mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

MV's Early Insane Off Season Strategy

Whoa… Just had an insane offseason idea...probably not even possible with all the new CBA wierdness going on (see below), but, maybe? :P

First, sign Julius Peppers to play opposite of Allen and then trade a huge stack of picks to move up high enough in the draft to grab one of the top two BIG BOYs, Suh or McCoy! Only a top-notch tackle should be Pat’s eventual replacement! Could be, a team like STL needs multiple picks and can't afford a no.1 salary...and is thus more open to flexing the value chart. Then, find a way to upgrade coverage...whether it be by moving back into a late first, early second round value pick or signing a FA upgrade, or, maybe we have him and he just needed a bit more experience (Sapp? A.Allen? Sanford???) But, with Griffin's and Winfield's injuries and our continued weakness vs. the pass, I'd really like to see some top-notch competition for playing time in the secondary. Good Chance, Our vets questioning retirement see these upgrades and can’t help but come back for another round cuz it simply looks like too much fun!! The Brett Favre once again, retires and then unretires after the moves, setting yet another weird record!!! LOL!!! ;D

Impossible you say?? Please consider: We’ll need to pick a high tender for Ray, tops in my book! The guy tore up the playoffs!!! (a 2nd might hold Jackson?) Perhaps, Ray signs a huge contract elsewhere and we get a 1st and 3rd pick in return…combined with our first and third just may be enough to trade all the way up? And, we get to start negotiating contract immediately!

Although, likely way easier to resign Ray, and he is the younger player. He has earned some money, and could be, only just, “realizing his potential.” When you consider our DL’s overall game, they were not only tops in sacks, but 2nd vs. the run…Obviously, a solid unit already, put Pat is considering retirement this year if not, then next! And I love the idea of keeping the Purple People Eaters rocking QB's worlds!!!!! BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Something else I just realized!! An UNcapped year = an Awesome Opportunity to resign our own young guys we know we want to keep, Peterson, Rice, Ray, etc, to early extensions, knowing that what seems big now, will likely end up looking like a lot less later!!

This whole uncapped, last year of the CBA thing apparently has a crap load of changes. In addition to the 2-year increase in experience to be an UN-restricted free agent, there are some pretty major limits on the top eight finishing teams (ie. Vikings) can do in Free Agency.

Here’s some info from a pft link:

"During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the Divisional Playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. They cannot sign any UFAs unless one of theirs is signed by another team.

"For the four clubs that lost in the Divisional Playoffs (Doh! Not Vikings), in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters. Those four only will be permitted to sign one unrestricted free agent for $5.5 million (estimated) or more in year one of the contract, plus the number of their UFAs who sign with another team. They also can sign any unrestricted free agents for less than $3.7 (estimated) million in year one of the contract with limitations on the per year increases.

"In the case of all final eight teams, the first year salary of UFAs they sign to replace those lost cannot exceed the first year salary of the player lost with limitations on the per year increases."

Translation: The Jets (or Vikings?) can't sign a UFA like Julius Peppers. They don't have any UFAs that will draw big money on the open market, meaning they can't spend big money. The Jets' most prominent UFAs are FB Tony Richardson, TE Ben Hartsock, DE Marques Douglas and PK Jay Feely.

For example: If Feely signs a one-year deal with the Giants for $2 million, the Jets can go out and get a UFA for no more than $2 million in the first year.

The "Final Eight Rule" doesn't apply to players that get cut. For example: If the Patriots cut LB Adalius Thomas, the Jets can sign him for as much as they want. I have a feeling the pool of released players will have more intriguing names than usual. With no salary cap, teams can dump big-money players without having to worry about cap ramifications
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/01/jets-face-severe-restrictions.html#ixzz0eDcHQgvP

Hmmm, here’s where Chester Taylor getting a nice FAT contract elsewhere could actually help us!?!?!? How About that Tony Richardson fella? He's only been on the top rushing team how many seasons!!?!??!?

Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple_Jesus is offline Starter

Re:MV's Early Insane Off Season Strategy

I'll tell you what. If we got Peppers to play with Jared, Kevin, and Phat Pat, I would cream my pants. That d line would beat the hell out of the original Purple People Eaters. Extremely wishful thinking, it would be amazing but I don't think it would happen.

I agree with you too. I don't want any other tackle learning from Kevin and Pat then Suh. But I think he's going with the first overall pick, so that's wishful thinking again.

I do, however, see us getting McCoy. I'm just concerned about his durability. Then again, everyone was concerned about AP's durability and he's been a beast. If we could keep Favre for one more year though to groom McCoy, I'm pretty confident we'd have a good future franchise QB.

True. Extremely wishful thinking!! But wow!! Wouldn't that be amazing!?!?!??

Peppers Phat Pat/Suh Kevin Will Jared Allen

(rotation)

I was talking about Gerald McCoy, DT from OK...most mocks have him going top five if not second behind Suh. But, I am OK with a 2nd or later for the other one. I'm not real excited about any of this year's QBs...seems they all need work, healing etc. Tebow is intrigueing as a leader and versatility but does have a weird arcing catapult-like release. Clausen from ND? Bradfords stack of injuries? Pikes a system guy?

I don't suppose many will like this, but I'm OK with Jackson and Rosenfels as our top options with a later round developmental guy as a third...IF Favre doesn't decide to give it one more go around!?!?? The way the team seems to have improved...OL, WRs, TE etc growing up and getting comfy...IF those 2 QBs learned a bit on reading Ds from the Favre, we could be dangerous with either of them, especially given our strength running.

If there is no CBA ... since we are in the top 8 in the league ... we may not be allowed to sign Peppers because we would have to lose a FA of equal or greater value first.

But ... if at all possible ... I would love to go get Peppers and would love to trade up to get Suh, but the Suh trade is not possible. We could possibly get up high enough to get McCoy though.
    None

Maybe? Slightly possible with Ray and Chester getting big contracts elsewhere...? IDK...I think STL might be more open to trading out at a lesser value if they feel it helps the team overall and saves them from paying a top pick price.

The other thing is, that we have most of a solid core of good players already...I'm not sure we need all our picks anyway.

Maybe we're better off with Ray Edwards. He's younger, and might be getting better. What about the possibility of our 1st, 3rd, next years 3rd and Mr. Bryant McKinnie for STL's top pick? They sure as hell need help on OL!! They could still probably get one of the top three QBs at 30, upgrade their OL and would then have a handful of later picks for depth/developmental guys...that a rebuilding team can obviously use.

mountainviking wrote:
    Maybe? Slightly possible with Ray and Chester getting big contracts elsewhere...? IDK...I think STL might be more open to trading out at a lesser value if they feel it helps the team overall and saves them from paying a top pick price.

The other thing is, that we have most of a solid core of good players already...I'm not sure we need all our picks anyway.

Maybe we're better off with Ray Edwards. He's younger, and might be getting better. What about the possibility of our 1st, 3rd, next years 3rd and Mr. Bryant McKinnie for STL's top pick? They sure as hell need help on OL!! They could still probably get one of the top three QBs at 30, upgrade their OL and would then have a handful of later picks for depth/developmental guys...that a rebuilding team can obviously use.
    Now someone is talking with some sense.

I see no reason to overpay for a 29-year-old Peppers when we can keep a 24-year-old Edwards for considerably less. I understand Peppers is better, but not worth the ridiculous amount more in cash it would cost IMO.

And that is WAY too much to give up for Suh. I think McKinnie gets a bad wrap around here personally. And to give him up and give up a large chunk of our draft makes him more difficult to replace.

We won't have a shot at Suh, but could make a run at McCoy in the right situation.
    None

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

I see no reason to overpay for a 29-year-old Peppers when we can keep a 24-year-old Edwards for considerably less. I understand Peppers is better, but not worth the ridiculous amount more in cash it would cost IMO.

And that is WAY too much to give up for Suh. I think McKinnie gets a bad wrap around here personally. And to give him up and give up a large chunk of our draft makes him more difficult to replace.

We won't have a shot at Suh, but could make a run at McCoy in the right situation.
    Give up on McKinnie? He's a complete tool who is one of the main reasons people think Peppers is worthwhile.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

mountainviking wrote:
    Whoa… Just had an insane offseason idea...probably not even possible with all the new CBA wierdness going on (see below), but, maybe? :P

First, sign Julius Peppers to play opposite of Allen and then trade a huge stack of picks to move up high enough in the draft to grab one of the top two BIG BOYs, Suh or McCoy! Only a top-notch tackle should be Pat’s eventual replacement! Could be, a team like STL needs multiple picks and can't afford a no.1 salary...and is thus more open to flexing the value chart. Then, find a way to upgrade coverage...whether it be by moving back into a late first, early second round value pick or signing a FA upgrade, or, maybe we have him and he just needed a bit more experience (Sapp? A.Allen? Sanford???) But, with Griffin's and Winfield's injuries and our continued weakness vs. the pass, I'd really like to see some top-notch competition for playing time in the secondary. Good Chance, Our vets questioning retirement see these upgrades and can’t help but come back for another round cuz it simply looks like too much fun!! The Brett Favre once again, retires and then unretires after the moves, setting yet another weird record!!! LOL!!! ;D

Impossible you say?? Please consider: We’ll need to pick a high tender for Ray, tops in my book! The guy tore up the playoffs!!! (a 2nd might hold Jackson?) Perhaps, Ray signs a huge contract elsewhere and we get a 1st and 3rd pick in return…combined with our first and third just may be enough to trade all the way up? And, we get to start negotiating contract immediately!

Although, likely way easier to resign Ray, and he is the younger player. He has earned some money, and could be, only just, “realizing his potential.” When you consider our DL’s overall game, they were not only tops in sacks, but 2nd vs. the run…Obviously, a solid unit already, put Pat is considering retirement this year if not, then next! And I love the idea of keeping the Purple People Eaters rocking QB's worlds!!!!! BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Something else I just realized!! An UNcapped year = an Awesome Opportunity to resign our own young guys we know we want to keep, Peterson, Rice, Ray, etc, to early extensions, knowing that what seems big now, will likely end up looking like a lot less later!!

This whole uncapped, last year of the CBA thing apparently has a crap load of changes. In addition to the 2-year increase in experience to be an UN-restricted free agent, there are some pretty major limits on the top eight finishing teams (ie. Vikings) can do in Free Agency.

Here’s some info from a pft link:

"During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the Divisional Playoffs in the previous season have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. They cannot sign any UFAs unless one of theirs is signed by another team.

"For the four clubs that lost in the Divisional Playoffs (Doh! Not Vikings), in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters. Those four only will be permitted to sign one unrestricted free agent for $5.5 million (estimated) or more in year one of the contract, plus the number of their UFAs who sign with another team. They also can sign any unrestricted free agents for less than $3.7 (estimated) million in year one of the contract with limitations on the per year increases.

"In the case of all final eight teams, the first year salary of UFAs they sign to replace those lost cannot exceed the first year salary of the player lost with limitations on the per year increases."

Translation: The Jets (or Vikings?) can't sign a UFA like Julius Peppers. They don't have any UFAs that will draw big money on the open market, meaning they can't spend big money. The Jets' most prominent UFAs are FB Tony Richardson, TE Ben Hartsock, DE Marques Douglas and PK Jay Feely.

For example: If Feely signs a one-year deal with the Giants for $2 million, the Jets can go out and get a UFA for no more than $2 million in the first year.

The "Final Eight Rule" doesn't apply to players that get cut. For example: If the Patriots cut LB Adalius Thomas, the Jets can sign him for as much as they want. I have a feeling the pool of released players will have more intriguing names than usual. With no salary cap, teams can dump big-money players without having to worry about cap ramifications
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/01/jets-face-severe-restrictions.html#ixzz0eDcHQgvP

Hmmm, here’s where Chester Taylor getting a nice FAT contract elsewhere could actually help us!?!?!? How About that Tony Richardson fella? He's only been on the top rushing team how many seasons!!?!??!?

Fun to read your take. Since there have been major moves in the offseason for the past three years it wouldn't surprise me if something happens that is phenomenal. That line would be incredible, may not even need a QB, just a kicker.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    mountainviking wrote:

I don't see what that situation would be. Either Suh or McCoy should have a horrible combine if you want either of them to fall out of the top 3.

Or someone has to have an absolutely amazing combine and propel himself into the top 3. Derrick Morgan to the Bucs, for instance.

Both will mean giving up half your draft, though.

Maybe you don't need a lot of guys right now, but a trade like Ditka made with NO can set your franchise back bigtime. I know that you want to win now, but trading away your starting LT together with most of your picks for one DT will set you back at OT, CB, S and QB.

As much as everyone complains about McKinnie, I don't think that there's anyone on your roster right now who could replace him. And you won't have a high pick to spend on a LT.

Winfield isn't getting any younger and certainly isn't getting any better in coverage. Griffin might not even be back for the start of the season. And when he comes back, you don't know if this injury has affected his speed, ability to cut and what not. You could most likely use a CB somewhat high in the draft. The 2nd round is stacked this year. Griffin - Allen - (2nd) would make a good trio for the future.

A safety in the top 3 rounds wouldn't hurt. I'd want Madieu Williams removed from the starting line-up as fast as possible. A rookie might even be able to do that.

And a QB, of course, would be great. Zac Robinson would be a nice developmental guy. His draft stock will be going up after the Senior Bowl and, I think, a strong Combine.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Well, that was fun to think about! But, I'm pretty much moved on from that thought. There aren't any limits on signing our own guys. May as well resign Ray. And CT and TJack. And...?

At 30 we could still get a Terrance Cody (if we think he can be motivated) or one of several decent CB prospects...you can never have too much coverage in a pass first league! Could probably still get a decent CB in 2nd...? Maybe move around a lil as needed...still don't think we need all our picks, but the way we've been drafting...guess I'm pretty willing to trust Studwell and co.s judgement.