Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More useless draft prognostication...

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what your reaction would be if traded down in the first round IF Sims and Cutler\Young were gone.

The way I see it, DeAngelo Williams will still be around by the time pick 17 comes around and he is the only player that has been impressive enough for a team to jump up for at our pick. Now, there are three teams interested in a running back: Denver, New England, Indianapolis.

Denver has pick 22 but doesn't have a mid round pick to package to move up. They could package their second round pick but according to the pick value chart, that would be an overpayment for the position. That would give us picks: 22, 48, 51, 61, 83, 95

New England picks before Denver at 21 so they may not have reason to jump up to our spot unless they are sold on Williams and are afraid another team will trade into a spot before them to take it. If they were our trade partner, it would make sense to swap first round picks and get their third round pick. We'd still be in a position at 21 to get DeMeco Ryans, Antonio Cromartie, or (if he slips) Greenway. That would give us picks: 21, 48, 51, 75, 83, 95

Lastly, and most probable of all these would be Indianapolis. I've heard that Indy really likes Williams to replace James if they can get him. The problem is that in order to go from pick 30 to 17 they would need to offer their second and fourth round picks to go along with the first round trade. Of course their picks are so late in the round that it is really like getting an early choice of the next round. At 30 we may be able to still pick up Cromartie or Ryans, though doubtful, but we would be able to pick up Hodge or Carpenter. That would give us picks: 30, 48, 51, 83, 95, 113, 126

I'd be happy with a New England or Denver trade but I'm not sure about Indy. Then again I don't want to be forced to pick at 17 if there isn't a guy there that is worth the money a 17 pick costs. Most newer mock drafts have Ernie Sims going to the Eagles at 13 and the QBs being gone before or at the Cardinals' pick.

Well that's enough useless talk for one day. Happy Easter to everyone!!!

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

Re: More useless draft prognostication...

Interesting. I never thought that WE would be the one's to trade down, you always hear about the top 5 trading down. I just hope that Sims falls to us and we don't have to do that, because I'd rather get Sims than trade down. If he's not available, this would be an interesting prospect to look into (although we might get Greenway if he's available and Sims isn't.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

I agree, If one of the big three isn't available, then go for Sims, if he is gone, then look to trade down and pick up another 2nd rounder. I would rather not try to trade up, unless there is someone they think slipped way down.

Thanks Lotza!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

I vote for take the best player out there.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

WOW!!! I can't believe that so many people rather take the best available player instead of the best LB!!! If i had a choice bethween Ernie Simms/ Chad Greenway or Deangelo WIlliams, i will take the player that will have a better chance at starting rather than a player that will be shuffled through rotation like Major League pitchers!!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

D) trade for schaub
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

trade for schaub

Schaub is interesting and I would definitely be all for it; however, that's something that would have to happen before the draft. For the sake of this scenario I was just wondering about people's feelings if we were at 17 without an option to get Sims, Cutler, or Young. I doubt if we get so far as to get on the clock that ATL is going to deal Schaub for our 1st rounder.

-DD

BTW, I think the Schaub thing is just smoke and mirrors at this point. It's just a personal opinion but it seems that Wilf and company are pretty agressive about getting the people they want and they haven't really pursued the Schaub trade with much vigor.
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

trade for schaub

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

LLOHMANN is offline Waterboy

I think we need to take the best available player. If we don't have to give up the farm to get Cutler make a move to do it. But I still have a nervous tick from the Hershell Walker trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast