Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: "Mock Drafts I Like/Find Interesting" Thread

1. Panthers
    Pick Breakdown... Cam Newton
    from Auburn

ALL ABOARD!!!! The hype train is in town and Cam Newton is the conductor. By the time the draft rolls around, he'll have cemented the number 1 overall pick for sure. He did well in his media day and had guys from ESPN drooling all over themselves. I figure that if Matt Stafford, Sam Bradford and even Mark Sanchez (a lower pick than #1 but still super high) can go high, why not take a monster QB at 6'6" with a cannon for an arm, with Vick-like moves, and has proved himself as a winner on all other levels? Even Tim Tebow went high with a ton of people complaining about everything about his mechanics. I see Cam Newton going number 1 and that won't change. You'll see. If the Panthers don't want him, they'll be able to trade down.

Draft Debacle

4th one I've seen with Newton going first. Just don't see it. None of these QB's are gonna be ready to go this year. Can't see anyone burning the number one pick on any of them.

By the way......For the Vikes...
    Muhammad Wilkerson
    DT from Temple

Muhammed Wilkerson is flying up draft boards and will be cemented in at the 3rd best DT by the time the draft is taking place. The Vikings are losing some key pieces on the D line and it's time to start with a youth movement. Wilkerson is a big guy that plays with a tude that's rude. He'll be a great pick up for the Vikes.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

dfosterf is offline Coach

Marr, on paper it certainly looks like you would go DL in that 1st pick.

They don't develop fast.

Sorry, it takes time, but you need 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1089511
    Marr, on paper it certainly looks like you would go DL in that 1st pick.

They don't develop fast.

Sorry, it takes time, but you need 'em.
    I hear ya my friend. I've been on the DT bandwagon for the last 2 years. Now, I fear, its gonna be to little to late.

Still, as you say, it appears we will have a nice DT or a LB sitting there at 12 if Leslie does want to go defense first.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Funny that in all your posted picks, you don't have a single QB to the Vikings. With your extreme hatred for Brett Favre, I thought you would definitely be hoping for an alternative there. Is that you Chilly? WE NEED A QB! Period. We can't afford to sit back and continue to go after mediocre veterans. It's time to develop a QB. If not, get ready for the LA Vikings. I don't understand the DT and LB love. Kevin Williams is the best DT in football, and 2 out of our 3 LBs are Pro-Bowl caliber (without Mike Singletary). QB is not the position that you need to be reaching for in the 2nd and 3rd (or 6th) round.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Marr,
    I completely disagree. I don't believe that DT is an issue for us at all. Yes we don't have a run stuffing DT like PHAT Pat on our roster but the tandem of Kenndey, Evans and Guion was good enough to rank us 8th overall in D. I like to point out that out offense was abysmal last season so our true defensive rank is even lower. DT is the on position that is not an issue for us. I don't understand why you are unwilling to ahve the Vikes give a kid like Guion a shot to prove what they saw in him. You seem to only like drafting and then discarding.

Look at our real issues.
    WR QB TE OL (Depth), Saftey
    @ WR we have no drpth. Percy has been proven to be MIA for a few games a season and Rice may never be the same. These are starters.

QB - We have two on roster ( a converted WR and some other guy)

TE - If Shank goes down god help us.
    OL - See Shank but replace his name with any of the starters. Have I mentioned that your boy Sully is not the answer and I will like to point out that running lanes seem to be lacking since Birk left.

Saftey, Just bad. Really, really bad. Terrible angles, no plays on the ball, few if any passes broken up.

How exactly is our poor DB play the lines fault. We don't make plays on the ball when pressure is there. We simply suck in the secondary.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Find a mock where Pat Peterson falls to us, and I would like it. He looks good in purple in gold, and we already have a decent track record with guys named Peterson. Oh and he's probably the most touted CB to come out since Revis.

Also wouldn't mind if we grabbed Pouncey at 12 if hes 90% the nfl player his brother is. If not the draft seems deep at DL and LB where we will likely need help next year, how much help depends on who stays. If Pat goes we have an extremely large hole to fill.

Kaepernick in the 2nd (let alone 4th) would have me excited. If we have the two most physically gifted young QBs in the league (Webb and Kaepernick) one of them will able to do something... eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1089529
    Funny that in all your posted picks, you don't have a single QB to the Vikings.
    You do realize I'm not making the picks, I'm only posting ones that are of interest.

Because these don't have us taking a QB, which most casual fans think we will, I find them interesting. The ones that have us taking Mallet aren't that interesting, mostly cause there are alot of them out there.

Additionally, I don't really like any of the QB's coming out this year, at 12. I do like a few that are rated/projected in the later rounds.

With your extreme hatred for Brett Favre, I thought you would definitely be hoping for an alternative there. Is that you Chilly? WE NEED A QB! Period. We can't afford to sit back and continue to go after mediocre veterans. It's time to develop a QB. If not, get ready for the LA Vikings.
    First, I don't hate football players. That nasty emotion is reserved for something that really warrants it. Again, a football player doesn't quite fit that catagory. I think the word that most fits my dislike of the Noodle is disdain.

Second, I think I am more than "Hoping" for a viable alternative/solution at QB. Problem is, as I said above, I don't think this draft class has anyone worth taking at 12 once Gabbert is gone. Just because I am not all in for taking for at 12 doesn't mean I am against taking one and developing one. Hell, I think you will see, if you go back and revisit my posts this time of year, I am almost always for drafting a QB each and every year.

So, to address your "WE NEED A QB PERIOD" comment, I agree. Maybe you should read what I'm saying a bit more carefully and you will realize that.

I don't understand the DT and LB love. Kevin Williams is the best DT in football, and 2 out of our 3 LBs are Pro-Bowl caliber (without Mike Singletary). QB is not the position that you need to be reaching for in the 2nd and 3rd (or 6th) round.
    Lets talk draft process a bit.

As the teams above us take players, that position starts to be depleted. When you start to get to the 15 (we pick at 12) draft slot, in almost every case the top 2 or 3 from the positions we might be looking at as a "Need" are out of players worth taking at that slot.

So, when you see someone like me and dfosterf talking about a DT or a LB, it is usually because all the good guys are gone from a position you probably want the Vikes to take (i.e. QB).

Again, that doesn't mean that I/we don't think that QB is the biggest area of need, it just means, for the way that draft fell, a DT or LB or hell, even a CB might be the best player available there that fits our need.

Long story short, I hear ya, but maybe you need to back the fricken truck up just a bit and try to stay with the discussion instead of trying to hack on my silly ass for talking a position you don't think is important.

A better tact, IMHO, would be to try to convince me that I am off the mark on the QB's and tell mey why one of them is worthy of a selection there.

As to KDubb. Again, you need to understand what I'm talking about when I say a 0/3 technigue DT/NT. That isn't the position K-dubb plays at. That position is currently filled by Phat Pat.

Again, most casual fans will then try to say we have JK or Fred backing him up, but again, that is wrong. Both of those yutzs are a 5/7 technique DT and quit frankly, being outplayed by Guion, who by the way, is K-dubbs backup.

Again, pay close attention to what position I am talking about. If I'm not mistaken, we still need two DT's on the field in a 4-3 def.

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1089533
    Marr,
    I completely disagree. I don't believe that DT is an issue for us at all. Yes we don't have a run stuffing DT like PHAT Pat on our roster but the tandem of Kenndey, Evans and Guion was good enough to rank us 8th overall in D. I like to point out that out offense was abysmal last season so our true defensive rank is even lower. DT is the on position that is not an issue for us. I don't understand why you are unwilling to ahve the Vikes give a kid like Guion a shot to prove what they saw in him. You seem to only like drafting and then discarding.
    You do realize that when Phat Pat wasn't on the field we moved K-dubb over to the 0 tech right. When you did that, you basically took your DT playmaker out of the mix.

In short, JK, Evans and Guion were not good enough or they wouldn't have had to rotate K-dubb over there.

I'm suprised that you, of all posters on here, missed that this year.

In short, 0 tech guys that can play that role in a 4-3 are real hard to find and are usually gone early on. If your sitting there at 12 and all the good QB's are gone, you have a deep draft at OT and WR, why not grab that DT?

Look at our real issues.
    WR QB TE OL (Depth), Saftey
    @ WR we have no drpth. Percy has been proven to be MIA for a few games a season and Rice may never be the same. These are starters.

QB - We have two on roster ( a converted WR and some other guy)

TE - If Shank goes down god help us.
    OL - See Shank but replace his name with any of the starters. Have I mentioned that your boy Sully is not the answer and I will like to point out that running lanes seem to be lacking since Birk left.

Saftey, Just bad. Really, really bad. Terrible angles, no plays on the ball, few if any passes broken up.

How exactly is our poor DB play the lines fault. We don't make plays on the ball when pressure is there. We simply suck in the secondary.
    I hear ya and agree with your concerns at all area, however, as I said above, its has to do with who is available and how deep the draft is in each class.

WR. This class has starting caliber/impact players into the 4th round this year. Why take one with 12 if you can get one in a lower round? You still get your WR and he won't cost you and arm and a leg when you are resigning after his rookie contract.

TE. I don't think you base your number 12 draft pick based on a "He might get injured" concept. Second, most of the TE's in this class are either hybrid route runners with very few having any sort of "Inline" skills. The ones that do would be one hell of a reach at 12 IMHO. Again, why use a pick there on a TE?

OL. I guess you missed my opinion on Pouncey. As I said to Mullett......Maybe you need to pay a bit more attention to what I'm typing/saying my friend. :P

S. I wouldn't be apposed to taking a S. My only problem in that area is I haven't looked at any of them yet. Hell, I haven't really looked at many positions yet. If one drops there then I wouldn't slash my throat if one were taken.

On a side note, our S play might not look so bad if the bigs up front were doing their job first.

Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1089537
    Find a mock where Pat Peterson falls to us, and I would like it. He looks good in purple in gold, and we already have a decent track record with guys named Peterson. Oh and he's probably the most touted CB to come out since Revis.
    A guy was singing his praises last night. Problem is, according to that cat, he will be long gone by 12.

Also wouldn't mind if we grabbed Pouncey at 12 if hes 90% the nfl player his brother is. If not the draft seems deep at DL and LB where we will likely need help next year, how much help depends on who stays. If Pat goes we have an extremely large hole to fill.
    I agree on Pouncey. Again, I was defending taking him in one of my earlier posts.

As to the draft being deep at DL. Yes, you are correct, but not when it comes to 4-3 0 tech NT's. From what I can see/read, there are 2 in this draft with both, in most mocks, going before you get to 12. If one slips to us, I think you need to look hard especially considering whats gonna be there/not there when we pick.

Kaepernick in the 2nd (let alone 4th) would have me excited. If we have the two most physically gifted young QBs in the league (Webb and Kaepernick) one of them will able to do something... eventually.
    I need to do some more research on Kaepernick. The guy I was talking to believes he will work his way into the middle of the first round by the end of the combine.

Again, I am not that familiar with him, but worry that even Mallet is a reach there. Would Kaep be a reach as well?

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

The thing about NTs is you can find one mid to late round.. Alot of great NTs have gone later and I don't think addressing it at 12 would help us at all

I feel the Williams are good for one more year.. Mix in Letroy and Jimmy and it's just fine for the year.. Draft a young NT 3rd-6th and groom him..

When Pat walks we have Kevin Letroy Jimmy and the young kid to rotate

It's not all that hard to find a solid NT to tie up 2 blockers.. It's much harder to find other positions

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast