Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Brewtal is offline Starter

Re: "Mock Drafts I Like/Find Interesting" Thread

At this point I am a Nate Solder fan. We need to get back to running with Peterson and I see it as our biggest need after QB, just don't like any QB at #12. If we arn't going to protect the QB than it is pointless to draft one anyway.

Geebus is offline Waterboy

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090393
    Hell of a first post and welcome to the site my friend. I hope you post well and often.
    Thx for the kind words, well longtime snooping around the site, time for some comments :-)

The Wilkerson might be a bit of a reach tho i see ham as a great fit beside K-Will. However the latest draft from Drafttek also have Marcell Dareus fall to us, if this will be the case I'd be stoked and wouldnt flinch if we pick him up. I really think they/frazier will make a strong case of strenghtening the d-line.

as for the O-line I believe we need to strengthen our interior line here I like Pouncey who could be great depth on G/C. If we can get him in the 2nd I'd be a happy camper.

So either Trade down and get Solder (OT) later in the first, and then hope to pick up Stephen Pae (DT) in the 2nd.

Or if Marcell Dareus (DT) is around RING THE BELL! and then pray to pick up Pouncey (OG) in the 2nd.

Drafting one of the remaining QB's when we get to pick would be a reach at best. I think the position should be adressed in the 4th (or 3rd if we are in it)

I still hope we somehow find a way to get more picks, we really need some young talent, and stop the tendency to throw away a couple of picks every year after washed up vets.
    None

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Brewtal" #1090487
    At this point I am a Nate Solder fan. We need to get back to running with Peterson and I see it as our biggest need after QB, just don't like any QB at #12. If we arn't going to protect the QB than it is pointless to draft one anyway.
    I got on that bus awhile ago, well, until I watched him get manhandled in the Senior Bowl.

In the end, I still like him, but I don't see us taking a T at 12. I think the staff is gonna focus on fixing the defense first with very little upgrade to the offense.

Two necessary things on offense being QB and C.

Pouncey seems to be the top pick out there as most of the others are all ZB'ing guys like we already have. Cook could step in but he needs a contract. Maybe we will see them step out and get a Vet to play Center.

Qb, well thats the hard part. Probably gonna see one drafted but he isn't gonna be anywhere close to being a starter for 2 to 3 years. No vets are out there that are gonna do any better than mediocre.

Again, fix the defense so you can keep games close and hope your offense can score a few points is what I think we are gonna see for a couple of years.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Geebus" #1090498
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090393
    Hell of a first post and welcome to the site my friend. I hope you post well and often.
    Thx for the kind words, well longtime snooping around the site, time for some comments :-)

The Wilkerson might be a bit of a reach tho i see ham as a great fit beside K-Will. However the latest draft from Drafttek also have Marcell Dareus fall to us, if this will be the case I'd be stoked and wouldnt flinch if we pick him up. I really think they/frazier will make a strong case of strenghtening the d-line.

as for the O-line I believe we need to strengthen our interior line here I like Pouncey who could be great depth on G/C. If we can get him in the 2nd I'd be a happy camper.

So either Trade down and get Solder (OT) later in the first, and then hope to pick up Stephen Pae (DT) in the 2nd.

Or if Marcell Dareus (DT) is around RING THE BELL! and then pray to pick up Pouncey (OG) in the 2nd.

Drafting one of the remaining QB's when we get to pick would be a reach at best. I think the position should be adressed in the 4th (or 3rd if we are in it)

I still hope we somehow find a way to get more picks, we really need some young talent, and stop the tendency to throw away a couple of picks every year after washed up vets.
    Alright, thats two damn fine posts. Gonna add you to a couple of the spreadsheets my friend.

Couple of comments.

a. Picks. I, like you, think we need to get more picks. Problem is, I think most teams are aware that they can just wait and get a guy of equal value if a guy they are targeting is taken. In the end, that means no one will want to move up so you can't get picks that way.

Key note to remember, if the CBA doesn't get fixed by tomorrow, the only way to add players will be via the draft and players that have been outright released. Having said that, no team is gonna want to give up extra picks.

I wouldn't be to suprised to see us go Pouncey at 12 and Paea in the second. Sure would fix both line issues, or atleast have a good start. Lots of DE's around in the later rounds to add depth behind either Griff or Rob/Ray (whoever you resign).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Quote Originally Posted by "Geebus" #1090389
    This is how I hope/think it will go down:

I believe that they really want to get that moss pick (3rd rounder) back. So unless someone they really like falls in our lap at #12 they will try to work out a trade droping lower in the first picking up additional picks in the process.

then with the later 1st we should draft by availability:
    DT Muhammad Wilkerson
    OT Tyron Smith
    OT Nate Solder

With our acquired 2nd we should draft by availability:
    QB Locker
    DT Stephen Paea (really love this kid)
    OG Mike Pouncey

Rd3:
    QB Christian Ponder (if no luck on locker :silly
    OLB Mark Herzlich
    WR Titus Young

Rd4:
    SS Dom DeCicco
    DE Jeremy Beal

P.S. This is all just based on a big gut feeling and should be used for what it is worth :-)
    Your second round is a dream. There is no way Locker is around by the 12th pick of the second round. Pouncey will be gone by the middle of the first round. And paea just set the bench press at the combine he raised his stock susbstantially!! He is probably our best shot of the three to be there though. The other problem with your scenario is to get a 2nd rounder we would almost have to fall out of the first round! No too many teams are going give up their second round pick nowadays. Unless you're Minn.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Quote Originally Posted by "thatjusthappened28" #1090415
    If things went my way... I would trade back in the draft for someone looking for either WR (Seahawks, Falcons, Bears, Chiefs, Chargers) for Julio Jones or RB (Miami, Patriots, Saints) for Ingram and try to get our third back.

1st From there I would draft Mike Pouncey to fill a need at OL (he can play anywhere in the inside C or G)

2nd I would take two looks. One at DT Stephan Paea if he's available or QB Ryan Mallett if available. If neither is there, WR Jonathan Baldwin would be a good pick if Rice is gone. May look at safety like S Carter out of Oklahoma here as well.

3rd Casey Matthews gets a good look in my mind. He's an ILB but i believe he can be able to play any LB position. He's a beast and would be a great pick up for again Leber

4th I think we got to go DE. Jeremy Beal will hopefully drop this far and he's a good ball player.

5th. QB Greg McElroy is a great pick up here. He's played in a pro-style offense, can read a defense, smart kid, and I believe is a winner (won a national championship)

Depends what we do in FA to address late round needs at 6/7. on my board, S, CB, WR

Notable FA:
    S--Atogwe, Sanders, Huff
    CB -- (realistic) -- Cromartie, Wilson, Rogers
    WR -- Edwards, Sims-Walker, R Moss
    DT -- Harris, Mebane, Spears
    DE -- Edwards, Gholston, Johnson, Kiwanuka
    G -- Joseph, Blalock, Dahl
    OLB -- Lawson, Anderson, Nicholas, Black, Leber
    FB -- Kuhn, McClain, Leach
    QB -- veteran to mold our young QB (Bulger, Collins, Hasselbeck a reach)
    RB -- (Not needed) --- plenty that could help over Gerhart, but we won't pay.
    TE -- (not needed)
    T -- (not needed)
    C -- (not needed)
    ILB -- (not needed)
    OT not needed have you seen any games the Vikes played? LT is essential and we need to replace that piece of crap. Loadholdt still has an upside but he took a huge step back last year. Our OT play was one of the worst grades pos. by pos.!!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1090513
    Your second round is a dream. There is no way Locker is around by the 12th pick of the second round. Pouncey will be gone by the middle of the first round. And paea just set the bench press at the combine he raised his stock susbstantially!! He is probably our best shot of the three to be there though. The other problem with your scenario is to get a 2nd rounder we would almost have to fall out of the first round! No too many teams are going give up their second round pick nowadays. Unless you're Minn.
    It is a 3rd rounder we lack :-)
    None

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1090510
    Alright, thats two damn fine posts. Gonna add you to a couple of the spreadsheets my friend.

Couple of comments.

a. Picks. I, like you, think we need to get more picks. Problem is, I think most teams are aware that they can just wait and get a guy of equal value if a guy they are targeting is taken. In the end, that means no one will want to move up so you can't get picks that way.

Key note to remember, if the CBA doesn't get fixed by tomorrow, the only way to add players will be via the draft and players that have been outright released. Having said that, no team is gonna want to give up extra picks.

I wouldn't be to suprised to see us go Pouncey at 12 and Paea in the second. Sure would fix both line issues, or atleast have a good start. Lots of DE's around in the later rounds to add depth behind either Griff or Rob/Ray (whoever you resign).
    1: Trades it will be hard but come draft day GM tend to get frustrated when their target gets picked causing them to make bonehead moves, however I do agree it will be difficult. But would be lovely if no proven talent (of our need) is around.

2: CBA fully agree this no free agency thing is tiresome and could really throw a wrench in our very key offseason.

My priorities remain:
    Interior D-Line (replace the fat one)
    Interior O-line (Hutch is far from what he has, and our depth is not deep)
    QB (would be higher if our draft slot/depth of talent) would allow this
    Safety (Hope we grab Atogwe)
    WO
    DE (Depending on Robison/Edwards - Think we resign robison and throw out edwards)
    O-Tackle to in due time replace Mount M (not this year)
    None

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

NOW we're talking! I pulled up ye old trade chart a few days ago and started doing some math...but wasn't sure where it should go, and now it goes here! :cheer: :P

According to the chart, the 12th pick of the draft is worth 1200.

So, moving back 5 spots, to NE's 17th, should net us around the 4th pick of the 3rd round...Or, Maybe, the Jags want to move up 4 spots, the value difference is 200, or, roughly worth their middle of the third pick.

Moving back 10 spots, to IND's 22nd pick, should net us about the 16th pick of the 2nd round, netting us 3 picks in the top round and a half!

Or, moving way back, say 15 spots to ATL's 27th pick, should bring in around the 6th pick of the 2nd round...OR, perhaps my favorite, would be us going back to NE's 28th, and recieving their 28th pick of the 2nd round, AND our third rounder back (10 of 3rd)!! The total is almost right on at 1180, leaving a lil for ole Bellycheat to feel smart about. Sure, the Patsies don't trade up, but, maybe, this is the year! They have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds, and really, not that many holes to fill. Perhaps, they would make a move for a Julio Jones or Ingram, to push their offense over the top, or, more likely, a bad-ass 3-4 DE like Clayborn to finally replace all the production that left with Seymour.

That would give us a late first, an early and late 2nd, and an early 3rd to address 4 needs instead of 2!! At 28, we could look at Pouncey or Wisniewski to buff our interior OL with top notch/versatile talent, or, get better value on a Locker or Mallet than we would if we reached at 12. Then, with our 11 of the 2nd we could maybe land Paea or Luigit to replace Pat, or perhaps, a high ranked OT who drops. With the late 2nd we should still have a shot at a Mallet or Locker or Ponder or Kaepernick, OR, a S like Quinton Carter. Then, perhaps with the 10th pick of the 3rd, we could land some WR potential to replace Rice like an Ed Gates or Len Hankerson!

I for one would be super stoked with:

27th Wisniewski C/OG (or Pouncey, whoever ranks better-personally, I want C skills cuz I think most any C can play OG too)
    43rd Paea DT...or, maybe if we're lucky, Rahim Moore S!!?
    59th Kaepernick or whichever remaining QB they love, and
    74th Hankerson or Greg Little...a big WR who can go get jump balls in the endzone!

I am actually really starting to like how this draft is coming together! It looks like we're going to have some pretty decent options at pick 12 cuz a lot of talent moved on up during the combine! IF there's a run on QB, there may be talent available at DE and/or DT. IF there's a run on DL, there may be top end WR or OL or OLB there. Normally, the rare, physically gifted, Big-Men-Who-Can-Move, jump up the boards at the last minute. We did it with K-Will, the Jags jumped on Alualu last year, etc. BUT, this year, there are a ton of teams ahead of us who need QBs and WRs, AND, there are 2 special DBs and a LB who also belong in the top ten! Somebody who fits a need is going to drop to us, and, that may give us the trade value we need to get an eXtra pick or two!

BAAAAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

SKOL VIKINGS!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

(forgot to add...)

Then we finish off the fewer (whew!) remaining holes by signing a few of our own guys back and picking up a couple of FAs. We still need a vet QB. Perhaps, a Pat Williams/Tommy Harris rotation next to KDubb could be dangerous for 2 years...? Maybe, we keep Leber and Greenway? Maybe we let our stable of so-so but developing Safeties battle it out one more year...?

The glass of Purple Kool-Aid is still half full my friends!!!

SKOL!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast