Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Mr. A's Awesome, Astounding, Amaranthine, Amazing Analysis: 2009 Edition.

"marstc09" wrote:
    FYI sir, our 6th round pick was traded for Kelly Holcomb.
    Thanks. I guess I forgot about him too, it doesn't help that he's not even on the roster anymore lol.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Good stuff Mr. A.
    Sorry, just skimmed it....will read another time.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Truly Awesome!!
    Thanks!!

I like what you said about Jackson.
    I was very impressed with him in those 4 games as well...all vs. playoff teams, as you pointed out.
    PHI had the 3rd pass D in the league, and were 3rd in sacks coming in (just 3 more than the Vikes).
    IMHO those 3 CBs were quite possibly the best nickel in the game last year.
    What was worse, was knowing they were going to blitz the fuck out of us and trying to play smash mouth (our normal gameplan) with them anyway.
    By the time we started rolling Jackson around and running slants it was already too late.
    >

Dude.
    Did you read my mind?
    I like your draft!!!
    Thanks for the vids too.

Interesting note on Loadholt, sounds a bit too much like Cook, huh?
    You know, most zone teams use lighter, faster OL...?
    Decent chance Britton and Beatty are even gone by our pick...

Great year for a trade back my mind...2nds are gold, cuz they cost less and are still pretty likely to produce.
    IF we can get an extra 2nd or two (next years?) or a 2 and 3 this year for our 1st, I'm ALL FOR IT!!
    CLE and SEA just happen to have 2nd + 3rds = our 1st.
    We might miss out on Britt, but we'd have a good shot at Meredith and Brace in the 2nd, and one of those WRs at the top of the third.
    I like the possibilities of Davis and Butler (another early 2nd option!) too, but IF we resign Winfield prior, I think its priority falls greatly.

Time to go to work.
    Hope to check back later!!
    Cheers!!
    Happy Powder Day!!! ;D
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Really great analysis Mr. A.. usually i would have picked something to be nit picky about or completely disagree on but i can honestly say the analysis for our team as spot on in my opinion...

other than that, there were a few differences as far as draft picks, but that's neither here nor there... great job!!!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I agree with most of it. Excellent post Mr. A.

My response won't be as long or as well organized.

Cook has improved and seems to know his assignments. His limitations are physical. Like most oafs, he struggles against fast guys. And he occasionally doesn't finish his blocks when he gets out on a linebacker. But if he learns the snap count, he may make it. I would like to see a late round pickup to push him and offer depth.

AD needs to be on the field for third downs. One reason he isn't is due to how great Chester Taylor is as a pass blocker. CT is exceptional. He sees where the blitz is coming from and engages right away. He's a very stout blocker for his size.

TJ only needs to improve his third down conversion percentage to make this team successful.
    I also feel he needs to ignore Childress and audible his plays during the 2 minute drill. Ok to wait if the clock is stopped, otherwise, it's time to be a leader.

Rice isn't fast enough or physical enough to gain seperation consistantly. I hope that changes when he is healthy. But I also would like to see a big physical receiver drafted. And I sure would not be unhappy to sign Torry Holt instead.

Fullback- Let's draft one for cripes sakes. Or just put Kliensasser back there.

Leslie Frazier- It seemed he let his corners play a little more man after the bye week. The combination of tighter coverage with better D-line pressure was great.
    Tomlin didn't come up with that coverage when he was here.

Safeties- Tyrell had his challenges. That experience should help.
    Madieu exceeded all my expectations.Best safety we've had for awhile.

Corners- Cedric Griffin has really improved his coverage. He is a very physical tackler. I like that. He would get a few more picks if he could catch.
    Winfield had one of his best years. Best tackling corner covered well when allowed to not play off as much.
    Sapp and Gordon are ok. I would like to see an upgrade for our nickel.
    McCauley doesn't seem to cover very well. Not sure what happened with him?

Pat Williams is a very special and rare player. He's atheletic and quick for his size, with good endurance. And he simply can't be moved, even by two men most of the time.
    None of his back ups are able to do what he does. Evans is the only one close.

Robison is a beast on pass plays. But teams run right at him with great success. He'll learn.

Edwards gets some pressure and plays the run ok. Robison should push him this year.

I'm no college football expert so I leave the draft to others.
    I wouldn't mind aquiring an extra pick for next year somehow. Just in case we need to draft a QB.

Just some unorganized ramblings loosley based on your brilliant post, Mr. A.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I'm bumping this one.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE this

Amazing work.. Tons of time put in and it shows.. Thanks man, it is appreciated

Love how u linked players names that was really cool

Deep analysis and videos in here as well

I agree with damn near everything.. And there is nothing I can't agree on.. Even the win/loss and playoff lose as well

Ron Brace man.. Marrdro won't listen cuz he is a Peria Jerry guy.. But I agree 100 percent we don't need a DT in the first and Brace is a Phat Pat clone.. Faster then you would think.. Quick off the line and a great run stopper (in college atleast) Looks to be a much better fit then Peria Jerry who I think is more of a Kevin Williams mold (Which i wouldn't complain having 2 K-wills.. But we can use our first for bigger needs at this point

I too would like Britt or Nicks.. Either or man.. Preferably Nicks for me.. Im sold on the kid

Once again great work!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Solid post for the most part, I really agree about the Offensive Cordinator situation, I just don't discuss it much because I know he is going to be the cordinator. I have seen some improvement in Bevell from his 2nd year, although I thougt we got way to predictable and choked up in the playoff game. I think its important for us to become better pass blockers and get more consistent play from the QB. If we can do that our offense we'll be alot better and make Bevell's job easier, all I can really do here is just stay optomistic that we will see improvement.

Winfield right now is 31 years old, he turns 32 in June so he'll play the entire season at that age. I'm hopefull that we can retain Winfield on a 3 year extension, his role must involve playing slot football and being a contributor on specail teams. His strength is tackling and we could always use him on a specail teams role.

Both Ryan Cook and Herrera need to step up there games. IMO Cook does NOT have physical mountains to get over, he's fast and quick enough to play tackle. What needs to happen is an evolution in his focus and intesity. I question this in Cook, but he is a good run blocker on most accasions. Last if not, in the leauge in given up sacks, and when it happens its realy ugly. He still has opportunity to be a starter but he must be a better pass protector or he'll backing up the starter. Anthony Herrera is not as good as people give him credit for, he lead the league (much like Cook) in sacks given up. He was very inconsistent during the start of the season but played much better as the season grew. Even Steve Hutchison gave up something like 6.5 to 7.5 sacks, all from the insided. The Oline pass protection must improve dramitically if we want to go to the SuperBowl or Protect our QB.

I would have to see more tape on Darius Bulter to claim he has better ball skills than Alphonso Smith. IMO Smith is in a league of his own in terms of playmaking ability, being around the football and being instinctive. He broke the NCAA record for INT's, batted away double digit passess in the past two seasons. His numbers basically trump anyone else. What I like about Smith is his Luck and Instincts. He doesn't have a tall frame or blazing speed by any means, but he does have the Instincts and Luck that are Naturaul. His personality type IMO is similair to Peterson, Wide Eyed, High Energy, Happy, Extremely Confident, everything you want in your locker room.

As far as other positions are concerned I'm big on getting some help on the Oline, getting some players in here that can push and compete for the RT and RG positions. The biggest problem with this is the fact that Tackles shoot off the board, its not that we don't want to draft them, its teams that snatch them. We run our board and select from best players available. By the time 22 comes around I feel confident that one of the other positions are going to be ranked higher than that of any Tackles remaining. Therfor we select a WR , CB, ect. If we get lucky and someone slips that we don't have to reach for, this would be ideal.

We never let Matt Birk go, he left, but we did let Sharper go...

These are my favorite players and all players I would love to see drafted and who I think will be draftable at 22.

Alphonso Smith
    Hakeem Nicks
    Kenny Britt
    Alex Mack
    Heyward-Bey

These are just a few names that I personally like, either way I feel we will make the right decision and get a good football player in round 1.

Again good post Anderson, One of the better ones I have seen, agree with 90% of what was said.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Once Again, Nice Work!!

The other guy you mentioned that I wanted to comment on was Quinn Johnson, FB LSU.

I looked for about an hour and found no good vids on his blocking, but he was very impressive in the Senior Bowl.
    We noticed his intensity early, and started paying attention to him most of the game (thinking, we could use a better FB...)
    He contributed greatly on nearly every big offenisive play for the south...picking up blitzers, sealing the edge, etc...often, knocking dudes on their asses and looking up field for someone else to hit, and taking that guy out too.
    He was also impressive with the ball.
    Tough as nails to tackle (as that 1 hightlight shows) often knocking would be tacklers back and carrying others on his back, and with enough speed to make that initial contact already 3-5 yards down field.
    Impressive.
    He's built to hit, and from what his coaches say, he relishes it, having played LB for several years.
    Perhaps, that plays into why hes so good at knocking them flat!

He can also contribute on STs and possibly even be an emergency LB...

I know, the NFL doesn't use FBs anymore, but this guy is for real, and I'm pretty certain he turned some heads at the Senior Bowl.
    I was thinking we might need to find a 4th in order to grab him, and that may be too late.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

vikes2456 is offline Hall of Famer

I will sacrifice a goat in the gods honor if we somehow get Britt in the second round

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast