Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: "Mock Drafts I Like/Find Interesting" Thread

McShay, Kiper, and Kiper's hair have all come to the consensus that, if the draft were to be held today, the Vikings should select North Carolina defensive end Robert Quinn with the #12 overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft. First, here's Kiper's take on the pick.

Minnesota, like Houston, is a team that could use a safety but simply can't pick one within its value range if it stays at this position in the draft. In Quinn you have a guy whose skills as a pass-rusher might rival those of Bowers were he able to suit up this year for North Carolina. A first-rate athlete with an ideal skill set to become a Pro Bowl 4-3 defensive end, he's an immediate upgrade along the Vikings' defensive line.

And now, McShay.

Quinn falls here because of the suspension that cost him the entire 2010 season, and the Vikings take advantage. Their defense is aging, and two of their defensive ends -- starter Ray Edwards and backup Brian Robison -- are free agents. The team would like to find its future franchise quarterback here, but Locker needs too much time to develop.
    Kiper And McShay's Latest Mocks In Agreement On Vikings' Selection
    Very interesting. The more I see/read on this guy, the more I like him

After going through the roster analysis, I can't help but think that the only position that the staff will draft high on offense will be a C and will opt to use all the rest of their picks, save one on a QB on defense in an effort to shore up the defensive unit it so that it can keep games close.

Because we have Griff on the roster that can step in at LDE, I wouldn't go here first, but again, this guy seems to be a top 5 pick sliding to 12. Hard to pass that up and it would allow you to let both Rob and Ray walk so that you can use your $$$$ to sign players like Chad and Rice and extend players like AD, Sauce and Shanc.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089642
    Ryan Kerrigan Purdue DE43 Reach/Value: +1

There's no question that the Vikings have multiple holes to address with the likely departures of Ben Leber, Pat Williams and Ray Edwards. Though Brian Robison has very much earned the opportunity to start at LDE, the defensive line will need to add a player or two for depth. Ryan Kerrigan is an excellent pass rusher who really came on strong in his senior season at Purdue and has skyrocketed up draft boards. As a player who's been compared to Jared Allen, it would be only too ideal to have Kerrigan backing him up in Minnesota until he's ready to take over. - Brett Stott, Vikings Analyst
    Drafttek
    From the Link dfosterf gave me in the "Top 5" thread. ABsolutely love the format they use, especially the "Reach Value" and they have Skums boy there for us at 12, Newton slipping to 15 and Mallet to 25.

Additionally they have us taking Tyron Smith OT at 43 Ricky Stanzi at 105, Jurrell Casey DT at 135, Lee Smith TE at 147, Kevin Kowalski C at
    173, D. Johnson-Koulianos WR at 203.

Again, don't know the players, but I could live with upgrades at DE, OT, QB, DT, TE, C and WR.
    That would be a sick draft, getting Kerrigan and Smith, along with Jurell Casey who should be great value at 135.. along with adressing C and QB and a project WR.. I like it..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by "gamecocksbaseball31" #1089659
    You're right on two things:

1. We did have our backups starting, which made us look pretty inept.
    2. Prince probably won't be there at 12.
    Thanks my friend. Doesn't happen much. Guess even a blind squirrel can find an acorn once in awhile if he looks hard enough. :laugh:

If Prince was there I was saying, I'm saying I wouldn't steer away from him.
    I remember numerous times Asher getting burned and Lito looking awful.
    Don't get me wrong, if he was there at 12, I would seriously look at him. Problem is, like Asher, he would have those same rookie issues to work through that we hope Asher has kindof gotten over based on reps and experience.

Again, I like to point back to Griff. Alot of people were ready to give up on him into his second year and it wasn't until his 3rd year that things started to click for him. Asher should be getting into that window now.

One thing we need to really look at though is two corners who can block on punt coverage. Almost every single time Camarillo had to fair catch because Lito got burned. He couldn't even block on a punt return. That is one area I hope we address this off season.
    Hmmmm, thats an excellent point I didn't consider. Tucking that away into my list when I start looking at draftees this year cause I think it also applies to the WR's and LB'rs we typically use in that role as well.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1089727
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089642
    Ryan Kerrigan Purdue DE43 Reach/Value: +1

There's no question that the Vikings have multiple holes to address with the likely departures of Ben Leber, Pat Williams and Ray Edwards. Though Brian Robison has very much earned the opportunity to start at LDE, the defensive line will need to add a player or two for depth. Ryan Kerrigan is an excellent pass rusher who really came on strong in his senior season at Purdue and has skyrocketed up draft boards. As a player who's been compared to Jared Allen, it would be only too ideal to have Kerrigan backing him up in Minnesota until he's ready to take over. - Brett Stott, Vikings Analyst
    Drafttek
    From the Link dfosterf gave me in the "Top 5" thread. ABsolutely love the format they use, especially the "Reach Value" and they have Skums boy there for us at 12, Newton slipping to 15 and Mallet to 25.

Additionally they have us taking Tyron Smith OT at 43 Ricky Stanzi at 105, Jurrell Casey DT at 135, Lee Smith TE at 147, Kevin Kowalski C at
    173, D. Johnson-Koulianos WR at 203.

Again, don't know the players, but I could live with upgrades at DE, OT, QB, DT, TE, C and WR.
    That would be a sick draft, getting Kerrigan and Smith, along with Jurell Casey who should be great value at 135.. along with adressing C and QB and a project WR.. I like it..
    I hear ya, especially with Smith. He seems to be the number 1 rated OT in most value boards. Not sure why this cat has him getting to us other than he has alot more defensive players taken ahead of us than most do.

Another thing that makes sense is going on the rationale that you can get a starting T in the 4th round this year, alot of teams will wait and get one in the 3rd and 4th and address other areas that aren't as deep in this years draft as T.

Round 1: 12th Pick Overall

Mike Pouncey - C/G Florida - 6'5" 320lbs

The Vikings need help at center or guard if they want to run the ball more effectively in 2011. Sullivan was awful last year and both Hutchinson and Herrera have age/injury issues. With Pouncey's addition to the OL, and maybe some free agent signings, Adrian Peterson should be able to have a great year. Also by getting AP back on track, it will take a whole lot of pressure off whomever the Vikings have at QB.
    Round 2: 43rd Pick Overall

Colin Kaepernick - Quarterback Nevada - 6'6" 225lbs

Kaepernick is an intriguing player and if the Vikings can get him here it would be a steal. He possesses a huge arm and is surprisingly mobile for a quarterback 6’6”.
    Round 4: 105th Pick Overall

Ryan Winterswyk - DE Boise State - 6'4" 263lbs

With Ray Edwards possibly leaving via free agency, the Vikings need to shore up the Defensive End position. Winterswyk is one of those guys whose motor doesn’t quit when he steps on the field. Every coach loves to have someone on his team who maybe doesn’t have the natural born physical gifts other players at his position have, but this guy doesn’t take plays off or quit.
    Round 5: 136th Pick Overall

Jason Pinkston – OT Pittsburgh 6’3” 313lbs

Pinkston was an All-Big East First Team member, and would probably be a second rounder if teams weren't concerned by a previous knee injury. He's good value at this point in the draft.
    Round 5 – From NY Giants – 147th Pick Overall

Eric Hagg – CB/FS Nebraska 6'2" 205 lbs

Hagg played cornerback in college, but is probably best suited as a free saftey. A very good cover player and has the weight to come up in run support. Returned two picks for touchdowns his senior year in Nebraska.
    Round 6: 176th Pick Overall

DeAndre Brown – WR Southern Mississippi – 6'6" 228lbs

The Vikings need to get some depth at receiver in order to shore things up in case Sidney Rice leaves as a free agent.... Good depth choice, especially with the recent signing of Emmanuel Arceneaux from the CFL's BC Lions. If he could add 30-40lbs without sacrificing too much speed, he could be converted to a Tight End......
    Round 7: 220th Pick Overall

Eric McBride – OLB Richmond 6'2" 231lbs.

This selection is to address the depth chart at linebacker. With Ben Leber turning 32, the Vikings will probably target one of the many free agent OLB's this off season, along with signing Chad Greenway to a huge contract extension. Leber can still start at weakside linebacker, but his best days are behind him.
    Minnesota Vikings 2011 NFL Draft: Who Will Be the Next Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan?

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

IF Prince or PP fall to 12, they should be considered, but its not very durn likely, and I'm with Marr on CB not being our biggest need. Thing is, 10th vs. the pass is the best our Vikings secondary has pulled off in about 10 years, possibly more. And that was with our 2 of our top three on IR by midseason!! Then, Asher got hurt too! IF Cook and Griff can get healthy and Asher continues to improve, we may be set there even after Winny retires...?

Last season we were so stoked on our depth there that we traded away Sapp. Breaking down the Dstats a bit more:

20th in Sacks
    21st in passing TDs allowed
    17th in INTs
    21st Completion% allowed
    21st in avg QB rating
    yet,
    9th yards/comp

Obviously, we can still use some work on pass D. Part of it, I think, is scheme...with our Ss both covering the back 2 zones, it limits the routes they can jump, big plays they can go for. But it seems obvious to me that more sacks could help the other stats tremendously by leading to more INTs, less TDs, lower QB rating etc.

Thing is, we could likely use upgrades to both DE and DT depth. Pat and Kevin have both lost a step, Edwards is most likely gone, and while I think Robison will sign a reasonable contract to stay, I'm not sure we can count on him to get close to double digit sacks yearly and he may struggle vs. the run from time to time based on his size. He's more of a RDE than a Left. Quinn would seem to have the perfect combo of size and athletisism to be a run stuffing, pass rushing LDE, so, I guess I can see that being a position we went to early, but, once again, not our biggest need either.

To me that still falls on OL and QB. So, I really like that latest mock posted: Pouncey, Kaepernick, followed by DE, OT and some ST depth. But, I think, we could step back about 10 spots, still get Pouncey, and an extra 2nd to boost quality on one of those other needs!

Kaepernick is one of my favorite possibilities ATM...I guess I'm not sold on any of the big 3 QBs and I still think 2 or 3 will be gone by 12. We're looking 2nd tier, and I think that can be had with a 2nd round pick. Kaep is extremely fast for his 6-6 size, and has shown year after year to throw more TDs than Picks!! And then, you can add in his 4 year average of 14.75 rushing TDs/year! And, perhaps, best yet:

By all accounts a great person, a leader on the field, and a good teammate off of it
    http://www.sidelinescouting.com/rankings/qb/colin-kaepernick.shtml
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

With all of the holes we have to fill on the roster the best choice will be the guy they have as the BPA when we get on the board. The draft is a fluid thing and in the past we have had guys like Moss, Carter, Peterson,Harvin and culpepper on the boards when we chose even though they all were talented enough to be drafted higher.

In this draft there is bound to be a top 7-10 talent that slips by for some reason or another and more than likely he will have the talent to improve us over what we have at that position. The future is wide open for us at this point.

I also would not mind seeing the front office look at trading a few of the guys we have under contract if we can get picks for them and free up cap space.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Unless a dream QB falls in our laps, I'm not sure the right QB option will be there at 12. For my money, we stick with BPA in that case.

Caine

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I'm really hoping its Mallett

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I'm not so sure on Mallet anymore...no mobility, and questionable character concerns keep popping up. Sure, he's got a hell of an arm, but his accuracy seems to be lacking too.

The biggest thing holding Mallett back at this point is still his decision making. He has some Brett Favre in him, thinking his arm strength will always prevail. He forces throws into coverage. It results in some amazing throws, but also results in game changing mistakes. At the pro level, the mistakes will out number the big plays because tight spaces are even tighter.
    hmy:
    Now sources inside the Arkansas program are shedding some light on the rumors that Mallett has substance abuse problems.

NFL Draft Monsters has a policy of not publishing a story without two independent confirmations. We were approached this week, by a source inside the Arkansas program who told us the he has personally witnessed Mallett use both marijuana, and cocaine
    More bad news here:

http://draftcountdown.com/draft-blog/2010/09/why-ryan-mallett-is-overrated/

Hard to say how much truth there is to his "leadership/character concerns," but usually, where's there smoke, there's fire.

The top two QBs seem to be pretty established as Gabbert and Newton. The race to be the third guy picked looks to be a good one.
    Mallett has lack of mobility and alleged character issues holding him back.
    Ponder supposedly doesn't have the deep ball.
    Locker looked like a loser last year.
    Kaepernick comes from a smaller division and a "gimmick offense."

I think that really, more than any other position, the pre-draft interviews are so important to picking a QB. By default, the guy has to be a leader of the team and a face of the franchise. Unfortunately, we draft-nerds don't get in on any of that, so, if/when we go QB, I hope, they really, really love the guy's attitude and work ethic as much or more than his physical attributes and stat lines!!

Personally, ATM, I'm hoping for Kaepernick in the 2nd...it leaves us our first to trade back/upgrade depth on one or both of our lines, and he's pretty much got Mallett's size with Locker's speed and a better reputation and more years of playing experience.

Here's a random thought I had on the whole SEC experience vs. smaller divisions...

Yes, you play vs. lesser competition, but wouldn't it usually mean you are playing with lesser talent around you as well!?!??
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast