Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Mock Draft- Thoughts Please!

I don't think Ginn will go that high.
    He is a track star, not a football player.
    He proved in this year's bowl game that the questions about his durability are justified.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

The Browns won't take Calvin Johnson, I don't think.
    And they are in need of a runningback much more than additional offensive linemen.
    Adrian Peterson goes at 3.

Jon kitna wasn't horrible last season but he wasn't good.
    He is 35 and I think they are committed to him as a starter next season but they need a guy to groom behind him and I don't see how the pass on Brady Quinn but if they do they will take Joe Thomas.

Tampa Bay is interesting because they could go in a lot of different ways.
    I think the it seems like they will take Calvin Johnson but I wouldn't be surprised if they shop this pick and (if they are #4 ) that would put them in our trade range.
    Meaning we would move up for a 3rd and 4th round pick, which I think would be worth it.
    (Draft pick values: http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft/draftvaluechart.asp)

Here is the thing though, I think the Bucs want Alan Branch.
    They need someone else in the middle since Booker left.
    Their WR corps is slightly above average but has a high Ceiling and you don't need a really dominant WR corps to win in the NFL.
    (Look at the Pats, Bears, and Saints). You just need guys who are solid and can make a few plays here or there and that is what they have.
    So I think they will be looking to trade the pick to move back a little bit where they can still take Alan Branch or Gaines Adams and some other team assures themselves Calvin Johnson.
    If a trade doesn't happen I think they pick Branch anyway.
    (Also, they have used their last 3 First round picks on offense, their GM may think it is time for some defense).

The Cards will take Joe Thomas because I think he will be available.
    If he isn't they could go with a Leon Hall or Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson even.
    The Redskins will pick either Adams or Hall.
    Then the Vikes get Calvin Johnson.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

PacMan21 is offline Starter

Thanks for all of your thoughts.

X84, I hope you're right that we can get Calvin Johnson. The only reason why I don't like the idea of trading up for a WR is because they take a long time to develope (usually) and even then, WR's are the biggest gamble in the draft. I'd love for us to get Calvin Johnson in round 1. But I don't like the idea of giving up other draft picks to get him.

I guess it will depend on what we can get in Free Agency.

If we can bring in Kris Dielman or Adalius Thomas, that would make things a bit more interesting come draft day.

But I also don't see us signing a ton of "big name" free agents this season.

Thanks for the sig PurplePeopleEaters

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

We have a lot of Salary Cap space so I expect to make one big Free Agent signing.
    In a different thread I described the three players we could potentially land (Leonard Davis, Nate Clements, Adalius Thomas).
    Unfortunately I think the Ravens are going to use the franchise tag on AT.

In another thread we also talked about WRs being more prone to be busts.
    Of course it is subjective, but 58% of first round WRs from 1998-2004 have had a least 1 very good season (some of them then had mediocre seasons) and that they are no more likely to be busts than any other position.
    Giving up a third and 4th round pick for Calvin Johnson is well worth it, IMO.

However, I do not (at this time) think that we will have too.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

PurpleGator is offline Hall of Famer

I still go back to my original thought.
    We need defense not WR's.

Let me correct that.
    We need WR's but not with the very first pick.
    It is too hit and miss.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"PacMan21" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I think that Michael Bush is a better pro prospect than Kenny Irons.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree that Michael Bush is a better prospect than Irons, but the Giants already have a big back in Brandon Jacobs, and could use Irons quickness since they lost Tiki Barber.
    The Giants would be better served by picking up Michael "The Burner" Turner from San Diego...he's a restricted free agent who has little mileage and will be an even more productive runner than Chester was for us this season.
    The Giants have other needs...probably at DB, since they lost both Wills in the last couple of years.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

maxinator11 is offline Rookie

HELLO?!?!?! did anyone see the vikings packers game week 16??? well i did, and i saw DROPPED PASSES, williamson is fast, but he hasn't come into his own yet... although people would say rookie recievers take time to come into their own, look at Marques Colsten w/ the Saints... I think Calvin Johnson, Ted Ginn Jr., or Dwayne Jarett need to be a viking, that's my opinion... we NEED a reciever... and one of those three can do it...

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    The Browns won't take Calvin Johnson, I don't think.
    And they are in need of a runningback much more than additional offensive linemen.
    Adrian Peterson goes at 3.

Jon kitna wasn't horrible last season but he wasn't good.
    He is 35 and I think they are committed to him as a starter next season but they need a guy to groom behind him and I don't see how the pass on Brady Quinn but if they do they will take Joe Thomas.

Tampa Bay is interesting because they could go in a lot of different ways.
    I think the it seems like they will take Calvin Johnson but I wouldn't be surprised if they shop this pick and (if they are #4 ) that would put them in our trade range.
    Meaning we would move up for a 3rd and 4th round pick, which I think would be worth it.
    (Draft pick values: http://www.theredzone.org/2005/draft/draftvaluechart.asp)

Here is the thing though, I think the Bucs want Alan Branch.
    They need someone else in the middle since Booker left.
    Their WR corps is slightly above average but has a high Ceiling and you don't need a really dominant WR corps to win in the NFL.
    (Look at the Pats, Bears, and Saints). You just need guys who are solid and can make a few plays here or there and that is what they have.
    So I think they will be looking to trade the pick to move back a little bit where they can still take Alan Branch or Gaines Adams and some other team assures themselves Calvin Johnson.

If a trade doesn't happen I think they pick Branch anyway.
    (Also, they have used their last 3 First round picks on offense, their GM may think it is time for some defense).

The Cards will take Joe Thomas because I think he will be available.
    If he isn't they could go with a Leon Hall or Gaines Adams or Jamaal Anderson even.
    The Redskins will pick either Adams or Hall.
    Then the Vikes get Calvin Johnson.
    That would be too good to be true...Calvin is gonna be mighty tempting to someone above us...unless he has a poor combine...which wouldn't bother me at all.
    The Skins will almost definitely take Adams....their interior DLine was HORRIBLE this past season.

BTW, it's BOOGER, not Booker that the Bucs sent to the Colts...LOL

"PurpleGator" wrote:
    I still go back to my original thought.
    We need defense not WR's.

Let me correct that.
    We need WR's but not with the very first pick.
    It is too hit and miss.
    UNLESS we have the opportunity to get CJ!!!

The Browns' pick will be the catalyst to the next several picks, I think.
    Do they take Joe Thomas, one of the DLinemen or Peterson.
    I hadn't thought that they might be interested in Peterson, since they already have Draughns coming back...plus remember they get LeCharles Bentley back at Center, so the running game will be better even if they don't add OLine help...but my gut tells me that they add Thomas for protection for Frye and stick with Draughns at RB.

goldseedlbg is offline Training Camp

That would an excellent excellent excellent draft for the vikings. Jamaal Anderson is just what we need. If G. Adams and J. Anderson are off the board when we pick then we should draft a wr. Since this draft is wr strong and de weak, we should draft the de in the first round. There will be a good wr on the board when we draft in the second round. Plus, not even 2 years ago we drafted a wr with the 7 pick over great defensive player(i.e. Merriman). Please tell how that has worked out?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast