Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    KevinK is offline Starter

My Experience at the NFL Draft in NYC.........

The Reason:
    On Friday afternoon, I started feeling the excitment of the Draft coming up the this weekend. I know the luster of the draft was less exciting with the Jarred Allen brilliant deal that had happened. But my hours of research studing the Players I was still intriuged with this as an NFL fan.

The Offer:
    I called a ticketbroker and saw he had 1 quantity ticket for 248.00. I said no way. I called the broker and offered him 100.00, he said no way.
    He called me back 10 mins later and said 100.00 was fine and I went to a bar in Manhatten and picked up my ticket. It must have been meant to be.

Walking to Radio City Hall was really exciting. Seeing a parade of different jerseys walking the streets was really cool. Packer Fans booing me and Jets fans harrasing the Pats fans was really funny. I kept asking, "How's Brett gonna do this year?" would wipe the smiles off their faces pretty quickly. The best thing about the day is loving your own team so much and
    loathing your rivals. But all in good fun. The Packer Fans were actually pretty cool but we loved ranking on each other. Thats the best thing about sports.

When I arrived I saw Jaime Dukes hanging outside interviewing different people to each team.
    He suddenly went to a live feed and we all started screaming and showing our colors.
    I was on live tv on NFL access. At the right place at the right time. After the feed ended
    He pointed to my jersey and said "I told everyone AD was special when the Vikes drafted him."
    I said, "The minite he was chosen over Brady Quinn I knew we were in the right direction." Dukes agreed.

Meeting the Commish:
    Outside down the street near all of the Camera crews I saw Roger Goodell. He was shaking hands with the Fans and looked like a politician. I walked over and had serious look on my face.
    I asked him to give BMAC a break on his trial this summer. I explained he was very important to our road to the Superbowl.
    He smiled and said, "If hes guilty he will pay the price"
    I said it would be a favor to me and he smiled and said, "I appreciate where your coming from though."

Getting in the SHORT line:
    I was one of a few people who had assigned seating.
    I felt terriable that some people had been there since 5 am just trying to get in.
    I was actually worried I had to go in that 5000 person cattle line. There was like 100 people in my line. They let us in first. When we got in they gave me a 2008 NFL Draft backpack. Inside of it was freebees like football cards, an NFL draft guide with the Players and their positions, Pens, a mockdraft 1st round contest sponsored by Topps, and yes a hand held radio with batteries. attached was ear phones with radio frequecies to ESPN and NFL Access live coveage.
    I was in heaven......

A few quick Notes:

1. Kansas City Chiefs fans are pissed. All day long I heard them saying, "You owe us" or "That deal sucked for us" etc. All in all, at the end of the day they were happy with their draft. I felt good for both of us.

2. The Jets fans were really pissed when the Raiders stole McFadden at the #4 pick.
    Some of them left after the pick was called. I was shocked. Like 10 percent didnt even wait to here there new player Vernon Gholston!

3. Patriot Fans were the most hated.
    I noticed all teams' fans hated them. Everytime it was a Pats pick all your heard was CHEATERS! CHEATERS! Or Giants fans laughing at them. Or Colts fans etc. etc.

The Lions fans were laughed at for trading down to get Gosder Cherloius (spelling?). The Fans were drained and started to yell Fire Millen over and over.

5. Packer Fans are still in shock. They look like they just got dumped by the prom queen. But most recognized we are the favorite in the NFC north now. Most were actually pretty down to earth and very knowlegable.

6.The Titans pick of RB Johnson was the most bizarre pick of the first round(besides the Lions).
    Alot of people scratched their heads and said nothing...

7. I had a chance to go the NFL confessional booth. I spoke of The Allen trade and we have all the pieces to win the SUPERBOWL!!! I predicted AD MVP Superbowl Champion. Jumped around like a rabid idiot.
    It was like I was important. Maybe one day they play it on tv!

8. There were few Purple jerseys in NYC. But all fans agreed we are a scary team next year. Most wore 28 jerseys with some Sharper jerseys I spotted.
    Not one Viking fan knew the PPO.
    I was hoping to meet one of you.........

9. The day was perfect but one problem.
    NO BEER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
    Some People looked like it was the end of the world. LOL

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Re: My Experience at the NFL Draft in NYC.........

Wow!!! that most have been a blast.... I have to go one of these years!!

The thing i liked most about your experience was that you got to talk to the commish! and what you said is hilarious hopefully Bmac is not guilty!!!

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

That must have been truly special.

Thank you for sharing, it were really fun to get an inside view from RCM Hall

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach

That's awesome man!
    I bet you're glad you decided to go, it sucks the Vikes were short on picks this year but the atmosphere alone must be worth it.

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Awesome story/post!

Am I the only one concerned about the commish's response regarding BMAC?
    "If he's guilty, he'll pay the price.".
    Sounds like more than a four game suspension if convicted...although maybe that is the max?

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Man what a great deal for the money.
    I agree though... it woulda been hard with no beer!

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    Awesome story/post!

Am I the only one concerned about the commish's response regarding BMAC?
    "If he's guilty, he'll pay the price.".
    Sounds like more than a four game suspension if convicted...although maybe that is the max?
    Hopefully hes not guilty

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Great post!
    All that for $100?
    Let's all hope the Allen deal is as good.

The Chief fans should be bitching at Peterson for not making the long term deal with Allen.
    But the Chiefs had a very good draft that may be the foundation for a SB in a few years.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

Good stuff man.
    I do think that the commish's response was pretty ominous as well.
    Hopefully BMac will pay off the bouncer to drop the charges.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

"KevinK" wrote:

The Lions fans were laughed at for trading down to get Gosder Cherloius (spelling?). The Fans were drained and started to yell Fire Millen over and over.
    Lions fans... when will the suffering end?
    ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast