Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: My ideas for free agency this season.

Im gonna re-post my FA thing from yesterday

We have 23 million in cap room to spend on free agents this year(Red was such an donkey butt, but he could manage money like none other), we can afford to sign Edgerrin James, Keep Burleson, Koren Robinson, Edinger, hopefully Keith Newman(but I don't think we will, Tomlin is gonna want more solid tacklers at the OLB positions) and Fonoti(if he can control his weight). Even with those signings, it's only one big name, Edgerrin James, Burleson, Koren, Edinger, and Fonoti will not cost us much and we will have room to bring in a lineman like Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks, or Stephen Nea from the Patriots, to protect our two big investments, Culpepper and possibly Edgerrin.

The people we will lose, but surely replace in the draft are Corey Chavous(who I really hate to see go, but I don't think we are resigning him) Michael Bennett(who I say we try to send to Arizona for Adrian Wilson.(Denny Green called Bennett "A gift from God", so he might go for that trade), Moe Williams, Brian Williams(Who played great this year, and I would rather have than Smoot), Lance Johnstone and Sam Cowart, who are both old. We won't really lose anyone else of real importance.

In the draft we could get either Michael Huff from Texas, or Jimmy Williams to play safety in place of Chavous, they're both first rounders, but one should definitely fall to us, hopefully Williams, he has better size, and is a harder hitter.

We could also take a linebacker, like D'Qwell Jackson, to play that MLB spot. Although I think EJ Henderson or Dontarrious Thomas are both suited greatly for the Tampa 2 MLB spot.

A guy I hear a lot about who is a guard out of USC Taitusi Lutui. He's being compared to David Dixon, he's 6'6 365, and played on that USC line, so we know he's good. I'm really not sure what we will do about the Right Tackle position.

There's a million things we can do to improve the team this off season, and with new coaching and new ownership, along with a lot of money to spend, I see us making a bunch of signing within the first few weeks of Free Agency.

Hopeful/Realistic lineup for next season would be

QB: Daunte Culpepper
    RB: Edgerrin James*
    WR#1: Koren Robinson*
    WR#2: Nate Burleson*
    TE: Jermaine Wiggins
    FB/TE: Jimmy Kleinsasser
    LT: Bryant McKinnie
    LG: Toniu Fonoti*
    C: Matt Birk
    RG: Marcus Johnson
    RT: anyone but Rosenthal, possible sign John Runyan?*

CB#1: Antoine Winfield
    CB#2: Fred Smoot
    FS: Darren Sharper
    SS: Jimmy Williams/ Michael Huff**
    MLB: EJ Henderson
    Will: Dontarrious Thomas
    Sam: Napoleon Harris
    DE: Kenechi Udeze
    DT: Pat Williams
    DT: Kevin Williams
    DE: Erasmus James

K: Paul Edinger*
    P: "The Great One" Chris Kluwe

*=Sign/Resign
    **=Rookie

EDIT : The only way we can trade Michael Bennett is if we put a Franchise Tag on him, which seems unlikely, but I've seen stranger things happen.

I think that's very realistic with our cap room.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Its settled then, we get Peterson/Witherspoon, a stud OL and either a RB or SS in FA. Keep CP/BJ, resign KRob, Fonoti(still not sure on this guy though) and BWill. Dump CC. Look to the draft for a feature RB(Williams,White,Maroney) and/or Safety(Huff,Williams) and depth at the rest.

If we could sign 3 key players in FA (LB, OL, RB or SS) we'd be doing excellent.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

QB: Stay with Daunte, BJ backup and draft a 3rd stringer like Shockley or McNeal maybe..

RB: Lets try and get a big name, put up the numbers for Edge or Alexander if he dont resign with the Hawks..

WR: I hope we can resign Koren and use him as #1, Nate is a better #2 guy i think..

TE: Wiggins still has years in him, we could might need a 2nd string TE, look at Matt Schobel maybe, or draft a guy like Byrd..

FB: Kleinsasser is good but if we get Alexander, me might try to pick up he's Seahawks FB who is also a FA if i remember right, Mack Strong..

LT: McKinnie is a beast, no need here..

LG: Resign Fonoti, he could really block for a big time RB..

C: Biiiiiiiirk!, He's our center.. Cut Fowler he should be a starting center somewhere, just not here..

RG: Lets try again with Johnson, but we could also go with OG Jean-Gilles of Georgia, he's the best Guard out there and really a best, also take a look at Davin Joseph in the draft..

RT: Im all-in for Runyan, he's got experience and knows the offense we are going to run, he might be old but we can use expierence next to a guy like Johnson or another draft pick.

CB: Winfield and Smoot can be our starting CB's, Let B-Will go with Tice to Jacksonville, i love the guy but we can do without him, im sure of that..

S: Sharper is awesome, Chavous could have one more season here, but if not lets try Carpenter of the Falcons.. FA.. Archuleta should be a very solid pickup too..

MLB: Lets try for Jackson or Hodge in the draft, both Thurmann and Tatupu had awesome seasons in there defences this year, one of thoose guys should drop to second round, lets pick one up there.. with that said we shouldnt resign Cowart

OLB: Lets try a resign Newman, he's a good passrusher and can do things well, we also have Napo in there still .. lets hope this year is his year.. and then pick up, as many have said before either Peterson or Whiterspoon.

DE: No Need at all, Erasmus James and Udeze should be our starting DE's, we should try and resign Johnstone for one more year, he could be 2nd string DE and go in with experience on passingdowns.

DT: Lets just stay with that we got..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

"mr.woo" wrote:
    you may be the only one on this sight that wants shaun hill back... and besides that thats pretty much impossible to get all of that
    I agree Shaun Hill is a Bum. I dont think he has ever shined in pre-season

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

*DON'T Sign Drew Brees

*Re-sign Shaun Hill...ONLY if there are NO other cheaper options.

*DO NOT re-sign Moe or Bennett. Instead pick up Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James, or Jamal Lewis...the rest aren't worth it.

*Re-sign Koren, and KEEP Burleson..no need to spend big bucks on FAs...Koren will cost enough to keep.

*For tight ends, we are SET...Teyo Johnson won't be available and we have Angulo and Berton to be backups.

*For tackles get L.J. Shelton or draft Marcus McNeil (Runyon is too old...look at what happened when we last traded for an OT (Rosenthal))

*Guards, re-sign Fonoti to play LG, and put Marcus Johnson at RG

*Keep Edinger

*I agree we're set for punting with Kluwe.

*Resign Johnstone...he is still VERY productive on passing downs...Abraham will cost WAY TOO MUCH and we already have a ton invested in Udeze, James and Scott, three good, young DEs

*I also agree that we are so set at DT that it isn't even funny

*Re-sign Brian Williams (and convince him to start at SS), let Ralph Brown go, and get a decent back up corner such as R.W. McQuarters. Smoot STAYS.

*Dont re-sign Chavous (if we can convince BWill to stay and convert to SS)...if he won't, then go for Adam Archuleta, Keion Carpenter, or Tank Williams in FA.

*Re-sign Newman (he is very effective at SLB), let Raonall Smith go and ONLY let Cowart go if we can get either Julian Peterson or Will Witherspoon.
    Another option is if Dontarrious can step in this season at MLB (he played well there in his rookie season in spot duty when EJ got hurt). Start EJ at WLB...he played well there last season and is better suited there than MLB.

That's MY assessment based on your suggestions...draft should focus on getting whatever we don't get in FA...with a STUD RB the FIRST priority IMO and a STUD OL if we can't get DeAngelo, LenDale or Maroney (in that order). STUD LB in the second round to step in as a SOLID backup and eventual starter. Solid picks in the third and fourth round to give us depth in the secondary and OL. Projects in rounds 5 through 7, preferably in areas where we already have strengths.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

i wanna keep koren and burleson. we don't need abraham at all, i'd like edge the most and a good linebacker like julian peterson. and oh fix our o line. however i do believe one of our receivers will be gone; and after the year taylor had it won't be him, marcus robinson is too valuable for enzone plays and koren robinson is the guy we want to keep the most so it probably will be burleson who leaves.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"Mr Anderson" wrote:
    Im gonna re-post my FA thing from yesterday

We have 23 million in cap room to spend on free agents this year(Red was such an donkey butt, but he could manage money like none other), we can afford to sign Edgerrin James, Keep Burleson, Koren Robinson, Edinger, hopefully Keith Newman(but I don't think we will, Tomlin is gonna want more solid tacklers at the OLB positions) and Fonoti(if he can control his weight). Even with those signings, it's only one big name, Edgerrin James, Burleson, Koren, Edinger, and Fonoti will not cost us much and we will have room to bring in a lineman like Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks, or Stephen Nea from the Patriots, to protect our two big investments, Culpepper and possibly Edgerrin.

The people we will lose, but surely replace in the draft are Corey Chavous(who I really hate to see go, but I don't think we are resigning him) Michael Bennett(who I say we try to send to Arizona for Adrian Wilson.(Denny Green called Bennett "A gift from God", so he might go for that trade), Moe Williams, Brian Williams(Who played great this year, and I would rather have than Smoot), Lance Johnstone and Sam Cowart, who are both old. We won't really lose anyone else of real importance.

In the draft we could get either Michael Huff from Texas, or Jimmy Williams to play safety in place of Chavous, they're both first rounders, but one should definitely fall to us, hopefully Williams, he has better size, and is a harder hitter.

We could also take a linebacker, like D'Qwell Jackson, to play that MLB spot. Although I think EJ Henderson or Dontarrious Thomas are both suited greatly for the Tampa 2 MLB spot.

A guy I hear a lot about who is a guard out of USC Taitusi Lutui. He's being compared to David Dixon, he's 6'6 365, and played on that USC line, so we know he's good. I'm really not sure what we will do about the Right Tackle position.

There's a million things we can do to improve the team this off season, and with new coaching and new ownership, along with a lot of money to spend, I see us making a bunch of signing within the first few weeks of Free Agency.

Hopeful/Realistic lineup for next season would be

QB: Daunte Culpepper
    RB: Edgerrin James*
    WR#1: Koren Robinson*
    WR#2: Nate Burleson*
    TE: Jermaine Wiggins
    FB/TE: Jimmy Kleinsasser
    LT: Bryant McKinnie
    LG: Toniu Fonoti*
    C: Matt Birk
    RG: Marcus Johnson
    RT: anyone but Rosenthal, possible sign John Runyan?*

CB#1: Antoine Winfield
    CB#2: Fred Smoot
    FS: Darren Sharper
    SS: Jimmy Williams/ Michael Huff**
    MLB: EJ Henderson
    Will: Dontarrious Thomas
    Sam: Napoleon Harris
    DE: Kenechi Udeze
    DT: Pat Williams
    DT: Kevin Williams
    DE: Erasmus James

K: Paul Edinger*
    P: "The Great One" Chris Kluwe

*=Sign/Resign
    **=Rookie

EDIT : The only way we can trade Michael Bennett is if we put a Franchise Tag on him, which seems unlikely, but I've seen stranger things happen.

I think that's very realistic with our cap room.
    Offensively, I love it and it is very do able! We would only be signing 2 new players there and keeping some of our current guys. The one glaring weakness I see with the defense is our LB's I still think the only thing holding us back from having a top tier defense is our linebacking core.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Redrouster is offline Pro-Bowler

I have been off the net for a month, have there been any published rumors about any of the big names( James/Alexander), or is it just chatter?
    Red

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

We need Hutchinson & Peterson ans possibly Bentley. Edge or Alexander would be nice but they may be getting a bit too old for RB position these days. I think we sould draft a good RB that will be with us for 7-8 years so we wont have to worry about getting a RB for a while. Also wh have Onterrio Smith back and I believe he has the potential to be a feature back if he gets his head straight. We need to re-sign Koren Robinson , Burelson, B Williams. Offord looks like he can take over for Chavous if we lose him. We do need a big time WR also if we lose Burelson or K Rob and I think Brandon Lloyd would fit in pretty well. He showed alot of promise in San Fran with no QB. He makes some pretty good catches too and isn't afraid to take a hit going for the ball.

i agree with your thoughts except for a couple, why would you let Lance Johnstone go?! he is a great pass rusher and we don't have to pay an arm and a leg like Abraham wants!!! Secondly, don't release any corner, maybe Smoot in a trade would be nice, but definately don't cut ralph brown!! Ralph did a good job, and he still young and can improve in time, thats what this team needs. They need a coach that is willing to take some low seasons to develop players that can become good. I also think you should keep Mo around just so he can get experience, he did good this year, not a 30+ carry back but he can be a 3rd down back or maybe some special teams if something goes wrong with Koren. I agree fully with releasing Burleson, give the rook a chance maybe at 3rd or 4th receiver, but i don't think Koren is ready for the 1 spot just yet, I heard something about the Patriots' Branch is a free agent, not sure if true but he could be a good fit in MN.
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast