Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: Mountain Viking's 2008 Mock First Round

Yeah, I know its a bit of a stretch.
    Just figured, what the hell...kind of approached it like I do March Madness brackets.
    There's going to be some surprises/upsets, so you can't get them all right if you just take the highest rated guy/team all the way through.
    And, I think there will be some trades, and I saw somebody around here last week was calling for a draft with some trades, so I decided to take a stab at a few possibilities.

I'll also agree, that moving up is not usually the Vikings' MO.
    But this year, we have more picks than roster spots that are open, so I fully expect some action.
    Most likely, moving up in the 2nd or third, or even later rounds for guys we are big on that are still available as value fits need picks...much like moving up to grab Robison last year.
    But, we have been looking for a DE to pair with our DTs and rebuild the purple people eaters for years...and we have the cap space to afford a guy in the top ten.
    So, moving up for the top fit for our top need makes more sense than ever before...

I see Chris Long as a better DE fit in a traditional 4-3, a more all around DE, and a better immediate help (already polished) prospect, but with less long term potential/room to grow...more of a what you see is what you get kind of guy.
    I see Gholston as the better pass rusher, a more impressive physical specimen in terms of speed, burst, and leaping to deflect passes, with more long term potential, and a way better fit at LB in a 3-4 if the Phins go there eventually (my feeling is they will some where down the road with Parcells in charge.)
    Long has more experience, and more tackles, but over the past two years, about the same TFL and less sacks.
    Additionaly, (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know all the college divisions all that well) it seems Ohio St. has a higher competition level than Virginia...?
    Here is the quote that sums it up from
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/chrislong.html
    May never be an "elite" NFL defensive end, but he should be a very good player for a long time.
    I think that Gholston has the "rare physical tools," the production, the versatility, is a "hard worker with top intangibles," and is the "best pure pass rusher in the draft," and therefore, has the chance to be an "elite" DE/LB down the road a year or three...and may deserve the first pick, kind of like the Texans taking Mario Williams ahead of Bush and Vince Young.
    Besides, we're built to win now, and the Phins are in full on rebuilding mode...so they've got a year or two to develop guys before they're expected to compete at a playoff level.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/vernongholston.html

Yeah, that durn draft trade chart screws everything up, that's why you've got to throw a player in the mix, to make the rest of those numbers more malleable.

D'oh!
    Yeah, I guess McKinnie's value has already plummeted...I'm just trying to get something out of him.
    Maybe we'd have to sweeten the pot a bit with one of our thirds or a fourth.
    And, of course, I'm looking at possibly moving up in the 2nd some to snag a top OT prospect to take his place down the road.
    I think he's a fit for the Jets because of his run blocking ability and Mangini wanting to be able to pound the ball more effectively.
    DBrick hasn't quite lived up to expectations at LT, is lighter than Mt.Mac, and may fit in well at RT, or even one of the guard spots.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Of course, even if Gholston was the No.1 pick, Long might not make it to 6 or 7.
    He could easily go in pretty much any of those spots.
    Although, I think the need in STL and KC will have them leaning toward OLine, but those are still possibilities, and obviously, the Raiders have the history with Howie Long, and the Falcons need help everywhere.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Yeah, I know its a bit of a stretch.
    Just figured, what the hell...kind of approached it like I do March Madness brackets.
    There's going to be some surprises/upsets, so you can't get them all right if you just take the highest rated guy/team all the way through.
    And, I think there will be some trades, and I saw somebody around here last week was calling for a draft with some trades, so I decided to take a stab at a few possibilities.

I'll also agree, that moving up is not usually the Vikings' MO.
    But this year, we have more picks than roster spots that are open, so I fully expect some action.
    Most likely, moving up in the 2nd or third, or even later rounds for guys we are big on that are still available as value fits need picks...much like moving up to grab Robison last year.
    But, we have been looking for a DE to pair with our DTs and rebuild the purple people eaters for years...and we have the cap space to afford a guy in the top ten.
    So, moving up for the top fit for our top need makes more sense than ever before...

I see Chris Long as a better DE fit in a traditional 4-3, a more all around DE, and a better immediate help (already polished) prospect, but with less long term potential/room to grow...more of a what you see is what you get kind of guy.
    I see Gholston as the better pass rusher, a more impressive physical specimen in terms of speed, burst, and leaping to deflect passes, with more long term potential, and a way better fit at LB in a 3-4 if the Phins go there eventually (my feeling is they will some where down the road with Parcells in charge.)
    Long has more experience, and more tackles, but over the past two years, about the same TFL and less sacks.
    Additionaly, (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know all the college divisions all that well) it seems Ohio St. has a higher competition level than Virginia...?
    Here is the quote that sums it up from
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/chrislong.html
    May never be an "elite" NFL defensive end, but he should be a very good player for a long time.
    I think that Gholston has the "rare physical tools," the production, the versatility, is a "hard worker with top intangibles," and is the "best pure pass rusher in the draft," and therefore, has the chance to be an "elite" DE/LB down the road a year or three...and may deserve the first pick, kind of like the Texans taking Mario Williams ahead of Bush and Vince Young.
    Besides, we're built to win now, and the Phins are in full on rebuilding mode...so they've got a year or two to develop guys before they're expected to compete at a playoff level.
    http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/vernongholston.html

Yeah, that durn draft trade chart screws everything up, that's why you've got to throw a player in the mix, to make the rest of those numbers more malleable.

D'oh!
    Yeah, I guess McKinnie's value has already plummeted...I'm just trying to get something out of him.
    Maybe we'd have to sweeten the pot a bit with one of our thirds or a fourth.
    And, of course, I'm looking at possibly moving up in the 2nd some to snag a top OT prospect to take his place down the road.
    I think he's a fit for the Jets because of his run blocking ability and Mangini wanting to be able to pound the ball more effectively.
    DBrick hasn't quite lived up to expectations at LT, is lighter than Mt.Mac, and may fit in well at RT, or even one of the guard spots.
    Or put in a pick or two from 2009.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I hear Eric Mangini and Jets personnel met with Long in Charlottesville on Monday night. Hmmmm. Probably simple fact-finding. But imagine, Jets fans, a front three of 285-pound Shaun Ellis, 330-pound (they hope) Kris Jenkins and 275-pound Long. Not to rumor-monger, but if the Jets, who pick sixth, fell in love with Long, could they give Parcells enough to entice him to trade out of the pick?

Remember, the last time Parcells had the first pick in the draft, 11 years ago, he was running the Jets and traded the pick to St. Louis for Orlando Pace. By the end of that weekend, the Jets had turned the top pick into seven draft choices. Parcells loves to deal.
    OOPs maybe I had that trade upside down

At least all this rampant speculation is keeping football alive for some of us
    ;D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12