Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: My Offseason Dream

Since we're dreaming

this kind of sounds like fun...I'm trying to keep mine reasonable, but obviously a lot will happen between now and the draft at the end of April, and obviously, the contracts are total guesswork...so, who knows?

Mine starts with Jared Allen at DE...he will be expensive, but most likely worth it.
    Lets say he gets a large bonus up front with a more reasonable salary that is boosted by easily earned incentives.
    5 years, 20 mill bonus, 2.5 mill/year plus 100,000 for each sack, and 10,000 for each tackle behind the LOS.
    Total package between 35 and 45 mill?
    around 8 mill/year total?

Ken Hamlin at S from DAL...5 years, 15 mill up front with 3 mill/year...or around 6 mill/year total

Bryant Johnson at WR from ARI...4 years, 12 mill bonus and around 3 a year...again, 6 mill/year total

Max Starks OT from PIT...young and massive 6'7" 337lbs, five years...17.5 mill up front, 3.5 mill/year...7 mill/year.

Maybe, the guy at QB is Sage Rosenfels in HOU.
    I'm thinking we trade a 4th or 5th.
    I was thinking, maybe one of our 3rds for Warner in ARI, but his success has always come with a top notch group of WRs...Sage had a pretty good year for HOU with their No.1 WR out, and their No.1 RB missing a bunch of time too.
    His career numbers:
    comp% is 60.6, 24TD/19INT, and only 3 fumbles lost.
    Warner has obviously played more, but has 80 career fumbles with 33 lost.
    So, if it isn't obvious, I'm still giving TJack the best shot at starting QB, but trying to improve our depth and competition at the position.

Drops/FA lost:
    Holcomb, Williamson, the oft injured, Tank & Doss, Dwight, Spencer, Dontarious, Mewelde,

That shores up our offensive line for the foreseeable future, improves our secondary, improves our pass rush, and improves our backup QB, allowing us to truly take the BPA and add depth/projects in the draft.
    I'd still look for a WR early with the potential to be a true No.1, a S to study under Sharper, and an OL with the athletic ability to backup multiple spots, perhaps someday replacing Birk.
    Probably, another QB project late...and a third RB too.

Total cost of 27 mill/year, should leave us enough room to sign draft picks, resign our ST ace, Farwell, and still be under the cap...?
    I'm still looking for an up to date cap number???
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Since we're dreaming

this kind of sounds like fun...I'm trying to keep mine reasonable, but obviously a lot will happen between now and the draft at the end of April, and obviously, the contracts are total guesswork...so, who knows?

Mine starts with Jared Allen at DE...he will be expensive, but most likely worth it.
    Lets say he gets a large bonus up front with a more reasonable salary that is boosted by easily earned incentives.
    5 years, 20 mill bonus, 2.5 mill/year plus 100,000 for each sack, and 10,000 for each tackle behind the LOS.

Ken Hamlin at S from DAL...5 years, 15 mill up front with 3 mill/year...or around 6 mill/year total

Bryant Johnson at WR from ARI...4 years, 12 mill bonus and around 3 a year...again, 6 mill/year total

Max Starks OT from PIT...young and massive 6'7" 337lbs, five years...17.5 mill up front, 3.5 mill/year...7 mill/year.

I was thinking, maybe one of our 3rds for Warner in ARI, but his success has always come with a top notch group of WRs...Sage had a pretty good year for HOU with their No.1 WR out, and their No.1 RB missing a bunch of time too.
    His career numbers:
    So, if it isn't obvious, I'm still giving TJack the best shot at starting QB, but trying to improve our depth and competition at the position.

Drops/FA lost:
    Holcomb, Williamson, the oft injured, Tank & Doss, Dwight, Spencer, Dontarious, Mewelde,

That shores up our offensive line for the foreseeable future, improves our secondary, improves our pass rush, and improves our backup QB, allowing us to truly take the BPA and add depth/projects in the draft.
    I'd still look for a WR early with the potential to be a true No.1, a S to study under Sharper, and an OL with the athletic ability to backup multiple spots, perhaps someday replacing Birk.

Total cost of 27 mill/year, should leave us enough room to sign draft picks, resign our ST ace, Farwell, and still be under the cap...?
    I like this one MountainV, it's reasonable, and covers some of our areas in need.

I don't think there would be a chance that Allen hits the market. But maybe if you substitute with a guy like Justin Smith from Cincy, it sounds good.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Oh, oh, these guys say we only have 14.88 this year.
    http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/numbers.asp

Doh!
    SI says the same number!
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/12/09/week14/4.html

You guys got anything that says we'll have more?

Yeah, Smith or Suggs might be more affordable too...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:

Doh!
    SI says the same number!

Thats the number at that point of the season, before everything else is taken into account such as cuts and unreached incentives. We're due some money from Pat Williams' contract, and I'm sure other players have similar loopholes in their deals.

"mountainviking" wrote:

Doh!
    SI says the same number!

The Pat Williams deal was designed to create an addition $13.2 million in cap space by itself this year.
    We had a bunch of extra space under the cap and put in 'likely to be earned' incentives, which count against the cap in the year they occur.
    However, the incentives were based on the number of receptions (no, I don't mean interceptions) Pat Williams got, so there was no way they were going to happen.
    When a 'likely to be earned' incentive is not earned, the value of that is credited towards the next years cap.

So that alone puts us at about $28 million.
    I think there are usually a few other similar adjustments (but not worth nearly as much), and then players will get cut.
    I expect us to be at least at the $30 million mark, and maybe near $40 million depending on what people go.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Since we're dreaming

His career numbers:

Drops/FA lost:

I sure hope Spielman checks this page my friend as I think you solved our problems.

I like it.
    ;D
    At least the areas you covered.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"mountainviking" wrote:

that is the most important one..this team cannot afford to miss out on him..anything he asks for, he should get from us
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Overlord" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

Doh!
    SI says the same number!

The Pat Williams deal was designed to create an addition $13.2 million in cap space by itself this year.
    We had a bunch of extra space under the cap and put in 'likely to be earned' incentives, which count against the cap in the year they occur.
    However, the incentives were based on the number of receptions (no, I don't mean interceptions) Pat Williams got, so there was no way they were going to happen.
    When a 'likely to be earned' incentive is not earned, the value of that is credited towards the next years cap.

So that alone puts us at about $28 million.
    I think there are usually a few other similar adjustments (but not worth nearly as much), and then players will get cut.
    I expect us to be at least at the $30 million mark, and maybe near $40 million depending on what people go.
    You said it way better than I did.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"olson_10" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

that is the most important one..this team cannot afford to miss out on him..anything he asks for, he should get from us
    Behold of the upcoming franchise tag

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"cogitans" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

Behold of the upcoming franchise tag
    And yet we will still see post later on this year about how the Chiller should be fired because he didn't somehow find a way to circumvent that obvious move by the KC Chiefs.

Sometimes this place really does crack me up.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast