Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: "Mock Drafts I Like/Find Interesting" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091503
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091484
    Defense rules early in a look at the first two rounds

Kirwans picks for us:

12TYRON SMITHOTUSC
    Smith jumped to the head of the class for some teams when he weighed in at more than 300 pounds and had 29 reps on the bench press to go along with his game tapes. The Vikings need a quarterback in the worst way, but I don't think they reach for one here. It's too bad there are issues surrounding Ryan Mallett because his arm and Adrian Peterson behind him would be an interesting backfield. In my first mock it was OT Nate Solder here, and he has to garner some consideration.
    43. Minnesota Vikings, Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
    Not sure T is that big of a need and I am 100% sure that Smith isn't the BPA based on his mock.
    As much as I really want to step up the talent on the OL and have for the past half decade I absolutely agree with you that taking a guy like that at 12 would be a mistake. The draft in the mid rounds is going to be damn deep with OL talent and we can really stock up on guys there plus there will be vets released to make room for rookies that we can also bring in.
    I don't think any of these tackles are considered blue chip left tackles. As much as McKinnie gets beat, the interior of our line is a bigger problem.

I wouldn't be disappointed if they traded back in the first to take a guy like Pouncey and get another pick.

I sense they will reach for a QB at 12 or pick a defensive player,although the wide receiver with the broken foot, Jones could get plucked here if he is still on the board.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1091792
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091503
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091484
    Defense rules early in a look at the first two rounds

Kirwans picks for us:

12TYRON SMITHOTUSC
    Smith jumped to the head of the class for some teams when he weighed in at more than 300 pounds and had 29 reps on the bench press to go along with his game tapes. The Vikings need a quarterback in the worst way, but I don't think they reach for one here. It's too bad there are issues surrounding Ryan Mallett because his arm and Adrian Peterson behind him would be an interesting backfield. In my first mock it was OT Nate Solder here, and he has to garner some consideration.
    43. Minnesota Vikings, Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
    Not sure T is that big of a need and I am 100% sure that Smith isn't the BPA based on his mock.
    As much as I really want to step up the talent on the OL and have for the past half decade I absolutely agree with you that taking a guy like that at 12 would be a mistake. The draft in the mid rounds is going to be damn deep with OL talent and we can really stock up on guys there plus there will be vets released to make room for rookies that we can also bring in.
    I don't think any of these tackles are considered blue chip left tackles. As much as McKinnie gets beat, the interior of our line is a bigger problem.

I wouldn't be disappointed if they traded back in the first to take a guy like Pouncey and get another pick.

I sense they will reach for a QB at 12 or pick a defensive player,although the wide receiver with the broken foot, Jones could get plucked here if he is still on the board.
    I'm all for Pouncey but I don't think we will get the opportunity to trade back for him.

There really isn't gonna be a player sitting there at 12 that teams are going to say, Hey, I gotta go up and get that guy before team X does.

Besides, as time goes on, most boards have Wisniewski, Fusco and Kirkpatrick ahead of Pouncey as a C anyways. Problem is, like Pouncey, all 3 are projected as ZBing scheme guys.

If we are moving away from the ZBing scheme, Pouncey, or any of the top Centers that could be had at 12 don't fix our problem.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Apologies for the delay on this one. . .but I have a really good reason, and I'll explain later.

The third pick of the 2011 Daily Norseman Community Mock Draft is in the books, and it did provide us the largest margin between a first and second-place finisher that we've gotten yet. By garnering 188 of the 598 votes cast in the poll, I am happy to announce that. . .
    2011 Daily Norseman Community Mock Draft - Cincinnati Bengals

In case your wondering, I picked AJ Green for the Bengals and the other picks so are are:

Picks Thus Far

Carolina Panthers - Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
    Denver Broncos - Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
    Buffalo Bills - Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
    Again, I will try to post the updates for all of you who can't wait. :laugh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

From what i am hearing from credible sources... The Broncos are going DL

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I don't care much for http://bleacherreport.com/articles/637683-2011-nfl-mock-draft-minnesota-vikings-7-round-mock-draft

Locker seems to be a reach at 12, many of his other picks are unlikely to be available at our slots, and the WR he has us "stealing" in the 5th is another slot type guy, which I see Harvin (and Camarillo) as. What we need is a big guy with a good vert to go snag jump balls in the redzone AND the speed to go deep...specially IF we lose Rice!!!!!

I would be super stoked with how the Drafttek consensus mock is listed ATM:

1. Julio Jones A superfreak of an athlete who can threaten the deep zone enough to open things up for AP in the running game.
    2. Mike Pouncey Him falling all the way to our 2nd seems unlikely, but other Cs have moved up and the DLmen are dominating the first round in most mocks. A versatile guy who can challenge Herrera and Sullivan for playing time and/or backup both. We cannot let whoever our QB is get destroyed by our line again!

4. Lance Kendricks Athletic TE with good recieving skills. Hmm, all this talk of the Vikings being really interested in TEs makes me wonder if they're looking for a bookend threat for Shank...or his replacement!?

Its interesting that they have Stanzi going two picks later to SF. One would think that we'll draft a QB before the 5th...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Did you guys see this? Another record setting bench press by a DT!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/19/pro-day-prospect-bests-combine-bench-press-record/

Perhaps a later round DT for us...?

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1092047

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/19/pro-day-prospect-bests-combine-bench-press-record/

There is just so much more than being strong in playing DT..

In our system we need guys who can rush the passer within the front 4.. the stronger guys are usually gap fillers and run stoppers.. Im looking more at technique and explosiveness when thinking defensive line..

Btw, i googled Blaine Summer instead of Sumner - and that was a big mistake.. NSFW..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1092050
    Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1092047

There is just so much more than being strong in playing DT..

In our system we need guys who can rush the passer within the front 4.. the stronger guys are usually gap fillers and run stoppers.. Im looking more at technique and explosiveness when thinking defensive line..

Btw, i googled Blaine Summer instead of Sumner - and that was a big mistake.. NSFW..
    I don't find much fault with any of your posts my friend, however, in this little instance I tend to disagree, to a point.

I want our DT's to do the following (from the 0 technique) and in this order....(The 3 technique I have other priorities for)

a. Be big and strong enough that you command 2 blockers.
    b. Be big and stron enough that you can beat those two blockers. Maybe not right away, but within a reasonable amount of time.
    c. Be able to make the tackle when you beat those blockers (both in the run and when the QB scrambles/moves around in the pocket).
    d. Be fast enough to rush the QB.

Jammie Dukes calls a guy like that a "War Pig". Right now, in this draft there are 2 of them that can come right in and start.......

Dareus and Paea. No way Dareus gets to us and I think 12 is to early for Paea. Question is, will Paea be there in the second.

From our good friends at CDS Paea

Strengths
    Freakishly strong. Could be one of the strongest players in the nation. NFL Combine record 49 repititions in the bench press. His size give him a natural leverage advantage. Possesses a violent punch that shocks offensive linemen off the snap. Has the strength to lock linemen out, find the ball, and make a play on the ball carrier. Has enough quickness to penetrate into the backfield and disrupt. Plays with a non-stop motor. Always working toward the ball and after the quarterback as a pass rusher. Because of his strength, he's constantly is double-teamed, allowing linebackers to be freed up to make plays on the ball carrier. Shows promise as a pass rusher. When he uses his hands, he has a nice rip and arm over moves. Gives great effort on every play, which leads him to getting sacks. When he wants to, he can be a dominating player.
    Weaknesses
    A raw prospect who only has played football for five years. Doesn't possess an explosive burst as a pass rusher. Has such great strength, but doesn't use it to his advantage enough as a pass rusher. Needs to develop counter moves to become a more effective pass rusher. Plays with inconsistent technique. Has trouble playing with his hands and shedding blocks consistently. Struggles to locate the ball at times. Lacks the athleticism to make plays in space and in pursuit.
    Projection
    Late First Round-Early Second Round. One of the top DT prospects in the 2011 NFL Draft, but because of his size, he will be limited to playing in a 4-3 scheme.

I agree with you that there's more to DT than strength. But, we're not talking about replacing KWill, we're looking for Pat's replacement. And for that guy, a big, block-eating, run-stuffing, "War Pig," strength is going to be very, very important. And, I'm just suggesting a later round option, in case BPA at 12 and 43 fit other needs.

This guy has us going Legit at 12. (pun intended)

This might seem high for Liuget (pronounced Legit how awesome is that) but I think he has a chance to go this high. I am really high on him as a defensive tackle prospect and I think he could be a great fit in Minnesota. They figure to continue running the Cover-2 scheme with Leslie Frazier assuming the head coaching vacancy left by Brad Childress but I think DT is a huge need for them right up there with QB and Safety. There is no safety worth this selection, and honestly I think they need to sign a stop-gap QB like Matt Hasselbeck or Kyle Orton if he is indeed a free agent (or Donovan McNabb if the Redskins do actually get rid of him) because any of the QBs they could pick in this draft will need time before they can step in and start. There is not a Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco or Mark Sanchez in this draft class. So, I think the Vikings should fill one of their other needs with a BPA pick here and honestly Liuget might be that guy. When I put together my new DT rankings he will probably be #3 behind only Dareus and Fairley. He would play very well next to Kevin Williams because he is very strong and holds up pretty well versus the run but can also penetrate, make plays in the backfield and get pressure on the QB. Plus he would inject some talent at a position that desperately needs it because outside of Kevin Williams the cupboard is pretty bare.
    http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/category/nfl-draft-mocks/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630900

At this point, there are three positions that we have seen the Vikings looking at: QB, DT, and TE. Frazier mentioned getting younger and better specifically at DT. Multiple reports have stated the Vikes are looking at TEs and QB is obvious. My gut feeling is that we'll see 3 QBs go in the top ten, cuz there are so many needs, lil available in FA, and lots of picks before their next chance.

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1092063
    I agree with you that there's more to DT than strength. But, we're not talking about replacing KWill, we're looking for Pat's replacement. And for that guy, a big, block-eating, run-stuffing, "War Pig," strength is going to be very, very important. And, I'm just suggesting a later round option, in case BPA at 12 and 43 fit other needs.

This guy has us going Legit at 12. (pun intended)

This might seem high for Liuget (pronounced Legit how awesome is that) but I think he has a chance to go this high. I am really high on him as a defensive tackle prospect and I think he could be a great fit in Minnesota. They figure to continue running the Cover-2 scheme with Leslie Frazier assuming the head coaching vacancy left by Brad Childress but I think DT is a huge need for them right up there with QB and Safety. There is no safety worth this selection, and honestly I think they need to sign a stop-gap QB like Matt Hasselbeck or Kyle Orton if he is indeed a free agent (or Donovan McNabb if the Redskins do actually get rid of him) because any of the QBs they could pick in this draft will need time before they can step in and start. There is not a Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco or Mark Sanchez in this draft class. So, I think the Vikings should fill one of their other needs with a BPA pick here and honestly Liuget might be that guy. When I put together my new DT rankings he will probably be #3 behind only Dareus and Fairley. He would play very well next to Kevin Williams because he is very strong and holds up pretty well versus the run but can also penetrate, make plays in the backfield and get pressure on the QB. Plus he would inject some talent at a position that desperately needs it because outside of Kevin Williams the cupboard is pretty bare.
    http://tommeltonscouting.wordpress.com/category/nfl-draft-mocks/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1630900

At this point, there are three positions that we have seen the Vikings looking at: QB, DT, and TE. Frazier mentioned getting younger and better specifically at DT. Multiple reports have stated the Vikes are looking at TEs and QB is obvious. My gut feeling is that we'll see 3 QBs go in the top ten, cuz there are so many needs, lil available in FA, and lots of picks before their next chance.
    I taken a long look at Liuget since his stock is rising.

Strengths
    Liuget has good size to play a number of positions. He's an ideal UT in a 4-3 alignment, but could also handle the DE (or NT on passing downs) in a 3-4. He's stout at the point of attack with a good anchor. He has violent hands and sheds blocks well to make the play. Excellent lower-body strength helps him bullrush on passing downs. He's nearly impossible to hold off on 1-on-1 situations. Gets good penetration and can split the double-team with his quickness. Liuget plays with good pad level and stays low, maintaining leverage. He's a high-energy player who hustles and will pursue to make plays from behind.
    Weaknesses
    Struggled with weight issues prior to junior season and it affected his conditioning, leading to limited playing time. Dropped 30 pounds prior to 2010 season and condition improved, although he played much of the season below 300 pounds. He'll need to increase his muscle mass and conditioning for the next level. Needs a bit more upper-body strength and has to develop a better arsenal of pass rush moves. Has a decent club move, but doesn't use it often enough. Relies too heavily on his athleticism at the collegiate level. Can get caught-up in the trash when trying to pursue. When playing on the edge, he too frequently loses contain.
    Projection
    Liuget needs to have a strong showing at the Combine, but it's not inconceivable to think he could be the third DT selected behind Fairley and Dareus. Right now is a very poor man's Warren Sapp, but with some NFL coaching and strength/conditioning, could become a Pro Bowl UT before long. He grades out as a mid-first to mid-second round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
    CDS Player Projection

I wonder if he can build the muscle he needs and still keep the weight under control. Very interesting prospect though but I still like Paea ahead of him.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast