that it is anybody's guess.

Enjoy.

QB
    Jackson and Bollinger will be back, but both will probably be competing for roster spots against a veteran brought in through FA or trade.
    While the name Schuab seems to grace a lot of wish lists, he will be a RFA with a high price tag. Plus, despite all of the good press, he is actually rather unproven (6 career TDs, 6 career INTs).
    I think Jeff Garcia or Jake Plummer are more likely candidates, with the later being my personal choice.
    I expect Jackson to be the starter next year though.

WR
    <Sigh>
    Where to start.
    With M-Rob gone, and Taylor probably on his way out, this is our biggest area of need.
    I'll admit that I was drooling a little watching Calvin Johnson in the Bowl game, but there is no way we can bank on him dropping to us in the draft.
    Besides, skill positions like WR usually need at least a year to get into the swing of the NFL, and we need help immediately.
    Kevin Curtis has shown a couple flashes of excellence, and Donte' Stallworth has the speed to stretch the field.
    Either would be a welcome addition to the Vikings WR corps, but neither could be the number 1 we need.
    To fill that role, I see us going after Jerry Porter aggressively.
    The Raiders are looking for a team to take him off their hands, and we could probably get him for a third round draft pick.
    Before all of the Moss supports pipe up... yes, I know we could probably get moss for the same, but remember that Childress makes the calls when it comes to personnel, and he already lived though one WR mess with T.O.

If we can secure a number 1 and 2 WR through FA or trade, then look for us to bundle a couple of low round draft picks to grab a rookie WR in the late third round.
    Childress has already demonstrated that he is willing to part with a sixth or seventh rounder to make a move if he sees someone he likes.
    Williamson, if he returns, will have to compete for the slot position against Carter, McMullen, and the new WR.

TE
    Sauce and Wiggy, two fan favorites since they came to the Vikes, have probably see their last days in a Vikes uniform.
    Childress's scheme calls for a faster TE who can stretch the field and generate some YAC.
    Unfortunately, there are any fast, tough TEs available with good hands in FA.
    Maybe Daniel Graham, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Owens and Dugan weren't bad this year, so it is possible that we could just stick with them if nothing opens up.
    This area remains the biggest question mark for me, so I will wait to see what Childress has in the works...

RB
    Finally a position were we aren't hurting!
    Chester Taylor turned out to be the workhorse we thought he would be.
    A lack of any vertical threat allowed defenses to stack the box against the run constantly, but Taylor still put up decent numbers. Moore, Fason, and Pinner all were solid back ups.
    As longs as we keep at least three out of the four over the offseason, we will be fine.

FB
    Richardson is a YAC machine, but we could use a solid back up.
    Owens, Pinner and Dugan took turns in the role, but none excelled.
    We have Owens for a couple more years, so this isn't a glaring need.
    We could look at someone in the late rounds of the draft, assuming we don't package those picks in a trade.

OL
    Our left side finally started to mesh.
    McKinnie still gets beat consistently by a fast DE, but we have committed to him for several more years.
    Our right side, however, needs a lot of work.
    Cook is a work in progress, and I personally like Rosenthal.
    Hicks and Herrera are back ups at best, so we need to address both the right guard and right tackle positions.

I expect Childress to take an OL with the number seven pick in the draft.
    He has made it clear that the OL and DL are always high on his priority list.
    And there are several that fit our needs.
    Jake Long played great in Michigan, and would be a great right tackle.
    Joe Thomas and Sam Baker are also excellent linemen likely coming out in the draft, but I expect the Cardinals to take Thomas, and Baker hasn't announced whether or not he will opt for the draft or play his last year with the Trojans.

DE
    Our number 1 rush defense was also the number 32 pass defense, and it all starts up front.
    Darrion Scott simply can't bring the pressure like James can.
    In 2005, after James replaced Scott on the line our average yards per game dropped from 361.1 to 293.8.
    When James went out for the season, it allowed opposing lines to double team Kevin Williams almost every play, with a back swinging out to put an extra man on Udeze.
    This effectively eliminated our pass rush for the entire season.

The good news is this is a fairly deep position in both FA and the draft.
    Robert Geathers, Jared Allen, and Bobby McCray are all solid ends, but are all also RFAs, and I don't see the Vikes spending too much for someone who will basically be a backup or designated pass rusher.
    Patrick Kerney or Justin Smith are more likely candidates IMHO.
    Their numbers have slipped recently, and both could be solid DEs willing to come in at reliever for James and Udeze.
    Leonard Little would be a steal, but I expect the Rams to retain him.

If it comes down to the draft (which I would be surprised if it did), Quentin Moses is a nice prospect who would easily be there at #7.
    Ray McDonald and Anthony Spencer could also slip into the second round, and might be a possibility then.

DT
    The Williams's are the premier run stuffing DTs in the league.
    Phat Pat is getting up there in age though, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see another struggle between him and Childress regarding his offseason weight.
    That being said though, I expect both to return.
    The Vikes might look for a little more depth in FA or the late rounds of the draft, but this isn't a glaring need.

CB
    With Smoot most likely gone, Griffin will retain the starting job opposite Winfield, with Devonte Edwards coming back in at nickel.
    Whitaker and Gordon are OK in relief or dime back, but neither one can fill one of the top three spots if we have another CB go down.
    If Leon Hall is still on the board when the Vikes pick comes up, Childress will face a difficult decision between picking him up or fixing our patchy OL.
    My guess is he would still go with the OL.
    Expect us to look into the second or even third round to find another Cedric Griffin.
    Marcus McCauley had a horrible senior season in Fresno, and his stock has easily slipped into the second round.

LB
    Harris is probably gone, but Greenway will be back.
    Still, we need a solid veteran LB who understands the Cover 2 scheme.
    After New England showed the world how to beat the Vikings, everyone began dumping passes just over the linebackers once the WRs cleared the zone.
    We need a MLB with more speed and vision to drop back and prevent that type of pass while still being able to come up and meet a runner at the line.
    Unfortunately we can't clone Urlacher, so we will have to look in FA and trade instead.
    Adalius Thomas is at the top of my list, and the last I heard he was a UFA this year.

S
    There should be enough skill between Sharper, Blue, Smith and Tank (if he returns) to make this a solid position.
    Still, there are rumors about Sharper being unhappy with the first losing season in his career, and Childress obviously isn't afraid to bring in competition in training camp.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see another veteran brought in, although no names come to mind immediately.

K
    Longwell had a good year, going 21 for 25 and kicking 100% at everything less than 40 yards.
    However his leg strength is an issue.
    Considering our special teams coverage isn't exactly stellar, we could use a kicker who could consistently put it in the end zone.
    No big names come up, but don't be surprised if a few other kickers aren't brought in for looks during the offseason.

P
    Kluwe started out rough this season as he learned how to kick the ball directionally.
    However, by the end of the season he had pulled his average up to 42.3 yards, over half of which came down inside the 20.
    I don't think his job is in jeopardy, and he will continue to develop his directional kicking and we will start pinning opponents more this year.
    Very good post.I agree with most of it.

Not Porter though.He's as bad as Moss.

I think the O-line is the most pressing need. I think we will see a free agent as well as a 3rd round pick. #7 is too high a price for a player that may take a year or two to develop.
    As much as I haven't liked Rosenthal in the past, he was better than anyone else on the right side this year.

I know you defend Udeze by pointing out the double team. But don't you think a defensive end should be able to beat a double team at least once in a whole season?
    I don't think a back should be able to block an onrushing defensive end more than 50% of the time if the end beats the lineman. Udeze seems to just run straight up the field.
    James should help Udeze but I hope we get a stud to replace him.(Udeze)

Ronyell is slow and Gordon shows some promise. I'm glad Devonte is coming back and I hope Tank comes back along with Smith.

I also like Jake the Snake over Garcia but feel Bollinger deserves a close look.

Anyway, thank you for your post. Good way to start the off season.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Property0f is offline Pro-Bowler

I know it may seem Calvin Johnson will be gone by the 7th pick because of his greatness, but if you look at the needs of each team ahead of us he may still be around at number 7.

1. Oakland Raiders - Brady Quinn - Their offense is horrible and the fix always begins at the qb position.

2. Detroit Lions - Adrian Peterson - With Matt Millen coming back for another year as GM there is no way he will take another WR with his first pick.

3. Cleveland Browns - Joe Thomas - Took Braylon Edwards with their first pick last year, and I doubt they would take another WR with other needs at RB and the OL.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Gaines Adams - This is the only team that could really use a WR, but their ageing defense seems to be a higher priority.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Sam Backer/Jake Long - All their skill positions on offense are set, so the only thing left is to fix the OL.

6. Washington Redskins - Alan Branch - Spent a lot of money on WR's in FA last year, and their defense was very disappointing in 06 so starting the fix with a DT seems logical.

7. Minnesota Vikings - Do I really need to put his name here? hah...Yea, this all may be a stretch, but most of the teams before us are set at WR and have bigger holes to fill. If each team drafted by need and not best player available it could happen. If all else fails we could trade our first round pick and Smoot to Tampa/Cleveland for their pick.

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

I had thought about Adalius Thomas as well, but I didn't realize he was a UFA. If we made no other offseason moves except to pick him up, I'd still piss my britches with excitement.

Your analysis is fantastic, Paul, and it leaves a lot of room for remaining hopeful for the offseason and next season. Thanks for taking the time.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Great post, Paul!

I have to agree with most of it, except, and I think this will be the common theme, I believe we should make a play for Dwayne Jarrett. Other than that I agree with your points and commend you on a fantastic break-down of the Vikings' needs and the players who best fill them.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast