Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: "Mock Drafts I Like/Find Interesting" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089630
    You could probably pick up Justin Harrell for free.

Don't laugh, free is a good number.

Remember, he isn't a "bust" due to his play on the field, he's a bust due to the injuries, and the BIG problem (back) looks "cured". He left this time because of his knee. He was most definitely in our (3-4) rotation as a DE, and he could be a DT in your 4-3.

Stop laughing, he'd be free! He cost us 8 million! and a 16th !
    One of select few TT has goofed on. I was almost convinced Hawk was the other, however, I think he is finally getting his role as the QB of the defense.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089598
    This is a little off-topic, actually a lot off topic, but is meant for those that are interested in the draft speculation, etc.

There is a guy that has "reverse engineered" the compensatory draft pick system, and has been doing it for years. He usually comes out with his "picks" at least a month before they are announced, and is uncannily good at it, imo-

This is one of those things you kind of put away for "future reference"

Here is the link to his blog.

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/comparing-2010-projection-to-actual.html
    No no, not off topic. Jives with the intent of the thread my friend.

Let me ask you a question. Does the picks mean they will swap or does it mean these teams will get extra picks or both?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dfosterf is offline Coach

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089633
    Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089598
    This is a little off-topic, actually a lot off topic, but is meant for those that are interested in the draft speculation, etc.

There is a guy that has "reverse engineered" the compensatory draft pick system, and has been doing it for years. He usually comes out with his "picks" at least a month before they are announced, and is uncannily good at it, imo-

This is one of those things you kind of put away for "future reference"

Here is the link to his blog.

http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2010/03/comparing-2010-projection-to-actual.html
    No no, not off topic. Jives with the intent of the thread my friend.

Let me ask you a question. Does the picks mean they will swap or does it mean these teams will get extra picks or both?
    I think you are asking me the nature of a compensatory pick...

You ARE a Viking fan, lol - compared to a Puker fan--lol You GET free agents, we LOSE 'em--

You get an extra pick, as early as the 3rd round.

This year is an excellent example for why I am tracking his "blog"

The Pack lost Aaron Kampman in free agency last year. (4-3 DE played a 3-4 OLB for us preceding year, premier 4-3 DE, suck ass 3-4 OLB, got top 4-3 DE $$$ in his new contract elsewhere)

As an aside (when discussing draft) note the HUGE $$$ vet 4-3 DE's get, just sayin' ...

Based on the new contract, he's a no-brainer 3rd round compensatory pick to the Packers this year. That is an extra 3rd round pick.

The problem? He got injured in the 8th game, and that is factored into what round pick the Pack gets in "compensation". The pick is purely extra, and comes from the league, not the acquiring team. ??I think I answered your question??

Ryan Kerrigan Purdue DE43 Reach/Value: +1

There's no question that the Vikings have multiple holes to address with the likely departures of Ben Leber, Pat Williams and Ray Edwards. Though Brian Robison has very much earned the opportunity to start at LDE, the defensive line will need to add a player or two for depth. Ryan Kerrigan is an excellent pass rusher who really came on strong in his senior season at Purdue and has skyrocketed up draft boards. As a player who's been compared to Jared Allen, it would be only too ideal to have Kerrigan backing him up in Minnesota until he's ready to take over. - Brett Stott, Vikings Analyst
    Drafttek
    From the Link dfosterf gave me in the "Top 5" thread. ABsolutely love the format they use, especially the "Reach Value" and they have Skums boy there for us at 12, Newton slipping to 15 and Mallet to 25.

Additionally they have us taking Tyron Smith OT at 43 Ricky Stanzi at 105, Jurrell Casey DT at 135, Lee Smith TE at 147, Kevin Kowalski C at
    173, D. Johnson-Koulianos WR at 203.

Again, don't know the players, but I could live with upgrades at DE, OT, QB, DT, TE, C and WR.

Tyron Smith
    Pass blocking: Gets a good base in pass protection. Has long arms but has an inconsistent extension. Has a very good kick slide to the right. Smith doesn't get too wide but he maintains his area because he has quick feet. As Smith gets stronger, he'll more easily handle power rushers. Against speed rushers, Smith does really well when he can continue riding them to the outside.

Quickness: Very good quickness off the snap. Plays out of a two-point stance. That combined with his quickness helps Smith get in position faster than defenders. Uses his foot speed to mirror defenders.

Run blocking: As a junior, has played in a zone blocking scheme at USC. Because of that, he's not had to drive block much. But judging by his frame, Smith should get stronger in his lower body to anchor. Even though he comes out of his stance high, Smith typically keeps his pads low. Doesn't have the best initial hand punch. Can be inconsistent where he drives into a defender.

Strength: This is where Smith needs to get better. He's bulked up 20 pounds since entering college but needs to continue adding strength throughout his frame. When he's asked to drive block in the run game, he'll struggle moving defensive linemen around. Still, Smith gives very good effort and it takes a lot for a defender to beat him purely with a bull rush.

Technique: The biggest technical flaw on Smith is his hand placement. Smith's hand speed is fine but he doesn't always get proper placement. Where he needs to improve is extending his arms. Too often Smith lets defenders get into his frame and push him around. Footwork is technically correct and rarely makes a misstep.

Final word: Smith is starting to gain a lot of attention as an offensive tackle prospect. He's an easy player to fall in love with. He has a long, lean frame and is athletic. Smith gets out on the move as well as any offensive tackle you'll see and is loaded with potential.
    T Smith
    Stanzi
    Strengths:
    • Possesses ideal height and bulk with a large frame
    • Above average athleticism with pretty good mobility
    • Arm is strong enough to make all the necessary throws
    • Outstanding throwing mechanics and a great delivery
    • Able to buy time in pocket and make plays with feet
    • Can work under center and go through progressions
    • Tough and will stand tall in the pocket under duress
    • Intelligent student of the game with good football IQ
    • Mature and hard working w/ terrific leadership skills
    • A lot of experience against top-notch competition

Weaknesses:
    • Will force throws and make poor decisions at times
    • Does not handle pressure very well and will panic
    • Inconsistent in areas of touch, timing and accuracy
    • Struggles the further down the field he has to go
    • Often failed to come through in clutch situations
    • Some minor durability and off-the-field concerns
    Stanzi

Jurrell Casey DT
    The Skinny: The soon-to-be junior has a chance to be a truly dominant force at defensive tackle for the 2010 USC Trojans. At 6’1” and 295 pounds, Casey might be considered a bit small for a defensive tackle and he doesn’t look body beautiful. However, underestimating him would be a serious mistake. His natural knee-bending ability and light feet allow him to play much bigger than his size. When asked to shoot gaps the All-Pac-10 performer flies between offensive linemen to the quarterback. Casey will have a chance to attack the passer more under new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin, something which will surely gain the attention of NFL decision makers. The defensive tackle shows a versatile and sophisticated pass-rush repertoire, possessing standout bull rush, rip and swim moves. While his size is still NFL caliber, some will downgrade him in the evaluation process because he falls short of elite size for a defensive tackle. While his sophomore year was impressive, expectations are high for Casey as many believe his skill set is a perfect fit for new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin’s cover-2 scheme.
    dRAFTBIBLE

Kevin Kowalski C
    Strengths
    Versatile, intelligent leader who started 47 consecutive games. Excellent work ethic on and off the field. Decent height, but below-average mass for position. Appears to make good pre-snap reads and line calls. Keeps head up in stance and makes sound adjustments when zone blocking and defense blitzes/stunts; gets into position to pick up blitzes.
    Weaknesses
    A step slow in Senior Bowl against elite defensive linemen; athleticism is an issue -doesn't show above-average lower-body strength and tends to lean into power rushers in effort to mask this weakness - appears top-heavy. May be more effective at guard.
    Projection
    7th round - may slip to UDFA after below-average performance at Senior Bowl.
    CDS Sports

I think the guy they had drafting for the Vikes on the mock above, didn't know we were gonna go away from the ZB scheme.

But in this week's mock draft, the SB Nation folks have the Vikings going offense with both of their selections. With the first selection, we're back to where I believe they had us at in the first place, selecting Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert.
    In the second round, the Vikings turn to the offensive line, taking guard Danny Watkins out of Baylor.
    Latest SB Nation 2011 NFL Mock Draft Expands To Two Rounds; Vikings Focus On Offense
    No, I didn't put this in here because my good friend Mulletmalitia complained I didn't have any mocks that had us taking QBs. This one is in here cause it has us getting the top ranked QB.

......zing.......:laugh:

Learn to love the draft.

And don't take it personal when the player I "mock" to your favorite team isn't the player you want your team to pick.
    Draft 2011: NFL Mock 1.0
    I loved that first quote.......

By the way, another one that has us taking Quinn.

12. Minnesota Vikings - North Carolina DE Robert Quinn

The NFL Combine will be crucial for Quinn after he missed the entire 2010 season for accepting over $5,000 in gifts from an agent. Certain to rise if he impresses in Indy, Quinn is a physical freak at 6'5/270 who finished second to only Derrick Morgan in 2009 ACC Defensive Player of the Year voting. Quinn reeled off 19 tackles, 11 sacks, and an eye-popping six forced fumbles as a sophomore. Vikings Nos. 2 and 3 ends Ray Edwards and Brian Robison are free agents.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089631
    Quote Originally Posted by "gamecocksbaseball31" #1089628
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089501
    12. Minnesota Vikings - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska Cornhuskers: 3 The Vikings drafted a cornerback in the 2nd round last year by the name of Chris Cook. Cook could be a starter this year and have a long, successful career. They could get Amukamara to learn behind the talented, but aging Antoine Winfield on the other side and slowly groom him to replace Winfield. Minnesota could also look for their quarterback of the future here as well.

Previous Pick: Nick Solder, OT, Colorado
    Other possibilities: Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada; Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
    NFL Mock Draft 2.0
    Mystifies me why anyone would think we would go ahead and draft a CB. Our issues on defense aren't CB related, they are DL along with injuries at our CB position related..
    Our CB's didn't play very well last year. I know Ced was hurt, but Asher Allen, Lito, Walker, etc. should never see the field on a good team. Prince would bolster this lineup and allow Winfield to play the nickel more like Woodson does with GB. If he is there, I won't be surprised if we go after him.
    I have started to look at the CB's. I don't think Prince will be there at 12 my friend especially if Peterson goes in the top 5 as most think he will.

As to the CB play. I think you really need to look hard at a couple of things when you say our CBs didn't play well.

a. Who was out there. In most games, we had our backups starting.
    b. What did teams do with them out there? In most instances teams didn't throw the ball but elected to run against us when clearly the talking heads said they shouldn't be doing it.
    c. Were we ranked with respect to pass defense this year.

Completions against - 13th
    Yards against - 9th (6.7 Yards)

You would think that both of those catagories would be alot higher considering the scheme is to let them catch it then tackle if the CB's played so bad.

Are we a shutdown team with our CB's? No. Do we see alot of INT's? No, but considering the scheme these kids are asked to play and how well they shut down all the big name receivers the faced, with very little pressure from the front 4, I wouldn't say they played bad this year.
    You're right on two things:

1. We did have our backups starting, which made us look pretty inept.
    2. Prince probably won't be there at 12.

If Prince was there I was saying, I'm saying I wouldn't steer away from him.
    I remember numerous times Asher getting burned and Lito looking awful.

One thing we need to really look at though is two corners who can block on punt coverage. Almost every single time Camarillo had to fair catch because Lito got burned. He couldn't even block on a punt return. That is one area I hope we address this off season.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

12. Minnesota Vikings - Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska Cornhuskers: 3 The Vikings drafted a cornerback in the 2nd round last year by the name of Chris Cook. Cook could be a starter this year and have a long, successful career. They could get Amukamara to learn behind the talented, but aging Antoine Winfield on the other side and slowly groom him to replace Winfield. Minnesota could also look for their quarterback of the future here as well.

NFL Mock Draft 2.0
    Mystifies me why anyone would think we would go ahead and draft a CB. Our issues on defense aren't CB related, they are DL along with injuries at our CB position related..
    Our CB's didn't play very well last year. I know Ced was hurt, but Asher Allen, Lito, Walker, etc. should never see the field on a good team. Prince would bolster this lineup and allow Winfield to play the nickel more like Woodson does with GB. If he is there, I won't be surprised if we go after him.
    I have started to look at the CB's. I don't think Prince will be there at 12 my friend especially if Peterson goes in the top 5 as most think he will.

As to the CB play. I think you really need to look hard at a couple of things when you say our CBs didn't play well.

b. What did teams do with them out there? In most instances teams didn't throw the ball but elected to run against us when clearly the talking heads said they shouldn't be doing it.

You would think that both of those catagories would be alot higher considering the scheme is to let them catch it then tackle if the CB's played so bad.

Are we a shutdown team with our CB's? No. Do we see alot of INT's? No, but considering the scheme these kids are asked to play and how well they shut down all the big name receivers the faced, with very little pressure from the front 4, I wouldn't say they played bad this year.
    The defense kept alot of games close this year, but we shot ourself in the foot by commiting to many turnovers on offense.. Plus our in-ability to get pressure from our front 4 left your DB's in bad situations in many games..

So +1 Marrdro

However the real concern is with Cedric Griffin injury concerns and Winfield age we could be in the market for a CB.

Prince is a good cornerback, but he has not playing zone defense and would have to pick that up, however his skill set should allow him to do that - But he would be better of in a press/man coverage defense.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1089661

NFL Mock Draft 2.0

The defense kept alot of games close this year, but we shot ourself in the foot by commiting to many turnovers on offense.. Plus our in-ability to get pressure from our front 4 left your DB's in bad situations in many games..

So +1 Marrdro

However the real concern is with Cedric Griffin injury concerns and Winfield age we could be in the market for a CB.

Prince is a good cornerback, but he has not playing zone defense and would have to pick that up, however his skill set should allow him to do that - But he would be better of in a press/man coverage defense.
    I'm tracking with the whole Griff health issue. Ever the optimist I am making all my draft discussion points based on the assumption that both will be back this year.

Lets see who the off season goes. I might shift a bit, however I still think we have alot of depth and don't necessarily need to go high for a CB again this year. At some point you have to say I surrender and go with what you have/let them develop.

Right now, CB is one of those positions. S, IMHO is another one of those positions.

Husain stepped up/came from no were. Sanford and Johnson could do the same next year.

Again, wasn't that long ago everyone on here wanted Griff gone. It wasn't because he wasn't talented, it was because he looked bad being out there before he was ready. Eventually the light came on and he started to come around, before he got hurt.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast