Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re:More rumblings on AP's contract

Why would a player want just enough money to not worry when they can have loads of money?

I find it funny, th epeople here who make regular to low salaries are bitter towards people making millions. Yeah, they get paid alot to play a game, but thats just how it is. If I were a back making millions, I'd be happy. But if I could be paid more, I'd explore that option.

Look at it this way, lets say you work at a large software company, making 120K a year. Howver you're one of the best, and other companies know that and could compete for your services. 120K is a pretty decent salary, and you should be happy with that right? Well, If you can get your company to pay you more, to guarantee you'll stay, why wouldn't you?

You know you're worth more, they know it. Why sit and be quiet?

Once at my first job, i was working there for 5 years making minimum wage ($8/hour) at the time. new employees hired were making almost $9/hour. I asked my boss if I could make at least that, and guess what? I got it. People didn't look at me and say "Oh, that IBP, he's just in it for the money, he needs to be happy with what he gets and not be selfish" (although, lets be serious, the only reason you get a part-time job when you're 14 is for money) But the point remains.

Nothing wrong with asking. If you start making a big fuss about it, then you're going about it the wrong way. But if Peterson is in fact asking, I have no issue with that.

He's not holding out yet, and is not going to the media. Its the right way to go about it.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Firstly, this has been blown way out of proportion.

AD has said NOTHING to indicate he wants a new contract.

Whats wrong with asking?

If you were at work, and established yoruself as one of the best workers, why wouldn't you ask for a pay raise?
    If I work in a bigtime company that has 100 employees and I'm already getting paid as a top 5 employee, with the option of getting even more if I do my job really well, I'll come off like a complete tosser if I go to the boss and ask for a raise.

But like you said, as long as he keeps it at asking, there's really no problem. Holding out would be a pretty bad move, though.

And word is, he's not asking for MORE money ,he's asking for guaranteed money. In football, one bad hit, and his career can be over. I'd want to be guaranteed my share of money, since we all know the NFL Pension is a joke.
    $13 million if he hits escalators. In one year. That's more than just about every single person will make in a lifetime.

Now, if he was underpaid compared to the other people in his field of work, I could bring up some understanding, but that's not the case, either.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Again, comparing NFL RB's to an average Joe who works 40 hours a week as middle management isn't quite fair. yes, its more than most people make in a lifetime, or even three lifetimes. However, fact remains, top NFL RB's get paid millions and millions. If the Vikings are willing to pay him more, why not look into it?

Currently, his base salary is only a few mil guaranteed. The rest are incentives. Yes, he COULD make 13 mil, but likely won't. The reason teams make incentives, is so a) They don't dish out 13 mil for poor performances, and b) They're willing to pay that much for that much production. They wouldn't offer those incentives if they didn't watn to pay it.

So rather than having $13 mil in possible incentives that he won't get and a $4mil guaranteed bonus, why not at least ask for a better bonus and maybe less incentives?

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

I never have a problem with athletes trying to get more money. It's their right just like everyone of us. Whether they get what they think they deserve is up to the organization to decide. If it backfires on them, I don't feel sorry, just call them a dumbshit and go on. If an organization pays too much for an athlete and ends up hurting the team, than the org is the dumbshit.

If an athlete is comfortable with getting less money to stay with a certain organization, that's great, but its his choice. If money is more important to them, I won't fault them for going elsewhere. It is their life.

Knowing what one is actually worth is a much trickier subject, I'll leave that up to the guys signing the checks and hope they know what they are doing.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Why would a player want just enough money to not worry when they can have loads of money?

I find it funny, th epeople here who make regular to low salaries are bitter towards people making millions. Yeah, they get paid alot to play a game, but thats just how it is. If I were a back making millions, I'd be happy. But if I could be paid more, I'd explore that option.

Look at it this way, lets say you work at a large software company, making 120K a year. Howver you're one of the best, and other companies know that and could compete for your services. 120K is a pretty decent salary, and you should be happy with that right? Well, If you can get your company to pay you more, to guarantee you'll stay, why wouldn't you?

You know you're worth more, they know it. Why sit and be quiet?

Once at my first job, i was working there for 5 years making minimum wage ($8/hour) at the time. new employees hired were making almost $9/hour. I asked my boss if I could make at least that, and guess what? I got it. People didn't look at me and say "Oh, that IBP, he's just in it for the money, he needs to be happy with what he gets and not be selfish" (although, lets be serious, the only reason you get a part-time job when you're 14 is for money) But the point remains.

Nothing wrong with asking. If you start making a big fuss about it, then you're going about it the wrong way. But if Peterson is in fact asking, I have no issue with that.

He's not holding out yet, and is not going to the media. Its the right way to go about it.

I agree with this point bolded above. I just laugh at the premise of Ive heard, or unnamed source........its a ratings and paper seller, it doesnt mean that its true or that AP is disgruntled.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Here we go with the whoe salary thing again. One thing I will say is that at least he's not out there publically making an ass of himself. AP's salary is right up there where it should be. For those of you that don't remember he did miss a couple of TC days his rookie season because he was "trying to take care of his family."

Just like anyone else, no one is at fault for asking for more money. The fact is he signed his contract which is still a pretty darn good contract. Yes he is a great back, very explosive but let's face it he is still inconsistent at a lot of areas. He needs to learn how to block better and hold onto the football. He's doing better coming out of the backfield so I have nothing to complain about.

Elite players come through in big games. I wouldn't say AP has done that yet. He had a decent game stat-wise against the Aints but he also lost the ball 3 times. Yeah Favre was blamed for one of them and the other two weren't lost. But it doesn't take away the fact he still fumbled.

When he learns to control that then maybe he could whine. Until then he still has 3 years left. He hasn't whined yet so I respect that. But if he does then i would have a problem with it. He's getting a decent salary right now. I don't blame him if he does want more money but I will blame him IF he does whine or IF he holds out. Other than that he is handling things just fine.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Peterson 'puts to rest' possible contract issue

There has been speculation this offseason that Vikings running back Adrian Peterson isn't happy with his contract and that might be one reason he stayed away from the team's three-day minicamp in June.

Peterson hadn't commented on the issue until he was stopped on the red carpet Wednesday night while entering the ESPY awards in Los Angeles. Asked by an NFL Network reporter if the rumors about him being unhappy with his contract could be put to rest, Peterson said, "You can put them to rest."
    Video from ESPYs
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

VikingMike wrote:
    Peterson 'puts to rest' possible contract issue

There has been speculation this offseason that Vikings running back Adrian Peterson isn't happy with his contract and that might be one reason he stayed away from the team's three-day minicamp in June.

Peterson hadn't commented on the issue until he was stopped on the red carpet Wednesday night while entering the ESPY awards in Los Angeles. Asked by an NFL Network reporter if the rumors about him being unhappy with his contract could be put to rest, Peterson said, "You can put them to rest."
    Video from ESPYs
    Great find! The video is AWESOME!!

AP Says
    I saw Drew Brees at the W Hotel and told him : y'all better be ready for the beating we are gonna give you Sept 9.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

I haven't had a raise in 3 years and have renew our companies top 2 accounts for another 5 years, about 65% of our revenue stream........kinda mailed it in today and went home early to drink beer before my holidays started. Only problem is most of the top management left an hour before me :huh: fargin bastages

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

It won't matter. League is going to lockout after Bradford gets the biggest contract in the history of the league in the next week.
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast